• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Official Re:Coded Secret Movie "Destiny" Subtitles

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
Yeah but applying that logic to this is absolutely ridiculous because the only time people theorize based on the original Japanese version is when the English is not available, which it now is.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this subject. Personally I don't think things quite work that way, but we've come to a collision.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
So you're saying that we should not even take the english translation of any game seriously?..

Actually, no we shouldn't. Things get lost and changed in translation and ruins the purity of the meaning that is supposed to be derived in Japanese. Because things like lip flaps, cultural differences, flow, context, and so on have to be taken in account, you will find that no translation is 1:1. Sometimes a whole concept is changed because it couldn't be aptly explained in English.

It is certainly fine to accept an official English translation, but it is not always more accurate and that is the point being made. In this case the words explain the same thing, but in two different ways that lose the original meaning from the Japanese version and gain a new one in English.

I'm more partial to believe the Japanese one until we reach a point where Nomura might discuss the secret ending in 2.5 in some eventual interview that will happen sometime in the future for a recap of our current mysteries to be resolved in KH3.

(I should note KH2 suffers greatly from this kind of issue, and Days HD Theater to an extent as well. )

Gram

Banned
Awards
Yeah but applying that logic to this is absolutely ridiculous because the only time people theorize based on the original Japanese version is when the English is not available, which it now is.

It's not ridiculous and your assuming the version you found is the official one. Like Spockanort mentions things are lost in every translation. Its fine to go by the english one but it is by no means above error which we see in KH2 and Days (1.5).

I personally don't consider anything "legit" till it's in the version of the game I can understand that's released officially by the company itself. Even if open to error it's still the version chosen by the makers which makes it as close to "legit" as we can get without actually speaking Japanese ourselves.

You've already been given plenty of examples of Japanese being read different ways but covering the same topic, the Lingering Will/Sentiment case being the biggest as it also has multiple sources for Sentiment but it was Will that was chosen.

You seem to be taking it personally like everyone's saying your wrong. They're not. They're saying translation is a subject easily open to error, multiple variations, and subject to the translators own judgement.

Translation isn't just finding the meaning of one word in one language within another language, it's about adapting what's being told in a way that it can be understood to the people of the second language. Culture, context, social standards, all that is placed into a translation.

Just look at the comparisons between KHI and your vids:

BRAIG: That was more difficult than I thought, but at least things are on track.
BRAIG: Lord Xemnas is nowhere to be seen, so that means...the party's already begun, huh?
BRAIG: Man, does that Xehanort scare me like nobody's business, the way he can see into minds.
BRAIG: And it doesn't help that no one knows what it is that the old man wants.
BRAIG: I wonder if even you know what's going on inside your own head.
YOUNG XEHANORT: I will be led...wherever it is I am destined to go.
BRAIG: Sounds to me like you don't have a clue of your own.
YOUNG XEHANORT: Every Keyblade master is bequeathed a Keyblade of his very own.
YOUNG XEHANORT: With the passing of time, as you can imagine, more and more Keyblades were forged to be handed down.
YOUNG XEHANORT: But of all the keyblades in existence, Master Xehanort's is the most ancient.
YOUNG XEHANORT: That is my destiny.
YOUNG XEHANORT: But it has yet...to become a reality.
BRAIG: Hey, it's okay.
BRAIG: This is all connected to the ancient Keyblade War, isn't that right?
BRAIG: Whatever. I got my hands full with my own plans.
BRAIG: So, which poor soul will it be?
Braig: This was a pain to set up, but it looks like it went according to plan.

Braig: If our boss Xemnas isn't here, that means it's already started, hasn't it?

YMX: Yeah.

Braig: Man, Grandpa Xehanort sure is scary.

Braig: How many steps ahead can he see?

Braig: Plus, I don't actually really understand what his true goal is.

Braig: Do *you* even understand your own self?

YMX: The target I ought to head towards, my destiny, is decided.

Braig: In other words, you still don't really understand, do you?

YMX: Most Keyblade Masters inherit a Keyblade that has been passed down.

YMX: This long history has seen the number of apprentices grow.

YMX: The number of passed down Keyblades has also grown, but,

YMX: among them, there is one blade older than all others...

YMX: The very Keyblade that Master Xehanort wields.

YMX: It's a will that is passed on.

