• Hello KHInsider Forum Members! Please hide all spoilers and discussion for Final Fantasy VII Remake in a spoiler tag, keep all titles spoiler-free, and do not share any videos/streams/images prior to April 9th 9pm Pacific Time. Anybody who fails to comply will be banned immediately for a week.

News ► KH Character Files: Short Stories - Master Xehanort, Master Eraqus, Vanitas

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I hope there will be one of these story thingies on Vexen. That may be might last chance to get the inside scope on the Replica Program. They'll probably just focus on his atonement but I hope there is some Replica Program thing because there is so much I wanna know. Like what are the bodies even made of? Marble from C.O.?

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
About BbS, I honestly truly think if the game had released on the PS2 like originally intended (or pushed to the PS3), we could've had more time to spend with each character separate and together.

When you look at the early trailers of BbS, there definitely seems to be more going on between at least Terra and Ven. For example, there's a scene of Ven and Terra chilling in Hallow Bastion and Terra thanks Ven for saving him. It seemed to be a callback to Xemnas holding Roxas's shoulder, like... it was important for some reason.

You've got Terra holding unconcious Ven ready to fight Xehanort (later, the scene is clearly reused for Terra vs Eraqus)

Aqua only makes an appearance via a shadow when Ven asks her to kill him, it seems like only she was there/Ven was specifically asking her to do it.

Hell, I created entire theories that Ven was Sora long lost forgotten big brother or something because they were just chilling in Destiny Island as Sora and Riku were playing in the distance unbothered.

BbS as released did have some flaws, but I honestly do still love the story and the gameplay. It's still my favorite game of the series I think. Kingdom Hearts does need more casual events, like why not have the three of them meet in Disney Town and rekindle their friendship (that's basically what happens except they're all separated when they resolve to make up. How silly is that)

Maybe the age thing is true. Older fans more likely prefer BbS and the younger ones Days? I mean, I do appreciate Days, but well, that has its own issues for me that I still forgave in the end.

Foxycian

Awards
About BbS, I honestly truly think if the game had released on the PS2 like originally intended (or pushed to the PS3), we could've had more time to spend with each character separate and together.

When you look at the early trailers of BbS, there definitely seems to be more going on between at least Terra and Ven. For example, there's a scene of Ven and Terra chilling in Hallow Bastion and Terra thanks Ven for saving him. It seemed to be a callback to Xemnas holding Roxas's shoulder, like... it was important for some reason.

You've got Terra holding unconcious Ven ready to fight Xehanort (later, the scene is clearly reused for Terra vs Eraqus)

Aqua only makes an appearance via a shadow when Ven asks her to kill him, it seems like only she was there/Ven was specifically asking her to do it.

Hell, I created entire theories that Ven was Sora long lost forgotten big brother or something because they were just chilling in Destiny Island as Sora and Riku were playing in the distance unbothered.

BbS as released did have some flaws, but I honestly do still love the story and the gameplay. It's still my favorite game of the series I think. Kingdom Hearts does need more casual events, like why not have the three of them meet in Disney Town and rekindle their friendship (that's basically what happens except they're all separated when they resolve to make up. How silly is that)

Maybe the age thing is true. Older fans more likely prefer BbS and the younger ones Days? I mean, I do appreciate Days, but well, that has its own issues for me that I still forgave in the end.
It not going to lie, I hated that, the story of bbs revolved around our three heroes Terra Aqua and ventus, but still mainly terra and ven (only cause of their connection to Xehanort and Sora) the 2008 trailers is an example of what I mean and how it focused on both of them, however both of their story was shifted and was changed cause aqua took most of the portion from their story’s, she was given the longer story, Now unfortunately Terra has the smallest worlds and had met the least characters (plus his dodge pales in comparison to his friends) while Aqua had more areas to visit in the worlds compared to terra and she met the most Disney characters, now I know her being new (compared to terra and ven) is what gave her to do more stuff in the game but still I’m not fan of how unfair it was, to begin with the story of bbs was created to explain the origin of apprentice xehanort but soo far they managed to take the spotlight from terra (a character we have been theorizing about since 2008) instead the spotlight was given to this random girl we never met before (which I’m ok with but...) but at least they should have made it fair and put more effort with terra like they did with aqua.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
It not going to lie, I hated that, the story of bbs revolved around our three heroes Terra Aqua and ventus, but still mainly terra and ven (only cause of their connection to Xehanort and Sora) the 2008 trailers is an example of what I mean and how it focused on both of them, however both of their story was shifted and was changed cause aqua took most of the portion from their story’s, she was given the longer story, Now unfortunately Terra has the smallest worlds and had met the least characters (plus his dodge pales in comparison to his friends) while Aqua had more areas to visit in the worlds compared to terra and she met the most Disney characters, now I know her being new (compared to terra and ven) is what gave her to do more stuff in the game but still I’m not fan of how unfair it was, to begin with the story of bbs was created to explain the origin of apprentice xehanort but soo far they managed to take the spotlight from terra (a character we have been theorizing about since 2008) instead the spotlight was given to this random girl we never met before (which I’m ok with but...) but at least they should have made it fair and put more effort with terra like they did with aqua.
Hm, I'm almost positive that not only was Aqua created at the same time as the boys, but the story was always supposed to be split between the three and the only reason why we didn't see Aqua in the super early trailers is because her model wasn't done yet. Maybe.

