It has been almost two weeks since Kingdom Hearts fans around the world got to experience Kingdom Hearts III in its entirety for the first time. With almost 7 years since the last main title release, and two years since the last Kingdom Hearts game, fans have been eager to experience the end of the Dark Seeker Saga and witness Sora clash with Master Xehanort as the battle between light and darkness ensures.
Around the world, the reception for Kingdom Hearts III has been postively mind-blowing. It was previously reported that Square Enix and Disney have shipped more than 5 million editions of the game worldwide, including both physical and edition editions, making it the fastest selling Kingdom Hearts game in the entire series. Square Enix also reported that these numbers bring the total series sales to over 30 million worldwide!
In Australia and New Zealand, Kingdom Hearts III topped the charts in both boxed retail and digital download (via IGEA) from January 28th - February 3rd 2019. In the United States, Kingdom Hearts III was the number one most purchased game from the PlayStation store, beating out Resident Evil 2.
Gamesindustry.biz reports that Kingdom Hearts III conquered the UK charts, with sales being more than double of Kingdom Hearts II in that region. 82% of sales in the UK were attributed to the PlayStation 4, with the remaining 18% being on Xbox One. Digital downloads were not included in their report. Kingdom Hearts III was also at the top of the charts in Europe, the Middle East, Asia, and Africa. PlayStation Europe reports that Kingdom Hearts III was the sixth best-selling PlayStation 4 game on the PlayStation 4 after two days on the charts.
And in Japan, first week shipments of Kingdom Hearts III were around 870,000 units (via @GameDataLibrary).
To celebrate the launch, KINGDOM HEARTS III executive producer, Shinji Hashimoto shared a message for fans:
Sora and his friends have grown a tremendous amount since his story first began in Kingdom Hearts. As we head into the launch of Kingdom Hearts III, he’s become an incredibly strong and bright character supported by his trusty companions, Donald and Goofy, and his many friends he’s made over the course of the series. Sora’s journey is really a tale of the power of friendship, and how friends can come together to overcome hardship, support each other through difficult times and spread positivity within a dark world.
As you get started in Kingdom Hearts III you’ll be able to adventure through an array of new worlds and make new friends from iconic Walt Disney Animation Studios films like Frozen and Pixar Animation Studios films including Toy Story, Monsters, Inc. and more. You’ll also be able to enjoy a variety of new and exciting features like the Attractions which build on the series iconic gameplay. Personally, I hope that fans will enjoy the updated Gummiship gameplay — I’m having a blast building new ships!
It has been an honor to be a part of this series from the beginning. To think that it all started from a conversation in an elevator when Square Enix Japan was in the same building as Disney! I have so many fond memories surrounding Kingdom Hearts, from working on the games to meeting fans around the world at events. As I mentioned earlier, Kingdom Hearts has always been about the power of friendship, and the passion and positivity of the series’ fans demonstrates that it is a message they have taken to heart. From the bottom of my heart, thank you for your support and for following along on Sora’s incredible journey. We hope you enjoy what we’ve created for you!
In closing, I’d like to leave you with my favorite quote: “My friends are my power!”
Executive Producer, Shinji Hashimoto
Kingdom Hearts III is available now on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One both digitally and physically. This newest entry in the long-running Kingdom Hearts series takes Sora to new and familiar Disney / Pixar worlds as the battle between light and darkness draws near. Experience the thrill of fast-paced combat with refreshed gameplay mechanics such as situational commands which can turn the tide of battle. Summon old Disney friends to join you in battle, with Stitch, Simba and more lending a hand.