• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Question about Mickey&Co on X.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ueki_168

Ever since I saw it, I've been slightly annoyed by the fact that Mockey&Co exist in the universe of X. So, I kinda know Unchained/Union X doesn't exist in the same reality as.. idk really... But the thing is: our characters go to every world inside the book of prophecies, like, they live the events of the future.

Or maybe I'm completely wrong and out of track. Exactly where do the adventures of KHUx take place? If it's a bazilion years before any of the events we know took place, Mocka should be a newborn at best. Again, I may be completely off-road, but I just don't match the setting of the game with Mickey, Nodald and Goob visiting us with nothing else than the Gummi-ship...

Please help me specify the setup of Union X. And sorry if this has been talked about earlier >_< !

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
I'm annoyed by that as well.
Even if they'll make an explanation (I doubt it), it woul'd've just been easier to not have them, at least not in Daybreak Town but in an illusionary world. Instead, now they're in the """real""" place without any definitive explanation that I know of.

Then again, unnecessary placement of Donald and Goofy in the series' timeline is nothing new.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Ever since I saw it, I've been slightly annoyed by the fact that Mockey&Co exist in the universe of X. So, I kinda know Unchained/Union X doesn't exist in the same reality as.. idk really... But the thing is: our characters go to every world inside the book of prophecies, like, they live the events of the future.

I'm annoyed by that as well.
Even if they'll make an explanation (I doubt it), it woul'd've just been easier to not have them, at least not in Daybreak Town but in an illusionary world. Instead, now they're in the """real""" place without any definitive explanation that I know of.

Then again, unnecessary placement of Donald and Goofy in the series' timeline is nothing new.

Short answer is, they're projections from the Book of Prophecies just like the Disney worlds and characters you visit, they just so happen to be projections being displayed in Daybreak Town. My thoughts, either these illusionary Mickey and co. does have a purpose further down the line, or it's just conventional fan service to remind you that this is still a conventional Kingdom Hearts game at its core.

Ans there's absolutely nothing annoying about their appearance in the game. In fact, it adds some much needed variety from the core plot and pointless slideshow side-quests in Daybreak Town. Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days didn't quite have the same Disney charm as the other games did because Mickey, Donald and Goofy seldom appeared.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Oh, look.
Something annoying.

Seriously, I'm struggling to comprehend how that is annoying? are you saying that out of sarcasm, or does it bother you that elements that have been made conventional in the Kingdom Hearts series is annoying to you?

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
I'm annoyed that a game made in the distant age, with a "look this is about different protagonists" vibe had to have the obligatory MDG cameo and that said cameo had to be in Daybreak Town throwing off how we thought illusions from the Book worked.
For "they're illusions from the Book but they just happen to be in Daybreak Town" don't even begin to cut it, that's what I meant with "they're there and we don't have an explanation for it".
The way they go about the Keyblade and their journey through worlds only makes everything more confusing about wether they're really travelling or they're illusions who believe are travelling through worlds.
I'm not saying it's impossible to understand it, that they totally shouldn't have done it or that it was out of character, I'm just saying it really wasn't all that necessary and it isn't well implemented. I feel like the dozens of medals about them were enough of a cameo, it's not like Disney wasn't present enough in X to justify them popping out.
Hence the annoying factor.

Last edited:

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I'm annoyed that a game made in the distant age, with a "look this is about different protagonists" vibe had to have the obligatory MDG cameo and that said cameo had to be in Daybreak Town throwing off how we thought illusions from the Book worked.
For "they're illusions from the Book but they just happen to be in Daybreak Town" don't even begin to cut it, that's what I meant with "they're there and we don't have an explanation for it".

The Book of Prophecies projects worlds, characters and events that have yet to take place. Mickey, Donald and Goofy just so happen to be the characters and events that have yet to take place. The Book of Prophecies doesn’t necessarily have to project world + character + event all at once, it can do them separately if it so desires proven by Mickey, Donald and Goofy’s cameo in Daybreak Town. Basically, remove the world from the equation and you’ve got justification for their cameo.

The way they go about the Keyblade and their journey through worlds only makes everything more confusing about wether they're really travelling or they're illusions who believe are travelling through worlds.

They’re clearly illusions who believe that they are travelling. Mickey is re-creating his Birth by Sleep scenario in which he uses the Star Shard to travel, whilst Donald and Goofy are re-creating the first Kingdom Hearts scenario in which they’re finding “the key”. Of course, the counter argument is, how can these cross-narratives work between Mickey, Donald and Goofy? Well, it’s been demonstrated in Chain of Memories that when an illusion is projected, it bespoke’s the illusion to the anomaly. For instance, when Sora visits Hollow Bastion, there’s a narrative with Belle, the Beast and Maleficent. With Riku on the other hand, the narrative is strictly between Riku and Maleficent.

