• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance Volume II: The Search for More Money

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronove

Sure, it's possible that Dream Drop Distance will include Birth By Sleep Volume II. After all, we've seen Apprentice Xehanort in the previews.

And it would be one heck of a finale to storm the Realm of Darkness to save Aqua at the end. What a way to get people pumped for Kingdom Hearts Three, to have all the pieces in order... but... well...

Unfortunately, Square Enix really likes one thing: Money. And the Nintendo 3DS is far from the only net gen portable. With the Vita coming out in less than twelve months time, Square not releasing a Kingdom Hearts game for it is about as likely as Simon Cowell returning to American Idol.

So I think Birth By Sleep Volume II for the Vita is an inevitability. Square's taken a beating recently with the MMO fiasco, among other factors like sales that failed to live up to projections and so on. But Kingdom Hearts, well, Days and Birth By Sleep both topped sales on their respective platforms. And with the 3DS not doing as hot as it can, it's unlikely that Square releases only one game on it.

Alright Ronove, you say after rolling your eyes, sure, Birth By Sleep Volume II will come out on the Vita. What's the big deal, you may ask.

And I, after taking a sip of tea(Earl gray, with only a hint of sugar of course) while adjusting my monocle, say back to you: Dream Drop Distance will be pointless.

Oh no, the gameplay will be excellent. The Frollo boss battle and the Neku partnership will be spoken for years upon end. I, and probably you as well, will shell out the forty to fifty bucks for it.

But to expect conclusive explanations... well that is simply off the table.

For you see, if Birth By Sleep Volume II is coming out, then that means Dream Drop Distance is going to raise more questions than it answers. "What happened to Apprentice Xehanort?" we ask, and Dream Drop Distance will show us a bit. But not the whole chimichanga. In fact, it will probably muddle our perceptions a bit.

Oh, sure, it'll hopefully explain the ramifications of Sora being able to have a heterosexual threesome with himself. It will probably develop Riku, an excellent character in his own right, even further. And at the end of the day, we'll be able to flip off the iris searing nintendo product knowing that twister is as catchy of a tune as it is nonsensical.

But the game is not designed to be a Penultimate one. It shall be designed to be the prepenultimate game. Each answer will be a half answer at best.

For the jigsaw puzzle pieces we seek lies in the tale of a rodent and a blue haired mage, not in the world of dreams. And that tale, is simply too profitable to confine to the 3DS.

So do not be surprised when Sora and Riku burst into the Realm of Darkness to find: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx_UJxuQGXo#t=00m15s

The game will be excellent, but the effect Dream Drop Distance will have on the clarity of the series' events... not so much.

Arkrend

Well we at least hope that DDD will finally catch Sora up with everything we know. Re:Coded pretty much said Sora will find the memories of Roxas and Ven soon. With luck that will be in DDD. Although I agree that we're bound to get a bunch of new questions.

Last edited:

Radar

Bronze Member
Eh, well. Nice typing/theory whatever. The game still paves to road to kh3. But the MoM dissapoints me more than the game being on a new system, and bbsv2 being on vita. I mean, do we really need almost a whole freakin game about the duo taking a test to prepare for the final battle. I mean yeah it sure seems epic, but i really HOPE there is more important aspects in the game then just the MoM. I hope for sora/riku finishing the exam half way thru the game, then they start there new quest.

I mean a game based on just solely the MoM tastes like milk.

Ronove

Eh, well. Nice typing/theory whatever. The game still paves to road to kh3. But the MoM dissapoints me more than the game being on a new system, and bbsv2 being on vita. I mean, do we really need almost a whole freakin game about the duo taking a test to prepare for the final battle. I mean yeah it sure seems epic, but i really HOPE there is more important aspects in the game then just the MoM. I hope for sora/riku finishing the exam half way thru the game, then they start there new quest.

The MoM is a silly plot device, but at least Sora acknowledges that he doesn't need it(watch as he fails it though due to LOLKINGDOMHEARTS)

This is mainly a pep rally for Riku, which I can understand. Sometimes you need your bro to bash a few heads in so he gets over his DARKNESS angst.

Oh, but the whole worlds lost in sleep are worth saving, so why not view it as Sora and Riku doing a good deed and then getting a boy scout badge for it?

So there is justification for their actions in universe... kinda, but as you and I know the ACTUAL reason they're doing this is so Square Enix makes lods of emone on the 3DS.

My main annoyance is that I know the juicy stuff is going to be in Birth By Sleep Volume II, a game they haven't announced but will shortly after we play DDD and suffer brain cancer as a result.

I just hope we don't have time travel come into play....

billyzanesucks

Sort of another troll topic imo. This sounds a little ridiculous. The game is designed to move the story forward, not like going back to previous places in the timeline, so it makes no sense for you to jump to this conclusion. It's like saying that Days is more important than KHII (not saying BBSV2 is going to be that much like Days, but you get what I'm talking about). The "shocking" ending could really bring things together. Nomura said it's on par with a numbered title, so. . .

Last edited:

Gray Aria

The Misshapen Spark
Awards

I don't know where you're getting this "solely MoM" stuff from. Nomura said MoM will be just a small part of it. Of course the first trailer we get is only going to show off the first bits of the story. It's so funny how people act as if they already know the entire plot of this game from watching one vague trailer. Look at Terra and Aqua's MoM exam. It was all covered in one scene. I know Yen Sid will have very different methods but I doubt he would make it take up the whole game, or even half of it. Especially if it really is supposed to be a main title.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
This topic is more pointless then Dream Drop Distance will ever be, I can tell you that much.

