• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Intelligent Design

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards
The difference is that intelligent design is not based on facts, and evolution is.

Well I agree ID is not based on scientific fact and many times as in this case it is trying to pass off as a science. Creation, the spirit world, God, can not be explained by science and yes, that is where they went wrong.

By not mentioning every other view, you disrespect it.

Nah, it's not a matter or mentioning or not it's a matter of picking out a specific one and degrading it. Pro evolution calling ID stupid and Pro ID calling Evolution stupid. Get's both sides really far. Not saying either one is right. I personally do not agree completely with many ideas of ID neither Evolution.

Awards
I'm sure a lot of people who believe in Intelligent Design feel the same way about evolution.

Because it's not like they have the option of sending their children to parochial schools, right?

If you want to teach creationism in public schools, fine, but Atheists get a tax exempt status.

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards
Because it's not like they have the option of sending their children to parochial schools, right?

Many do not.

If you want to teach creationism in public schools, fine, but Atheists get a tax exempt status.

I don't. I don't think the issue here was that it was being taught in his class. The issue was that he just thought the idea was ludicrous. At the same time, I highly doubt that while it was being taught in class it was being taught as fact, rather just as another idea that is out there.

Aucune Raison

DARLING SO THERE YOU ARE
Creation, the spirit world, God, can not be explained by science

Since that is the case, it does not belong in the science branch of the school system. Also, why can't the spiritual world have a yet-undiscovered scientific basis with rules and logic?

Nah, it's not a matter or mentioning or not it's a matter of picking out a specific one and degrading it. Pro evolution calling ID stupid and Pro ID calling Evolution stupid. Get's both sides really far. Not saying either one is right. I personally do not agree completely with many ideas of ID neither Evolution.

Why give respect to something that is wrong with equal measure of something grounded in fact?

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards
Since that is the case, it does not belong in the science branch of the school system. Also, why can't the spiritual world have a yet-undiscovered scientific basis with rules and logic?

Well I suppose it could. Still I highly doubt it will. Not only that, by science trying to discover a spirit world, a discovery would rock the scientific community to it's very foundation and they may very well have to reevaluate everything that they disregarded before.

Why give respect to something that is wrong with equal measure of something grounded in fact?

For peace. You can respectfully show points on the matter to show that one side may be right or wrong.

Aucune Raison

DARLING SO THERE YOU ARE
Well I suppose it could. Still I highly doubt it will. Not only that, by science trying to discover a spirit world, a discovery would rock the scientific community to it's very foundation and they may very well have to reevaluate everything that they disregarded before.

There's no "agenda" other than expansion of knowledge and human benefit, if you're making an implication. Nothing has been disregarded, there's just no proof of anything worth making a study for.

For peace.

Again, you can't please everyone, so you have to go with what is factual. Also keep in mind that ID started the "conflict".

EDIT:

You can respectfully show points on the matter to show that one side may be right or wrong.

Already done. What's happening now is essentially kicking the dead corpse.

xxJonxx

Religion and Science can never co-exist I learned that in class. The reason is that Science disproves the idea that God existed and created the world. Natural Selection and Evolution have been proven. Religion cannot prove that Science is fake.

Alaude Drenxta

\+The Devil's+/ .{Advocate}.
No, I was directing my attention to the lack of respect shown. You expect others to accept your idea and then disrespect theirs.

It isn't an idea. It is a fact.
I will laugh at someone discussing the pros of intelligent design just as quickly as I would laugh at an 8 year old who told me that 4+8=48.

Except the 8 year old is probably a lot more clever when he says it.
It's about time people stop licking each other's assholes and be honest.
Intelligent Design is a ludicrous cop-out rooted in the fact that religion is fighting a desperately losing battle against logic and intelligence.

xxJonxx

It isn't an idea. It is a fact.
I will laugh at someone discussing the pros of intelligent design just as quickly as I would laugh at an 8 year old who told me that 4+8=48.

Except the 8 year old is probably a lot more clever when he says it.
It's about time people stop licking each other's assholes and be honest.
Intelligent Design is a ludicrous cop-out rooted in the fact that religion is fighting a desperately losing battle against logic and intelligence.

I agree that Religion is losing the war. Also Intelligent Design is creationism in disguised.

Onasi

Religion and Science can never co-exist I learned that in class. The reason is that Science disproves the idea that God existed and created the world. Natural Selection and Evolution have been proven. Religion cannot prove that Science is fake.

Science can't prove anything true or false about Religion because Religion is rooted in faith and otherworldly laws.

If you take the holy book literally than yes. Science has proven religion wrong. We can't prove God(s) because if they are divine then by definition they are not bound by what humans consider fact or science. They are beings that work outside the laws of physics.

Intelligent Design is Creationism with a more sophisticated name. It is not science in any way, shape, or form. The U.S. Supreme Court ruled that Intelligent Design was not science and no scientist takes any of their improvable "Facts" seriously and neither should anyone else.

Here:

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Thunderf00t can tell you more.

very differentiable
Awards
Then why would some want to push this Since we can make no claims of anything outside or higher then existence, to me it's a panic reaction to the less gaps a god has to fill and increasing secularisation, bu i want to hear what you think.

