• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Fanfiction ► Kingdom Hearts: Keys to the Kingdom Series

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Re: Kingdom Hearts: Keys to the Kingdom

I want to know what the catch is! xD This was so good! Hades, you're my favorite disney villain. <3 That silver tongue of yours is what makes you so damn likable and that personality to boot! Okay, I'm done having a fangirl moment. Anyways, it was great seeing Genie do SAT a favor like that. I also feel like Maleficent isn't being honest by pretending to care about Riku's happiness. No way is that her end game. I give her credit for trying to pretend she's a doting mother. lol. Can't wait to see what happens next as always!

TelaryCri

Awards

Chapter XXI: Swallowed, pt. 1
“You’re doing great Sora,” Telary assures the young Keybearer, standing behind him to supervise while the boy tries his hand once again at Gummi piloting. He seems to be a natural, but then again who wouldn’t be a natural at flying through empty space in a straight line?

They’re alone in the cockpit, Azlyn once again holed up in the turret. She’d grudgingly offered Sora his turn, but he’d declined, opting instead to get a few more hours of flying time in.

What he hadn’t told her or Telary was that he simply doesn’t want to be alone right now. Sora fears that too much time sitting idly by, waiting for threats that may never appear, might leave him too much time to think.

And there is still a lot to think about: Keyholes, Maleficent, Jasmine and Alice, where Riku went… Kairi…

So he’s making an attempt to distract his focus and keep the bad thoughts at bay. He’d figured flying would leave him with plenty else to worry about, but the trip so far has been dully smooth.

Not that you’d figure that by watching Telary, who despite the easy ride has not yet moved more than a foot from Sora’s chair, trying and failing to keep his nerves discreet. It actually takes more concentration from the boy to not snap at the mage, who he knows is just trying to help, than to fly the ship.

“Seriously, Sora, this is wonderful work you’re doing,” Telary babbles, more for his own reassurance than the amateur pilot’s. “I remember the first few times I got behind the controls, I couldn’t even get the sim-ship out of the virtual hangar. Seriously, a bunch of stuff broke. Digital stuff, I mean. Not the real thing.”

Sora nods along to his friend’s words, though he really isn’t paying that much attention. Where did Riku go after their encounter in Traverse Town? Should Sora have stuck around longer to look for him again? After all, it wasn’t like Riku could leave the town, he didn’t even have a ship. He has to still be there somewhere, right?

Why had he left then? Sure Azlyn had been pretty against him joining them on the journey, but Sora knew he’d be able to wear her down eventually. Then again, he still remembered the look in Riku’s eyes when he’d seen Azlyn and Telary, the disdain in his voice when he asked who they were…

“Um, hello!” Azlyn’s voice echoes through the cockpit, startling Sora out of his thought process. He nearly turns back to look at the knight, but quickly realizes that it would be a supremely bad idea to take his eyes off the road. Er, space. Whatever.

“Hi, Az,” Telary greets his counterpart, taking a few steps away from her as she arrives at the top of the ladder from below.

“Why did you turn my comm off?” she demands, scowling at the mage. “I’ve been trying to signal you!”

“Sorry,” Telary apologizes, rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly. “I was showing Sora some more piloting stuff, and I thought, y’know…”

“I might come on the comm and heckle him?”

“Yeah, pretty much.”

Azlyn shrugs. “Well, truthfully I probably would have, so… Whatever.” She shakes her head, her expression gaining seriousness. “I came down to tell you that I saw something on the radar. Something big.”

“Heartless?” the boys ask in unison, Sora even taking his eyes away from the vastness in front of him to look at the knight.

“Nah,” she replies with a shake of her head, “it wasn’t giving off the right kind of reading. More like a world than a Heartless. But it was moving, and fast.”

“And you’re sure?”

“Well, if it’s anything like what I read in the manual….”

“Okay, hold up, hold up!” Telary interrupts, waving his hands in front of himself to catch attention. “Azlyn, you read the manual?”

The knight rolls her eyes. “I got bored, and there was a copy in my room so…”

She’s interrupted once again, though this time not by one of her companions. There’s a slight bump against the stern of the ship, sending the whole cockpit shaking. Then suddenly a huge shape moves past the viewport. Whatever it is, it’s big and colored a blue so deep that it looks almost black.

Eventually it passes and heads for the infinite space ahead of the Gummi ship, revealing its full shape and identity.

“A WHALE!” Sora, Azlyn, and Telary all exclaim in unison, shocked by what they’re seeing in front of them. Even considering the oddities they’ve encountered so far, this is disconcerting.

“Monstro!” Jiminy, who apparently has been in the cockpit the whole time, suddenly cries out. The trio look down at the chronicler to find him shaking all over, knees knocking together.

“You know this giant space whale?” Azlyn asks incredulously.

“He’s from my world,” Jiminy explains, shaking his head to clear it. “He used to terrorize anybody looking to travel by sea. Oh, he’s a whale of a whale, and vicious besides!”

“Well he’s coming back around!” Azlyn points out, gesturing to the viewport, outside which the giant whale can be seen banking left, putting himself on a straight collision course for the ship.

“Get us out of here, Sora!” Telary screams frightfully at the young Keybearer. He doesn’t respond, simply gripping the control yoke tight enough to discolor his knuckles. “Sora, c’mon!”

Monstro’s mouth is open wide now, revealing a huge dark maw that will be plenty sufficient in size to swallow the ship whole. He charges forward, unwavering in his devotion to catching his meal.

“Too late!” Jiminy yells, ducking under a chair. “Brace for impact everyone. It’s gonna be…”

KH-KH-KH

“…Real, I swear! I’m telling you, Riku, I saw it with my own two eyes!”

The older boy rolled his eyes once again at his 5-year old best friend, well used to the boy’s tall tales by now.

“Really?” he asked, following the lad across the wooden dock of the play island. His aunt and Sora’s mother were at that moment unloading their boats, prepared for a relaxing day of reading at the beach while the children played about. Kairi had taken ill, some kind of flu that was pretty harmless but nasty to look at, and so was forced to stay home.

“Remember to be careful!” Sora’s mother called absently over her shoulder, a warning that she had been giving at least once a day since her son had learned to walk. A warning that very rarely was heeded.

“Now you actually saw it, right?” Riku asked again, raising his eyebrows at Sora. “You didn’t just hear it, did you?”

Sora hesitated, stopping his skipping walk for a moment. “Well, so what if I did, huh? It’s still worth checking out, unless you wanna spend the day running around the beach like usual. I just know there’s something in that cave!”

“Fine, fine,” Riku sighed with another eye roll. “You’re right, it’s better than the same old thing.”

Sora grinned manically and charged into the undergrowth separating the beach from the small waterfall clearing, Riku following along.

“So suppose you’re right, and there
is some kind of monster in the cave,” Riku asked. “What are we supposed to do about it? You really think we can beat it by ourselves?”

“Sure can! Now, shhhh!”

The pair stopped in front of the hidden entrance to the cave behind the waterfall, a place they’ve often seen and heard whispers of from the older kids, but never actually been inside.

“Can you hear it growling?” Sora whispered to Riku, breaking his own command for silence.

Riku turned his head to one side and listened in closely. There was definitely a sound echoing out from the cave, a low, hollow noise that raised the silver hairs on the back of his neck.

“Okay, I believe you,” Riku relented, frowning at Sora’s little victory jig. “Now we’ve gotta be careful, right?”

Sora nodded solemnly, ready to take orders from Riku as per usual. The older boy nodded back and began to silently stalk into the cave, remaining low to the ground. Despite the momentary fear he felt at a sudden resurgence of the monster’s growling, the noise actually vibrating the pit of his stomach, Sora followed.

The pair crept along the path into the cave proper as slowly as possible, not wanting to give away anything to the monstrous beast they were sure to encounter inside.

When they reached the inner chamber, they found nothing. Just an empty cave. A few roots from nearby trees poked through the walls, and a small hole from above filtered in sunlight. The walls were splashed here and there with half-faded drawings done in old white chalk.

“Nothing,” Riku sighed, looking back at Sora with a raised eyebrow. The younger boy merely shrugged. “Wow, Sora. I can’t believe you mixed up what was obviously just the wind with…”

“What’s that?” Sora asked, pointing to something behind Riku. The silver-haired boy turned to see, noticing a large piece of wood sunk into the wall. It looked like a door, but had no handle. It was an odd thing to find in an empty cave, wasn’t it?

“I guess it’s a door,” Riku answered, shrugging and moving closer. He ran his hands all over the parts of it he could reach, but found nothing but smooth wood beneath his fingers. “But I don’t know how to open it. Damn.”

Sora gasped. “Riku you can’t say that! It’s a bad word!”

Riku realized that. He can still remember the scolding his aunt gave his uncle after he’d used the word in front of Riku. The older man had been hammering nails and struck his own thumb.

“Whatever.”

“So, is that all that’s in here?” Sora whined, shaking his head. “Man, what a ripoff!”

“What do you expect?” Riku replied, chuckling and shaking his head. “A monster? In a boring little place like this? Please.”

“Well, yeah…”

“Hey Sora,” Riku said, drawing the younger boy’s attention back to him. Sora could not recall a time he’d ever seen his friend look so serious. “When we grow up, let’s get off of this island and have some real adventures, huh? I’m getting sick of this kid stuff, y’know?”

“Uh, sure Riku,” Sora answered hesitantly, hoping that fun things like climbing trees and hunting frogs didn’t qualify as “kid stuff”. He liked doing that too much to ever give it up. “But what now?”

“Let’s go see who can hold their breath the longest underwater,” Riku suggested, moving to the cave’s exit. “Loser has to clean up Kairi’s puke pail!”

“Oh, you are so on!” Sora said with a broad grin that highlighted his single missing tooth.

KH-KH-KH

Something squishy falls on Sora’s head, restoring his mental clarity. All he sees is pitch black darkness, but he knows that’s only because his eyes are still closed. He should probably open them soon, but then again, it’s not like it’s a school day or anything…

“I know you’re awake, key boy,” Azlyn’s mocking and oh so loud voice cuts through the fugue of his half-consciousness. “You can’t just lay there playing dead and expect to get out of helping!”

The Keybearer opens his eyes to see the female knight standing over him, hands on her hips. He moves his eyes down her legs and sees her foot tapping impatiently.

He rolls over and sits up, taking in his surroundings. He’s still in the Gummi ship, though he sees that a large hole has been cracked open in the viewport, high above which is a dark red roof of some sort.

“Well, so glad you could join us,” Azlyn says, smirking as she offers down a hand to help Sora up. He takes it and rises, looking over the cockpit once more. Everything is more or less intact.

“What… how are we…?”

“That bastard Monstro swallowed us,” his companion explains with a shake of her head. “Now we’re inside him.”

Sora grimaces. That explains the faint, odorous smell his nose is beginning to pick up on.

“My thoughts exactly,” Azlyn agrees with a solemn nod.

There’s a loud noise as Telary swings into the cockpit through the hole, carefully avoiding the jagged edges where it has been broken. Sora notes that situated by his staff’s holster is a small scanner and a welding torch. His left hand holds a blue handkerchief to his nose, to block out the smell. Jiminy sits on his shoulder.

“Well, I’m happy to report that it’s mostly good news,” he explains, his voice muffled and nasal through his hankie. “A few minor scrapes, obviously a new windshield is necessary, but there’s nothing I can’t fix up with my tools and a few of the spare Gummis we’ve got onboard.”

“We can get out of here?” Sora asks.

Telary nods confidently. “I could probably build a new ship with the parts we won’t need. Everything will be fine!”

No sooner has Telary made that declaration than a small orange Gummi block goes flying through the hole in the viewport, ramming into his back and sending him sprawling to the ground. Jiminy slows his own descent by opening his umbrella wide, floating gently down to the floor.

Sora has the Keyblade out in a microsecond, rushing to the viewport to look for the source of the thrown block. He skids to a stop and takes a look out at the ship’s bow, which is angled slightly up into the air. Standing atop one section, prying loose Gummi blocks with already tenuous grips to the ship’s frame and stuffing them in a sack, is Pinocchio!

“Uh, Jiminy!” Sora calls back into the cabin. The cricket covers the distance to him in two hops, landing on the Keybearer’s shoulder. “I think somebody out there is in need of a lesson about stealing.”

Jiminy peers out the window and sees his former charge toss his full to bursting bag over his shoulder and turn to leave. “What in the blazes are you doing, Pinocchio?” he calls down, startling the wooden boy. When he turns to locate the source of the noise though, a broad smile comes to his face.

“Hi Jiminy! Sora!” He waves enthusiastically. Suddenly the waving stops and he takes a few cautious steps back, looking scared.

Curious, Sora turns to see Azlyn standing beside him, glaring hard at the life-infused puppet. The Keybearer himself moves away from the knight as nonchalantly as he can manage.

“Well, I gotta go,” Pinocchio says, flinging the sack over his shoulder and stepping for the port edge of the bow. “Thanks for lettin’ me borrow these blocks!” With another nod, he jumps and is gone from sight.

“Pinocchio!” Jiminy calls, leaping out the broken viewport and charging after the puppet boy, holding his hat to keep it steady.

Sora almost pursues, but a groan from Telary reminds him that the mage was felled by a Gummi Pinocchio had rejected. He and Azlyn race to their comrade’s side, encouraging the groggy young man to sip from an offered potion bottle.

“I’m starting to think that Jiminy isn’t that effective of a conscience,” Azlyn says as Sora helps Telary sit up, rubbing lightly at the point of his back that had been struck. “Either that, or the puppet kid needs to see a therapist about his raging kleptomania.”

Sora shrugs. “They have been separated for a long time. He probably just needs some lessons repeated.”

“Well I’ll tell you one thing,” Azlyn says, cracking her knuckles and making her way to the viewport exit, “if Jiminy doesn’t start teaching that kid lessons that stick, I’ll have to give it a try.”

Sora and Telary watch her exit, going through the window and sliding off the bow to the ground in a single, fluid motion.

“She wouldn’t actually…?” Sora asks Telary, a cautious hitch in his voice. “I mean…”

“Well, I…” Telary begins, without follow-up. With a single look, the boys decide that it will be best for everyone if they don’t leave Azlyn near Pinocchio too long without supervision.
Monstro

It takes a brief swim in the several feet of liquid that has accumulated at some point in the chasmic chamber, but the trio manage to reach the large, mostly derelict wooden vessel that is propped up against one “wall” of Monstro’s mouth. Bobbing gently next to it is a small green Gummi ship that looks just cozy enough for two passengers.

“And you say that I can use these blocks to fix the boat Pinocchio came in?” an old, bent-backed man with a kindly face and droopy grey mustache inquires of Jiminy, who nods along happily.

“Sure can, Geppetto!” the little conscience confirms, nodding proudly.

“One problem, though,” Azlyn points out, clambering aboard the ship’s deck. “Some of those are our Gummis.”

“Pinocchio!” Geppetto scolds his boy. “I thought you were over your little thieving phase! How are you ever to become a real boy if you can’t learn to respect other people’s property?”

“Aw, Papa!” Pinocchio protests, looking away and holding his hinged arms to his chest. “I was only thinking of ways to help us get outta here.”

“We have spares,” Telary announces, shrugging. “And we definitely wouldn’t feel right just leaving you here with a broken ship, so…”

“Oh, bless you!” Geppetto exclaims, pulling the mage into a very awkward hug. Azlyn and Sora snicker quietly. After a moment, the old toymaker pulls back. “My goodness, I can’t believe the whale swallowed you up too!”

Azlyn shrugs. “All things considered, it’s not that much of a departure from the normal levels of insanity we deal with.” The boys nod along in agreement.

“Jiminy tells me that you’ve already been acquainted with Pinocchio,” Geppetto says conversationally, sifting through a few Gummi blocks. “I’m his father, Geppetto. Now I know that may seem a bit preposterous, but it’s actually a sweet little story.”

“We’re aware, actually,” Telary interrupts, hoping that he isn’t coming off as rude. “Jiminy told us all about it. And you’re right, it is very sweet, you wishing for Pinocchio to come to life and all.”

“By the by,” Azlyn says, sidling up to the old man, “having recently been reminded of the power of wishes, I have to ask. I’ve been talking to every star I can, and so far I’ve got nothing. So, did this Blue Fairy by chance leave a card with you, or maybe a contact number?”

While Geppetto clumsily tries to explain that he doesn’t know how to get in touch with the Blue Fairy beyond wishing on stars, Pinocchio’s mind begins to wander. He’d thought that he would be the big hero when he presented his father with a way to escape Monstro, only to be scolded for not doing things “the right way”, and pushed aside for Jiminy’s new friends.

Where does that cricket get off, replacing him like that? Jiminy had said when they first met that he was going to stick with him and keep him on the straight and narrow. And now here he was running around with a bunch of strangers! All told, it makes Pinocchio feel real rotten inside!

Looking back further into Monstro’s mouth, he spies something standing near the darkened entrance of a “tunnel” further back. He squints, and realizes that it’s an older boy!

The boy sees Pinocchio looking and nods in a friendly manner, silver hair shaking on his head. Then, with a smirk and broad “come over here” gesture, the boy turns and runs deeper into the tunnel.

Curious, Pinocchio follows after.

“But really, I’m happy just to have us all together again, eh Pinocchio?” Geppetto turns to his boy, only to find him gone! “Oh dear, he must have wandered off! Oh my goodness, I hope he doesn’t get himself hurt…”

Sora steps up. “It’s okay, Geppetto, I’ll go get him,” the Keybearer offers. It might be nice, he thinks, to actually retrieve someone he sets out to save for once.

“Oh, thank you! I do worry ever so about my little boy…”

“I’ll go too,” Azlyn chimes in, stepping up beside Sora. If she doesn’t get away from this rambling old man soon, she’s going to lose her mind.

“I, uh, guess I’ll stay here,” Telary volunteers lamely, thinking over the amount of repairs needing to be done. He’ll have Geppetto’s help, sure, but the toymaker is old and doesn’t look so spry, besides being an amateur. “I can work on the ships.”

Sora nods and turns to leave, but a thought strikes him and he turns back, reaching into his pocket. He retrieves the blue stone Genie gave him and holds it up, rubbing it lightly with his thumb. The gem glows briefly, and then Genie appears in a puff of blue smoke, shocking Geppetto into taking a few steps back.

“Hey Genie,” Sora greets the big blue lug, offering up a high five, which is accepted.

“I gotta say Sora,” Genie says, shaking his head, “I didn’t think you’d call me up so soon! Then again, I can understand why you’d miss my fabulous conversation!”