Mr Yippie

how about we have one game focus on one story line instead of an even bigger clusterfuck that satisfies your super sugoi crossover needs

Ronove

Eraqus's MoM Exam: Play with these balls and then smack each other with your keys.

Yen Sid's MoM Exam: YO BRO TAKE A HIT OFF OF THIS ROACH LACED WITH PCP TIME TO PULL SOME INCEPTION SHIT DIVE INTO YOUR DREAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMS

Because really, DDD seems like one really good(or bad) acid trip. In any event, you're right Juggernaut6. Even Re:coded, the most unneeded game in the series had more to it than met the eye. It was Roxas pulling some bullshit the whole time. So in DDD there's probably another element at work.

I still maintain that regardless of this additional depth we're practically assured to run into, we'll get half answers at best.

Mr. Yippie: I'd like self contained stories. But DDD ain't going to be it.

chihuahuaman: I disagree. In a meta sense, knowing that DDD will be inconclusive can help us speculate about other stuff in the series.

billyzanesucks

Eraqus's MoM Exam: Play with these balls and then smack each other with your keys.

Yen Sid's MoM Exam: YO BRO TAKE A HIT OFF OF THIS ROACH LACED WITH PCP TIME TO PULL SOME INCEPTION SHIT DIVE INTO YOUR DREAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMS

Because really, DDD seems like one really good(or bad) acid trip. In any event, you're right Juggernaut6. Even Re:coded, the most unneeded game in the series had more to it than met the eye. It was Roxas pulling some bullshit the whole time. So in DDD there's probably another element at work.

I still maintain that regardless of this additional depth we're practically assured to run into, we'll get half answers at best.
That's pretty much the way it is with every main game. It's not like the side games.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Of course we'll get half answers. We need something to solve in KH3.

I think of what we see of the past in DDD will be a tease for BBSv2. No way will DDD be dealing with the past except for probably a few scenes. Defeats the purpose of new worlds and moving forward in the plot if we are just seeing the past.

I don't even think this is about money for SE. If it were about money, SE would have already remade FFVII :/ (please don't start talking about it because I just brought it up as an example of things SE would do if they were just money hungry)

Nomura likes storytelling, in all honesty.

I like how this thread already has hate starting to grow in it.

Ronove

Of course we'll get half answers. We need something to solve in KH3.

I think of what we see of the past in DDD will be a tease for BBSv2. No way will DDD be dealing with the past except for probably a few scenes. Defeats the purpose of new worlds and moving forward in the plot if we are just seeing the past.

I don't even think this is about money for SE. If it were about money, SE would have already remade FFVII :/ (please don't start talking about it because I just brought it up as an example of things SE would do if they were just money hungry)

Nomura likes storytelling, in all honesty.

I like how this thread already has hate starting to grow in it.

Well don't misunderstand me, wanting money is not a bad thing. But I feel like with the power of the Vita Nomura could have done BBSvII and DDD in one go. And Billyzanesucks, I think KH1 and BBS were fairly self contained. I have a friend who hates Kingdom Hearts except for BBS partially because of that.

Let me shift focus a bit, I don't mean to complain. I think that because BBSv2 there'll be interesting plot developments. Like, I don't think Aqua and Sora will meet till KH3, for example.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Well don't misunderstand me, wanting money is not a bad thing. But I feel like with the power of the Vita Nomura could have done BBSvII and DDD in one go. And Billyzanesucks, I think KH1 and BBS were fairly self contained. I have a friend who hates Kingdom Hearts except for BBS partially because of that.

Let me shift focus a bit, I don't mean to complain. I think that because BBSv2 there'll be interesting plot developments. Like, I don't think Aqua and Sora will meet till KH3, for example.

Haha, I wasn't referring to you on the "hate" thing. It was to others. xD Your OP had me laughing.

billyzanesucks

That's because KH was meant to be a single game, and Birth by Sleep was a prequel set ten years in the past with completely new characters. With any progressive series, it's meant to be interconnected. I wouldn't exactly say BBS left a shortage of questions. It left several plot threads unwoven, with several new specific questions that weren't addressed in-game. 3D will be very similar.

Gray Aria

The Misshapen Spark
Awards

Mr. Yippie: I'd like self contained stories. But DDD ain't going to be it.

chihuahuaman: I disagree. In a meta sense, knowing that DDD will be inconclusive can help us speculate about other stuff in the series.

I think what Chuman was trying to say was that what you said goes without saying. I don't think anyone was expecting a lot of answers in 3D.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
I didn't expect DDD to answer too much of anything. I didn't know anybody did.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Yeah. I can't even conceive what DDD will even lead to so I can hardly imagine it answering anything but it's own self-imposed questions and maybe like "what is the data in Sora"

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
That's really all I think it should answer. There are a fair amount of questions left over and it could very well take two or three games to answer them.

Ronove

The main question is -should- it take two games before KH3 to answer the questions?

Also, the possibility of time travel in BBSv2 both excites and scares me.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
I really don't want time travel in the series other than the obvious Phantom from KH1.
But, yeah maybe it should. DDD is about moving forward, and possibly answering HOW to do things but not the secrets of the past. BBSv2 could easily answer things leading up to DDD, and then KH3 would tie things (mostly) up. The series is never not going to have a question kicking around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back