• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Film ► Pixar`s Coco-2017

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I'll just wait for home release like I always do. Going to the theater is just a pain.

Speaking of pain, soooo I heard about Disney slapping on a 21-minute Olaf "short" before the movie proper. Apparently, it was originally intended to be a television special (hence the length) and all I can guess is that they realized barely anyone would willing watch it so they forced it on theatergoers.

People wouldn't have watched it if it wasn't on the Disney channel? Doesn't Frozen still have a sizable fanbase?

Well if people are starting to get sick of it that isn't good for the sequel.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I think he was joking. I know there were many people who went to see Cinderella a few years ago for the short only, so Disney probably repeated that tactic to help Coco's box office. I was annoyed they made it into a short, because it was supposed to be 40 minutes or so originally. Obviously they slashed it all over the place.

ImVentus

Awards
Guess that means I'll wait outside 21 min until the short is over, when it comes out in my country. Or maybe it get so much negativity that they ignore the short and just start Coco. The latter would be better in my opinion. I'd say Frozen is an ok movie but too much Frozen is too much. And if the short is only about songs then I'll definitely skip it.

DarkGrey Heroine

How much closer could I be?
Awards
*sweats nervously because the movie has lots of adorably-animated skeletons
I want to see this movie
it looks great ; w ;

Silver_Soul

Bronze Member
Awards
I really enjoyed this movie! Loving the Mexican representation with this movie and Super Mario Odyssey. I'm a happy Mexican :)

Knuxpyro56

The issue isn't that the Frozen short is bad (its passable) but its the fact that it shouldn't be infront of Coco to begin with. This "short" was actually a Christmas Special for ABC this year when it was announced last summer. I also think people are passed with the Frozen over abundance.

You had the movie, the actual short (in front of Cinderella), the ride at EPCOT, and now this special. And thats not yet counting the sequel that is coming. We are also getting into Stitch Territory when it comes with Frozen. Where the franchise gets So much exposure that it will backfire for Disney. Olaf, in particular keeps getting worse in each new thing he's in, as if his dialogue is becoming more simplified for children.

If Frozen just went the same route as Tangled and Big Hero 6, with just getting TV series, the "hatred" for the franchise wouldn't be as big.

Pokie

I really want to see this movie, but I don't want to be "held hostage " by the opening Frozen short, so I might wait till it's out on Bluray or DVD. 20 mins "short " before a movie is just, wrong. Frozen being a popular movie doesn't excuse it. I can see what Disney was thinking though, if Coco failed, then it would've had Frozen as it's back up.

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards
Well, Disney is removing the short this week, so those of you who are concerned you won't have to worry about that being an issue anymore. It's unfortunate because the short is actually very good, I think some of the complaints coming out of it are absolutely unfair, and its biggest problem is that you can tell it was cut down in some places. It would've been awesome as a longer feature, granted not before the movie, but I think its placement here is fine. I do understand that people feel the market is oversaturated with Frozen, and that's a complaint that I can't argue with.

Regardless, Coco is up there with some of Pixar's best. It's absolutely fantastic and shouldn't be missed. It's gorgeous, heartfelt, and just as unique and well-developed as Pixar's other good titles. It's a must-see.

ImVentus

Awards
I can't believe it's releasing on February where I reside. Everyone is raving about Coco and I'm trying to avoid spoilers but everyone keeps saying that you will cry and that it's a tearjerker. Sometimes I wonder why they delay animated films in some areas around the world?
It's been a tradition for like since Monsters Inc came out. The only movie that kept up to date with it's premiere release has been Zootopia. Which was very odd but very appreciated.

I just really want to see another good Pixar movie after the disappointing and misleading Cars 3.

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards
I can't believe it's releasing on February where I reside. Everyone is raving about Coco and I'm trying to avoid spoilers but everyone keeps saying that you will cry and that it's a tearjerker. Sometimes I wonder why they delay animated films in some areas around the world?
It's been a tradition for like since Monsters Inc came out. The only movie that kept up to date with it's premiere release has been Zootopia. Which was very odd but very appreciated.

I just really want to see another good Pixar movie after the disappointing and misleading Cars 3.

I liked Cars 3. It was no top-tier Pixar film, but I thought it was quite good.

It really is unfortunate that you have to wait so long. I would assume that it is holiday related and comes out based on school schedules in the UK, but without living there myself I hardly have an answer. My favorite part apart the film industry is getting to experience a movie right when it comes out and be a part of that early discussion, breaking things down for the first time and learning about it through seeing it, not from hearing about it. What a bummer.

DarkGrey Heroine

Awards
Regardless, Coco is up there with some of Pixar's best. It's absolutely fantastic and shouldn't be missed. It's gorgeous, heartfelt, and just as unique and well-developed as Pixar's other good titles. It's a must-see.