You see, if I recall correctly, Ven's model was just an edit of Roxas and Terra's an edit of Apprentice Xehanort. There wasn't a character similar to Aqua to edit from, she was new.

Based on KH2's secret ending and and a weird long cutscenes dedicated to her armor in KH2FM, I really do think she always had her own role and place.

The problem with BbS, imo, is that it's a PSP game with little to no room for whatever story might've existed before.

Foxycian

Awards
Hm, I'm almost positive that not only was Aqua created at the same time as the boys, but the story was always supposed to be split between the three and the only reason why we didn't see Aqua in the super early trailers is because her model wasn't done yet. Maybe.

You see, if I recall correctly, Ven's model was just an edit of Roxas and Terra's an edit of Apprentice Xehanort. There wasn't a character similar to Aqua to edit from, she was new.

Based on KH2's secret ending and and a weird long cutscenes dedicated to her armor in KH2FM, I really do think she always had her own role and place.

The problem with BbS, imo, is that it's a PSP game with little to no room for whatever story might've existed before.
You got a point there I won’t deny that but if you look at the trailers of 2008 the story was quite different, the main focus seemed to be about

1. who is that Roxas look alike and what is his connection to Sora?

2. and why is Xehanort an old man when in kh2 he was young?

And why does this terra guy look like Xemnas and has lingering will keyblade? The story of bbs 2008 played differently from what we have now

In 2008 trailer

1. Ventus is not shrunken in castle of dreams and actually visited the castle and meet Cinderella

2. Terra talked to maleficent when the castle was shrouded in thorns this part I guess was part of terra’s story but was given to aqua now

“I could list other stuff more but those two are enough”

terra may have had an interesting story’s cause of how he interacts with the characters (even tho he has the least interactions with the Disney characters) but I still didn’t like how he got the short end of the stick

if I remember correctly, the old interview for bbs said the original purpose of bbs was to explore the origin of the man in the armor (lingering will) and apprentice xehanort (terra and xehanort). But soo far Terra lost his spot light when final mix came and it give aqua more spotlight then she already has, I’m aware that terra was caught by xehanort and same with Ventus that’s why aqua is the only one available to use, but still wish they gave him more stuff to do since the story of bbs was mostly about him, and honestly give him a better invincible dodging skill like his friends...

But then again I commented on the fact that aqua being new is why she gets to do more stuff, I guess they somewhat? Made it (somewhat...) equal for all three since (still terra needed better dodge skill) the story of birth by sleep and kingdom hearts is split for each of the characters

birth by sleep story focused the most on

1. Terra 40% (involvement in the story)
2. Xehanort 35% (involvement in the story)
3. Ventus 30% (involvement in the story)
4. Vanitas 25 (involvement in the story)
5. Aqua 20% (involvement in the story)
6. Eraqus 15% (involvement in the story)
7. Mickey 10% (involvement in the story)

Kingdom hearts xehanort saga focused mostly on (among bbs characters only and I guess Mickey ofc)

1. Xehanort 50% (involvement in the story)
2. Terra 45% (important to the saga)
3. Ventus 40% (important in the story)
4. Aqua 35% (involvement in the story)
5. Vanitas 30% (involvement in the story)
6. Eraqus 25% (involvement in the story)

kingdom hearts xehanort saga and foretellers saga

Ventus 50% (involvement in the story)

the rest is unknown among the bbs characters, since among his trio Ventus seems to be the most important figure in terms of plot when we connect both xehanort and foretellers saga.