YMX: I don't have it in my own hands yet.

Braig: I *see*.

Braig: So that, too, is connected to the Keyblade War, then.

Braig: Oh well. Guess I'll head towards my own goals.

Braig: Then, who will I take with me?

In both versions Braig expresses in some form it was a pain but that the plan is on track, he expresses that he finds Xehanorts ability for foresight scary, he mentions having his own plans, questions how well YX knows even himself and questions which one of the characters laying there that he/they will take.

Young Xehanort as well expresses in both the age of Xehanort's keyblade, that every keyblade is inherited/bequeathed/passed down, expresses how he's yet to have a keyblade as well as that he doesn't know MX's plan only that it's a destiny he's being lead too, and that the number of keyblade and wielder has increased with time.

The only real differences between these versions is the mention of the word "will" and that yours makes Braig and YX less suspect (which is why I prefer it). That is literally all.
It's like the KH2 Roxas bit all over again. Roxas asks Sora why he was chosen but how he asked can be interrupted in several ways such as "why did he", "why did it" and "why were you".

Last edited:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
[video=youtube;gXuSeWopdo8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXuSeWopdo8[/video]

2:52:55

Looks like they were the official subtitles after all :p

Nobody was arguing that. The argument was that even official translations are not 100% accurate to the original intention of the Japanese script. That point still stands. You have not proven anything.

Gram

Banned
Awards
I didn't say I had proven anything, I was just stating that these have turned out to be the official English subtitles after all. :)
But it was posted/worded in such a manner that it came off that you had proven something or that you triumphed over someone telling you it wasn't the official version which isn't what the debate was about.
Though that's another matter.

I'm glad this version is the one chosen for reasons I gave on the first page. Makes YX seem less traitorous which I still don't buy and gits into how he behaved in DDD better plus the lack of a "will" makes it less likely to get a "man behind the man" scenario with Xehanort which has already been nailed into the ground with this series with Xehanort himself.

So does this mean both Braig and Xigbar are a part of the Seekers of Darkness?
Depends on what Braig means by his own plans.

Last edited:

Draxem

Website
www.taystrippedbear.com
But it was posted/worded in such a manner that it came off that you had proven something or that you triumphed over someone telling you it wasn't the official version which isn't what the debate was about.
Though that's another matter.

I'm glad this version is the one chosen for reasons I gave on the first page. Makes YX seem less traitorous which I still don't buy and gits into how he behaved in DDD better plus the lack of a "will" makes it less likely to get a "man behind the man" scenario with Xehanort which has already been nailed into the ground with this series with Xehanort himself.

No no, I was just pretty happy I'd found something that turned out to be real and felt like it needed a post now it had been confirmed :)

I don't think YX is going to betray Xehanort, and now I don't think Xehanort is anyone re-incarnated whatsoever, I think he went looking for the goatblade himself as opposed to inheriting it from anybody. It'll be fun to see how peoples theories change with the english translations.

Bethany Frye

Website
www.youtube.com
If Xehanort inherited his keyblade...would that mean he had some sort of master or was it just handed to him randomly like a family heirloom? Either way I can't wait to learn more about all of this. I'd like to see some flashbacks with Xehanort on Destiny Islands 'cause we never got to see much of the main island.

Gram

Banned
Awards
I don't think YX is going to betray Xehanort, and now I don't think Xehanort is anyone re-incarnated whatsoever, I think he went looking for the goatblade himself as opposed to inheriting it from anybody. It'll be fun to see how peoples theories change with the english translations.

Very possible. The goat keyblades age keeps getting pointed out in any translation so it's important in some way. So I think it'd make sense, and be preferable, if it was something Xehanort sought while researching the keyblade war.
Mickey sought out the kingdom key D in KH1 so we know it's possible to seek and find them if your a wielder/master.

WhinyAcademic

Awards
Depends on what Braig means by his own plans.

Could be easier for Xehanort, just have both the Braig that came back as a Somebody, and then his Nobody Xigbar. Braig already had a piece of Xehanort's heart in him when he became a Nobody; Xigbar/Braig could just be a two for one deal. Same goes for Saix/Isa, having both. That would have us at MX, YMX, Ansem, Xemnas, Braig, Xigbar, Isa, and Saix. If they have Terranort, there's nine out of thirteen we know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back