Sora chuckles. “Yeah, that’s it. Actually, we’ve got kind of a technical problem and Telary could really use your help with some of the construction…”

“Say no more!” In a flash, three more Genie’s appear on the deck of the dilapidated ship, each wearing orange safety vests and hard hats to match. The original Genie is similarly attired. He turns to Telary. “Me’n my crew are the fastest, most reliable craftsmen this side’a Philly. We’ll fix what needs fixing, and we’ll do it fast.”

“Thanks Genie!” Sora and Azlyn exit, leaping off the side of the boat into the water below.

“Uh, one more little thing,” Genie says to Telary, leaning in close. “Our union is pretty serious about the mandated breaks, so…”

The mage sighs.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards

Whoa, I didn't think we'd see Genie again so soon! I still like seeing flashbacks of Sora and Riku together as kids. Of all the things to wager, they had to pick something disgusting. Well, I hope when Sora is reunited with Riku again... things don't get too bad between them. Of course, it's hilarious knowing Azlyn would read the Gummi ship manual, cause boy oh boy, I would've felt my mouth drop too. On the other hand, can't wait for more chapters. You still keep everyone really in character, so it feels like playing the game too, except with Azlyn and Telary as our party members. lol.

TelaryCri

Awards

Chapter XXI: Swallowed, pt. 2
Sora and Azlyn stroll casually into the chamber directly off the mouth, finding themselves in a tiny space, surrounded by fleshy purple walls that mildly pulsate every few seconds. Bioluminescent patches of various colors provide enough soft light to see by, though the effect is a bit akin to walking around inside a disco ball.

“Y’know,” Azlyn pipes up, drawing her partner’s attention, “I think I may have been seriously lowballing it when I told Geppetto this place was on the low end of oddity for us. By the way, what do you think that water back in the mouth is?”

Sora frowns. “I’m actually trying really hard not to, Az.”

The conversation is interrupted by the familiar clacking of wood. Looking up, Sora and Azlyn see Pinocchio, standing atop a higher purple ledge. He giggles and waves at them.

“Now see here, Pinocchio!” Azlyn yells up at the puppet authoritatively, shaking a threatening finger at him. “Knock this crap off and come back to the boat!”

“She’s right,” Sora agrees, nodding firmly in the knight’s direction. “This is no time for games!”

“Hey, now!” a familiar voice cuts through the chamber, causing a severe skip in the beat of Sora’s heart. Riku appears by Pinocchio, leaning over with one arm resting across his thigh, grinning down at the pair below. “I thought you liked games Sora! Remember how much we used to play back on the islands? All the monsters we faced?”

“Riku…” Sora breathes, his brain having a distinctly difficult time processing the fact that Riku is somehow here. And apparently, not as happy with the reunion as the Keybearer may have thought he’d be.

“Oh, wait, I get it!” Riku continues mockingly, playfully tapping his wrist against his forehead. “You must think you’re too cool for playing games now, huh? What with you wielding the Keyblade and all.”

“What are you doing here Riku?” Sora asks, very slowly. “How did you get here? Do you have a Gummi ship too? Do you know anything about where Kairi is?”

Riku chuckles lowly, straightening up. “Wow, that’s a lot of questions, Sora. I guess you haven’t changed all that much, eh?” He reaches his hand out for Pinocchio, who happily takes it. “If you want answers, well then I guess you’ll just have to catch us, won’t you?” With another condescending laugh, Riku and Pinocchio exit the chamber the same way they entered.

Sora is stunned into silence. What could have gotten into Riku? Did he have information about Kairi, and if so, why would he withhold it so childishly? How could Sora’s oldest friend be acting like such a…

“Jerk!” Azlyn exclaims bluntly, scowling up where Riku had been moments earlier. Sora gives her a light smack on the arm. “Hey! I was just expressing my feelings! Telary says that’s healthy to do!”

“That’s my friend you’re talking about,” Sora protests, jumping to try and grab the ledge and pull himself up after Riku and Pinocchio. It’s too high, several feet out of reach. “And sure, he’s being a little weird, but he just…” The boy sighs, leaning against the wall, which gives a bit against his weight. “Look, Azlyn, I don’t have any clue what’s gotten into him, okay?”

“Really?” Azlyn asks, raising her eyebrows at the dejected boy. “Because it’s pretty obvious to me.”

“What?”

“He’s jealous. Of the Keyblade.”

Sora frowns at her, not liking the implications of her statement. “I… Maybe. I mean, we’ve always been kind of competitive with each other, but it never got this bad! And he won’t even talk to me about Kairi...”

“That could be another problem,” the knight suggests, speaking a bit quieter.

“Huh?”

“Nothing.” She turns to another exit, a lightly glowing green portal just a few feet across the chamber.

They move through a few more chambers, all equally strange, until they find themselves right back where they’d started, though this time they’re on the ledge Riku and Pinocchio had been.

“I might have said this before,” Azlyn sighs, “but I really hate this dumb whale. I can’t imagine anything that could make this worse!”

Of course that’s when the Heartless arrive.

Out of three portals spring a trio of ghostlike creatures, one eye dangling on a chain out of their bulbous white heads, the other set back in them. Red lights spring from the empty sockets, swinging back and forth like spotlights with every turn of the head.

One attacks Sora, its sharply clawed hands actually moving a few inches away from the rest of its arms to slash at the boy. He ducks and swings the Keyblade, eliminating it in a single blow.

Azlyn deflects a two-handed swipe, then stomps her foot down on her opponent’s wispy tail, pinning it. She grins and unleashes a hard punch, knocking the Search Ghost so hard into the ground that it actually rebounds back up towards her, upon which she seizes the moment to make another jab, eliminating the threat.

Sora finishes off a second enemy with a simple diagonal swing of the Keyblade.

“Why are the Heartless here?” he asks no one in particular, frowning at the Keyblade while he dismisses it.

“Well, you said the Heartless track the Keyblade, right?” Azlyn suggests. “It’s probably just a hit squad.”

Just a hit squad, eh?” Sora shoots back sardonically. Azlyn grins back at him and they continue on.

Several chambers later, they’re still lost in the vastness of Monstro’s insides, with no sign of either Riku or Pinocchio. Sora is beginning to get the gnawing feeling that he may be failing at yet another rescue operation.

Luckily, at that moment a familiar giggle is heard, and Pinocchio runs by in between Sora and Azlyn. After taking a second to get their bearings, the pair head after the little wooden boy.

But where’s Riku?

KH-KH-KH

Riku heaves a sigh and decides that he has more than earned a bit of a rest. He sits gingerly down on a fleshy protuberance growing up from the “floor”.

He can’t help but replay his conversation with Sora over and over, recalling the younger boy’s confused face with no small amount of glee. What a rube his friend is! How would he take it, Riku wonders, if he learned that his fancy Keyblade wasn’t actually the greatest thing in the universe?

“Why are you wasting your time here?” Maleficent’s voice suddenly cuts through his thoughts, nearly sending the silver-haired boy toppling off his seat. He looks up to see the jade-skinned witch standing over him, one eyebrow perched high on her forehead. “Bothering with that traitorous boy? Need I remind you how he replaced you? Cast you aside for his new friends and the Keyblade.”

Riku shrugs and looks away. “I’m just jerking Sora around is all. Having a little fun with him, y’know?”

“Ah. Well, I’m afraid ‘fun’ is a bit outside my realm of expertise,” Maleficent comments dryly. The look on her face keeps any possible retort firmly locked in Riku’s head as an idle thought. “But, whatever your motives, do not fail to recognize the darkness inherent in your jealous posturing.”

“Jealous!” Riku rages, standing up with both gloved fists clenched.

“You must see what I mean.”

Riku relaxes a fraction of a percent. “Yeah, well maybe. Still, would it kill you to mind your own business?”

“Certainly not,” Maleficent replies coolly, already fading away. “But it may yet be the death of you.”

She’s gone before Riku can think of a response. And then Pinocchio rushes into the chamber, laughing like a madman. Well, madpuppet. Moments later, Sora and his new lady friend come scrambling after.

Pinocchio continues on into the next chamber, but Sora stops short, once again giving Riku his best confused face.

“Okay Riku!” he demands stepping up and thrusting a finger at his friend. “You owe me an explanation!”

“Do I though?” Riku shoots back with a scowl. “Well fine, I’ll explain if you will. What’s with you huh? Seems to me all you want to do is run around flashing your Keyblade!”

Sora looks down at the blade in his hand. Oddly, he doesn’t remember trying to call it to him…

“And I’ll bet you care more about your new girlfriend than you do saving Kairi.” Riku dismissively flicks his hand towards Azlyn.

“What?” Sora exclaims. “What are you talking about? Azlyn isn’t my girlfriend! I mean that’d be…” The boy stops himself, realizing somewhere in the back of his mind that it wouldn’t be a great idea to continue this line of defense. “Well, she’s not, anyway! And of course I care about Kairi, but you’ve gotta understand, Riku, the Keyblade comes with a lot of other responsibilities…”

Sora’s explanation is interrupted by a piercing, frantic scream from the next chamber over it can only have come from Pinocchio. All three teens rush immediately to the puppet boy’s aid.

They arrive in a massive chamber, a large pink bowl-like place. In the middle of it all sits a large Heartless, purple and pink and all-trouble. A long, pipe-like arm sprouts from either side of its bulbous pink head, tiny yellow eyes staring down at them. Its body is structured like a cage, long sharp teeth acting as bars to imprison Pinocchio inside its belly. The whole thing is held up on four blue stalks that seem to have found firm purchase on the “floor”.

The trio draw weapons and lean into their fighting stances, all conflicts put aside in the interest of Pinocchio’s welfare.

Riku attacks first, diving straight for the pink head of the Heartless, thrusting out his purple and red sword. One of the teal arm-tubes reaches up and effortlessly swats the boy away. He goes flying, impacting against a “wall”.

Azlyn and Sora charge together, ducking and weaving to avoid the thrashing arms of the Parasite Cage. Sora lands a hit against the purple bars of Pinocchio’s prison, and in the process realizes that Pinocchio has ceased making any noise at all, sagging limply against the back of his cage.

Sora is so distracted by the puppet’s state that he doesn’t see the arm coming. It hits him like a ton of fleshy bricks, knocking him back against one side of the chamber. Azlyn joins him moments later, grunting angrily.

Riku rises, clenching the hilt of his sword so hard it actually hurts. Reaching into a deep, dark part of his mind that seems to regard his anger as fuel of some kind, an idea suddenly springs to his mind.

With a grunt and a defiant yell, the boy thrusts his hand forward, palm out, towards the head of the creature holding Pinocchio captive. With a loud whoosh of unchecked power, a ball of purple fire the size of the boy’s torso flies through the air, striking the monstrosity’s head.

The Parasite Cage rages, thrashing its arms all about madly, throwing its enflamed head back in sheer agony. It leans so far back that the “bars” of its stomach cage fly open, leaving Riku with a perfect opportunity to leap in and grab Pinocchio.

Sora and Azlyn try to intercept, but the erratic waving of the creature’s tentacles prevents them from moving.

Finally the Heartless seems to get itself under control, thrusting its arms up to hold the ceiling, while the “floor” below it opens a dark hole. With a last roar, it releases its grip on the ceiling and drops down.

With a flippant grin and mocking salute, Riku, Pinocchio’s limp form held in the crook of one arm, drops down the hole as well.

Sora and Azlyn rush for the portal, stopping short at its lip.

“Before we go, Sora…” Azlyn says, fixing the Keybearer with a look he can’t quite decipher. “Before, when you were telling Riku I’m not your girlfriend because ‘that would be…’, what exactly were you gonna say?”

Sora rolls his eyes and laughs too loudly. “C’mon Azlyn, we… This is… He took Pinocchio so, I mean…” With nothing left to say in his defense, Sora leaps up and drops down the hole without another word.

“Uh huh,” Azlyn mutters to herself, nodding gently. “That’s what I thought.”

KH-KH-KH

Sora and Azlyn float gently down to the deck of Geppetto’s ruined ship, landing next to Telary.

“Feather Fall,” the mage explains with a self-satisfied nod.

“Oh, won’t you please give me back my son?” Geppetto pleads to Riku, practically fallen over on his hands and knees. Riku stands on a nearby high mound of wood, looking down at Geppetto like a gnat flitting in front of his face.

“No can do, grandpa,” Riku replies derisively, shifting his grip on the unconscious form of Pinocchio. “There’s something I need this puppet for. It…”

“He’s no puppet!” Geppetto calls back, sounding angry this time instead of scared or pleading. Azlyn nods appreciatively. “That’s my little boy you’re holding and…”

“Yes, I suppose it is pretty unusual,” Riku admits coolly, holding up Pinocchio and inspecting him. “Not many puppets have hearts after all. Could be the key to helping someone I care about who’s lost her…”

“Kairi!” Sora interrupts, distraught. He takes a few steps forward and looks up at Riku with pure fear in his eyes. “Are you talking about…? Did something happen to Kairi?”

“Does it even matter to you?” Riku shake his head and begins walking away, heading for another dark hole leading out of Monstro’s mouth. “Why don’t you just run along and let me take care of things. After all, I’m sure there are a few worlds you haven’t flashed your Keyblade around in yet.”

With that he exits, taking Pinocchio with him to some unknown fate.

“No!” Geppetto cries out, futilely reaching out a hand towards the withdrawing Riku. Tears are openly streaming down his cheeks now. “Not my little boy. Not when he’s so close to…”

“Don’t you worry about a thing, Geppetto,” Jiminy assures the toymaker, a fiercely determined look in his eyes that belies the moisture that has accumulated within them. “We’re going to get Pinocchio back, no matter what it takes. Bet on it!”

“Yeah we are!” Azlyn confirms, cracking her knuckles threateningly.

Sora nods as well. “Riku’s my friend, but he’s gone way too far, even if it is for Kairi. I won’t let him do anything to Pinocchio. Not even if I have to fight him myself.”

“Very well,” Geppetto says with a heavy heart. Despite meeting Sora only but an hour or so ago, he can tell that the Keybearer is capable, strong, and big-hearted. He’s the kind of real boy the old toymaker hopes his son will be one day.

“Both ships are as ready as they’re going to be, repairs-wise,” Telary explains to Geppetto. “I want you to get them both prepped for takeoff, like I showed you. I don’t know about you, but I’d like to be out of this smelly space mammal as soon as possible. Do you think you can handle it?”

The old man nods, determination replacing his fear.

Sora, Azlyn, Telary, and Jiminy all set out, climbing up the woodpile Riku had been standing on a minute ago to the high exit.

“That was a good thing you did for Geppetto,” Azlyn tells her partner appreciatively, relishing the smile she gets in return. “Having something to do will keep him from worrying about Pinocchio. Plus, I want out of this place too.”

The group enters a small, conical chamber with a high ceiling. A small sphincter opens and closes rhythmically at the top. Spaced out every few yards up are platforms constructed of bones and blue flesh leading all the way up.

Telary frowns at the setup. “Okay, so… Based on context clues, this is the throat, right? But there was that lower exit. What did it lead to?”

Sora and Azlyn look at one another and shrug, clueless.

“There were a bunch of uh, chambers or whatever,” Sora replies.

“And, well… Glowing,” Azlyn adds in, sputtering out an approximate explanation of what she’d seen while pursuing Pinocchio. “
Then we were in some kind of, uh… bowl.”

Telary regards the pair wearily, his face scrunching up in further confusion.

Jiminy jumps up on Sora’s shoulder and interrupts the scene. “We can ponder the biology later, people! Or have you forgotten that every moment we waste is a moment that despicable boy could have spirited away Pinocch?”

“Right,” Sora says, uncomfortable Jiminy’s description of his best friend. Or perhaps just uncomfortable with the fact that Riku’s actions are making such a characterization an accurate one.

The climb to the top is a bit arduous, and each member of the trio nearly takes a spill at some point, but eventually they all reach the highest platform. Telary looks up at the closed sphincter and frowns.

“How do we get it open?” Sora asks, shifting from one foot to the other.

“And do we really want to?” Azlyn chimes in, a repulsed look on her face. “Seriously, it looks like we’re gonna be jumping up into a bu…”

“Nyah!” Telary interjects, waving his hands about to stop his counterpart from completing her filthy comparison. “To be perfectly honest, I’m pretty sure that, um… One of us is going to have to,” he takes a big, audible gulp, “touch it.”

“Not it!” Azlyn screams, her fingers flying to her nose.

“Not it!” Telary responds in kind.

Both of the Disney Castle dwellers fix Sora with a look.

The Keybearer sighs and reaches up, brushing his hand against the pink flesh. It shudders a moment, and then the muscles inside relax. The sphincter opens, and a sudden current of air grabs the trio and pulls them up and inside.

For several seconds their universe has no meaning. Up and down and sideways they bounce through a thin blue tunnel, moving upward to a peak and then sharply downward.

They finally tumble down into a huge chamber, nearly as big as Monstro’s mouth, landing on a pink, fleshy platform in a figure eight shape. The rest of the chamber is filled with a seeming lake of glowing green liquid.

Riku stands at the other end of the platform, and when Sora finally reorients himself he see that his friend is fixing him and his partners with an enigmatic look.

“Why, Sora?” Riku sighs, shaking his head sadly, like he used to when they were kids and he’d find Sora stuck in strange or embarrassing situations. “Why can’t you just let me help Kairi? This puppet had a heart, and now it’s lost it to the Heartless. It could hold the key to helping Kairi!”

“What happened to Kairi?” Sora asks, standing and taking a cautious step forward. Azlyn and Telary rise and take up positions next to him, and out of the corner of his eye he spots Jiminy Cricket take off towards Pinocchio in a full sprint.

“Oh, Pinocchio…” Jiminy sighs, tears dripping from his eyes as he regards his fallen friend.

“We can help her, Sora,” Riku says pleadingly, giving his best friend a half-smile. “If we team up, and we use the puppet…”

“His name,” Sora interrupts, taking another step forward and calling the Keyblade to his hand, “is Pinocchio! And there’s no way I’m letting you use him, no matter what it’s for!”

Riku takes a step back, and his usually so carefully composed face collapses under the weight of an immense sadness. “You’d rather fight me?” the boy stutters out brokenly, his voice so full of pain it affects even Azlyn. “Over a puppet that has no heart?”

“He may not have a heart,” Sora replies, fighting hard to keep his voice steady and calm, like a hero’s should be, “but at least he has a conscience.”

“Conscience?”

“Yep.”

Pinocchio moans out something indecipherable, just barely managing to raise his head to regard Jiminy.

