• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kingdom Hearts II Review *no spoilers*

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mason Stark

TICK TOCK, KID!
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Wow. This reminds me of the KH review on RPGFan... It got a 7.something. >__>;; Atleast it was long. This one just sucked. Dx

And, no! They're not Disney wallpapers! They're not even wallpapers! They're DETAILED backgrounds! The only wallpaper in the whole KH series is the one in Wonderland in the Courtyard... It looked like a box in first person. :l

violent_anger

Think smaller, more legs.
Blowing up The storm's around. In a silence Have a
P.S.: You are hypocritical, greedy, violent, malevolent, vengeful,
cowardly, deadly, mendacious, meretricious, loathsome, despicable,
belligerent, opportunistic, barratrous, contemptible, criminal,
fascistic, bigoted, racist, sexist, avaricious, tasteless, idiotic,
brain-damaged, imbecilic, insane, arrogant, deceitful, demented, lame,
self-righteous, byzantine, conspiratorial, satanic, fraudulent,
libelous, bilious, splenetic, spastic, ignorant, clueless, EDLINoid,
illegitimate, harmful, destructive, dumb, evasive, double-talking,
devious, revisionist, narrow, manipulative, paternalistic,
fundamentalist, dogmatic, idolatrous, unethical, cultic, diseased,
suppressive, controlling, restrictive, malignant, deceptive, dim,
crazy, weird, dyspeptic, stifling, uncaring, plantigrade, grim,
unsympathetic, jargon-spouting, censorious, secretive, aggressive,
mind-numbing, arassive, poisonous, flagrant, self-destructive,
abusive, socially-retarded, puerile, and Generally Not Good.

Spooky Bahamut

In A Little Shack Trying To Figure Out How To Trig
Website
www.freewebs.com
Originally Posted by Next Generation
It just really irritates me when a game like this comes out and everyone congratulates everyone else about it. "Congratulations for making this game!" "Congratulations for asking me that!" "Congratulations for selling the game!" "Congratulations for buying it!" "Congratulations for all the stuff you crammed in there! You must really love the fans!"

"Congratulations for liking the game!" When is someone going to congratulate me for not liking the game, huh? Am I out of the club?

I tried to play Kingdom Hearts II, and could only get so far before my handicap (that being the fact that I didn't love the game before I put it in my PlayStation2) got the better of me, and I had to turn it off to play Burnout Revenge some more.

Problems

There are problems with the game. I honestly didn't like it because it was glued together poorly. I'd like to believe that any game, regardless of what kinds of characters it stars, can be a good game as long as it's put together right.

You can be a cube jumping on spheres, and as long as it plays well, it'd still be interesting. What Kingdom Hearts indicates to me is the sacrifice of "design" and "execution" in the name of "business." That, and the consumers seem morbidly all-too-eager to settle. They don't mind that Kingdom Hearts' environments are no more than big boxes with Disney wallpaper, or that the characters' dialogue mostly consists of people introducing themselves, people being dumbstruck that other people say they are who they say they are, and kids moping about how childhood will never last forever.

Do kids, really, worry about such things? Isn't the fact that kids don't worry about losing their youth what makes kids, you know, kids? It would be interesting if the characters were more over-the-top, if the story were more of an absurdist morality play starring infants who whine about their pension plans. It's not, though; it's teenagers with vaguely mid-life angst.

Disney characters are known to whine every now and again -- Ariel, The Little Mermaid, for example, wants to be a human to impress the charming prince -- though I do believe their wishes are granted and/or their lessons are learned in the space of 80-something free-spirited minutes. Kingdom Hearts II stretches on for fifty hours, and the winding-down phase is so full of bizarre turns and depressing crashes and burns that you wonder if these people really know what they're doing. It's not teaching anyone anything; it's not celebrating anything except the raw fact that some people have lots of money, and they can use it to buy a lot more money.

So yes, in conclusion: schlock. (Note that schlock is not to be confused with dreck.)

Score: 2.5/10

Dude, a little harsh...How could you say Burnout Revenge was better you bastardio!

Sympathy

Um..I checked on Next-Gen.biz..and this is just an 'opinion' article.

It really doesn't matter what this person thinks. He's entitled to it one way or the other. However, I guess it's be okay if you sent an e-mail to him stating the problem, although, I doubt you'll be given a reply from the editor.

And what's this about my signature? Takushi Rena has the same image in her sig, and is a lot clearer, but my image is going to be taken down? Eh..riiiiiiight.

Sympathy

It's not a spoiler. It's an image from the opening of the movie, but it doesn't necessarily spoil anything for you.

I don't think anyone would've noticed it, either. Thanks for mentioning it, Violent Anger! >O

Sympathy

Uh..nope..it isn't. It's an actual article under Next-Gen.biz's opinion section.

I wonder if there's any truth in his review. I haven't read too many reviews on the game, so I can't say for sure..

_Odin_

Bronze Member
Website
datingsidorsingel.com
did any of you guys also see the dirge of cerberus: final fantasy VII review? here it is:

Famitsu gives Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII, the mediocre shooting game starring a big, rat's-nest-haired man from Final Fantasy VII, a score of 7 7 7 7. Going by what we have already established as the "Four-Point Famitsu Scale" (where 7s are 1s and 10s are 4s), this game scores a total of four points. Last week, if you remember, I said I was rather enjoying the game. I guess I was enjoying it because it looked very pretty.

The interesting part of the game (which consisted of my constantly thinking, "Yeah, this looks about to get interesting") ended around hour four, and I just became disenchanted with it all. For one thing, Vincent Valentine, the enigmatic hero, seldom speaks a full sentence, though I suppose his "Sumanai" could be translated as a full sentence ("I am sorry"), though it's just one word.

