• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Online Multiplayer?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

WarpChaos

Is it possible BBS will have online Multiplayer? I think it is more likely since you can't just carry around your PS3 with you everywhere, and Local only supports 4 players. Thoughts?

Noel

Awards
It would be awesome for them to do that. Although I'd say to give it online multiplayer will take a good chunk of time to create.
They would have to create a whole line of code and video game magic to do that. I'm also positive since they are using the 3D engine, it wouldn't be possible considering that they didn't added any multiplayer aspect to it already. Again it would take an amount of time to alter the engine to allow it to run online multiplayer, let alone local.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
It's possible, and many folks here are quite anticipating it. I'm not very sure about the resources and bandwidth required since I'm not well versed in that department, nor do I need to go over the details on how much I myself want it to happen... but let me just say that I personally believe omitting MP from BbS' Mirage Arena would be quite a waste of potential.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
It would be awesome for them to do that. Although I'd say to give it online multiplayer will take a good chunk of time to create.
They would have to create a whole line of code and video game magic to do that. I'm also positive since they are using the 3D engine, it wouldn't be possible considering that they didn't added any multiplayer aspect to it already. Again it would take an amount of time to alter the engine to allow it to run online multiplayer, let alone local.

Mirage Arena was already capable of going online via Ad-Hoc. You'd be paired up with somebody randomly.

All they have to do is set up a lobby infrastructure and pay for servers to maintain the online features and they are good to go. It's a fairly easy set up if you know what you are doing.

3D engine? What are you even talking about?

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
Probably he understood it as MP during the main story gameplay, which wasn't present in the PSP version. That might explain why he thought "a whole line of code and video game magic" is required.

To tell the truth, though, whenever I hear the words "online" and "BbS" in the same topic of discussion, I always immediately think of Mirage Arena and not the possibility of having online play in the story mode.

Noel

Awards
3D engine? What are you even talking about?
I remember reading in a interview a while back for KH 1.5, that they would be using the Dream Drop Distance engine for the HD re-release. I've never played Dream Drop Distance before, but I'm certain there was no Online/Co-Op feature included. (Which might pull off the local multiplayer entirely) I'm usually interested in Game's engines, to see how their tick. Just needing a sever isn't really what they all need. Although that is the extent of my knowledge so i could be wrong.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Wasn't that only talking about using the updated character models from Dream Drop?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I remember reading in a interview a while back for KH 1.5, that they would be using the Dream Drop Distance engine for the HD re-release. I've never played Dream Drop Distance before, but I'm certain there was no Online/Co-Op feature included. (Which might pull off the local multiplayer entirely) I'm usually interested in Game's engines, to see how their tick. Just needing a sever isn't really what they all need. Although that is the extent of my knowledge so i could be wrong.

No, they said they were using the updated models from KH3D for Sora, Riku, Kairi, etc. It has no bearing on the engine used. You are entirely wrong.

They have to pay for servers to maintain lobbies if they want to have a non-randomized online gameplay feature.

Noel

Awards
If it was just the Character models. Then I darn gwarsh gone goofed.

Edit: I goofed. My mistake

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
It would be great on Square Enix's part to give us an online compatible Mirage Arena, really. It could keep us very busy until Kingdom Hearts III is released (which should happen in 2015 or 2016, so a year or two of wait). Unless they have a game up their sleeves for the 3DS, Wii U or Vita (which I doubt myself, seriously, just wishful thinking). Then again, HD "Remasters" tend to be fast cash grabs so I do not have high expectations, but like they say, one can always hope.

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
Honestly, even if they didn't want to pay for servers to allow us to make lobbies and just made it an online random pairing service, sure it would suck not being able to meet up with friends, but I would at least take that over nothing. BbS not having multiplayer will not only disappoint so many people, but it would really hurt in the game I think overall since besides us wanting it, it seems a lot of casual fans are expecting it <_<

Awards
I think it is essential that it's there. I know me and several of my friends are looking forward to it, some of them being just casual fans.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
I can't not see it being adjusted for the PS3, but you never know. Multiplayer in general is a feature that's just been very underutilized in the series. This is their chance to make it shine and broaden the scope significantly.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Am I the only one who cares more about splits-screen multiplayer than online? I can't see Square investing enough in a low-budget collection of old games to pay for online servers. Even if they did how long would they stay active before being shut down? A couple of years tops?

I know multiple people personally who would be willing to play a few quick MA sessions here & there. Would make more sense for them to play it with me in the same room on the same console rather than telling them to buy their own PS3.

Last edited:

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
Am I the only one who cares more about splits-screen multiplayer than online? I can't see Square investing enough in a low-budget collection of old games to pay for online servers. Even if they did how long would they stay active before being shut down? A couple of years tops?

While I can't speak for anyone but myself, I, personally, am much more partial to the online portion, even if it only stayed up for a year at best, because:

1. How would the split screen work? I mean, the second player doesn't have a character to play as (with stats, keyblades, commands, etc.) so unless they just "stole one of the other characters" which would mean we would only be able to have 1 type of Aqua, Ventus, and Terra to choose from, I can't see it being as fun.

2. The multiplayer in this game can handle up to 6, split screen 6 ways is just too much. Heck, I can't see split screen 4 given how could someone read the commands?

It just seems like the multiplayer was made for online or ad-hoc, not so much on the same screen (plus, nobody by me really would want to play like you guys here would).

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

I know multiple people personally who would be willing to play a few quick MA sessions here & there. Would make more sense for them to play it with me in the same room on the same console rather than telling them to buy their own PS3.

That might be you, but I don't know anybody remotely close to me who has the free time to even bother coming over to play and that probably accounts for a large number of fans. And with how many people can join in MA, you'd be looking at a six-screen split. That's rather junky overall.

Well yeah. That is usually how long companies maintain online services, regardless. Online multiplayer never lasts forever. As long as they keep the ability to go offline like it is already in BBS and make trophies that are accomplishable without the need for online play, then there is no problem with it.

I really dislike multiplayer in general, but I'd prefer if they went online with it and make the best out of a bland feature.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
No, not yet... although it sure will be the topic that many people will be interested in when the time has come.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
While I can't speak for anyone but myself, I, personally, am much more partial to the online portion, even if it only stayed up for a year at best, because:

1. How would the split screen work? I mean, the second player doesn't have a character to play as (with stats, keyblades, commands, etc.) so unless they just "stole one of the other characters" which would mean we would only be able to have 1 type of Aqua, Ventus, and Terra to choose from, I can't see it being as fun.

2. The multiplayer in this game can handle up to 6, split screen 6 ways is just too much. Heck, I can't see split screen 4 given how could someone read the commands?

It just seems like the multiplayer was made for online or ad-hoc, not so much on the same screen (plus, nobody by me really would want to play like you guys here would).
1. Multiple player profiles with their own save files. Don't a lot of multiplayer games on the PS3 already do that?

2. Resize the HUDs for splitscreen, or sit closer to the tv. & it doesn't have to be the full 6 players, 4 would suffice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back