“I feel terrible, Jim,” the wooden boy groans, his eyes dizzy and unfocused. “I… I don’t think I’m gonna make it…”

There’s a flash across Pinocchio’s face, and when it fades, the boy’s nose has grown a full inch. He’s lying!

“Oh.” He raises his head, suddenly as perky as usual. “I guess I’m okay!”

Jiminy laughs loudly, jumping and crying out with pure joy.

“Sometimes, even when things don’t make sense, your conscience can be the only thing left to guide you,” Sora says in strong tones, regarding his former friend with a sharp determination in his eyes. “And right now, mine is telling me that you’re on the wrong side!”

Riku scowls at the Keybearer, his own sword appearing in his hand. “I see. Well Sora, I guess it’s time I stopped messing around with…”

Riku’s challenge dies before it can be fully issued, as with a flash of dark energy the Parasite Cage reappears, dropping down from above and landing hard enough to shake the platform.

Sora, Azlyn, and Telary stumble back as the vibrations shift the platform underneath them. Pinocchio and Jiminy streak past, headed for another sphincter exit.

The Heartless issues a roar of challenge, distracting Sora enough that he barely notices Riku wave his hand to open some kind of purple-black portal. With one last sneer, he steps into it and disappears.

The Parasite Cage roars once more and swings out its arm, sending the trio back another few steps. Azlyn stumbles and takes a single step off the platform, her shoe barely breaking the surface of the neon liquid below.

A loud sizzle rises to her ears, and she yelps as she raises her foot quick as a striking snake and places it back on the platform.

“Aw man!” she exclaims. “My shoe!” The edges of it are burned black, and a faint steam can be seen rising upwards.

Telary nods. “I was thinking that might be stomach acid. We’re gonna want to avoid that.”

“Uh, that could be hard,” Sora points out nervously. Confused, Telary looks out to see the Cage with its arms submerged in the acid, pumping occasionally like an elephant filling its trunk for a bath.

“Uh oh.”

With barely a moment’s warning, the tiny mouth on the pink head of the Heartless opens wide, and ugly green liquid spurts forth like a blast from a cannon, spreading acid everywhere.

Ignoring his comrades’ screams, Telary elbows his way to the front and concentrates on protecting the two people he holds most dear…

The acid stops dead, splashing against an unseen barrier held only inches in front of the trio. Telary’s forehead scrunches up, and he screams against the strain.

After a minute that feels like an eternity, the deadly spray ceases. Telary takes a deep breath and collapses, Azlyn only barely managing to keep him from falling down completely.

“Oh, ow!” he groans. “Not… not sure I can do that again…”

“I don’t think you’ll have to,” Sora says over his shoulder, his eyes focused on several spots of steam rising from burnt portions of the Parasite Cage’s body. “The acid hurts it too, on the outside. If we can push it into the pool…”

“No problem,” Azlyn says, laying her partner gently on the ground and stretching the tendons in her neck. With a loud scream she throws her shield, impacting the Heartless right in the chest.

The creature wobbles unsteadily, and Sora presses the advantage, charging forward and ramming his shoulder straight into it.

The Cage topples back, landing in the acid with a splash and sending green liquid gushing into the air. It screams, an animalistic sound that threatens to pierce the party’s eardrums. It screams so long and hard that the “teeth” of its stomach cage open, revealing an orb of pure black darkness within.

“Easy target,” Sora declares, thrusting the Keyblade out and preparing a fire spell. But before he can work through the necessary mental commands, light gathers at the blade’s tip, just as it does when about to seal a Keyhole. When it coalesces, an orb of pure white Light ejects from the blade, colliding with the Heartless’s dark orb. A burst of light, dull orange like a sunset, explodes from the point of contact.

When it clears, all that remains of the Parasite Cage is a crystal blue heart, floating away into the air.

For a moment Sora just stands, looking around the chamber while underneath the acid begins to sizzle and bubble, splashing up tiny drops of acid that, while not deadly, could cause severe burns.

“Riku!” he cries out in anguish. All the strength that allowed him to brandish a weapon at his best friend leaves him, and he can barely stand, let alone move.

What has happened to Riku?

Dimly, he feels a tug on his arm. He turns and regards Azlyn, who has a grip locked around his wrist, pulling him forward forcefully. He stumbles towards her, and she just keeps pulling. Telary has recovered from his dizzy spell, and is already waiting at the exit.

“C’mon, you idiot!” she yells, pulling Sora forward and actually throwing him over her shoulder in a fireman’s carry. “We gotta get outta here!”

“Riku…”

“I know, Sora,” the knight sighs sympathetically. “I know.”
For such an odd, almost whimsical world, some dark stuff happens in Monstro, doesn't it. And thanks KitKat for you comment that reading this story is so like playing the game, I try very hard to make that so.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards

I'm greatly amused by the suggestion of Azlyn being Sora's girlfriend and the inquires of the whale's biology. The 'not it' was a riot. Furthermore, I feel for Sora and Geppetto. It was a great chapter with some action from Riku. Shame he's blinded by Maleficent and refers to Pinocchio as a puppet. And your welcome, TelaryCri.

TelaryCri

Awards

Chapter XXII: A Greater Power
The creaks and groans of the ship around him are but dim background noise to Riku, standing in the cabin of Captain Hook’s vessel The Jolly Roger and gazing furtively at the girl laying before him.

It’s odd, he thinks, not to mention disturbing, to see Kairi like this, completely unconscious and unresponsive. Riku has seen her sleeping before, and knows that it isn’t exactly a quiet process. He remembers teasing her once that her snoring was keeping him up through the night, even though he lived several streets away. She hadn’t talked to him for nearly two days after that comment.

Before now, it was the longest he’d ever gone without hearing Kairi’s voice. And now a dark part of himself, hidden in the far reaches of his mind, worries that he will never hear the girl speak ever again.

“So sad,” Maleficent says sympathetically, her long robe trailing softly against red velvet carpet, “to finally be reunited, only to find your friend in this reduced state. My, how life can be cruel.”

Riku shakes his head numbly. “She’s just like that puppet now. Lifeless.”

“Yes, child.”

“If only Sora knew,” Riku mutters, more to himself than Maleficent. “If I had stopped playing games for one minute and just told him straight out about this, or even showed him…”

“You mustn’t think that, Riku,” Maleficent assures the boy, placing a comforting but firm hand on his shoulder. The boy is too numb to attempt even a cursory attempt to move away. “Your friend cares nothing for the girl now. He would rather protect a toy than help Kairi restore her heart.”

Riku looks up at her, finally shaking her hand away. “What can I do to help her? How do I wake her up? Her heart…”

“Doubtless the Heartless have taken it,” the sorceress says matter-of-factly. “Sometimes the forces of Darkness venture beyond even my control.”

“What can I do? How do I help her? You have to know something!”

With a deep sigh, Maleficent turns away from the boy, both hands clutching the green orb at the top of her long staff. “There are things beyond even my knowledge at the moment Riku. I know not how to restore dear Kairi’s heart.”

Riku scowls at the woman, stepping up to her defiantly. “If you can’t help me save Kairi, then what good are you? Huh? Why should I keep…?”

“Silence!” Maleficent snaps in a tone so forceful that Riku shrinks back a few steps, thoroughly cowed by the uncharacteristic outburst. After a moment, she seems to calm, her face regaining its usual cool composure. “There is an old legend. The legend of seven maidens with pure hearts, hearts that contain no darkness. My companions and I have come to refer to them as the Princesses of Heart. According to these legends, if these seven maids can be gathered together, they have the power to open the Door. A path to the heart of all worlds. A place called Kingdom Hearts.”

“Kingdom Hearts…” Riku breathes incredulously, looking down at Kairi. Surely a place so amazing could…

“Inside lies untold wisdom. The collected knowledge of all things in all worlds.” Maleficent smiles. “There, you will surely be able to find a way to recover Kairi’s heart. All we need are two more of these princesses.”

“That girl Jasmine was one of them, wasn’t she?”

Maleficent nods. “Yes. And you did a marvelous job retrieving her for us. In fact, your performance under my tutelage so far has been nothing less than exemplary.” She reaches out and caresses Riku’s chin, her fingers cold against the skin there. “You have proven yourself worthy.”

“Worthy?” Riku asks, confused but giddy to be judged as such by someone so obviously powerful.

“Of a most magnificent gift.” Maleficent raises her hands above her head, and suddenly a green aura surrounds Riku. He can feel it pouring strength into his heart, fortifying it. “The power to control the Heartless!”

He turns to Kairi, the power he feels giving him a new confidence that he has never felt before in his life. He will restore Kairi’s heart, he’s certain of it. And if Sora wants to stop him, well, he will be dealt with. Perhaps Riku could even turn the meddlesome boy into a Heartless. His very own Sora to command at his will. Yes…

“Soon,” he assures the prone girl before him, caressing her cheek gently. “We’ll be together again soon, Kairi.”

KH-KH-KH

“Can you read me, Geppetto?” Telary speaks slowly and directly into the microphone. Despite being so close that it seems to Azlyn that she could reach out and grasp Geppetto and Pinocchio’s small, color-mismatched Gummi ship, the connection between them isn’t spectacular.

All of the fighting going on in Monstro’s stomach chamber had apparently not agreed with the whale, and it had been a mad dash back to the mouth, where thankfully Geppetto had managed to successfully start up both Gummis’ systems. They’d barely all had time to strap in before being ejected. Violently.

“I hear you well, Telary,” the toymaker replies, sounding contented to be with his son and free to start a new life not inside a giant whale roaming interspace. “All of our systems appear to be working just fine. My goodness, this is a fantastic little piece of machinery!”

“Yes, I love these ships too, Geppetto,” Telary agrees with a bemused smile. “Now, the coordinates to Traverse Town should be in your navicomputer. Can you bring them up, like I showed you?”

“Oh, I have them already.”

“Good deal.” The pilot frowns. “Now it’s going to be quite a trip without a warp Gummi. If we had a spare I’d offer it to you, but…”

“It’s no problem.” There’s a giggling noise over the comm, obviously from Pinocchio. “We’ll see you soon, yes?”

“First chance we get!” Jiminy Cricket cuts in, standing directly over the comm unit. “Now you remember to be a good boy, Pinocchio. Listen to your father and do what he tells you or I’ll hear about it, and don’t think I won’t!”

“Yes Jiminy,” Pinocchio replies, something like a sigh in his voice. “Are you sure you can’t come with us, Jim? Being a good boy would sure be easier with you by my side.”

“I know Pinocch,” Jiminy replies wistfully. “But I made a commitment to Queen Minnie, and I intend to see it through. And besides, these guys are my friends too, and I have a feeling that they’re heading into a whole mess ‘a trouble. But I’ll be thinking of you. That’s a promise!”

“Good luck Jiminy,” Pinocchio replies. “See you soon!”

Everyone else says their goodbyes, and a few minutes later Geppetto’s ship takes off, tugging along at a steady pace to Traverse Town.

“So,” Azlyn says, turning to Telary, “do we still have a lock on that world you located before, y’know, our adventures in space-marine biology?”

Telary presses a few buttons, checking over the data. “Yep, still do. We’re a couple of hours out, since our trip inside Monstro took us off the trail quite a bit, but it won’t be long now.”

She nods, and Sora stands up, cracking his knuckles absently.

“I think I’ll take my turn in the turret now,” he says, sighing deeply and looking out into space, staring in the direction Monstro had taken off. “I kinda… Want to be alone.”

“Sure thing Sora,” Telary says with a nod. The Keybearer goes to the ladder, his head hanging low and eyes on the floor. “Hey, Sora.” The boy turns around to regard the mage, who’s giving him a borderline pitying look. “I’m sorry about your friend.”

Sora nods once, sadly. “Thanks, Telary. I am too.”

After a few minutes of silent flying, Telary sighs deeply. “Gosh, I can’t imagine what Sora’s going through! From what he said about Riku, I’d thought he was a nice boy. A little rough around the edges sure, but… I mean, kidnapping?”

Azlyn nods, then hesitates, her mouth opening and closing several times in rapid succession.

“What?”

The knight heaves a sigh of her own. “I think it might be worse than that. A lot worse.”

Telary’s eyes narrow suspiciously. “How so?”

“There were Heartless,” she explains, though Telary thinks it’s a bit odd she would point out something so obvious. “The one in the stomach, and a few while we were chasing Pinocchio. Heartless in a whale. So obviously there was no Keyhole to find.”

Telary shrugs, still confused about the subject. “They must have sensed Sora’s Keyblade, or maybe Riku was right and Pinocchio’s heart was some kind of unique…”

“I thought those things too, at first,” Azlyn interrupts, absentmindedly drumming on her thigh. “But then came that last fight in the stomach. We were just about to throw down with Riku, and the Heartless just happens to jump up outta nowhere, at that exact moment, because it can?” She shakes her head firmly. “No way that’s a coincidence. That’s not even a bet I would take.”

“What, exactly, are you saying Azlyn? Do you think that somehow the Heartless…?”

“Purposely ran interference for Riku,” Azlyn spits out, hoping that Telary won’t think her theory absurd, despite the evidence in her favor. “That thing showed up right when it did because it was covering for him. Had to be.”

For a long moment Telary says nothing, taking his lower lip between his teeth and worrying it.

“You may be right,” he finally says, releasing his lip. The mage can feel his stomach tighten at the thought. Sora’s best friend, in league with the Heartless. With that witch Maleficent?

“We can’t tell Sora, though,” Azlyn concludes, shaking her head vigorously. “Whether it’s true or not, if we come to him with this and we don’t have evidence, it could…”

“I agree.” The older boy leans back in his chair and tries to concentrate on the space in front of him.

Things are getting far too complicated for his liking.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards

Riku, don't do it! Don't listen to Maleficent! This isn't the right way to go! Maleficent, you son of a witch! How could you give him the power to control the heartless?! You're corrupting him further. Anyways, you got to love how in character everybody is in this chapter! I don't think Telary was pleased with how quickly Geppetto is at flying the other gummi ship. And I like how quickly Azlyn and Telary caught onto Riku like that too. Poor Sora, you've got a lot on your plate. Great chapter as usual! :D Can't wait for more.

TelaryCri

Awards

Chapter XXIII: Fathoms Below, pt. 1
Splash!

Despite the strange sensation of being completely submerged, Sora remains calm. After all, he’s lived most of his life near water, surrounded by it constantly. He’d learned to swim at the age of three, won local competitions for it all the time. The water is as much his home as the islands themselves.

He opens his eyes, trusting Telary’s magic to keep the sting of saltwater from them. Most of what he sees is a lot of blue. The grotto he’s in is surrounded on all sides by blue stone, a long trench leading southways out of it.

Next, he takes a deep breath, the water easily filtering through his newly created gills, leaving his blood full of rich oxygen. He looks down and sees that his legs are gone, replaced by a single blue tail. Spinning around, he catches sight of a curved dorsal fin, not unlike that of a dolphin, sticking out of his rear.

He also sees Telary, struggling a bit to right himself, having unfortunately landed upside down. The mage’s tail is bright orange, with no fin. The older boy seems a bit self-conscious about his shirtless state, or maybe just because he’s upside down.

And then Sora spies Azlyn, and a bit more of Azlyn than he’s used to. Her tail is a dark grey with long manta ray wings on either side of her hips, offset by the bright yellow color of the seashells against her chest.

“Well hello to you too, Sora,” Azlyn says with a mockingly flirty smirk, noticing the Keybearer looking her over. “Not so gross now, huh?” She shakes her scaly hips and chuckles maniacally.

Sora rolls his eyes. “C’mon Azlyn, I never said you were gross, just…”

“Uh, guys?” Telary chimes in, looking nervously around his topsy turvy world. “Would you mind having this discussion later? Like, when I’m not upside down?”

Sympathetic to his friend’s distress, Sora swims over to him, his movements jerky and ungainly. Swimming with a tail, he realizes, is much different, mechanically, from the two-legged version.

He reaches Telary after a moment, grabs his friend’s shoulders and gently tugs him until he’s floating in an upright position.
“You okay?” he asks.

Telary nods, brushing some invisible something off his left pectoral. “Sure I am. After all, it’s just another day floating around underwater with a tail instead of legs, right?”

There’s a cry from somewhere behind Sora, but when he turns he sees that it’s just Azlyn, who’s accidentally swum herself into a large rock.

“Stupid ocean!” she exclaims, shaking her head to clear it. Hearing the stifled giggles of her companions, the girl swivels around the glare at them, but accidentally overcompensates and goes a quarter revolution too far.

Sora’s loud laughter at the girl’s antics are interrupted by the sound of rapidly displacing water.

“Come on Ariel!” yells a deep, heavily accented voice. A moment later the source is revealed as a tiny red crab paddling his way through the water as fast as he can.

“Would you relax?” the exasperated voice of a young mermaid replies. Long red hair flows behind her as she swims, her slim green hips swishing through the water with an easy confidence. Behind her paddles a nervous looking yellow and blue fish. “We definitely left those guys in our wake back there. Oh!”

The girl stops short, noticing the trio floating around staring at her. Tilting her head curiously, she slowly drifts toward them.

“Um, hi there!” Telary greets the girl hesitantly, nodding to her and her companions. “How do you do?”

Ariel stops in front of the group and smiles at them all. Her yellow friend moves to hover over her shoulder, but the crab keeps a wary distance.

“Be careful, princess!” the crustacean loudly cautions. “I don’t like the look’a dem!” Azlyn makes an offended face at the suggestion.

The redheaded girl giggles it off. “Oh, please Sebastian, calm down for once in your life. They don’t look like those scary fish at all!” The girl slowly begins to circle Sora, looking him up and down in a manner that makes him very uncomfortable. With another twitch of her tail, she assesses Telary in a similar manner. “Although, y’know, I don’t think I’ve ever seen any of these three around before.”

“Refugees, I’d tink,” Sebastian observes.

Sora looks to Telary, who nods. The Keybearer decides to go with it.

“Yeah, we’re, uh, refugees,” he lies, giggling nervously. “We came to, uh, here, to escape… y’know… Bad stuff.”

“I see.” The mermaid stops in front of the boy and smiles. “Well, my name is Ariel. This is my friend Flounder,” she gestures to the yellow fish, who bobs up in down in a sort of nod, “and the crab is Sebastian.”

The crab in question swims forward. “Alright, missy, dat’s enough small talk fer you. We gotta get back to the palace b’fore yer fadder finds out you snuck away!”

Ariel rolls her eyes and heaves a sigh. “Okay, Sebastian, okay! C’mon, I’ll show you the way to the palace.”

