• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kingdom Hearts and Names

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xammag

(I'm sure or all of this has been explained somewhere already, but I need an outlet for my KH thoughts.)

Anagrams of Xehanort (without the X): No Heart, Another, No Earth

No Heart and Another are fairly obvious. The Heartless, Xehanorts obsession with manipulating hearts or replacing others' hearts, and making others into "another" of himself all qualify.

No Earth? Well, let's see, what characters' names reference the Earth? Riku's name is the pronunciation of 'land' in Japanese, and Terra is Latin for 'Earth'. What has Xehanort (or some form of Xehanort) done to Riku and Terra? Possessed them, tried to take them over, remains a constant threat to their individuality (though Riku has sense found himself again). Xehanort has attempted numerous times to rid these two characters of themselves and claim them for himself: There would be no Riku or Terra left, hence the anagram "No Earth".

"There are many worlds but they share the same sky. One sky, one destiny."

Sora's name can be interpreted as 'sky' in Japanese. The worlds share the same sky, aka., Sora. Sora is one of the heroes of the series, often the main hero. Sora travels the worlds to save them often enough, as he's done it three times already (and once more if we count data Sora). His destiny is to save the worlds and the people that inhabit them. One Sora, or one hero, with one destiny across all these different worlds.

Let's look at Kairi and Aqua.

Kairi's name can be interpreted as "sea" in Japanese. Aqua is Latin for 'water'. Kairi has been seperated from Riku and Sora, her best friends, quite a few times in this series. Now, if we want to be figurative, we can say that she was seperated from them numerous times by "the sea of worlds". Outer space is often compared to a large and endless ocean, so this is a short stretch. More literally, though, Sora was taken from Kairi at the end of KH 1 as their piece of land broke apart and Sora was forced away from her. Here there is a literal sea between them as they get further apart. We often see Kairi staring out to the sea while at the Destiny Islands. Kairi's theme has become separation from her friends, and a sense of longing for them to all be reunited.

Aqua is very similar, though she has taken a more active role. She wants her friends to be reuinited as well, as she sees plot and schemes manipulating them and straining their friendship. Aqua chases Ventus and Terra to both close the physical distance between them and the social distance created by Xehanort's plans. They close that social distance by the end of BBS, but physically they are torn apart again as Aqua saves Terra and is herself trapped in the Realm of Darkness. A parallel to Kairi, we see (in one of those BBS endings) Aqua meeting the real Ansem and staring out over the sea at the Dark Margin (the same place we say in "Another Side, Another Story"). In fact, this is the same place Sora and Riku were trapped at the end of KH 2 before being reunited with Kairi on the Destiny Islands.

Sora, Ventus, Vanitas

Let us acknowledge for a moment the genius in Nomura choosing the name "Vanitas". One, it is similar sounding to Ventus, so that's good. Two, it is Latin for "vanity" or "emptiness". Three, it uses the same kanji (Japanese letters) for Sora in it, which makes it literally a reference to two characters while giving Vanitas' own character a meaning as well. While Sora is "sky", Vanitas can be seen as "emptiness", though both are similar and entirely different. The sky can be full of things, all inclusive, like Sora and his love for his friends, or it can be empty and lonely, like Vanitas and his reliance only on himself. Even looking at the Unversed, the fact that they come from within Vanitas (and his negative emotions like loneliness and hatred to boot) emphasizes his theme of being alone. Ventus, whose name means 'wind' in Latin, is very similar to Sora in the way he acquires and cares for his friends. He's free flowing, moving from world to world and carrying his friends with him wherever he goes. Roxas, being an anagram of Sora's name, shares this trait for friendship with his counterparts.

So there you have it. Names mean stuff.

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com
And don't forget that "Nami" means "ocean wave", and "Xion" means "tide":) In fact, I think TV Tropes has a ton of other possible name meanings, too. Like, I don't know if it was intentional or not, but apparently one of Roxas and Xion's shared Keyblades shares the name of some Japanese tragic love song. And I think I also read 13 and 14 together means "love you forever" in Chinese or something like that. Anyway, I've always loved when KH (and other fandoms) does its research, and has a lot of symbolism and meaning behind things. I particularly loved BbS, where you could unlock your characters' names as powers. And weren't most of TVA's Shotlocks primarily based on their element? It's been a while since I've played BbS, but I think that's true... And also, this is a little off topic, but wasn't there originally supposed to be a sand spell in BbS? I think I remember hearing that somewhere. Most likely, it would have been Terra's command, and it would have been awesome! I really hope it shows up someday. I want to do some Sand Bending. XD

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
What I have to say, you've already said it. Though I just want to add some things up.

People who speak languages derived from Latin (French, Spanish, Italian, and partly English) will probably straightaway notice that Terra, Aqua, and Ventus' names are familiar and guess their meanings correctly. After all, there are words like terrain, aquatic, and ventilation.

