• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

PSN Pass. Combating used game sales?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverslide

need some more candy cane
Source

The part you're looking for said:
SCEA responded to requests for comment this morning to clarify, saying this program requires customers to input a one-time use code to access a game's online capabilities, similar to EA's Online Pass introduced last year.

"We are always evaluating new programs for our online offering, and starting with Resistance 3 this September, we will be instituting a network pass program for PS3 games with online capabilities," the spokesperson said. "This program will be game-specific. Games that are a part of this program will include a single-use registration code that grants the account holder redeeming the code full online access for that title.

"This is an important initiative as it allows us to accelerate our commitment to enhancing premium online services across our first party game portfolio."

If you don't have a code to input, say if you purchase a game used, you'll have to buy one through the Store. It's unclear how much one of these PSN Pass codes will cost, however. Sony said it will announce additional details at a later date.

So this basically means that you will have to pay to play online on used games. Thoughts?

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards
It wouldn't be the first time this has been done for a game.

While they will likely say you have to pay to play online with a used game, the reality is you can just call up support and they'll give you a pass code. They just don't want too many people to know about that provision.

It's unfortunate that companies are having to do this, but I understand why from a business perspective, especially with the PSN and recent events.

Delsan

Killjoy Hillington
Awards
Meh. As long as we don't have to pay monthly I'm good.

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards
I don't mind really. Used games are killing some devs, and this'd be an alright way to fix it.

Hamster Lord

Atrocity Exhibition
Awards
blurgh does this apply to a brand new copy of resistance 3? as in the game comes with the code hopefully

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
Or Gamestop could keel over but that'll never happen

So glad I plays on exbawks <3

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards
Or Gamestop could keel over but that'll never happen

So glad I plays on exbawks <3

You essentially do the same thing on the Xbox... actually worse. They make you pay to play online, period. In addition there are games on the Xbox that do the same thing with a code. So..... myeah.

This is just a game that comes with a code for you to play online. You're not paying extra for the code in a new copy of the game. It's not the first, nor will it be the last time.

Also: Contrary to popular belief, GameStop is not the only retailer that buys/sells used games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back