She turns and swims away, the other two locals falling in behind her. Sora follows after her, really getting the hang of this new type of swimming.

Telary and Azlyn follow, but their movements are still jerky and unrefined.

“Why are your friends swimming so funny?” Ariel asks Sora, one eyebrow quirked. “You’d think they didn’t even know how their tails worked!”

“Uh…” Sora stammers. If it weren’t for the fact that he’s completely submerged in water, his mouth would be dry as a bone from nerves.

“We come from an ocean that’s pretty far away,” Telary jumps in to explain. “There’s a lot of, uh, pressure differences that we aren’t used to yet. We’ll be fine as soon as we…” Azlyn yelps as she knocks her shoulder against a rock she wasn’t quick enough to avoid. “As soon as we can acclimate.”

“Well, you’ll have plenty’a time ta practice on our way to de palace,” Sebastian grumbles over his shoulder. “Now, c’mon, move it out double time b’fore…”

Around the trench’s corner appear a group of fast moving Heartless, tiny jelly-fish like creatures, the Heartless symbol prominently displayed across their faces. Ariel gasps and stops cold, while Sebastian and Flounder reverse direction entirely and move to take refuge behind a rock.

Sora summons the Keyblade, but Azlyn and Telary find themselves weaponless due to the transformation.

“I probably should have thought of that,” the mage sighs. Still, he and his counterpart swim up to float beside Sora, while Ariel hurriedly joins her friends. “I can still use some magic, but it might be tricky.”

“Fists should do me fine,” Azlyn agrees.

There’s no more time to waste, as the trio of Heartless are upon them, their tentacles swinging towards the trio.
Sora swims above and slashes down, eliminating one creature, but leaving an opening for the others, who smack at the Keybearer once more.

Azlyn moves to run interference, but a stray hit sends electricity sizzling along her body, shocking her to near paralysis.

“Uh, heal!” Telary yells as he moves his hands in a complicated gesture. The normal green glow of a curing spell appears over Azlyn, but it’s much more diminished than usual.

Sora finishes a second opponent with a slash, but as he turns to face the remaining Heartless, he overcompensates the turn, missing it completely.

The boy closes his eyes, expecting to feel a sting shoot across his back, but there’s only the loud whoosh of displaced water.
He turns to see that Ariel has joined the fight, slamming into the Sea Neon with a powerful shoulder blow. He’s certainly impressed by the girl’s courage.

The Heartless twists to attack her, but she manages to outmaneuver it and grab onto its bulbous head. With a grunt, she slams the creature into the rock wall so hard it dissipates immediately into inky Darkness.

Sora swims over to her, a big smile on his face. “Whoa! Way to go Ariel! You really…”

“What in da name’a Neptune did ya do dat fer?” Sebastian roars furiously as he emerges from his hiding place, Flounder close behind. “You coulda gotten yerself hurt, or killed! Tink’a what yer fadder would do ta me den!”

Ariel heaves another sigh and shakes her head.

“Man, Ariel,” Azlyn chimes in, recovered from her shock now, “your dad sounds like some kind of guy.”

The mermaid nods agreeably. “I know. Believe me, it isn’t easy having a father that’s king of the ocean.”

“King?” Telary exclaims.

“So you’re a princess too, huh?” Sora says, thinking of Jasmine, and Jafar’s mention of seven princesses and a door.

“Too?” the girl inquires.

“Uh, I didn’t say that.”

The princess looks confused for a second, but shrugs it off. “Well, anyway, like I was saying, Daddy can be pretty overprotective sometimes. He thinks if he doesn’t keep an eye on me I’ll wander off and get into trouble.”

“Like you did just now?” Azlyn says mockingly, arms crossed.

“Why are we still swimmin’ around her waiting fer dem tings to come back and get us?” Sebastian sighs. “Let’s get to da palace quick, eh?” He turns and takes off down the trench. Most of the party follows along after him, but Sora and Ariel hang back a bit.

“By the way,” the Keybearer tells the girl in low whispers as they make their way out of the trench and into a huge undersea canyon, “thanks for helping me out back there. If it weren’t for you, I’d be a goner!”

“You’re welcome Sora!” Ariel replies, the red hair swirling around her face making Sora think achingly of Kairi. “And welcome to Atlantica!”
Atlantica
The party journeys perhaps half an hour through wide valleys and underwater gorges, finally emerging through a small tunnel to see what Sebastian introduces as King Triton’s palace.

It’s a grand castle, several tall towers glittering gently in the sun. The outer courtyard is a large area with a single road running through it, passing under a giant hollowed out conch shell about halfway through. They pass by a small group of several young merpeople, who cheerily wave to Ariel as they pass. In fact, several clusters of people float all through the courtyard. Presumably the refuges Sebastian had mentioned earlier. There are too many for Sora’s liking.

At least, he thinks, Atlantica hasn’t yet gone the way of Agrabah, completely devoid of all signs of life.

That could change however, in an instant. The familiar sounds of dark portals opening startles the group, and they turn to see that a group of Heartless have arrived, a trio of humanoid creatures covered in green scaly armor. Yellow eyes peer out from their shadowy faces, their heads elongated and tapering off at one end like a torpedo.

The merfolk all scream and scatter, until a yellow stream of pure power, glowing like a lightning bolt in a summer storm, shoots out from behind Sora and hits all three of the dark creatures. When the light fades, they’re gone.

Sora and his group turn to see the source of their rescue, and find an older merman floating calmly between the palace gates. In his hand he holds a golden trident, still glowing from the energy attack. Taking a deep breath, he lowers his weapon and strokes his large white beard thoughtfully. Sora also notices a golden crown atop his head.

“Fear not!” the man announces with authority. The tone sounds like it comes natural to him, and in a strange way the man’s words actually do calm Sora’s fears. “I do not know how those dreadful creatures pierced my security measures, but rest assured it will not happen again! As long as I have the power of this trident, I will make my people safe!”

A great clamor arises from the assembled merfolk and fish, all of them eagerly and thankfully celebrating the proclamation of their king. After a few moments of rejoicing, the crowd scatters once more.

“Daddy!” Ariel says happily, swimming up to Triton and placing a gentle kiss on her father’s cheek. “You were amazing!”

Triton accepts the affection of his youngest daughter, but frowns at the girl as she withdraws. “Thank you Ariel. I hope that you’ll see now that those creatures are dangerous threats to this kingdom, and that you need to remain under my protection at the palace like your sisters, and the rest of my citizens.”

The mermaid rolls her eyes, tossing her hair simultaneously to hide it.

“Behold!” Sebastian announces to the guests from “another ocean”, waving a claw at the king with a grand flourish. “You swim before da king of de seas, His Royal Majesty King Triton!”

Telary bows deeply, and when he notices his companions aren’t following suit nudges them both until they get the memo and repeat his actions.

“They helped us out against some of those bad guys earlier,” Ariel explains cheerfully. “I think they could really be good for the kingdom!”

Triton frowns at the trio thoughtfully, his hand pensively stroking his white mustache. “I don’t recall ever seeing these people before. And if there is one thing I make sure to know, it’s my subjects…”

“Differentcurrent,” Telary says, the word’s coming out all at once in a nervous rush. “Um I mean, we’re not from around here, this ocean. I mean we are from an ocean, like all underwater merpeoplefolkguys… But the current is different. Pressure stuff, water temperature. We’re just passing through here, really. Gotta find the Keyhole…”

“What did you say?” the sea king interrupts, his face a sudden storm of consternation.

“Current?” Telary squeaks nervously.

Ariel moves closer to the group, circling Sora inquisitively. “What’s a Keyhole?”

“Well…” the Keybearer begins to explain.

“There is nothing like that here in my kingdom, I assure you!” Triton blusters, drifting a bit closer to the trio and nearly imperceptibly shaking his trident threateningly. “It’s nothing but a myth…”

“Like mermaids?” Azlyn mutters to Telary behind one hand.

“But daddy," Ariel protests, "are you sure…?”

Triton turns to his daughter, his posture becoming less threatening but still firm. “Ariel, the subject is closed. Now, you are to stay in the palace and away from these three, understand?”

Ariel shakes her head and swims off, Flounder following quickly after.

“Uh, Your Majesty, sir…” Telary says.

“You three are to stay away from my daughter. Am I clear?” The trio all nod. “I can offer you my protection, that’s my duty as ruler of Atlantica, but you are not to speak to my daughter again!”

“Where the hell do you get off, telling us to…?” Azlyn rages, thrusting forward at the sea king. Luckily, Sora manages to grab her by the tailfin and keep her held back.

“We understand, Your Majesty,” Telary says obediently, bowing once again. “We’ll just, um, take some time before being on our way.”

The trio swim off for the palace, and Triton sighs, relaxing once again.

“Sebastian,” he says, turning to the Royal Composer, “do you think I was too harsh on Ariel and those others?”

“Absolutely not, Majesty,” the crab declares, crossing his claws over his chest and shaking his head. “Teenagers need a firm hand, dey do. I must admit though, de talk of dis Keyhole somewhat intrigues me…”

The sea king glares at the crustacean, who acquiescingly ends his line of questioning. “Have you heard from our scouts lately? Have they gathered any more information on these creatures?”

Sebastian nods. “According to dem, de creatures are coming from Ursula’s grotto. Just like you suspected, Highness.”
The king gives his beard a concerned stroke. “I see that exile from the palace has taught that conniving witch nothing. This time she’s merely using minions to menace my people, instead of doing it herself.”

“She does pose a significant threat, my king. I still remember when I found out what she done to my brodder…”

“I believe,” Triton says, fixing the crustacean with a stern look, “I gave you orders to steer Ariel away from such dangers, did I not?”

Sebastian bows low. “And I shall, Your Majesty. I won’t let dat girl outta me sigh for one single minute!”

The king raises one eyebrow, lookin around for show. “Really? Well then your eyes must be better than I’d thought, if you can somehow see her when I…”

Getting the king’s point, Sebastian bows and takes off in the direction Ariel had fled, muttering under his breath. “What playing babysitter to some suicidally adventurous princess has to do with musical composition, I’ll never know…”

Last edited:

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards

Whoa, we went to Atlantica next! King Triton sure does know how to intimidate Sebastian and Telary. At least Azlyn has some guts about her. Too bad King Triton got upset when they mentioned the Keyhole. Obviously, there's one on there world otherwise the Heartless wouldn't be getting in so easily. Of course, Ursula probably helps with that too. And is there some kind of hint Azlyn and Sora might become a thing? Just something I noticed. Otherwise, this was another great chapter and can't wait to see more team ups with Ariel.

TelaryCri

Awards

Chapter XXIII: Fathoms Below, pt. 2
“Did you find anything?” Telary whispers to his companions from his position by the door to one of the grand chambers of King Triton’s palace. Despite the harsh words of the sea king, the trio knows that the Keyhole must be somewhere in Atlantica, and the palace seems an important enough place to consider.

It’s been nearly a half hour since they began their room to room search, Telary volunteering to play lookout while Sora and Azlyn did the searching. So far, they’ve come up empty handed.

“No, nothing yet,” Sora reports, examining a mural done entirely in coral growing out of one wall. The woman it depicts bears a striking resemblance to Ariel, from her copper-toned hair to her piercing eyes, but is clearly older, with a hint of dignity about her that Ariel doesn’t quite yet possess. “But I wonder if…”

“That’s my mother,” Ariel chimes in suddenly, swimming down from the room’s shadowed ceiling, her hair catching the light off its crystal chandelier.

“Oh,” Sora says after overcoming his shock at the princess’s sudden appearance. “Um, she’s very beautiful. Looks like you too.”

Ariel smiles and nods. “Everyone says that.” The smile suddenly drops into a mournful frown. “I wouldn’t know though. She died when I was only a little girl.”

“I’m sorry to hear that,” Telary sympathizes, patting the mermaid on the shoulder.

“Is that why your dad’s such an overprotective prick?” Azlyn asks, less sensitively. The question gets her dirty looks from both of her companions, but the knight remains unfazed.

The redhead sighs, but nods slowly. “Yes, I think so. It used to be that even music was banned from Atlantica, but I managed to convince him otherwise. But from what I’ve heard, he’s never been the same since my mother died.” There’s silence for a long minute, but eventually Ariel looks up to the trio and gives them a knowing smile. “You’re looking for that Keyhole, aren’t you?”

“Whaaat?” Telary squeaks. “Of course not! Your dad told us not to! We were just, um, admiring the architecture of…”

“Yeah, we were,” Sora replies coolly, not wishing to lie to Ariel or hear Telary ramble incoherently for seemingly endless minutes. “I know your dad isn’t too keen on the idea, but it really is important that we find it.”

The princess nods. “Well, I wanted to show you guys something. It’s pretty special to me but, well, there’s just something telling me that you need to see it.”

“What is it?”

Ariel turns and swims to the door. “Follow me, and I’ll take you right there.”

The trio follow the princess through the wide hallways of the underwater palace, steadily moving down levels as they go. Eventually, they reach a tiny door. Ariel opens it, and the group finds themselves suddenly outside, the sun shining through the water above.

“Ariel!” Telary stage whispers, looking around nervously. “Your father said you couldn’t leave the palace. Us too!”

The mermaid just giggles. “Don’t worry Telary, I do this all the time! I’ve never been caught before.”

“It’s true,” Flounder chimes in, descending from above and startling Telary near to fainting.

“Now c’mon! It’s just out in the valley this way.”

As the group swims off once again, Sebastian emerges from behind a rock, where he’d been able to see everything. With a frown and a bit of a private grumble, he takes off after the princess and her band of strange outsiders as stealthily as he knows how.

Eventually they come to a wall at the edge of the undersea valley, a large stone leaning up against it. Ariel nods at the stone and grips its edge, gesturing for Sora to help. He latches on as well, and together the pair pull back the stone to reveal a small tunnel.

Through the tunnel they enter a small cave. The grotto is bathed in light from a small hole at the top, shifting and shimmering off of hundreds of objects that line the chamber’s walls, stacked in shelves that extend one over the other to near the very top.

Sora sees chests and glasses and all manner of pottery, though most of it is chipped or rusted.

“This is my collection!” Ariel announces proudly, rising and twirling around twice for effect. “It’s all from the surface above, I think.” She rushes over to a porcelain figure of a ballerina, posed on one pointed foot, arms raised. “I have no idea what any of it is, and as far as I know there isn’t anyone who can explain it to me. Have you ever seen anything like… Like this!”

The mermaid opens a flat box, revealing a full set of silverware, still shiny despite the amount of time it must have spent underwater.

“Uh…” Sora hesitates, taking a moment to debate internally whether it would be worse to disrupt world order or pretend that he doesn’t know what freaking silverware is! “No, I have no idea. That surface world is, uh, sure has some wild stuff.”

Ariel closes the box and returns it to its place next to the ballerina, shaking her head softly. “It’s all so wonderful though!” She sighs and lets herself drift downward, reclining on a long smooth rock in the midst of the cave. “Can I tell you something, Sora? Just between the two of us?”

The Keybearer makes a quick look around to check that his companions are occupied, seeing that Telary is examining an old spyglass and Azlyn is rifling through various chests, undoubtedly looking for anything with value that could possibly translate into munny. Assured that his and Ariel’s conversation will be private, he drifts down to sit beside the reclining princess.

The mermaid sits up and cups a hand around Sora’s ear, the close contact bringing a blush to the boy’s face. “I wish I could go up above, sometimes. And stay there.” She pulls back and gives the hole at the top of the cave a wistful look. “Isn’t it amazing? Just the thought of other places, other worlds…” She frowns and returns her gaze to Sora, something sad and embarrassed in her eyes. “I sound crazy, don’t I? I mean, the surface and human stuff, sure but… Other worlds? Could you imagine?”

The boy from another world grins sheepishly, absently scratching his bicep. “You don’t sound crazy at all.”

Truthfully, she sounds like Riku. The Riku from back home on Destiny Islands, not whatever kind of unpleasant person he’s apparently become. Ever since the arrival of Kairi he had spoken of other worlds with the same kind of reverence and awe as Ariel.

The older boy had been so fervent in his desire that, at some point, Sora had just found himself caught up in it. Sitting her now, the boy begins to question whether or not he ever really wanted to leave his home or not. Certainly if given the choice at this point, he’d do anything to have never left the islands and their calm security.

“I remember I used to feel the same way…” he chuckles, thinking back.

“Used to…?”

Sora blanches nervously, giving Ariel a sheepish grin. “Well, I still do but, uh, y’know, being in another ocean is kinda like, y’know, a whole other world.”

The princess nods, apparently satisfied. “I’ve never even left Atlantica.” She swims up and gestures for everyone’s attention. “Now, let’s find that Keyhole!

“But Ariel, your dad said…” Telary begins in cautionary tones.

“Oh, who cares?” The princess swims over to a stack of barrels sitting against one wall. With a grunt of effort, she pushes them aside, revealing a three-pronged indentation set back in a blue stone wall. “Look here! Do you think this could be anything?”

Curious, Sora summons the Keyblade and swims closer to the indentation. In a way, it reminds him of the ornate Keyhole set back in the walls of the Cave of Wonders, and the tree branch back in the jungle.

The Keyblade doesn’t seem to agree however. There’s no sudden gathering of light, no beam, not even a twitch.

The Keybearer turns to the mermaid with a frown. “I don’t think it’s anything, or my Keyblade would have sealed it by now.”

A frown of her own blemishes Ariel’s face, but she nods acquiescingly.

“It’s not in the palace, and it’s not here,” Telary recollects, swimming in a lazy, aimless pattern as he scratches at his chin. “Ariel, is there anything else significant in this wo… I mean, in Atlantica? Keyholes tend to show up in big important places. Though looking back, they do seem to have an aversion to palaces…”

“There is a place,” the princess blurts out happily, looking smugly satisfied for thinking it up. “It’s an old ship wreck out by the open ocean. I’ve never been there, but my daddy has been telling me to stay away for as long as I can remember, so…”

“There’s gotta be something pretty great there,” Azlyn finishes, appreciating Ariel’s anti-authoritarian streak. It seems to match her own quite nicely. “It’s worth a shot, I say! Plus, there could be, like, pirate gold inside, and there’s no way I’m passing that up!”

“Uh, I don’t know,” Flounder says in stutters and stammers. “It sounds pretty dangerous. Not to mention spooky. And, and there are people that say a shark…”

Ariel rolls her eyes, already leading the way out of her grotto. “You are such a guppy, Flounder.”

Sora and Azlyn follow the princess to the exit, but the knight notices Telary hanging back, idly examining the porcelain ballerina. It seems to be the topper of some kind of music box.

“Telary?”