but yea I guess they all had it equal since each had his time to shine. thier three journey’s in bbs, Terra, (most important fate in bbs that connect to kh1) ven, (involvement in Kh franchise from the start and connection to Sora and roxas plus exploring ven’s past) aqua, (journey in bbs Final ep, secret ep and bbs sequel 0.2 which was supposed to be a full game from what I heard but was cut down unfortunately)

point taken, I agree they had it equally but wish terra had bigger role and more story to play other then just being the guy who (sets everything in motion) gets possessed and be the villain who started the story of kingdom hearts xehanort saga.

Not related to the topic but wish future games will give us more bbs trio more then the other trios, I really enjoyed their dynamic Warrior, Thief, mage,

Just like there is rumors of Dream drop distance 2 in gonna wish there is birth by sleep 2, I just want to see more of them.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
Some characters have moved positions/locations, but that doesn't mean a different character took their place. Their role in the world just changed. Or, entire scenes/locations changed. It happens.

There are scenes of Ven and Terra chilling in Hallow Bastion. That location doesn't even exist as of BbS. That's because, if I recall, this game was apparently a post KH2 game in the very early stages. We can stretch it and say this scene is technically the one when Ven and Terra part ways in Radiant Garden. No screen time taken, just moved and the meaning completely changed.

Xehanort and Ventus have an encounter in Olympus Coliseum where Ven looks mesmerized by whatever Xehanort is holding. This scene technically happens near end game in the Keyblade Graveyard. No screen time taken, just a different spot and similar meaning.

With the Cinderella, clearly the whole story layout/split was going to be different. The scene we see in the earliest trailers with Ven doesn't happen for any of the characters. Terra meets Cinderella before the ball after her dress got ripped to shreds then leaves. Ven meets Cinderella before the ball and helps her make a dress and leaves. Aqua meets Cinderella after the ball in her house (and sees her running away before that). I don't think this is Aqua's fault, they just changed how the world was gonna playout. (Sadly, we didn't get to see cute sparkly Ven in awe of the castle)

The scene where Ven asks to be erased is in Destiny Island and from what we can see, only Ven and Aqua are there (Aqua via shadow, again, because I think she was unfinished and they probably didn't have a voice for her either). In BbS, this scene happens in the Keyblade Graveyard and now it's a trio moment.

Etc etc etc. I would be very interested in seeing how BbS was supposed to be, but I truly believe Aqua always had her place in the plot independent of Terra and Ven. As I mentioned, she had an entire scene dedicated to her old rusty armor in KH2 with Xemnas talking to it. Xigbar purposely tried to start up a rumor mill about said armor and room and who Xemnas could be speaking to and who is the "friend". All this mystery from KH2.... for Aqua. That automatically makes whatever role she had quite significant independent of Terra and Ven.

Do I think the team could've divided the worlds and screen time better? For sure for sure. Can't count how many essays I've written about this. My solution was to not require all the characters to visit all the same worlds. Instead, maybe each world gets visited by 2 characters. Whatever world a character isn't required to visit turns into a dungeon or something.

Let's take Cinderella for example. Maybe only Aqua and Ven visit that world, Terra can learn the "believe in your dreams" spiel somewhere else.

Maybe only Terra and Ven visit Olympus Coliseum. As fun as it was to see Aqua get asked out on a date and be confident in taking on 2 bosses solo, maybe she didn't really need to be there.

Maybe only Terra and Aqua visit Snow White's world. Ven getting all flustered about Dwarfs thinking he's a thief was uber cute, but it wasn't super necessary eh?

Might help with their timeline issues among other things. They could also spend way more time in worlds where all three are together, like Radiant Garden or even the very beginning of the game before the test.

As things are, it's not like Aqua was just added into the mix halfway through the game and so they took other character time and gave it to her. They just suck with time management.

Recon

Have fun!
Awards
  • You've Got A Friend In Me
  • News Hound
  • Ursus Union
  • Mog Boss
  • Final Fantasy Dimensions
  • The World Ends with You: Solo Remix
“It is as exactly as someone who taught me” - Xehanort

Who’s the someone? MoM?