• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Mech RP Interest Check

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Why do we need all these layers to justify mechs? I already said to not get bogged down in that stuff, and it's only there to better flesh out the world. We've already committed ourselves to the fact the central element of this roleplay will be giant fighting robots, so stop diddlying worrying about world building.

MrFlarion

I can give you loads of information about politics. Give me one second though, kind of tied. This post may only be half complete when I submit it.

We want something that's a dystopia. They're usually more interesting. Victorian politics were a little different than today's. Imperialism was a huge deal especially. How do you make that into a mech RP? I'm not quite sure. Never really seen it done. I think Code Geass sort of does it though.

If you don't like that, we can make something up. I'm kind of rewatching G Gundam, actually, and the idea of nations dukeing it out for a territory in an international contest ever few years (kind of like the Olympics) does kind of have a draw to me ATM. Mech Olympics? Is that a useful idea?

I'll submit some links in my next post. I studied this era very thoroughly when I was in highschool because there was this book I wanted to write that was Steampunk. Also, trains would be interesting for this RP, even if they're not historically accurate. You won't believe how much fast transportation changed everything in the industrial world. That's something we can look into if we're having mechs.

I'll probably submit more details in my next post. I have other forums I need to jump to first. In the meantime:

The Victorian Web: An Overview

I don't know if this is just me, but I find this interesting. A secret brotherhood. Never really researched it that thoroughly though:

Pre-Raphaelites: An Introduction

It's the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood. You guys don't have to read this all, and I'll probably distill stuff anyway when I get to this later for easier consumption.

If you're familiar with Superheroes (or at least know about them) the rise of the idea of costume fighters started around this era with characters like the Scarlet Pimpernel. Penny Dreadfuls, which are pulp books of the era, had characters like Spring-heeled jack. The idea of vigilantism alongisde some kind of territorial tournaments, if that's what you guys wanna do, might be interesting. The Scarlet Pimpernel is this character who rescued aristocrats during the French Revolution.

Feel free to bounce things around while I'm checking stuff out.

MrFlarion

In short, I think I'm leaning towards a global military despotism. Something where transportation, trade, a lot of things are fueled by international militarism. Something like a global despotism.

Maybe we can call it the Military Trade Confederation. I don't know. That's my laydown on all this. Though you kind of have to go to the early 1900s to get to a world like this. I'm thinking post-Victorian. I'll think of the policies for this kind of thing in another post. The last one was mostly about culture.

Klom89

Website
www.fanfiction.net
Ok.........I believe it's time to properly move things along. This has stewed long enough.

Dieselpunk setting, hinging on the response of the world's nations to....something. The responses can and will influence international interaction and spur conflict and allegiances.

In fact, Flarion's Olympics idea is sort of appealing. Maybe an event at the Olympics spur actual wars on the outside? Would justify the mechs, setting, and political instability all in one referential frame.

Why do we need all these layers to justify mechs? I already said to not get bogged down in that stuff, and it's only there to better flesh out the world. We've already committed ourselves to the fact the central element of this roleplay will be giant fighting robots, so stop diddlying worrying about world building.

Sorry if I sound rude, not my intention. Miscommunication, maybe? :3

But, world building is what will seperate this RP from just being a Battle Thread. (Which granted, I am still open to should plans change, but I digress.) We're going for a plot, not just the robots. This isn't gonna be Pacific Rim: Steampunk. At least, not ATM. XD

I understand where you're coming from, though. It IS easy to be consumed by the finicky details. But in an experimental genre such as this, the details are the overall framework. They ARE plot points, to keep it simple.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back