The mage looks up at his counterpart, looking a bit pale. “Sunken ships are one thing, and Heartless are another but… I mean, a shark, Azlyn!”

His friend swims forward and takes him by the arm, pulling him along to the exit in her strong grip. “Whaddya know,” she muses to herself, “I’ve got a guppy of my own.”

Once he’s sure he won’t be spotted, Sebastian emerges from his hiding place in a pile of jewelry, frowning deeply.

On the one claw, his mission from the king is to report back on any dangerous activities his youngest was participating in, which means it would be best if he followed the girl out to the shipwreck and made an account of her actions there.

On the other claw, now that he knows that Ariel is about to do something that could really threaten her wellbeing, perhaps he should report her to the king now and head off any potentially harmful conduct?

“It used ta be,” he grumbles as he skitters for the exit, his claws clicking together in expression of his annoyance, “dat da biggest choice I had ta make was ‘minor’ or ‘major’. Oh, how did my life come ta dis?”

The tiny composer exits the cave, but still it is not empty, for as soon as he has gone, twin eels descend through the hole up top, having seen everything with their mismatched eyes: one a milky white, the other yellow.

“So,” mutters their eight-legged mistress, reclining in her cushioned conch shell in a lair far from the grotto, far from the palace, far from damn well anywhere as a matter of fact, “it seems that the Keybearer and the princess have become the best of friends. Interesting, that. More interesting still if that ginger bimbo is one of Maleficent’s princesses. I wonder…?”
What a coup that would be for the power dynamic in their little consortium! With the girl in her possession, she could have a very compelling bargaining chip…

“And even if she isn’t of use to Maleficent,” the sea witch muses, rising from her throne and smiling nastily into the cauldron in the center of her lair, “she could prove useful in a more… personal capacity…”

For a moment, she listens to the loud shriek of her shriveled captives, poor unfortunate merfolk so desperate to be granted their hearts’ desire they’d been willing to cut a deal with the sea witch. Unfortunately, wishes are something of a seller’s market, and when it had come time to pay up, every one of the now shriveled polyps had come up short.

Well, they’re paying the price now.

KH-KH-KH

The sight of the sunken ship before them, resting just on the lip of a large cliff that leads down into an impossibly deep blue void, fairly awes the trio, and Ariel as well. It makes Sora think of lessons taught in school of ships ravaged by storms, or raided by pirates.

The thought of school awakens a sudden, sharp emotional pang inside. His teachers, his friends, class pets even, all gone. Wiped out by the Heartless.

And if he doesn’t find the Keyhole soon, Sora knows that the same fate could befall Atlantica. That won’t happen on his watch.

“How long has this been down here, Ariel?” Telary asks curiously as the group swims their way to the wretched galleon. It’s a massive ship, probably seventy feet from stem to stern. The sails are gone, most floating gently in the water’s current, but the mast still stands as tall and proud as ever, unwilling to admit defeat.

“I’ve been hearing legends about it as long as I can remember,” the princess replies, as awestruck by the sight as the offworlders. “It’s amazing! I can’t even imagine how great it must have looked, sailing the seas.” She grins sheepishly. “Sometimes I go to the surface, just to take a peek. I’ve seen a few ships, but they’re way smaller than this.”

Noticing a recessed stairwell leading belowdecks, Sora leads the group down and into the belly of the ship. None of them notice the dark shadow gliding over the entrance.

The hold is sparse, just a large room with a single picture window looking out over the ocean. Debris lies everywhere, boxes and barrels of all descriptions.

Azlyn scowls. “What kinda two bit shipwreck is this?” She moves closer to a pile resting below the window, sifting through its contents with a disdainful look on her face.

She’s too caught up in her scavenging to notice the huge shape bearing down on the window. Telary, luckily, does, realizing immediately the danger his counterpart is facing.

“Azlyn!” he screams, lurching forward a foot. The knight looks up, puzzled, just as a massive grey shark knocks against the picture window, shattering it and sending glass up into the water.

Sora summons the Keyblade on instinct, but Azlyn’s reflexes are also quick enough to give her time to duck beneath the tooth filled maw of the gluttonous shark.

The great creature roots around, shaking its head and snapping its teeth in a hungered frenzy, but unfortunately for its stomach, the predator is unable to break in. The space is just too tight. With something like a resigned grunt, the shark retreats.

After a moment, everyone manages to calm down. Telary and Flounder cautiously creep their way out from behind a pile of debris where they’d taken refuge.

“I suggest,” the mage says, clearing his throat and trying to regain a bit of dignity, “that we wait a minute before exiting. With any luck, our friend will find something better to eat.”

The party nods in agreement, but Ariel’s eyes light up as something catches her eye. Grinning, she swims over to a pile of debris near the back of the ship, pushing things over to reveal a hinged trapdoor on the floor beneath.

“Look in here!” she exclaims, popping the hatch with a grunt of effort. She swims down immediately, and Sora follows.

The pair finds themselves in a smaller storage space, still looking neatly organized despite the sinking. Large barrels and crates sits stacked to one side, lashed to the walls with heavy rope.

A single chest rests on the floor, the latch most likely broken when it fell. Ariel swims up to it and pops the lid, revealing a three-pronged trident head made entirely of crystal.

“This,” Ariel remarks, lifting the object and examining it with a pleased look on her face, “looks like it would fit perfectly in the indent in my grotto! I wonder…”

Sora requests to hold the object, and the princess acquiesces. He looks over it, and concludes that it does in fact seem a perfect size for the indentation.

“I guess it’s worth a shot,” he agrees with a smirk. “And if not, at least you’ve got something else for your collection.”

They return to the main hold, showing the others the treasure they’d found. Telary examines the thing and informs the party that there does seem to be a bit of an aura around it.

“Let’s go try it out!” Ariel exclaims, swimming for the broken window.

“Uh, are you sure that shark’s not gonna be out there, w-waiting for us?” Flounder asks nervously, wringing his fins together.

The princess rolls her eyes and continues on her way. Sora, Azlyn, and Telary follow after.

The water around the shipwreck seems clear, but Telary and Flounder remain cautious, ever wary of a renewed shark offensive.

“Damn guys,” Azlyn says with an offending chuckle, “would you just relax? You think a big dumb shark would be smart enough to wait around and ambush us? No way, as soon as that thing decided we were too tough to get at, it took off for an easier meal, I’m telling you…”

The shark of course attacks at that moment, because irony is not lost even underwater.

Sora sees it first, calling out for the group to scatter. They all manage it in enough time, luckily, even as the huge grey predator plows through the water like a torpedo with teeth. Its strong current knocks the party even further apart.

Telary tucks Flounder under his arm and barrels downward, in his eagerness to escape losing track of the practice he’s had at it.

Sensing weakness, the shark dives for the mage and his yellow cargo, something ugly in its eyes even as its mouth contorts into a satisfied smile. This is too easy.

“Oh no you don’t!” Azlyn cries out, knocking into the creature with all the force of a rock from a sling, wrapping her arms around its tail and dragging it deep, away from the now ascending Telary.

It turns and snaps its teeth, nearly getting a bite from the flesh of Azlyn’s shoulder. It can’t turn enough, however, with the knight grasping its tail.

It decides for a different strategy, whipping its tail violently to the left. The force is too great for Azlyn, and she loses her grip and stumbles away, turning involuntary flips through the water as she does so.

The shark rounds on her and shoots forward, hell-bent on getting not only a decent bite, but also revenge on the one who dared float between a meal and its mouth.

Sora and Ariel are on hand to help, descending rapidly towards the girl from Disney Castle, but Ariel manages to get their first, by virtue of being used to her tail. With a defiant shout, the princess stops dead in front of the creature and thrusts her fist out, remembering a story her sister told once of an old Atlantican folk hero defeating a shark with a swift punch to the nose.

Her fist impacts directly in between the predator’s nostrils, a torrent of bubble rising as it involuntarily exhales.

It gives Ariel the stink eye, but the girl stands firm, her hard eyes defying the thing to make another attempt at eating her friend.

Realizing in the recesses of its dim brain that a meal isn’t worth all this trouble, the shark snaps its teeth once more to save face, then turns tail and makes a beeline for the open ocean.

Unfortunately, it’s so disoriented from Ariel’s assault to its face that it blindly attempts to swim through the large circular opening of an anchor that has sunk deep into the ground. The opening allows its head through, but its torso is simply too large. The predator squirms and struggles, but finds itself incapable of releasing itself.

Empowered by their opponent’s trapped state, Telary and Flounder float in front of it, gloating on their minds.

“Ha ha!”

“Serves you right, you big bully!”

It may be confused, it may be stuck, but the shark will be damned before it lets these two mock it. With the last bit of defiant energy in its body, the shark viciously snaps its teeth at the pair.

They yelp and hightail it over to where the others are waiting, all of them ready to get out of here and test their theory of the crystal trident.

The journey back to Ariel’s grotto is filled with excited chatter, mostly Azlyn praising Ariel for her quick actions and powerful punch.

“For a princess,” the knight says with as much respect in her voice as Sora heard when she was addressing Queen Minnie, “you sure know how to dish it out. I mean seriously, I’d hate to go a few rounds with you…”

ARIEL!”

Uh oh,” Sora blurts out as he realizes that Triton, king of Atlantica, is floating in front of the entrance to his daughter’s grotto, clutching the golden trident in one hand and looking mad as hell. Sebastian floats beside him, trying to look as tough as his king, but mostly just seeming nervous about the whole affair.

“Um, hi daddy!” Ariel blurts out, shoving the crystal trident into Telary’s hands. Almost on reflex, he shoves it into Azlyn’s hands, who freaks out and passes it off to Sora. The princess swims up to her father, endeavoring to look as innocent as possible. “We were just, um, we…”

“Ariel, you deliberately disobeyed me!” the sea king exclaims admonishingly, frowning deeply at his youngest daughter. “I told you to stay away from these people and inside the palace!” He notices the crystal trident in Sora’s hands and his expression becomes impossibly more furious. The king reaches out and snatches it out of the Keybearer’s hand easily.

He tosses it upward as his trident begins to glow, painting the water around him the dark orange of an angry sunset. A lightning bolt sizzles forth from the trident’s forks, striking the mysterious object. There’s a flash of light and a loud crash, and suddenly the crystal is in a million tiny pieces, floating aimlessly downward.

Ariel looks at her father, heartbroken and on the verge of tears. That doesn’t last long though, soon twisting into a look of pure anger to rival the old merman’s.

“How could you?” the princess chokes out, shutting her eyes in despair and turning tail, swimming off for parts unknown. Sebastian moves to follow her, but finds himself stopped by Flounder’s outstretched fin. The fish shakes his head at the composer. He knows Ariel just needs some time spent alone

For a brief, nearly unnoticeable instant, the look of resolve on the sea king’s face turns to one of fatherly concern, but by the time his gaze is back on the trio, the fury has returned.

With a sharp gesture of the trident, Triton orders the offworlder trio into Ariel’s grotto. Heads bowed, they enter.

Luckily for Ariel, the items inside the cave remain intact, sitting peacefully on the shelves ringing the room.

“I think we’re in trouble,” Telary squeaks out nervously.

The sea king enters the cave and floats in front of the trio, a look of pure scorn on his face.

“I know who you are,” he says, his voice pure steel and anger. “I know where you come from. You’re not from another ocean… You’re from another world!”

Sora feels like he’s swallowed a gallon of seawater, his stomach literally turning at the harsh words of the sea king. It’s the same stab of guilt and rage at himself he’d felt after finding Alice and Jasmine gone. The same feeling of failure.

It’s part of his duty as wielder of the Keyblade to blend in as much as possible, not letting on to his offworlder status, and he has failed in it.

“How do you know about other worlds?” Azlyn asks, her hands balling into fists almost reflexively.

“You must be the Keybearer then,” Triton says, ignoring the knight’s question completely. His angry look has something else mixed in with it, Sora notices. Something in the sea king’s eyes. Fear, the boy thinks.

“Yes, I am,” Sora says solemnly, calling the Keyblade to his hand. Triton looks at it as if it’s a loaded cannon, ready to fire at any moment. “And I came to your kingdom to…”

The trident flares yellow in Triton’s hand once again, startling the boy into silence. “You should not have come at all. You must have been told not to meddle in the affairs of other worlds! Keybearers shatter peace and bring ruin.”

“Like hell!” Azlyn snarls, lunging at the sea king for the second time in as many hours. Luckily for her long-term health, Telary manages to intercept her before she can reach the merman.

“I may not agree with the way she’s expressing herself,” Telary says, looking at the sea king as defiantly as he can manage, “but Azlyn is right! There’s no way Sora could ever do anything like that. In fact, his ‘meddling’ has saved a lot of…”

“It doesn’t matter,” Triton interrupts, the authority in his voice absolute. “Whether intentional or not, you are a menace to my world, and I cannot tolerate it! There is no place in my ocean for you or your key. And so you must leave at once!”

Having said his piece, Triton turns tail for the exit of the grotto, knowing he has done the right thing. So what if the boy had saved his daughter? If the legends his father had passed down to him rang true, then certainly it was only a matter of time before the devastation always wrought by Keybearers rained down on Atlantica.

Thinking once more of his daughter, Triton stops short out of the entrance to the grotto. Looking back, he has half a mind the go back in there and vaporize every vile, disgusting human thing and contraption he could lay eyes on.

But enough damage has been done to the relationship between him and his youngest, he thinks. He only wishes that Ariel could see why he acted as he did. Only ever to protect her, and all the denizens of his kingdom from whatever threat presented itself, whether it be vile humans, deadly creatures stealing hearts, or spiky haired Keybearer’s shattering the worlds’ delicate balance.

Anything to save the people he loves from ruin.
Yikes, that Triton can be one tough cookie, but I know it comes from a place of love. And to speak to your Azlyn/Sora observation, Kit, no there isn't anything romantic there. In my mind they're more like twins, close but also easily able to get under each other's skin.

Though fun fact, I had originally envisioned something Azlyn/Sora when this story was starting out, then decided that love triangles are a (in my opinion) rather played out dynamic in OC fan fiction.

Until next time!

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards

Telary and Flounder make a fine pair of guppies. lol. King Triton is scary. Azlyn, you are so damn luck Telary is there to keep you from being vaporized by King Triton's trident. Of course, going up against a shark can be pretty scary. Ariel is also a great fighter and head strong like her daddy. (I mean this in a good way.) You know, I do think Ariel could've potentially been a Princess of Heart if it weren't for the fact she isn't a land mammal. And awesome, glad to hear it wasn't all in my mind. However, I agree, Azlyn and Sora are more like twins than lovers. Therefore, I'm good with that. :)

TelaryCri

Awards

Chapter XXIII: Fathom's Below, pt. 3
Back in the grotto, Sora sits on the center reclining rock, staring at the Keyblade in his hand and contemplating the words of Triton.

“C’mon, Sora,” Azlyn encourages, sitting beside him so close their bare shoulders rub together, “you can’t let what that jerk said get to you.”

“But what if he’s right?” he boy asks, turning to his companion with a worried look. “What if everything I’ve been doing means more bad things happen eventually? I mean, I haven’t exactly been following the ‘don’t interfere’ rule.”

“It’s true,” Telary admits, leaning against the side of the rock himself, his tail resting on the sandy floor below him. With a sigh, he pushes himself up to float before Sora. “I mean, we’ve been hardcore ignoring that rule ever since you ran out to stop Alice’s trial. There hasn’t been a single world you’ve stepped foot on in which you haven’t significantly altered the natural course of events.”

Sora just looks up at the older boy, mouth agape. The tone of Telary’s speech indicates it’s some kind of pep talk, but the words themselves…

“Wow, thanks Tel,” Azlyn mocks, also surprised at her counterpart’s unusual harshness. “Say, are we gonna get billed for all this therapy?”

The mage sighs, chuckles, and shakes his head, like he’s teaching a class of children who just don’t get his lesson. “What I mean to say is yes, you’ve interfered in the affairs of worlds that aren’t yours. You’ve meddled so hard I’m sure there could be some kind of record awarded for it. But every time you interfere, things turn out better.”

Sora blinks at the mage.

“Let’s start with that first instance: Alice,” Telary says, rising a few feet higher and smiling broadly. “If it weren’t for you, she would have gotten her head chopped off for something the Heartless did. Sure we kinda fumbled the all-encompassing rescue, but the Cheshire Cat sure talked about her like she was still alive, so we’ll get our second chance.

“You entered the Olympus Coliseum Games despite having no actual business doing it, and in the process you saved the life of Hercules, or Cloud, or heck, both! In the jungle you stopped Clayton from poaching gorillas. And, I think it goes without saying that without you sealing the Keyholes, everywhere we visited would be gone now because of the Heartless!”

Telary floats down next to the Keybearer and places a brotherly arm around his shoulders. “So yeah, you’ve meddled. And Azlyn and I have been enabling it. But in the end, Sora, you’re doing good things for hundreds, maybe thousands of people. That’s what being the Keyblade wielder is about, I think.”

Sora smiles at the older boy, gratified to have his support. Still, there’s something bothering him.

“But what if the things I do now lead to worse things later?” he asks.

Azlyn fields this one. “Sora, please. When has considering the long term consequences of our actions been something any of us has been concerned with?”

All three have a very good, very long chuckle about that.

KH-KH-KH

In another grotto far away, an undersea garden decorated with all manner of coral and seaweed swaying in the current, lit by the bright sun streaming through clear water, Ariel cries against a rock not unsimilar to the one in the center of her private retreat.

How could her father have done what he did to her? After years and years of being overprotective, keeping her from doing anything that felt meaningful with her life, the first time she’d had a chance to help someone do something, he had ruined it!Why oh why couldn’t he just understand?

“Poor child,” a low, sibilant voice cuts through her sobs, sending her head shooting up to see two eels floating above her, looking down with mismatched eyes. “You’ve suffered so, haven’t you?”

Ariel backs up, swallowing a bit heavier than usual. Who are these creatures?

“Yes, she has,” the other replies, his voice more gravelly than his partner. “Such a shame. Oh, Flotsam, there must be something we can do to help.”

The smooth-voiced eel scratches his chin with the end of his tail, looking thoughtful. “There might be, I think. Yes, we can call her.”

Ariel backs up even more, only realizing that she has nowhere left to go when she finds herself bumping into the natural blue stone wall of the garden.

“Who are you talking about?” the princess asks, even as the eels rise and begin to circle each other. “Who would…?”