The meanings of TAV's names are also given in their Japanese titles: Terra, 絆守る大 kizuna mamoru daichi (the great earth protecting bonds); Aqua, 絆繋ぐ舞 kizuna tsunagu busui (the dancing water connecting bonds); Ventus, 絆巡る疾 kizuna meguru shippū (the swift wind returning to bonds). This helps non-Latin-derived-language speakers, especially the Japanese, understand what their names really mean and how they tally with SRK.

Light

faster than
Awards
Huh. I thought it was Terra, for, well, the word terra in general. Terrain being among them, it is always associated with ground or earth. Aqua, right, aquatic, water, that sort of jazz. But Ventus was for the wind spirits, or so I thought.

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
(without the X)
I think it's very interesting that the series heavily implies X has no place in names. As I recall, the only ones who have an X in their names are Organization members (where X had been forced into the original name) and Xehanort himself. Saïx and Xigbar have even kept their Nobody names in 3D (assuming they returned as Lea and the others did, and were not pulled from the past). The letter χ is given strong power in this universe, with its role in the lore and Xehanort's obsession giving it connotations of corruption; in a way, χ is the thing that birthed Darkness and, through Xehanort and his various incarnations, allows it to thrive. Xehanort said it best in his introduction of the rune:
Master Xehanort said:
'χ'... A most ancient letter. Some say 'kye,' but the meaning is the same. Death... A letter that spells endings.
Spells endings, huh? A tree set to be cut down is marked with an X in spray paint. A wrong answer on a game show may be accompanied by an X displayed on-screen. But you may also see, say in a horror film, a person fashioning an X out of sticks or even their fingers in an effort to ward off a demon (X being used to represent Christ).

At the same time, though, χ carries other connotations; Plato wrote in Timaeus that the soul of the world consisted of two bands crossing over one another in the shape of an X. The χ-blade is the physical counterpart of Kingdom Hearts, the ultimate summation of all hearts, hearts being in KH what the real world considers a soul to be. The χ-blade itself takes the form of two Kingdom Keys crossed over one another, though that's a point of interest not entirely related to names.

Given all of this, I almost want to say that the lines X is comprised of may represent Light and Darkness themselves, the intersection being where those two alignments collide.

Then again, perhaps I'm looking too far into it.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Speaking of Names and meanings, I guess nearly everyone knows that Eraqus is "Square" spelled backwards as an allusion to Yen Sid, who is the same for Disney, giving both major companies related to the series an in-universe character as a sort of representative.

However, Eraqus' name can also be read as a conglomerate of parts of the names of his three apprentices, most likely in the order he came to train them:
Terra | Aqua | Ventus =>
Er - aq - us.

Just a small little tibit I noticed not long ago. ;)

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
I went to a translator site an' it says that riku also means agony of separation and kairi also means beaver.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
I went to a translator site an' it says that riku also means agony of separation and kairi also means beaver.

Kairi (乖離) can also mean separation or detachment, although rather uncommon. Well, she was separated from Sora and Kairi for a long time throughout KH and KH2.

But I think I'm getting slightly too trigger-happy with the names here. :p

Pipapo

Website
pixiv.me
Anagrams of Xehanort (without the X): No Heart, Another, No Earth
[...]
No Earth? Well, let's see, what characters' names reference the Earth? Riku's name is the pronunciation of 'land' in Japanese, and Terra is Latin for 'Earth'. What has Xehanort (or some form of Xehanort) done to Riku and Terra? Possessed them, tried to take them over, remains a constant threat to their individuality (though Riku has sense found himself again). Xehanort has attempted numerous times to rid these two characters of themselves and claim them for himself: There would be no Riku or Terra left, hence the anagram "No Earth".

That's interesting, i didn't thought of the name incorporating "earth" although you can also find an homonym/synonym: "terah" (yeah, that may be a little too much but that's funny (⌒-⌒; ) )
it's also very interesting to point out that YX and Xemnas use their ethereal blades, ethereal meaning "heavenly, not from the earth". But is it possible to say that the developers thought all of this? Or is it some coincidences?

But I always wondered if Xehanort is his true name, that's kinda weird being called with so much anagrams hidden in one's name, but that's my opinion (´θ`)

I would like to also note the importance of the crown (as a symbol you can see it everywhere but you won't here about in the games. You can see a crown on Sora, the Kingdom key, on the logo...). Throughout the (real) world, you find all sorts of crown, all sharing the same symbolic : representing the authority (generally monarchy) but this great power always comes from a higher "force" (in Europe, it was God...in fact, it always come from gods/deities, heavenly beings). The crown symbolizes (you could say it materializes) the status that the benefactor earned, an earthling to whom heavenly powers were granted (it is emphasized because you were a crown on one's head, thus above the rest of the body, which can be considered as the "earth"). You can link that with Sora, a name meaning sky, a place where heaven lies.
Well, in fact, you can say the crown is the (materialized) link between the earth and the sky/heavens.

