• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Mark of Lightning

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

khfreak17

In my own little world, hiding from the monster ca
Website
waytotwilight.deviantart.com
Please comment. I might finish this, and I might not. But... oh well. It's based off 2 of my favourite books, by the way.

It was a normal day. Well, as normal as it could get when you lived in a cage. Yes, we lived in a cage. Me and my friends/family of 5 teens. Briar, Jezabel (Jez), Damon, Val, Galen, and me, Rai. We were... different. Most people called us freaks. Why, you ask? We are part animal, part human. Cool, right? Nope. Not even close. We were captured for what we are. You could say that we were freaks who didn't deserve to live.

Briar is half panther, changing completely into it. She's the youngest of all of us at 14.

Jez is part lion. Complete with a tail, ears, retractable teeth and claws, and a patch of golden fur running down her spine. She's 15.

Damon is odd. He has floppy brown dog ears. That's pretty much it. He's 15 too.

Val. He's a big, muscley guy. Like a bear. Which is what he is. Black, shaggy hair, retractable claws and teeth (like Jez). He's 16.

Me and Galen are related by blood. We're both 17 and we transform into cats; Galen, a gleaming gold leopard. Me, an orange-and-black Bengal Tiger. And, get this... we have dragon wings. Impossible, right? Wrong. We're not sure how that little bit got into our DNA. But it did. And now we're stuck with it.

So, that's us. And our life is a living nightmare. Sure, we get a cool habitat-thing. But we also get experimented on. We all have slash marks on our backs. The people who caught us, the Rangers, tatooed marks on us to show who we are: two small lightning bolts on the left side of our necks. If you're like any of us, don't come to the zoo in Salem, Oregon. Or you will end up regretting it...

khfreak17

Website
Chapter One

I was panting, trying to get away from the Rangers. I had never been this far from the zoo before. I could smell the ocean, even though it was dozens of miles away. 'I can't outrun them like this,' I thought to myself. I needed to Change. But I couldn't risk it, not with the Rangers' dogs behind me. But I had to, or I would die. Taking in a deep breath, I willed the tiger in me to come out.

I felt my ears spring up from my head, my tail out behind me. My joints pushed and pulled every which way, my muscles tensing and shifting. I jumped over a fallen tree and landed on all four orange-and-black striped paws, propelling myself forward. It was wonderful to feel free like this. But something was missing. Then I felt two spots in the center of my back pulse with a pleasureable pain.

Glancing around, I saw my wings emerge from the fur, 9 and a half feet of beautiful golden-orange transparent web. Turning my head back around, I dashed forward faster and broke through the trees into a clearing about 50 feet wide. I jumped into the air and unfurled my wings, moving the right muscles to make them go up and down.

As I gained altitude, I glanced back and saw the Rangers and their dogs run into the clearing and look up. One of them raised a gun and fired, but it was too far off to the side. I flew off above the grove of trees, towards the sunrise, towards the mountains where Galen and the others had escaped to nearly three weeks ago.

~**~

My eyes flew open as i bolted upright from my sleeping position, breathing hard and trying to figure out what was going on. I sighed when my flailing hand felt Damon's floppy brown ears amongst a tangle of brown-blonde hair. He moaned and his hand came up to wave off my own. As my eyes ajusted to the darkness of the cave and the night, I saw that my pack, as I liked to call them, was all here.

I stood up and walked, cat quiet, to the cave entrance and looked up at the beautiful night sky. I unfurled my wings and flew up to the ledge sheltered by the lone bonsai tree that I liked to sit on. I landed on one of the branches and folded my wings onto my back, looking out over the sky.

A little while later, Galen came up, landing beside me.

"Are you okay?" he asked. I sighed, looking down.

"I had that dream again," I whispered.

"Which one?"

"The one where I'm running from the Rangers. And I Change and fly away to where you guys are. But..." I paused. Galen put an arm around my shoulders.

"It's okay. We'll get out of here soon. I promise." Then he gave me a hug. Okay, I know that's it wierd that a brother would hug you. But he's a good brother anyways. When he let go of me, I was smiling.

"Thanks."

khfreak17

Website
Chapter Two

“Go on! Do it!” the Ranger shouted at me, poking the tip of the knife into my face.

In order for the Rangers to not get caught by the cops, we were forced to change into our animal forms. Jez, Val, and Damon couldn’t fully change, so they gave them something that transformed them. So, standing before me, was a lioness, a brown dog, and a black bear. Briar was standing a little off to the side somewhere, and Galen was behind me, still human.

“Do it!” my Ranger shouted again, slashing the knife at my face. I dodged it and punched him in the face, going for a quick-Change. (Not in any way pleasant.) In seconds, a pissed-off tiger was standing over him, the knife in my tail. Somebody grabbed my scruff and dragged me off. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a leopard standing a few feet off, being held back, as was everybody else.

The Ranger whom I attacked got up and grabbed the knife, which had fallen out of my tail, and walked towards me while others held me back from going at him again. He leaned into my face and I almost bit his nose off.