In a puff of inky black darkness, the eels disappear, leaving only an oily cloud behind. From the cloud emerges perhaps the largest woman Ariel has ever seen. The pale purple skin of her arms contrasts with the blackness of her torso, leading down into eight writhing tentacles. Her round purple face holds a huge, toothy smile, though the teeth revealed are stained yellow. White hair floats above her head like an undulating tower.

“Well hello there, my child,” the woman greets, sounding more like a visiting aunt than a monster woman who has just emerged from a puff of pure shadow. “I’ve heard of your predicament and came immediately to help. After all, I just can’t stand a poor, unfortunate…”

“Who are you?” Ariel asks nervously, though she has her suspicions, and none of them point to anything good.

“Oh goodness!” the octopus woman laughs heartily, wiping a tear from her eye. “How could I forget to introduce myself? My manners are usually better refined than this, sweetie, believe me!” She swims closer to the princess and gives a bow, which is a motion that does not do flattering things to her body. “My name is Ursula, dear. I am…”

“Sea witch!” Ariel exclaims, shooting past Ursula. She turns and jabs an accusatory finger at the purple-skinned woman. “My father had you banished from the palace! He said that you were eating fish and merpeople!”

Ursula recoils from the redhead, looking offended at the insinuation. “Is that so, chickie poo?” she spits back with her hands planted defiantly on her hips. “Is that really the story they’re going with? Ha! Saying such things about me, can you imagine? It’s offensive, is what it is!”

Ariel cocks her head curiously. “You mean, that’s not true?” Any other day, Ariel wouldn’t even begin to entertain thoughts of her father lying to her about anything. But after what has happened in the past few hours…

“Not a word!” Ursula swears, though the princess fails to notice that two of her tentacles are crossed. “It was all just a misunderstanding, really, nothing more! Your father and I saw differently about certain things and, well, you know how he can be when you don’t follow every one of his orders to the letter.”

Ariel can definitely agree with Ursula on that point. Still…

“What are you doing here?”

The witch smiles.

“Why, I’m here to help you!” The woman floats closer to Ariel, and this time the mermaid doesn’t back away, letting the octopus lady squeeze her arm affectionately. “I know all about your wish to see other worlds, my dear, and I’m here to tell you that it is in fact possible!”

“You mean it?” Ariel exclaims. Could her dreams really be so close to becoming reality?

“It shan’t be difficult at all, my sweet,” Ursula assures her with a broad smile that unfortunately nets the princess another sight of those teeth. “After all, your new friends came from another world.”

Ariel nods, realizing that she should have spotted that fact from a mile away. Current differences or not, their swimming technique had been almost embarrassing!

“They had a bit of help though, I’m afraid. That Keyblade,” Ursula codifies, sinking Ariel’s hopes a little. The sea witch moves close enough to whisper in the mermaid’s ear. “But you’ve got something special too, I think. All I’ll need is access to a powerful enough artifact, and I can have you on your way in no time!”

“Artifact? I don’t know what you’re talking about…”

Ursula’s smile widens even more, revealing something lodged between her back teeth that Ariel can swear she sees… wriggling. “Oh. I think you do, my dear. I think you do…”

KH-KH-KH

Having decided to officially screw everything Triton told them, Sora leads the trio out of Ariel’s grotto, ready to begin the search for the Keyhole anew.

They’re interrupted by the sound of heavy crying from somewhere below.

It turns out to be Sebastian, sitting on a rock and balling his eyes out while Flounder floats beside him looking lost.

“What’s wrong with you?” Azlyn asks callously.

“It’s all my fault!” the crab exclaims, burying his red face in his claws. “I told da sea king about Ariel’s grotto, and yer going to da shipwreck! It ain’t fair, mon, it ain’t! I don’t wanna be no snitch, all I wanna do is write beautiful music.”

“Aww, it’s alright, Sebastian,” Sora says sympathetically, allowing the composer to climb onto his open palm. “You had your orders, I understand. Anyone would have done the same.”

“Azlyn wouldn’t have,” Telary points out with an amused look at his counterpart.

“Hey, Flounder,” Sora says, turning to the yellow fish, “do you know where Ariel went? With the Heartless around, it probably isn’t safe for her to be off alone.”

The fish shrugs. “Without her grotto to go to, I’m not sure where she might have gone to be alone.”

Sora frowns, but a thought comes to mind. It isn’t one he particularly likes, but… “We should ask her dad to help look for her.”

Azlyn looks absolutely scandalized. “After what that jerk did to us, you wanna go see him? C’mon, Sora, I know looking for the best in others and crap is, like, your thing, but…”

“He’s right,” Telary agrees with the Keybearer. “Regardless of how he feels about us, the king loves his daughter, and I’m sure he wouldn’t want anything bad to happen to her.”

“If he even lets us inside that palace,” Azlyn mutters in dissatisfaction. “I bet we won’t even get inside.”

KH-KH-KH

It’s a simple matter for Ariel to lead Ursula inside the palace using her secret exit. So much so that Ursula even internally chides herself a bit for never thinking of finding a secret passage in the first place.

“Are you sure that you can use Daddy’s trident to take me another world?” Ariel asks nervously, looking around the halls to make sure no one can see her and her ‘guest’.

“With no problem at all, deary,” the sea witch promises once again as the princess plays right into her hands, leading her straight to the throne room.

Ursula hangs back while Ariel enters to see her father reclining in his seat, the trident floating behind his throne.

“Ariel!” the sea king perks immediately upon seeing his daughter, swimming to her and enveloping her in a hug. “Oh, Ariel I was so worried.” He holds her out to arm’s length, pure sadness in his eyes. “I behaved rashly, Ariel, I know that now. But you’ve got to understand, everything I do is for you, and the protection of my kingdom.”

Ariel looks away, not wanting to see Ursula grab the trident from its resting place. Triton takes the gesture as further rejection, and his face falls.

“Oh, my dear Ariel,” the sea king sighs, stroking his little girl’s red hair. “I just love you so…”

There’s a noise like crackling electricity, and a bright yellow flash suddenly erupts across the sea king’s back. He cries out in pain and sinks like a stone. Ariel watches the hurting, betrayed look in his eyes as he floats to the floor below.

“Finally!” Ursula roars in triumph, raising the trident above her head. “Oh I have waited years for this moment! The trident in my hand, and the dear king Triton laying at my tentacles!”

“No Ursula!” Ariel cries as she swims down to check on her father. He’s still breathing, but its shallow and his eyes are rheumy and unfocused. Ursula floats over to hover above the pair. “This isn’t what we agreed on! I didn’t want this!”

Ursula gives the princess a look of mock sympathy. “Of course not, child. I believe you said you wanted to go to other worlds, didn’t you?” She smiles. “Well I assure you, I’m not one to renege of my promises. You’ll see another world alright my dear. As soon as I find that Keyhole, everyone in Atlantica will get themselves an all-expenses paid trip to the dark world of the Heartless!”

“Mistress!” Flotsam calls, he and his partner slithering into the throne room with worried looks on both their faces. “Jetsam and I searched everywhere. The Keyhole is not in the palace!”

“What!” the witch roars, snorting bubbles in her anger. After a moment though, she calms herself, looking down at the helpless sea king and his daughter. “Well, no matter. It’s got to be somewhere, and I’ll have plenty of time for searching after I take my revenge.”

The trident crackles to life once again as Ursula raises it once more. With a gleeful cry she thrusts downward, sending a beam of energy at the prostrate royal family.

The beam makes about half of its journey before another, thinner beam of pure white light flies to intercept it. There’s a loud pop noise before both beams fade in a miniature explosion, raining nothing more than harmless sparks down on Ariel and her father.

“I don’t think so, lady!” Sora yells defiantly, arriving in the throne room with Azlyn, Telary, Sebastian, and Flounder in tow.

“Ursula da sea witch!” Sebastian exclaims, darting to cower behind Azlyn. “She be bad news mon. Ate me brodder she did!”

Ursula smiles at the group. “Yes, I did always enjoy my crustaceans.”

“Give the trident back right now, or I’m going to have to deal with you the hard way!” Sora threatens, gripping the Keyblade tightly in both hands.

The sea witch just gives a sardonic grin, summoning a cloud of ink to hide her escape. “I think not, handsome.”

And just like that, she and both her minions are gone.

The entire party moves down to help Ariel, and together she and Telary manage to get Triton back to his throne. The sea king slumps back into the seat, still looking dazed.

“Oh, this is all my fault!” Ariel laments, clutching desperately at her father’s arm. “I just wanted to see other worlds, daddy! I didn’t know that this would happen.”

“You caused this?” Azlyn says incredulously, receiving an admonishing thump on the arm from Sora.

“I did cause this,” the princess admits, letting go of her father and floating away with her head bowed.

Triton groans and Sebastian immediately moves to hover over the fallen king. “Oh, Your Majesty…”

“Ursula,” he chokes out weakly, turning to look at Sora with clouded eyes. “Her lair is in a tunnel near the shipwreck. I sealed it off years ago. You’ll find her there.”

“And we’ll take her down too!” Azlyn declares resolutely.

“But she has the trident,” Telary points out, shaking a bit at the thought of facing that much magical power. “How are we supposed to deal with that?”

“Ursula has never wielded the trident before,” Triton says, coughing a bit. “To control its power, she’ll have to tie it into the magic of her cauldron. If-if you strike the cauldron with magic, you can disrupt it. You can defeat her!”

Sora nods determinately. “Let’s go get her!”

The trio take off for their confrontation, but find themselves stopped by Ariel, who moves to intercept, floating in front of them with a steely look on her face.

“I’m coming with you,” she declares, clearly brooking no room for disagreement. “I made this mess and I have to help clean it up.”

Sora looks to both of his companions, who nod in agreement. Turning back to Ariel, he gives her an accepting smile.

The passage to Ursula’s hideout is easy to find, and a long tunnel of purple rock leads the group to the bones and leftover skin of some long dead leviathan. They enter through the creature’s mouth.

“Yikes!” Telary exclaims, rearing up and floating as high as possible, looking down at the wretched, shriveled creatures that line the “floor”. “What are those?”

One of them raises its head and Ariel gets a look at its eyes, big, blue, and full of pleading and sorrow. “They’re merfolk,” she says, unsure how she can just instinctively know. “They must have made deals with Ursula and…”

“The poor dears just couldn’t make payment,” the mocking voice of Ursula finishes, coming from deeper down in the lair. Cautiously, the group follows the sea witch’s voice into a large round chamber.

To one side rests a large vanity, beauty products stacked high. In the center lies an enormous cauldron, its diameter roughly the size of Telary. It glows with an eerie, mysterious light.

“You’re going to pay for what you’ve done, Ursula!” Ariel declares defiantly.

The octopus woman sneers at the party. “I’d like to see you try, dearie. Flotsam! Jetsam! Attack, my babies!”

The eels emerge from behind the group, slamming into Azlyn and Telary. The pair recover quickly though, each grabbing an eel by the squirming tail.

They manage to wriggle free however, rearing back for another attack. But before they can strike, Telary concentrates hard enough to call down a vicious thunder spell, shocking the pair so hard they fall into immediate unconsciousness.

“Sorry Ursula,” Sora mocks the witch, who looks ready to blow a gasket. “It looks like your ‘babies’ aren’t gonna be any help to you at all!”

Ursula grips the trident’s shaft hard enough to turn her knuckles white, scowling at the merfolk surrounding her. Inky black darkness rises from her tentacles like an angry cloud. She’s growing larger by the millisecond.

Noticing the change, the party retreats to the far walls of the chamber, then out into the open ocean as Ursula rips through the walls of dead leviathan skin and sends the bones drifting into the abyss. Soon all that remains is the platform on which her cauldron rests.

“Now I rule the seas!” the gargantuan Ursula booms, the equally large trident glowing golden in her hand. She flicks her wrist and lightning bolts rain down from nowhere, threatening to strike the resisting heroes.

“Sora!” Ariel calls out, deftly maneuvering past a thin stream of electricity. “Remember what Daddy said, we have to get to the cauldron!”

All four charge for the platform, barely ducking and weaving past a flurry of lightning bolts. It’s a treacherous few seconds, but eventually the group reaches the platform, and Sora raises the Keyblade to fire off a spell.

He doesn’t get time though, as a strong current pulls him and the rest of his companions upward. Twisting, Sora manages to get a glimpse of their destination: Ursula’s enormous mouth, ready to bite down and turn them all into hors d’oeurves.

Telary strains against the pull for as long as he can, reaching out with both hands and trying to gather enough concentration for a spell.

“AAAAAAAAAAA!!!” He screams in pure anguish and frustration. “FIIIIIIRE!!!”

Twin balls of flame careen through the air in a twisting dance, reaching the murky depths of the cauldron. As they impact, there’s a huge burst of light.

Ursula screams, her concentration breaking and ending the current pulling the group towards her mouth.

Sora and Ariel swim back for the cauldron, but Azlyn goes the opposite way, her strong tail thrusting her through the water with blistering speed.

“I am sick and tired,” she declares, rearing back her fist to strike, “of things trying to eat me! Nobody takes a bite outta me, ya hear! NOBODY!”

She connects with the giant witch’s chin like a rocket, the trident thief’s head snapping back like a rubber band.

Ariel, Telary, and Sora reach the cauldron, all three laying hands on its rim and pushing, each grunting loudly with the effort of moving the thing. Sora suspects it weighs at least a ton.

“No!” Ursula cries, though the sound is garbled by another flurry of blows from Azlyn’s fists crashing into her face.

The cauldron begins to tip, the liquid inside it sloshing around until, with one last push, the group manages to overturn it. The glittering liquid inside floods the chambers of the leviathan with pure magical power. Each time the wave hits one of Ursula’s shriveled prisoners the witch’s nasty spell disintegrates, restoring them all to their normal merfolk forms.

As for Ursula herself, with the power in the cauldron diminished, she can no longer control her size and begins to shrink back to normal, screaming bloody murder all the while.

After a minute she’s back to regular size, and she looks angry.

“You fools!” she yells, raising the trident once more and giving it another glow. It’s obviously hard on her though, without the linked power of her cauldron. “I still have the trident, and the Heartless, and more than enough power to…”

Azlyn’s grey tail flies up to strike the witch in the face. She cries out and stumbles back, losing her grip on the trident, the glow dying instantly

“Hey Ariel!” Azlyn calls to the mermaid princess, snatching up the trident and rearing back for a toss. “I think this is yours!”

Ariel easily catches the trident and points it at Ursula, the artifact already lighting up with golden power.

“No, please!” the sea witch pleads, down on all eight tentacles with her head bowed. “I can still, I can still take you to other worlds! I can still…”

“Sorry, Ursula,” Ariel quips, a proud grin spreading across her lips. “But I’m afraid that I agree with my father. You’re better off banished!”

A gold beam flies from the trident and slams directly into Ursula, igniting a bright explosion of light. When it fades, the sea witch is gone, never to bother anyone ever again.

Azlyn smiles and shakes her head at the redheaded mermaid princess. “Hardcore, Ariel. You are hardcore.”

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards

Way to go Ariel and Azlyn! Kick that sea witches butt! *cheers loudly* I like the pep talk in this too, because Sora still needs moral support when things get tough. I also didn't know Ursula ate merfolk. Or that Sebastian used to have a brother. It's been awhile since I've watched the movie, but I think I missed that tidbit of information for being too little to know better. lol. Seriously, this was awesome to read. I hope Ariel can make up with King Triton after this!

TelaryCri

Awards

Actually, Kit, I made up the stuff about Sebastian's brother, to add a bit more danger to Ursula. But Ursula eating fish and merfolk actually comes from the Broadway musical version of "The Little Mermaid".

TelaryCri

Awards

Chapter XXIV: Family Tides
King Triton already looks much better by the time the group returns to the palace, Ariel carrying the trident like she was born to hold it. Perhaps she was.

The sea king, against the advice of Sebastian, exits his throne and floats over to envelope his daughter in a hug. Ariel’s other six sisters float behind the throne, their expressions ranging from relieved to perturbed. Obviously some of them take the betrayal of their father more lightly than others.

And there’s one that just stares at Telary and giggles intermittently.

“I’m sorry daddy,” Ariel apologizes as she pulls back, frowning up at her father as she hands him his symbol of authority and power. “I shouldn’t have let Ursula trick me like she did.”

“I’ll say,” mutters one sister to the others.

“It’s partly my fault, Ariel,” Triton admits, looking down at his youngest daughter. “It’s only natural you’d try to follow Ursula. After all, I never let you follow your heart.”

“You were trying to protect me,” Ariel replies with a half-smile.

“That’s no excuse. I should have believed in you more. I certainly shouldn’t have destroyed that crystal trident.”

“What was the big deal about that thing anyway?” Azlyn asks.

“It had the power to reveal the Keyhole,” Triton explains, letting go of Ariel and turning to the trio. “I thought the Keyhole was dangerous, that it shouldn’t be meddled with. But I know now I was wrong. You must seal the Keyhole, Keybearer. Sora.”

“How?” the boy in question asks. “You destroyed the way to reveal it.”

The sea king shakes his head, holding out the trident. “It was not the only way. My trident can also reveal the Keyhole where it hides.”

“Where does it hide?” Telary asks.

“Why, in Ariel’s grotto.”

Azlyn snorts dismissively. “Right under our noses. That figures.”

“Ariel,” the king says, holding the trident out to the redhead, “take my trident and help Sora seal the Keyhole. You’ve proven yourself more than worthy.”

The princess surges forward, planting a huge kiss on her father’s cheek before backing up and taking the trident into her hands.

“Thank you so much, Daddy.”

“Yes, this is a really big help to us,” Sora thanks the sea king as well.

Triton smiles at the boy. “It’s what I should have done from the beginning. Now go, Keybearer, and please don’t be offended when I tell you I hope I don’t see you again any time soon.”

KH-KH-KH

Ensconced in the serenity of her grotto, Ariel holds up the trident as it begins to glow, eventually drifting out of her hand and floating to the empty indentation, its tines lining up perfectly.

There’s a flash, and suddenly a flurry of bubbles begin to fly up from the ground surrounding the resting rock in the chamber’s center.

The bubbles catch the light filtering down from the hole above, creating just enough of a reflection to reveal a shimmering keyhole shape.

Sora raises the Keyblade as light gathers at its tip, shooting out in a pure beam directly into the light. There’s the usual sound of a sharp click, and in an instant the Keyhole disappears, safe forever from the machinations of the Heartless.

“Ta da!” Sora says with a flourish of the Keyblade, feeling the need to give the Keyhole sealing ritual a bit more showmanship due to the large crowd watching.

Flounder just looks at the spot where it was, awestruck, and Sebastian actually needs a minute to sit down after witnessing the spectacle.