So taking what occurred in Chain of Memories into account, we can place a similar scenario with Mickey, Donald and Goofy in which they are bespoke illusions. The only difference is that the source is The Book of Prophecies and not the memories of the individual. Think of Daybreak Town like Castle Oblivion and it’ll make more sense.

Ueki_168

Woah, so informative you guys. I haven't thought of it that way. What may have started all this is how the game handles it's own lore.

So, it is made very clear that medals are gifts from the Book of Prophecies, and represent the power of future characters and etc. But as for travelling to other worlds, Chirithy never makes it clear enough that it is an illusion. I do not want the game to give me information chewed for me. I repeat: I like figuring things out for myself, but I think the dialogues and narrative are sometimes misleading and tend to not be consistent about the lore.

The Book of Prophecies projects worlds, characters and events that have yet to take place. [...] The Book of Prophecies doesn’t necessarily have to project world + character + event all at once, it can do them separately if it so desires proven by Mickey, Donald and Goofy’s cameo in Daybreak Town. [...]

We have to guess that's the way it works, which is fine, but that leads to different interpretations of it. And that's what gives SE freedom to put any character they want in the game "because the BoP wanted it". What I'm saying is: keyblade wielders call upon the powers of the BoP, both to get medals (after donating an eye to a Moogle) and to project the worlds inside it to defeat darkness and gather lux thanks to it.

So until there, everything's fine. But when is it stapled that the book can do things on it's own? Does it have a will? Did somebody project Mickey because.. umm.. Maybe Ava is a fan?

I can picture Gula projecting Mocky to make Ava smile. Uhh I can feel the shipping...

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Did somebody project Mickey because.. umm.. Maybe Ava is a fan?

If I recall correctly part of the scenes involving Mickey, Donald and Goofy was also that Lady Invi was watching from a nearby rooftop...that may have something to do with it.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Woah, so informative you guys. I haven't thought of it that way. What may have started all this is how the game handles it's own lore.

So, it is made very clear that medals are gifts from the Book of Prophecies, and represent the power of future characters and etc. But as for travelling to other worlds, Chirithy never makes it clear enough that it is an illusion. I do not want the game to give me information chewed for me. I repeat: I like figuring things out for myself, but I think the dialogues and narrative are sometimes misleading and tend to not be consistent about the lore.

Actually, the player was never supposed to know that they were illusions to begin with, Chirithy was either unaware of the fact that they were illusions or it was under a non-disclosure agreement.

The only reason why we find out about the illusions is because Ephemer did his research and indulged us. He had insider knowledge at the time that the player wasn't really supposed to know, and the Disney worlds and characters being illusions was that insider knowledge. That's why travelling to other worlds isn't touched upon that often, because you're not really travelling to other worlds, you're just using illusion pathways disguised as Disney worlds to collect Lux.

If I recall correctly part of the scenes involving Mickey, Donald and Goofy was also that Lady Invi was watching from a nearby rooftop...that may have something to do with it.

It's a possibility that she used the power of the future to summon the power of an illusion Mickey to delay the inevitable, and a side effect of that was bringing an illusion Donald, Goofy, Chip and Dale into the mix.

Ueki_168

Actually, the player was never supposed to know that they were illusions to begin with, Chirithy was either unaware of the fact that they were illusions or it was under a non-disclosure agreement.

The only reason why we find out about the illusions is because Ephemer did his research and indulged us. He had insider knowledge at the time that the player wasn't really supposed to know, and the Disney worlds and characters being illusions was that insider knowledge. That's why travelling to other worlds isn't touched upon that often, because you're not really travelling to other worlds, you're just using illusion pathways disguised as Disney worlds to collect Lux.
Ohhhh, so that's why Ephemer's curiosity is so dangerous.

But I still remain with one question, that may be answered by the possible actions of Invi. Is the book still or alive in some way, shape or form?
That doesn't make it more excusable that M&Co appear just because. I don't like having game content delayed because of some filler content.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Ohhhh, so that's why Ephemer's curiosity is so dangerous.

But I still remain with one question, that may be answered by the possible actions of Invi. Is the book still or alive in some way, shape or form?
That doesn't make it more excusable that M&Co appear just because. I don't like having game content delayed because of some filler content.

Meh, It's a possibility that The Book of Prophecies is sentient, but that's highly unlikely. The books purposes is to transcribe the past, present and future through the Master of Master's all seeing eye. The Book of Prophecies just so happens to be magical and powerful enough to project what was transcribed. Because it's recording everything in real time (through the all seeing eye), the Book of Prophecies can use the powers of the most distant future.

As far as Mickey and Co. existence. Either they were intentionally summoned by someone (most likely Invi), or there's a plot element that has yet to be unveiled. At the end of the day, the story of Union X is a mobile game. The plot has to be designed to be bitesized, otherwise consumer interest for the game will fade quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back