Thanks man, it's really encouraging to hear such a good impression
This being said, I'm considering going to the cinema this weekend to see it!
a51bb66a14e8eaced9bc4b9341f6e18b-d5g6s2x.gif
spinningbone_darkblue_by_drache_lehre-d5u3e9g.gif
a51bb66a14e8eaced9bc4b9341f6e18b-d5g6s2x.gif

ImVentus

Awards
I liked Cars 3. It was no top-tier Pixar film, but I thought it was quite good.

It really is unfortunate that you have to wait so long. I would assume that it is holiday related and comes out based on school schedules in the UK, but without living there myself I hardly have an answer. My favorite part apart the film industry is getting to experience a movie right when it comes out and be a part of that early discussion, breaking things down for the first time and learning about it through seeing it, not from hearing about it. What a bummer.

You're right. Cars 3 wasn't bad but it did suffer and lack the charm from the first.
My main complaint about how Cars 3 was executed was how badly insulted Lightning McQueen's character was treated throughout the film. McQueen deserved better than being reminded called, old as an insult. Millennials were also very badly depicted and more treated as bad stereotypes. even Cruz treated McQueen ignorantly at the beginning. I also didn't like how the climax was handled and would had done fine with a different ending with a much more serious tone and feel. But other than that I thought Cars 3 was fine. But it could have been so much better and I wished that it would had been more serious in tone. I also think that the Rusteze Racing Center should have already existed and McQueen would be more respected by his peers as legendary racer at that point. Just some thing I would had changed in the script. Since Ive already worked on my own take of Cars 3.

Yeah waiting for Coco is not the funniest thing to do, but I patiently await to watch it. From what Ive seen it looks both stunning and emotional. Ive listened to Remember Me and I love that song. But it's kind of funny that Coco will most likely be ready for home release in US when I get to see it.

DarkGrey Heroine

Awards
I watched it yesterday and I adore this movie!! The narrative was clever, dynamic and unpredictable many, many times, the characters felt so "natural" and the music was simpy perfect for a classical guitar lover like me! It runs in my family - singing and playing instruments - thus I could relate to the closeness music brings between the members of a family. Ah, and the chords were precisely right each time! A lot of care for details ; w ; The skeleton animation was so magnificently done, the skeleton hands, the skele-breathing, the... skeleton hugs and kisses! Perfection level over 9000
Would recommend to anyone who loves animation and good characters!

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards
I watched it yesterday and I adore this movie!! The narrative was clever, dynamic and unpredictable many, many times, the characters felt so "natural" and the music was simpy perfect for a classical guitar lover like me! It runs in my family - singing and playing instruments - thus I could relate to the closeness music brings between the members of a family. Ah, and the chords were precisely right each time! A lot of care for details ; w ; The skeleton animation was so magnificently done, the skeleton hands, the skele-breathing, the... skeleton hugs and kisses! Perfection level over 9000
Would recommend to anyone who loves animation and good characters!

Glad you liked it! It is absolutely crazy how far the animation quality has come, even when just looking back a few years ago to stuff like Frozen, Tangled, and Brave.

ImVentus

Awards
So I finally had the chance to see Coco and my overall thoughts on the film were very positive.
I think the film really is strong but I would not call it original. Instead a wonderful portrayal of the holiday Dia De Muertos.

It had a likeable cast.
The music was fantastic and I loved the score made by Michael Giacchino it sounded very fitting for the setting.
The animation looked stunning.

However! I was not much a fan of turning Ernesto into a (spoilers). It left a bad taste but it had to be made in order to conclude that arc at the end. But while I see that animated movies are really trying to say "Family comes first" In some cases that couldn't be further from the truth. Some grow up in families that include abuse and manipulation leading to a traumatic adulthood. One scene in particular that really made me upset was when Miguel had his entire family against him, destroying his guitar.
While I do see what the message is in Coco it can be a mixed reaction. But as it's portrayed in Coco it's done with real care.

Coco is a wonderful film and I think I will re-visit it again soon.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
This movie is beautiful, it made me cry twice and the themes of memories of a loved one resonate to me on a personal level. I loved everything about it, Miguel and Hector are lovable characters, and there's not a single flaw about the movie in my opinion. Yes, there's a villain, but he's played out differently, I like how natural he was into the plot, and Coco, don't get me started on how much I love Coco. This movie is just as good as Inside Out in my opinion and I;m glad that John Lasseter's sexual misconduct has not damaged the success of this movie.

[video=youtube;ImutnoiBixY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImutnoiBixY[/video]

Just listen to this song, this alone should convince you to go see this movie. PLEASE, SEE THIS MOVIE!

However! I was not much a fan of turning Ernesto (spoilers).

I liked it, I felt that it was a necessity and provides a harsh reality of the music industry. Pixar are kings when it comes to portraying adult realities in the context of a kids movie and Ernesto's role accomplishes that too a tee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back