“That was amazing, Sora!” Ariel squeals excitedly, shaking the Keybearer’s arm enthusiastically. “I still can’t believe I actually know someone from another world!”

Sora’s grin fades a little as he remembers his “other ocean” lie. Well, Telary’s lie technically, but still…

“I’m sorry I didn’t tell you the truth right away, Ariel,” he apologizes, “but I just couldn’t. There are rules to this Keyblade wielder thing.”

“That’s okay,” the mermaid says with a dismissive wave. “I know you were just trying to do your duty.” She gives the offworlder trio a huge grin. “Besides, if you can travel to other worlds then, well, maybe someday I can too!”

The mermaid swims upwards, turning in a lazy spiral as she drifts ever closer to the hole at the top of the cave, a pure and uncomplicated wanderlust in her eyes.

“I’ll see another world someday, I just know it!”

And maybe, she thinks to herself, it might just be time to explore more of what the surface above Atlantica’s ocean has to offer.

“Well, when da time comes fer ya ta travel to anudder world,” Sebastian moans, “you can just keep me outta it, y’hear?”

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards

This chapter ended up on a much more happier note, which was nice. I agree, Ariel was born to be a potential ruler of Atlantica with the way she wields the trident. And I imagine Ariel will eventually meet prince Eric and get her land legs. lol. And I've never seen the broadway musical of the "Little Mermaid" but I learned something new from it. And that's okay, I liked the addition of Sebastian having a brother, because it did add the sinister element to it. :D So what world is next?

TelaryCri

Awards

Chapter XXV: What's In The Heart, pt. 1
After Telary confirms the readings of a town nearby, the trio lands their ship in a clearing in a bare forest, full of gnarled and dead trees just barely getting by above ground. The moon is already up and shining bright yellow light all around, bringing a kind of gloomy ambience to the place.

Assuring Jiminy that they’ll be careful and return as soon as they can manage, Sora, Azlyn, and Telary disembark from the ship’s ramp. A low fog hovers just over to ground, so heavy that in places none of the teens can even see their feet.

“Nice place,” Azlyn comments sarcastically, surveying the area with a curled lip. “But, at least I still have legs.”

“Do you think we should do something about the Gummi ship?” Sora asks, gesturing at the obnoxiously bright vessel standing out starkly amongst the otherwise dull and nondescript pallet of the forest.

The mage shrugs. “I think I landed far enough away from that town,” he says nonchalantly. “And it’s all locked up, so people can’t do anything but gawk at it really.”

Sora’s frown doesn’t let up. “Sure but it’s just so obvious that it could, I don’t know…”

Telary places a hand on Sora’s shoulder and gives him a sympathetic smile. “Don’t worry, Sora, we won’t let anyone figure out we’re not from this world on this trip, okay? We’ll be extra careful.”

It’s at that point the mage takes a step and trips over a protruding root hidden by the fog underfoot.

They set off for the town, enjoying the quiet stillness of the night, until Azlyn calls for a halt, her ears perking up as she looks around.

“What is that?” she asks, hearing some noise in the near distance. It sounds like voices, and a lot of them.

“It’s singing,” Sora points out as the words become clearer and stronger, obviously being sung by many voices, some more melodious than others.

This is Halloween
This is Halloween!

Suddenly Sora catches sight of a long line of people in various shapes and sizes. And various they are.

A trio of pale-skinned men dressed in formalwear with long black capes glide above the ground at the head of the line, obviously the most well put together and practiced singers in the group. Behind them stumbles a green, oozing monster that looks like it has just emerged from a swamp, sticky wet weeds clinging to its body, then a large brown-furred werewolf dressed only in cut off shorts.

This is Halloween
This is Halloween!

A pair of hunched over women dressed all in black zoom by on broomsticks, their black hats denoting their status as witches. They zoom past the trio and turn a few corkscrews before joining the rest of the monster mash line.

The line continues, singing their merry song about a land where Halloween never ends.

“What is that all about?” Azlyn asks, sounding awed by the variety of creatures at the same time as she’s annoyed by their cheery singing.

“Didn’t you hear?” Sora replies joyously, already heading off after the procession. “Halloween!”

“Can you believe this?” Azlyn groans to her companion, only to find him staring after the parade, his face a rictus of fear and worry. “C’mon, Tel, please don’t tell me you’re afraid of a bunch of singing freakshow performers.”

The mage shakes his head to clear it, which puts it in perfect rhythm with the rest of his shaking body. “Of c-c-course not,” he stammers unconvincingly. “I mean, sure they look spooky, but I’m sure they’re just, y’know, regular folks. N-nothing to get freaked out about…”

"Bark bark!"

Telary doesn’t even jump at the sudden noise, so relieved to finally encounter something normal, something as simple as an excited animal.

Until, that is, he turns and comes face to face with a floating bedsheet about the size of a standard Yorkshire terrier. The “sheet” pulls up into a long snouted face with two large eyes poking over it, a nose the shape of a tiny jack o’lantern flickering with orange light. Noticing that it has the mage’s attention, the ghostly dog yips once more and moves closer.

Telary flees.

“Telary!” Azlyn calls after him, exasperated. She sighs, realizing that her counterpart is too far gone in fear to hear her. “I swear, that boy is afraid of his own shadow.”

Not a moment later, the ghostly dog catches sight of the knight and lets out a low growl, eyes narrowing at the perceived enemy.

Slowly, Azlyn turns to face the undead canine, catching a glimpse of its absolutely murderous countenance. It reminds her of the look Pluto gets in his eyes whenever she arrives in a room.

“Crap!” she exclaims, running off after her companions at top speed.

When she finally catches up to the boys, they’re standing on the outskirts of a bustling town square, surrounded by houses and other buildings of all sizes. They all seem to have hired the same designer, dull colors washing out the square and making a clear contrast between the rest of it and the toxic green liquid of the square’s central fountain, a terrifying statue of a bat-like creature placed in its exact middle. Off to the side, a ten-foot guillotine hovers over the square.

The creeps and creatures are all still singing of the joys of Halloween, of spooking and scaring and all manner of fear. And yet the spirit is not one of maliciousness, but rather something akin to celebration.

It’s our job but we’re not mean
In our town of Halloween!

“This is amazing,” Sora whispers to his friends, so enraptured by the performance of the townspeople that he doesn’t even notice Telary’s fear, or Azlyn’s annoyance.

Azlyn shrugs. “It’s okay,” she admits, noting a few twirling dancers, skeletons all. “The choreography could use some work. Dances are supposed to be interpretive, and it seems like all these guys know how to do is sway along. Nothing visually interesting at all.”

Sora raises a surprised eyebrow at the girl. “Huh? Azlyn, how do you know so much about dance?”

Telary suddenly perks up, grinning at his counterpart.

Azlyn’s expression makes an opposite transformation, hardening into a frown, forehead furrowed. “None of your business.”

Sora shrugs, happy to let this new aspect of his friend remain a mystery until such a time as he has a greater opportunity to weasel it out of her. Contented, he closes his eyes and sways gently in time with the singers.

Until the Heartless arrive.

A loud series of familiar sounds suddenly pop off in the middle of the square, and in an instant six Search Ghost Heartless have appeared, their clawed hands swaying along with the music.

“Sora!” Telary cries out, jolting the Keybearer out of his reverie. “Heartless!”

In an instant, Sora’s pleasure turns to righteous anger. How dare these creatures of Darkness interrupt such a joyous celebration! Is nothing sacred?

In a flash the Keyblade appears, and with a defiant battle cry Sora leaps down into the fray, catching two Search Ghosts with a single swing.

Azlyn moves in next, planting both feet in a Heartless’s chest and knocking it over into the oozy green liquid of the fountain, which unfortunately splashes right back up into her face.

Telary calls down a thunder spell to fry another pair, while Sora finishes off the last creature on his side of the fountain. The threat is vanquished, and the revelers in the square are safe from the Darkness.

Which is why it’s odd when a loud booing arises from the crowd, and not the spooky variety either. The pissed kind.

Confused, the Keybearer turns to face a legion of seriously upset monster people. It’s an image that could haunt him the rest of his life.

“What’s the big idea?” a grotesquely obese zombie woman with mottled grey skin cries out, comforting a similarly round child crying into her patchwork dress.

“You ruined everything!” the slimy swamp creature growls.

The trio all look at each other in utter bewilderment. They’d just saved these people from a terrible fate! Shouldn’t some thanks be in order?

“What the hell are you on about?” Azlyn growls back, stepping up with fists clenched. “We just saved you all from…”

“A perfect rehearsal!” one of the trio of vampire singers interrupts, grabbing a rotten tomato from the folds of his cloak and hurling it at the knight, who manages the block it with her shield.

From there the crowd does as crowds are wont to do, hurling all manner of things at the trio; everything from half-rotted pumpkins to still blinking eyeballs.

Telary and Sora cower behind Azlyn’s shield, doing their best to avoid being pelted.

“Not exactly the reception I expected,” Telary sighs, catching an egg in the forehead. Part of the yellow yolk oozes down his face.

STOP!!!”

The voice seems to come from all around the square at once, loud and clear and quite perturbed. The townsfolk stop their barrage immediately, as if hypnotized.

In the silence left behind, the fountain behind the trio begins to bubble and churn, sending more tiny droplets of green ooze out of the fountain. All three turn to face the square’s central feature.

Suddenly, a white skull emerges from the ooze, its empty eye sockets managing to look soulful and concerned. It’s followed up by a tall, thin body clad in a black and white pinstripe suit. From the cuffs of the suit’s sleeves emerge two bony, four fingered hands, crossed over each other just under a bowtie in the shape of a vampire bat.

Sora waits with bated breath as the skeleton man finishes his rise, uncrossing his arms from his chest and placing them on his almost nonexistent hips.

“What is the meaning of this?” he demands, sounding more exasperated than angry. “I thought we were having a great rehearsal, fellows. So, what happened?”

“Jack! Jack!” A tiny, squat man with a face as white as a sheet, dressed in an ill-fitting suit and wearing a long thin top hat atop his head, rushes out in a panic. Words across the white slash on his chest declare him “MAYOR”. “Things were going amazingly well, at least I think so if you think they were, until the new ghosts made their entrance and these strange people just went berserk, attacking them and ruining everything!”

“Ruined!” Azlyn exclaims, as if this is the most implausible thing she’s ever heard.

“The Heartless were attacking!” Sora attempts to explain.

“Heartless, you say?” the bony man in the fountain, Jack apparently, says, sounding intrigued. One hand scratches his chin bone. “Fascinating! Finally a name to go along with the faces! And such a wonderfully scary one too! I can just see the banners now: Jack Skellington, Pumpkin King, presents ‘A Heartless Halloween’! Oh, it’ll be my best ever!”

“But the Heartless are dangerous!” Sora protests firmly, getting more worked up than usual in response to Mr. Skellington’s thick-headedness.

The Pumpkin King scoffs. “Nonsense. The only danger these Heartless pose is not being able to dance spookily enough by Halloween!”

Azlyn has had about as much of this as she can take. “Oh, would you just forget about Halloween?”

Every single creature, big and small, lets out their most horrified gasp at the sound of the knight’s harsh words, some actually recoiling in disgust. The mayor goes so far as to faint dead away, overwhelmed by the sheer horror of it all.

“That might not have been the best move,” Telary whispers to his counterpart out of the corner of his mouth.

Jack Skellington steps out of the fountain and onto the grey cobbles of the square, shaking his head sadly. “I think you’ll find, my dear, that you’ll be hard pressed to get anyone to forget about Halloween in…
Halloween Town!”
The skeleton’s words echo around the square. He takes a step back and fingers his chin once more, looking over the trio appraisingly.

“You know what I think might help you three really get into the spirit of Halloween?” he says, with an air of someone making a monumental discovery. “Your own Halloween costumes! And I know just the man to make them for you! Come along, to Dr. Finkelstein’s!”

A bony finger points up at a large metal orb looming over the square, sitting atop a large grey tower. A sudden bolt of lightning flashes down from the otherwise clear sky.

“Sure!” Sora exclaims, excited about the prospect of looking just as spooky as the rest of Halloween Town’s denizens. Telary looks nervous, and Azlyn rolls her eyes.

“Fear not, good citizens!” Jack calls out to the townsfolk, who still for the most part do not look happy. “I realize this rehearsal’s disruption puts us a bit behind schedule, but I assure you that the problem is being handled. In the meantime, perhaps it would be best for you all to return to your homes and practice your individual parts. We’ll reconvene as soon as possible, I promise.”

Still looking annoyed, the townsfolk filter out of the square, some heading straight into one of the houses that ring the area, and other moving off to their domiciles in other areas of town. Most are muttering to themselves or others about the inconvenience these interlopers have caused.

“Masterfully handled, Jack, simply wonderful!” the mayor gushes, rushing up to the group now wearing an orange face with a bright smile. “No one breaks up a potential mob action like Jack Skellington, I always say!”

“It was nothing, Mayor,” Jack replies with a modest wave of his bony hand.

“Well, I suppose I should go see to the decorations committee,” the elected official says, scampering off and revealing that his upset face still stares out from the back of his head, frozen. “They’ll have to meet with your approval first, of course, but…”

Jack gestures broadly for the offworlder trio to follow him, heading for a gate in the western part of the square.

“Worse than Wonderland,” Azlyn mutters under her breath, careful to make sure their guide can’t hear. “At least there nobody pelted me with rotten food.”

“And there weren’t any monsters,” Telary agrees, sounding more miserable than angry.

“C’mon, guys, relax,” Sora encourages, fixing his friends with one of his widest, brightest smiles. “You saw how much fun those guys were! When they weren’t, y’know, throwing stuff at us. Besides, you heard the skeleton guy, we’re gonna get costumes. I’m sure when we do, we’ll be just as scary as any of those guys!”

Jack throws open the metal door into the lab with great aplomb, waving his arm grandly. The actual lab, Sora finds as he steps inside, isn’t quite worthy of the majestic introduction. It’s little more than a large ovular chamber surrounded by metal walls. A bookcase stands against one wall, and directly opposite is a large granite slab. A seemingly dormant Search Ghost lays on it, attached by wires to two large orbs above either side of the slab, metallic points sticking out of them.

And, sitting in a wheelchair at a large oak desk topped by various test tubes, beakers, and one very large book, is a man with an enormously bulbous head covered in wrinkly grey skin. Sora swears he can see a hinge welded into the back of the cranium. Dr. Finkelstein, he presumes.

“Ah, there you are Jack,” the man says in a thin, scratchy voice. With one black gloved hand he fiddles with a joystick set into the right arm of his chair, spinning himself around to face the group. His mouth protrudes out like an anteater’s snout, and black goggles cover his eyes. He’s wearing a grey, buttoned up lab coat and white pants. There are definitely nuts or bolts of some kind in the front of his head. He smiles, a grotesque sight across his misshapen mouth. “So, how did it go, hm? Did my guidance system work as promised?”

Jack frowns and gives a deep sigh. Taking his answer from that, the doctor makes a scoffing noise and slams his fist down on the arm of his chair.

“Confounded things!” he rages, the frown he’s wearing even scarier than the earlier smile. “No matter what I try they all just… Aargh!”

“Dr. Finkelstein, before we talk about the creatures, which you’ll be happy to know I’ve learned are called Heartless…”

Finkelstein gives an approving nod and grin.

“I’d like to introduce you to our newest Halloween Town visitors!” The Pumpkin King steps aside and waves a thumb at the trio. “These are, um… Excuse me, fellows, but what were your names again?”

“I’m Sora,” Sora answers, stepping up and nodding. “And these are my friends Azlyn and Telary. We’re, um, visiting town for, uh, a vacation. Yeah.”

“Anyway,” Jack continues, “as you can see, their… unique sense of fashion seems to be causing them a bit of disconnect with the spirit of the Halloween festival. I thought if perhaps they had more, er, traditional dress, it might help them integrate.”

The doctor nods. “So it’s costumes they want, eh? Yes, I can see how their odd clothes might attract unwanted attention from townsfolk.” Maneuvering the joystick, Finkelstein heads over to the bookcase. Reaching up he grabs a yellow volume and pulls it out, releasing a mechanism that cause the bookcase to slide against the wall, revealing three small, circular chambers. “Climb in, young ones. I’ve not got all day, you know.”

“These are gonna give us our costumes?” Sora asks excitedly. The doctor gives an affirming nod, and the Keybearer rushes into his chamber with a huge smile across his face. Once he’s inside, black doors slam shut, trapping him.

Azlyn rolls her eyes and marches to the next chamber with grim exasperation. Telary doesn’t want to be left out, so he reluctantly marches himself into the remaining “pod”.

For a few long seconds mechanisms inside the chambers whir and click, then the doors open once again, releasing three large steam clouds into the lab. The trio step out more or less simultaneously.

Telary looks over his new form with trepidation. He sees bandages all over his body, ugly stained things that nearly make him hurl. He’s unsure of how exactly he would do that, however, considering a large part of his stomach is left unwrapped, revealing a hole. Closing his eyes, he waves his hand around inside for a second.

Azlyn idly notes that a few tufts of red hair stick out of the bandages wrapped around Telary’s head, then looks down to inspect herself. She’s wearing a white, double-breasted lab coat near identical to that of Dr. Finkelstein, and her skirt has become wiry black material. Grey and black striped socks lead down into black boots. Something else feels odd, as well. She catches a glimpse of herself in a mirror, and notes that her usual blonde pixie cut has been replaced by large black column of hair with a white stripe running down the side.

Sora moves to the mirror next, inspecting his black jacket over a dark grey shirt. His shorts are an exact match color wise to the jacket, and extend just as far down his legs as his normal bottoms. The most notable feature on the Keybearer’s face is a large orange jack o’lantern mask covering his right eye, though doing nothing to impede his vision. Opening his mouth, Sora inspects with clawed, white gloved hands and finds sharp fangs in place of his canines. He smiles widely, impressed with the transformation. Impressed with all three transformations, actually.

“Oh my, don’t you three look splendid!” Jack gushes, dancing around the trio with a proud grin across his skull. “You’ve done wonderful work, doctor, simply amazing!”

“Yes, sir, I completely agree with Mr. Skellington,” Telary chimes in, still inspecting himself, his look of fearful apprehension not gone, but minimized. “You have some wonderful technology here.” The other two offworlders nod along.

“Now if only I could be as successful with the Heartless!” Finkelstein rages, wheeling up to the slab. So far, the Heartless on it hasn’t moved, or given any sign at all that it is aware of what is happening around it. “I thought the guidance system I cooked up would do the trick, but Jack here insists…”

“They move perfectly in time with my devised choreography,” Jack explains, frowning. “But there’s something about them that just doesn’t feel right. Like there could be more.”