“Fiesty, are we?” he asked. Then he raised the knife and dragged it across my face in a diagonal slash starting above my left eye and ending below my right.

I yowled in pain as the blood spread quickly through my fur. The Rangers dropped me and walked out of the cave, leaving us alone.

‘Rai!’ said a voice in my mind. I looked up and saw Val lumbering towards me. But Galen beat him.

'Are you okay?" a feminine voice asked. Briar was standing next to me, concern in her green eyes.

'Yeah. I'm fine,' I thought. 'I think...'

Since we couldn't understand eachother when we talked, we figured out that we could communicate through eachother's mind. But only when we were in full animal form.

I saw Jez come over and look at my face, parting the fur with her paws and looking at the cut. (Apparently, lionesses are really good with injuries.)

'It doesn't look too bad,' she thought. 'It should heal fairly quickly. But there's going to be a scar.'

I shrugged out of her grasp and padded towards the entrance. 'That's the least of my problems.'

As I walked out of the cave, the clock at the front of the zoo chimed 9 times. Opening time. I heard kids shrieking and yelling at eachother, telling their parents where to go. We were at the very back of the zoo, so it normally took a while to get to us. But not today.

There was a kindergarten field trip today, so there were kids here in minutes. One kid saw me and Galen at the pond, shaking water from my fur and looked at Galen.

'We should freak them out,' I thought.

Galen smiled. 'We should. And we could get the Rangers in trouble.'

I nodded and climbed up on a huge rock, looking towards the kid. His parents were talking to him and looking at me. Smiling, I bunched up my leg muscles and sprang off the rock and up into the air.

khfreak17

Website
Part II

A girl screamed, but I ignored her and opened my wings, the wind catching them like sails. People gasped and started snapping pictures.

I made a wide U-turn and caught up with Galen, who looked like he was enjoying himself.

'This is amusing,' he thought, doing some show-offy spirals and dives. Then I had an idea.

As I turned towards the chain-link fence that separated us from the rest of the zoo, I started to Change back into a human, everything melting away but my ears, tail, and teeth. I clung to the fence like a spider, occasionally shifting my wieght to stay balanced. Everybody in front of me backed up a few paces. Everybody except for a little blonde girl holding a small brown teddy bear from the gift shop.

"Hi," she said, flashing me a small smile.

I climbed down until my face was even with hers. "Hello."

She giggled and reached forward towards my head, poking her tiny had through the fence and scratching one of my ears. It twitched and she giggled again, pulling her hand back through the fence, which shook as Galen landed next to me, in his half-and-half form too.

"Waz up?" he asked. I rolled my eyes.

"What's your name?" the girl asked. "I'm Sarah."

"Rai," I said. "That's Galen." I pointed a finger towards him, and he smiled, showing sharp cat teeth.

"Hi Rai!"

"Ah!" I shouted, almost falling. I looked back and up to see Briar perched on a tree branch upside down.

"I'm Briar," she said, waving at the crowd that had suddenly grown larger in a matter of minutes. A little boy came up behind Sarah.

"Who are the other 3?" he asked, pointing to Jez, Damon, and Val on a rock.

I did a backflip off the fence and flew over to the rock, moving over each person as I said their name. "This is Val," He sat down and waved a big, black paw. "Jez," She nodded and smiled. "And Damon." He scratched his ear with his leg with his tongue lolling out the side of his mouth. Then he sneezed and everybody laughed. Except me. Something was wrong...

I landed on the rock next to Val when I heard footsteps behind us. Rangers. I nudged the bear with my foot and he took one look at me, then herded the other two off the rock.

I opened my wings and jumped into the air... only to be yanked with surprising strength back to the ground."Rai!" Galen and Briar screamed before they, too, were tackled to the ground by Rangers.

The crowd outside the habitat yelled and scramed, pounding on the fence. A gunshot shut them all up. I looked up and saw that it was the guy behind alll this, Dr. Scott Lannson.

The Ranger behind him moved forward and grabbed my arm, forcing me off the ground and putting a knife to my cheek, which I tried to shake off but couldn't.

"You're really starting to piss me off," he snarled.

"Good. Now we're even," I said back.

"Shut up, you-"

"Enough playing, Stryder," Lannson said stiffly. His eyes met mine, dark brown colliding with amber-orange. He walked forward and moved his hand to the scar on my face, tracing it with his finger. I moved my head back and hissed, showing large, sharp teeth.

Lannson stood up and nodded at Stryder, who kicked me in the gut and picked me up by the throat, lifting me into the air until I dangled over empty space.

"Rai!" Galen cried. My eyes flashed to his for a brief second before getting pulled back to Lannson.

"I should kill you," he sneered. "But I'm nice, so I'll-" A soda can flew over the fence and hit Lannson in the head, spraying soda everywhere.

"Put her down!" somebody shouted. Lannson just shook his head and smiled while wiping the pop off his face. He looked at Stryder.

"You heard 'em," he said. "Put the girl down."

Then I fell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back