But...when I think about it, xemnas/no heart's armor has a crown on its helmet.
(and, you might not agree but, the KH crown is made of three branches (? Not sure of the word, well it has three "???")right?.....umm, when you look at Ansem's hair, it is made of three spikes going "up" (not sure of the word)...personally, it is weird, and it may be too much but what's your opinion?)

Last edited:

Javelin434

Awards
Kairi (乖離) can also mean separation or detachment, although rather uncommon. Well, she was separated from Sora and Kairi for a long time throughout KH and KH2.
Considering what happened to her with Sora and Riku throughout the series...

mind-blown.jpg

Gram

Banned
Awards
However, Eraqus' name can also be read as a conglomerate of parts of the names of his three apprentices, most likely in the order he came to train them:
Terra | Aqua | Ventus =>
Er - aq - us.

Just a small little tibit I noticed not long ago. ;)

I knew Eraqus was square backwards but I never noticed this bit before, pretty interesting. =D

Loxdani

I believe the number one source for the idea of using anagrams to name character in KH came from Yen Sid being an anagram for Disney (actually just spelled backwards). I remember that's why Nomura decided to make master Eraqus' name an anagram for Square as an homage to the Disney - Yen Sid name. Both named after their respective companies and both Masters that battle for good. The original names I believe the development team made a lot of research and made these connection but for the anagram names to me any connection to the story line was just plain luck.

Loxdani

I believe the number one source for the idea of using anagrams to name character in KH came from Yen Sid being an anagram for Disney (actually just spelled backwards). I remember that's why Nomura decided to make master Eraqus' name an anagram for Square as an homage to the Disney - Yen Sid name. Both named after their respective companies and both Masters that battle for good. The original names I believe the development team made a lot of research and made these connection but for the anagram names to me any connection to the story line was just plain luck. When they want to make connection through names they create a name case Namine. Namine could have been called Airkxi, Arkixi or Axiirk (all anagrams of Kairi added an X) but the purposefully created a name to have a connection.

sorry for the double post trying to get the hang of things.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Namine could have been called Airkxi, Arkixi or Axiirk (all anagrams of Kairi added an X) but the purposefully created a name to have a connection.

Of course if they'd done that, then the Organization jig would have been up and Roxas and Xemnas's names probably would have been guessed far before the game came out. Also who Namine was would have been spelled out a lot clearer, but that also would have meant that Namine was in the organization which they just didn't want to do. I get what you mean, though

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
I believe the number one source for the idea of using anagrams to name character in KH came from Yen Sid being an anagram for Disney (actually just spelled backwards). I remember that's why Nomura decided to make master Eraqus' name an anagram for Square as an homage to the Disney - Yen Sid name. Both named after their respective companies and both Masters that battle for good. The original names I believe the development team made a lot of research and made these connection but for the anagram names to me any connection to the story line was just plain luck.

Yeah, I think it's just a very convenient coincidence. But it's still noteworthy nonetheless.

Then how about this? Probably you think that Kingdom Key and Kingdom Key D were so named because of its association with Kingdom Hearts (at least, KH1's Kingdom Hearts). Well, take a look at what's called the Keys of (the Kingdom of) Heaven.

The Keys of Heaven appear in the Pope's coat of arms as a symbol of Saint Peter, the "gatekeeper" of Heaven. One of the Keys are made of silver (like the blade of KK), while the other, gold (like the blade of KKD). In addition, the intersecting KKs adorning the χ-blade (the means to unlock the true Kingdom Hearts) reflect the Keys of Heaven's arrangement.

Pipapo

Website
pixiv.me
The Keys of Heaven appear in the Pope's coat of arms as a symbol of Saint Peter, the "gatekeeper" of Heaven. One of the Keys are made of silver (like the blade of KK), while the other, gold (like the blade of KKD). In addition, the intersecting KKs adorning the χ-blade (the means to unlock the true Kingdom Hearts) reflect the Keys of Heaven's arrangement.

Oh yes! That's true, but the most interesting part is that the silver key is the key from Earth, and the gold key, from heaven (some stories said that the gold key could be found on the top of heavens and the silver key in the bottom of Hell). And I remember having read on another thread that the kingdom key had Riku's colors and the kingdom key D had Sora's colors. How convenient !
you can also notice a tiara (a crown) above the two keys on the pope's coat of arms.

Thank you, I've never noticed it!

Loxdani

then the Organization jig would have been up and Roxas and Xemnas's names probably would have been guessed far before the game came out.

Exactly when people found out about the anagrams names when Organization XIII was introduced they tried to decipher the original names.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back