“Maybe the Heartless just aren’t putting their hearts into their dancing!” Azlyn jokes, igniting a fit of giggles in her friends.

“Eureka!” Jack exclaims, leaping upon the slab and gesturing grandly. “That’s it exactly! The Heartless need a heart!”

“Huh?” Azlyn gasps, her laughter interrupted by bewilderment. "I... I was kidding..."

“A heart for the Heartless…” Sora says, looking pensive but intrigued.

“Might it be possible to add a heart to your guidance system device, Doctor?” Jack asks the wheelchair bound madman.

He shrugs. “I don’t see why not,” he replies, wheeling back to the bookcase. He pulls a green book out of the shelf this time, and the case moves once more, revealing a long storage space filled with various machines and ingredients. “A heart is a simple thing, really. I could have it ready in five minutes!” He stops and reaches down, grabbing a container from a low shelf. Its shape reminds Sora of discussions of biological hearts in school. He also notes the large keyhole in its middle.

Dr. Finkelstein grabs a few other chests and brings them out to pile on the end of the slab. He frowns at the container.

“It’s locked!” he declares frustratedly. “It’s been ages since I got this thing, I’ll never find the key before Halloween!” Behind the doctor, Jack hangs his head sadly.

Sora, however, smiles.

Azlyn gives him a withering glare. “Oh no, I know that look!” She blocks his path to Jack and the doctor, hands on hips. “There is no way you can go along with this crazy scheme! I’m putting my foot down!” Telary tentatively moves to stand by her.

“Look, Azlyn,” Sora says, deploying the puppy eyes he’s famous for around Destiny Islands, “if this experiment works, it could mean the end of the Heartless forever! I mean, if all the Heartless have hearts, why would they want to go around stealing them from other people?”

Telary thinks about that and moves around to stand at Sora’s side, shrugging off the stink eye it earns him from Azlyn. “Sora could be right, Azlyn.”

The knight returns her disapproving gaze to the Keyblade wielder. “You just want to see them dance, don’t you?”

Sora gives her a sheepish grin, which is harder than it seems to pull off with pointed fangs in your mouth. “Well, I guess so. Don’t pretend you don’t, though!”

Azlyn shakes her head violently. “What I’d like to see is all of them eliminated from the universe!” Sora tries the eyes again, and this time she can’t help but get drawn in. She sighs as deeply as she ever has. “Okay, okay.”

Sora jumps a bit in happiness, his quivering lip turning into a grin instantaneously. He moves past her and towards the slab. Azlyn watches him go with a frown.

“Look Az,” Telary says, stepping up next to his best friend and watching Jack do a backflip as Sora promises his assistance, “I realize this is risky too, but the potential benefits are… well, massive!”

She shrugs. “Well I’ll tell you right now, I reserve the right to say ‘I told you so’ as many times as I want if this goes badly, okay?”

Telary smiles and gives her an affirmative nod.

At the slab, Sora raises the Keyblade to point at the container’s keyhole, and at his command a beam of light shoots into it and unlocks it with a click.

“Splendid!” Jack declares, flipping the top of the heart container open. “You certainly are handy to have around, Sora my boy! How would you like to be in this year’s festival?”

Sora’s eyes light up. “Oh my gosh, I’d love to!” Azlyn huffs and rolls her eyes, but he ignores her.

“And now for ingredients!” Dr. Finkelstein says, opening the first chest and drawing out a green frog, it belly swollen with air and pulsing rhythmically. “Pulse!” He reaches in again and produces a large black spider, which nearly sends Telary running out of the lab. “Fear!” He drops the spider and frog into the heart, then goes back for a third ingredient: two snakes, one green and one orange, eating each other’s tail. “Hope and Despair!” The snakes go into the container, and Finkelstein closes it.

“That’s it?” Telary says, looking skeptically at the new “heart”. “Can you really make something so complex out of so few things?”

The doctor scoffs, shaking his head like it’s the most ridiculous thing he’s heard. “Complex? A heart? Come now, dear boy, surely you can’t think a thing such as that to be anything intricate. No, no, a heart is a simple thing, as we’ll soon see.”

Sora frowns. That doesn’t seem right to him, the thought of a heart as something “simple”. Then again, he’s certainly no doctor, so what does he know, really?

Jack helps Finkelstein finish setting up, attaching two thick wires to the heart container with large clamps, then placing electrodes against the prone Heartless’s chest. The doctor positions himself by a huge switch up against the wall.

“Goggles everyone!” the wheelchair bound scientist commands, gesturing to several pairs atop his research table. The trio all put them on, then look up at Jack, who makes no move towards the safety equipment.

“No eyeballs,” he explains casually, gesturing to his empty sockets. The trio all nod understandingly.

“Here we go!” Doctor Finkelstein shouts, and with a bone-chilling laugh appropriate for someone in his line of work, throws down the switch.

Immediately volts of electricity begin traveling along the wire from heart to Heartless, sending the Search Ghost into wild convulsions. After a few seconds, it begins to rise, back straight and arms sticking out. It even turns its head, its dangling eye swaying as it moves. It looks directly at Sora.

Satisfied, Finkelstein flips the switch again, and the current dies instantly. As does the Heartless, which flops back down to the slab, motionless.

“NOOOOOOO!!!!” Finkelstein cries in pure anguish. After a moment, Jack joins him.

Azlyn grunts angrily and covers her ears. “Oh, would you two just relax? Face it, your experiment was a failure, and that things is as dead as…”

In a single fluid motion, the Heartless rises and lunges for the Pumpkin King, clawed hands reaching out to tear out the skeleton’s heart.

Jack cries out and stumbles back, but luckily Sora’s response to people in danger is near automatic at this point, and the heroic young mean leaps up on the slab and stabs the Keyblade through the Search Ghost’s chest. It manages to swivel its head one-eighty degrees to look at its destroyer before fading away.

“Good show!” Jack says as he rises from the floor, straightening his bowtie casually.

“Huh?” Sora asks.

“Excuse me?” Telary says.

Azlyn is too angry for words.

“Well, that may not have been dancing like I hoped,” Jack admits, grinning. “But it was certainly scary, wasn’t it?”

“No brain,” Azlyn mutters to herself, shaking her head in abject frustration. “There is no freaking brain in that skull, I swear.” She steps up to the skeleton and pokes him in the chest hard enough to send him back a step. “You almost died, moron!”

Jack shrugs. “Well, you can’t make an omelet without…”

“Memory!” Finkelstein declares, as if the mere word is some genius idea. He smiles triumphantly.

“Well, I suppose that’s true,” Jack admits with a shrug. “But I was actually going to say ‘breaking eggs’, so…”

“No, you fool!” the doctor interrupts. “We need Memory to make the heart work properly. It’s the missing ingredient that will pull this whole thing together! I’ll bet Sally has some. Now, where is that girl? I go to all the trouble of creating her, and she can’t even stick around the lab. Now, hm, the last time I saw her was…”

The doctor takes a moment to think, flipping open the top portion of his head and actually scratching at the pinkish grey matter of his brain! Telary has to look away, but Sora and Azlyn smile at each other like it’s the coolest thing they’ve ever seen.

“Don’t worry, Doctor!” Jack assures the old man, closing his head in a friendly manner. “We’ll find Sally and your ingredient for you.” He turns to look at Sora. “If you wish to come, of course!”

“Sure!” Sora agrees, and Azlyn wonders when it was exactly he became spokesman for the group.

Just then the lab’s door slams open, revealing the once-again white-faced Mayor, wringing his hands nervously. His eyes are red from crying.

“Oh, Jack, it’s horrible!” he says to the Pumpkin King, hanging his head and blowing into a tissue made of spider webs. “It’s… It’s just so…”

“What is it Mayor?” Jack asks.

The mayor looks up, wiping his eyes. “The Heartless! All of the sudden they started attacking people, chasing them all about the square trying to hurt them… It’s chaos!”

“I told you so,” Azlyn whispers cockily to her counterpart.

Everyone else reacts with great concern. Well, almost everyone.

“I needed a new test subject anyway,” Dr. Finkelstein says with a nonchalant shrug.

“I’ll handle this, Mayor,” Jack assures the little two-faced man.

“We’ll help,” Sora pledges. The quartet race out of the lab for the town square.
I think I love writing Jack Skellington almost as much as I do Genie. They're just fun characters in my opinion!

Last edited:

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards

Jack Skellington is certainly in character. I'm not sure who'd be my favorite more, Genie or Jack? Probably Genie. lol. At least Jack didn't blow a casket, when SAT interrupted the rehearsal or stopped the heartless from doing anything unseemly. On the other hand, it was pretty funny when Azlyn told them to forget Halloween. I forget how child like Sora can be at times. I look forward to seeing the next chapter. Will they be going to Christmas town soon?

TelaryCri

Awards

Chapter XXV: What's In The Heart, pt. 2
When they arrive, the scene is utter chaos. Search Ghosts and Shadows chase the citizens through the streets, and large purple winged Heartless terrorize them from above with blue orbs of dark energy.

“I told you so!” Azlyn repeats to Telary, even as she and Sora leap into the square to protect the denizens of Halloween Town.

Sora slashes through a pair of Shadows menacing a werewolf, while Azlyn slices open the belly of a Search Ghost. Telary chases after a trio of Search Ghosts harassing the vampire trio, firing off a fire spell that fries them before they can do much damage.

Jack uses his height to his advantage, leaping up and slapping down two flying Gargoyles in quick succession, before rending them asunder with his sharp, bony claws.

Four new Heartless arrive, resembling Telary’s bandaged zombie form, swinging their long arms as they advance. Azlyn notices one graze the wing of a tiny bat child, and her instincts take over, hurling her shield hard enough to separate head from shoulders.

Sora and Jack slash through the other three, and Telary uses a gravity spell to crush a few more closing in on a little boy wearing a devil mask. In no time, the square is Heartless free.

“What was that?” asks one witch to the other. “I thought the Heartless were here to dance, not hurt us!”

“Relax, citizens!” Jack calls out, cupping his hands together to amplify his volume. “This is only a temporary glitch in mine and the doctor’s experiments, I assure you! Dr. Finkelstein and I are at this very moment preparing an artificial heart that will be used to fully control the Heartless. As soon as we figure out some of the, uh, more technical difficulties, things will return to normal, I promise!”

This seems good enough for the citizenry, who all disperse to go back to their own lives as soon as the Pumpkin King has finished speaking.

Except three little children, huddling by a bathtub with four moving legs.

“Did you hear that?” the tubbiest boy, dressed in blue and wearing a skull mask, says to his cohorts.

“A heart!” the devil boy Telary had saved from Heartless moments ago chimes in. “A heart to control the Heartless. What should we do?”

The third member of the trio, the only girl, scoffs loudly at her partners’ stupidity. “Isn’t it obvious?” The boys stare back into her purple witch’s mask that perfectly complements her witch costume obliviously. “Tell Oogie Boogie!”

Giggling madly, the trio hop into the bathtub and urge it forward with all speed.

“Vlad, have you seen Sally anywhere, by chance?” Jack asks one of the vampire trio, the shortest.

“I zink she vas in ze graveyard,” he answers in an odd accent. “Lazt I heard, anyvay.”

“G-g-graveyard?” Telary asks fearfully.

Jack nods, smiling impishly. “And it will be so lovely in this moonlight! Come along, friends!”

The group follows the Pumpkin King into an area near the outskirts of town, full of tombstones decorated in all manner of shapes and sizes. A small one near the entrance even looks like a doghouse, the name ZERO written on a small sign in the ground beside it.

Out of that grave rises the ghost dog that had so scared Azlyn and Telary earlier, barking and yipping happily at the sight of Jack. Zero floats around his master, sniffing joyously.

“Hey there, Zero!” Jack greets the dog as it licks his bony face. It would be sweet, Telary thinks, if it wasn’t such a disturbing image. “Have you seen Sally, boy? We could really use her help.”

Zero yips and flashes through the air, stopping to hover over a large granite slab with BURTON carved across its face. He barks loudly, and in a moment a girl emerges from behind it. Every part of her looks patchwork, haphazardly sewn together, from the stitches in her face to the messily patterned dress she wears. In her hands she clutches a few dead flowers.

“Oh, hello Jack!” she greets the Pumpkin King, stepping to him and looking up at him with soulful blue eyes. After a moment though, their brightness dims. “I heard those dreadful Heartless attacking, so I hid. Oh Jack, I fear they may be too scary even for one of your festivals!”

Jack shrugs off the accusation. “I assure you Sally, this is just a temporary glitch.” He winks at her. “And we could solve it faster if you’d give us your Memory ingredient. You know, the one Dr. Finkelstein gave to you…?”

“You mean, this?” Sally holds up the deceased bouquet in her hand. Jack reaches out for it, but she pulls back, a worried look on her patchwork face. “I’m not sure about this, Jack. There’s still time until Halloween! Why, with your brilliant mind, I know you could…”

“Trust me, Sally,” Jack says as reassuringly as he can. He places his hands on her shoulders and looks her dead in the eye. “This heart is going to work like nothing you’ve ever seen before! The trouble will pass soon enough, you’ll see.”

The patchwork girl nods and hands over her flowers, still frowning intently. Jack accepts them gratefully and lopes off on his long legs, headed out of the cemetery. “Thank you!” he calls over his shoulder.

Sally turns to Sora, Azlyn, and Telary, looking at the trio pleadingly. “You must convince Jack not to go through with this Heartless Halloween idea! I’ve had a… a very bad feeling that this will all end terribly if you don’t!”

“You and me both, sister,” Azlyn agrees.

“At least keep an eye on him, won’t you?” the girl asks, looking at Sora hopefully.

The Keybearer nods, resolute. “You have my word, Sally. Nobody will hurt Jack while I’m around.”

“I hope that girl doesn’t think I’m going to share my ‘I told you so’-ing with her,” Azlyn comments as the trio leave the graveyard, following Jack Skellington from a distance.

“Could she be right, though?” Sora asks, sounding concerned. “I mean, I was all for this at first, but ever since the Heartless started attacking… I don’t know guys. Jack seems pretty eager to control the Darkness of the Heartless. Do you think we’ll have to take him down?”

Telary looks worried, but Azlyn just shrugs it off.

“Well hey,” she says as flippantly as possible, though it doesn’t quite lighten the mood, “at least it’s just this Jack clown. I mean, it could be much worse…”

KH-KH-KH

Far away from Halloween Town, in a place even those whose existence celebrates fear dare to tread, the trio of children from the town square arrive in a dark room underneath a terrifying mansion.

They all huddle inside their tub, clinging to each other as they shake in fear at the sight before them.

“Well, well, well, what have we here?” Oogie Boogie singsongs, skipping around his private entertainment room flapping his burlap arms. “A heart, you say? A heart that can control the Heartless! Well Lock, Shock, dearest Barrel, this is the best news I’ve heard all day! In years even!”

“W-w-we thought you’d like this, Mr. Oogie,” Lock, the devil child, stammers nervously, more relieved than pleased to have his boss’s praise.

“I was the one who heard about it first!” chimes in pudgy Barrel, before being pulled down and conked in the head by the purple clad witch Shock.

“That sad sucker Jack has just made himself the ultimate mistake, boys and girls!” Oogie declares, stopping in his revelry and turning to loom over his minions. “Now I got a mission for y’all! Up for it?’

“Yes sir!” all three children chime in in unison.

“I want you three to get into that Dr. Frickfrackstein’s lab and nab that heart, then bring it back to me!”

“Whatever you say, Mr. Oogie!”

As the children depart in their tub, Oogie reclines back on his self-made throne, contemplating his future.

“Why, with that heart my control of the Heartless will surpass even Maleficent!” He collapses into a fit of giggles thinking about what he’ll do to that arrogant witch once the Heartless are his alone to command. “Yessir, when the Heartless are under my command, there’ll be no more bandying about with princesses and silly Keyholes, no way! Just the greatest show in the universe, starring me, Oogie Boogie! I can just feel the adoration now, oh yes I can. ‘Cause I’m the Oogie Boogie man!”

His maniacal laugh once again echoes in his chamber of death.

KH-KH-KH

It takes some more time to gather a few more pieces Dr. Finkelstein insists are necessary for the heart: a jack-in-the-box for Surprise, comedy and tragedy masks for Joy and Sadness, and a burning coal for Rage. Throwing those in with the Forget-Me-Nots’ Memory and adding another Heartless for testing meant that they could begin their experiment anew.

Finkelstein looks over the assembled heart in his lap like a proud papa gazing on his newborn. It feels a bit creepy to Azlyn, and she says as much.

“I’m sure this experiment will work, Doctor,” Jack assures the scientist with a skeletal grin.

“Or create a new batch of Super-Heartless,” Azlyn mutters to Sora, who also looks concerned with this new attempt.

“Nonsense!” the Doctor rages, having apparently heard the comment. “Why, this may be my safest experiment yet! I even tied down the subject!” The Heartless is indeed restrained with thick leather straps. Finkelstein begins wheeling over to the slab, artificial heart in his lap. “Every possibility has been prepared for!”

Just then, out from the shadows darts Barrel. The tubby boy rams directly into the wheel of Finkelstein’s chair, sending the old mad scientist flopping to the ground and the heart flying through the air.

It comes down into the hands of Lock, who stands on the rim of the moving bathtub with Shock beside him. Giggling, Barrel slides to the door and jumps in too.

“Later, losers!” Shock mocks with a high pitched giggle, raising a tiny fist in the air. She hurls it downward and throws down a fine purple powder that explodes into concealing mist upon contact with the lab floor.

The mist fills the room, choking the occupants and erupting coughing fits all about the laboratory. When it finally clears, the troublemakers are gone.

“Confounded hooligans!” Finkelstein rages, shaking his fist in the air with impotent rage. “When I get my hands on them they’ll be sorry they took my heart. That’s a promise!”

Jack and Sora rise and help the scientist into his wheelchair, which Telary returns to an upright position. “We’ll catch them, Doctor, don’t worry,” the Pumpkin King says assuringly. “Come along, fellows!”

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards

You've got to admire Sally for caring a lot about Jack, because she sure does put up with him and his ideas an awfully lot. I do hope dearest Jack comes back to his senses sooner or later, and realizes he doesn't need the heartless for Halloween. Of course, those darn troublemakers working for Oogie Boogie should get their ears pinched for being so reckless and stealing the heart in the first place. SAT sure do got their hands full, but I'm happy they've come to their senses with this idea. :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back