Vincent is too cool, even, to ask a bizarrely misshapen human being "Who are you?" Rather, he just says "You are..." and leaves it up to the best to proclaim his name. Characters yell at each other, things explode, and every time one character speaks another (currently off-screen and yet-to-be-introduced) character's name in front of a character who's never heard of that person, a Cerberus somewhere in Hades grows a fourth head, and then promptly vomits another million dollars into Square-Enix's Swiss bank account.

And on top of all that, Vincent has BULLETHOLES in his hair, for crying out loud! In the CG animation, his hair is fluffy and straight; it looks like he's been applying prudent, manly use of a flatiron. In the actual game, it's rugged and raw, which is alright, too. Only -- why are their these big round orifices in his should-be-flowing strands of hair? It's weird, and vaguely yucky.

Remedial difficulty

Another thing that strikes me is the remedial level of difficulty, like the producers are concerned first and foremost with educating Japanese players about what an FPS is without encouraging them to ever play one again. In the early stages, I could see a basic intelligence to it. Perhaps making an FPS without ever having played one is the best way to revolutionize the genre, I was thinking. I liked the aiming. I liked the attention to character and detail. I liked the way the story was being told -- less like Half Life, where the story and the game happen at the same time, Dirge was, in the beginning, more of a game with a story courteously peppered in at the right moments.

Then the whole thing slid off the tracks, the story decided that the events it was foreshadowing just weren't going to be worth it, and I'm left standing in a room somewhere just shooting, shooting, shooting, and getting shot. I must get shot a hundred times, and still I'm not half dead. I shoot the enemies once and they die. I kill all twenty of them, and then get the card key. The door is literally five steps in front of me.

It's a little jarring, from a design perspective. It reminds of . . . well, it reminds me of Kingdom Hearts II. See, in Kingdom Hearts II, every major battle has these "reaction commands" that you need to activate with the triangle button. The problem is, you need to wait until the triangle button displays -- right above your menu -- in order to use these commands. Then you execute some "spectacular," environment-based attack.

It's a good enough idea, because videogames are, at their core, about entertaining people through slick visuals. However, that executing these triangle-button attacks requires you to stare at the menu in the corner of the screen when you should be enjoying the bouncy visuals on the other 80% of the screen is just kind of a bizarre design decision.

This whole trend of "press the button really quick to do something -- hurry!" in games lately is a little frustrating. Sometimes it's done well, like in Sega's yakuza brawler Ryu ga gotoku. Resident Evil 4 is all about jagging the button at prudent moments, to the point where it can't not work.

Made up minds

As with Kingdom Hearts, though, no matter what I say, people who will like the game will like it. I'd like to further encourage you all not to encourage the people who make such games, though I realize full well those who have already made up their minds have made up their minds.

Case in point: Dirge of Cerberus was the top-selling game this week, with 365,495 units sold. The new Onimusha game is in third, Ar Tonelico (a rather bland RPG with funny dialogue) is in number 7, and the rest is all DS, with the English Training game (which will probably not be released in America -- call it a hunch) debuting in number two.

Next week, Dirge will no doubt plummet down to the mid-twenties, and English Training will stick right where it is. I guess this kind of tells you exactly how Nintendo's and Square-Enix's strategies differ; they are without a doubt the two most interesting games publishers in this country. Square-Enix puts out big games with big budgets, meant to sell fast and fade fast; Nintendo aims at sticking around as long as possible. Five of the Nintendo DS games in the top ten have their total sales numbers displayed in red: this means they have sold more than a million copies. The only other game with a red total sales number is Kingdom Hearts II -- which fell from 12 to 25 this week.

Kingdom Hearts II's retail price is, um, three and a half times that of Brain Training. So, needless to say, the industry on the whole is doing kind of well recently.

In one month, it will get much better, as Final Fantasy XII will be released. Famitsu amazingly does not hype it at all this week, nor do they include it on the back page preview of next week's issue. It's not necessary at this point, and I quite frankly don't want it spoiled. Square-Enix expects to sell 2.5 million in a month. I can only hope that the game's innovations as regard system and story will be respected for what they are, and not just consumed wholesale because "It's Final Fantasy."

In two weeks, I will talk in much detail about the game, its cursed design history, and why it might just end up being a bona fide masterpiece despite the fact that its producer stood up and disappeared about a year ago, half its crew defected to another company, it stars no characters from Final Fantasy VII, and its hero apparently doesn't know how to wear a T-shirt.
WTF? i'm really looking forward to that game!

chainlink12

darkness eternal said:
I dont really care what some fool has to say about Kingdom Hearts because all that means is that he isnt a fan also he intitled to his opinion but he will feel pretty stupid when he realizes that nobody cared about his review when KH sells over 1 million copies in the U.S. in the first 5 days.

yea what rpg master said! how could kh2 get a 39 out of 40 if it wasnt good!

o yea an yes i do wish my youth would last forever and im concerned that im losing my youth, and i am going to have to go to college in a few years!
i think it'll sell 1 million copies in only 3 days like over in japan, who knows, maybe it will be even bigger here...

E

Eclipse

Vincent666 said:
I didn't think it was much of a spoiler either, since I overlooked it...

Can anybody tell me how many posts I need before I can make my own custom title? I'm too lazy to look through all those pages in the other forum...

you need 1000 posts and then you become a premium member and can edit your own title and stuff :D

man what that dude said about kh2 was harsh...is he a member here? cuz if he is i'm not sure what he would be doing here if he didn't like the game...:confused:

Mr.

O__O
Two things I am about to say about that idiot who gave KH II a 2.5:
THAT IS BULLSHIT.
BULL-SHIT.
He can go put his head where he should; in the toilet filled with crap, piss, and vomit.
Asshole. >__> That guy was an ASSHOLE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back