Non-Faustian

Is this really what passes for intelligent discussion here? Cussing and calling things “retarded” just on the merit of what the implications of an idea is rather than based on what the idea itself is? Anyone here who has equated Intelligent Design (ID) with Creationism is either completely ignorant of what ID is or what Creationism is, because they are not the same thing by any stretch of the imagination.

Creationism is the belief that God, as defined in the Judeo-Christian scriptures (it would be dishonest to call it just one book) created the universe in the course of six twenty-four hour days and it all happened for all intents and purposes exactly as depicted in the opening chapters of the book of Genesis, no ifs and or buts about it. (really brief description but there are an estimated three bibles in every American home on average so I'm sure doing more research on the subject shouldn't be difficult)

Intelligent Design is the theory that design, intended purpose, can be scientifically discerned to be either present in an object or not present in an object or event. You know that a combustion engine is designed, right? Well how could you tell if it was designed if you were an alien from another planet coming upon the ruins of a long since extinct human civilization? You could tell because, assuming all of human experience can say anything about the universe at large (which is a philosophical claim that makes science a viable source of truth), you know that left to it's own devices the universe doesn't produce the kind of complexity and purpose we would find in a functioning combustion engine.

Show me an engine made out of blind erosion, show me a guitar amp that came out chemicals swishing around in the vastness of the sea. You cannot because it doesn't happen, these kinds of objects have only been shown to be produced by the efforts of an intelligent, thinking mind and that is the core of Intelligent Design, we use this every day of our lives when we see books open on a table in a library and infer from it that somebody has already claimed that seat, when the bed you left in a mess has been fixed back into proper place by the time you get home from school or work. When crime scene investigators take the evidence and conclude whether or not death was caused by the intelligent mind of a murderer or by the mindless force of gravity pulling a clumsy persons forehead just too hard against the sidewalk for them to survive it.

So all of you saying ID is unscientific or that it is creationism in disguise are completely ignorant of the subject because we know that ID is in fact incredibly practical, useful and verified time and time again. What the controversy surrounds is the claim that living organisms have the same level of complexity and intent in them that a computer code would have or that an engine would, heck a simple dresser has complexity in the design of it's drawers and handles and general construction.

If it does it would logically follow based on observation that living organisms had a designer, ID doesn't say anything about what the designer is, if its personally or impersonal, if it's a God or if it's gods or if it's a hyper intelligent race of aliens, it doesn't say if the designer is in any way shape or form moral or expresses any form of morality, it doesn't cover theology or philosophy in anyway shape or form.

Any questionsm or criticisms?

Gildragon

Theatre Messiah
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
as I was hoping is obvious Intelligent design and creationism are actually NOT THE SAME THING. so don't go religion bashing for ID being pushed.

The Discovery Institute said:
In reality, there are a variety of reasons why ID should not be confused with creationism:

1. "Intelligent Design Creationism" is a pejorative term coined by some Darwinists to attack intelligent design; it is not a neutral label of the intelligent design movement.

Scientists and scholars supportive of intelligent design do not describe themselves as "intelligent design creationists." Indeed, intelligent design scholars do not regard intelligent design theory as a form of creationism. Therefore to employ the term "intelligent design creationism" is inaccurate, inappropriate, and tendentious, especially on the part of scholars and journalists who are striving to be fair. "Intelligent design creationism" is not a neutral description of intelligent design theory. It is a polemical label created for rhetorical purposes. "Intelligent design" is the proper neutral description of the theory.

2. Unlike creationism, intelligent design is based on science, not sacred texts.

Creationism is focused on defending a literal reading of the Genesis account, usually including the creation of the earth by the Biblical God a few thousand years ago. Unlike creationism, the scientific theory of intelligent design is agnostic regarding the source of design and has no commitment to defending Genesis, the Bible or any other sacred text. Instead, intelligent design theory is an effort to empirically detect whether the "apparent design" in nature observed by biologists is genuine design (the product of an organizing intelligence) or is simply the product of chance and mechanical natural laws. This effort to detect design in nature is being adopted by a growing number of biologists, biochemists, physicists, mathematicians, and philosophers of science at American colleges and universities. Scholars who adopt a design approach include biochemist Michael Behe of Lehigh University, microbiologist Scott Minnich at the University of Idaho, and mathematician William Dembski at Baylor University. (3)

3. Creationists know that intelligent design theory is not creationism.

The two most prominent creationist groups, Answers in Genesis Ministries (AIG) and Institute for Creation Research (ICR) have criticized the intelligent design movement (IDM) because design theory, unlike creationism, does not seek to defend the Biblical account of creation. AIG specifically complained about IDM’s "refusal to identify the Designer with the Biblical God" and noted that "philosophically and theologically the leading lights of the ID movement form an eclectic group." Indeed, according to AIG, "many prominent figures in the IDM reject or are hostile to Biblical creation, especially the notion of recent creation…." (4) Likewise, ICR has criticized ID for not employing "the Biblical method," concluding that "Design is not enough!" (5) Creationist groups like AIG and ICR clearly understand that intelligent design is not the same thing as creationism.

4. Like Darwinism, design theory may have implications for religion, but these implications are distinct from its scientific program.

Intelligent design theory may hold implications for fields outside of science such as theology, ethics, and philosophy. But such implications are distinct from intelligent design as a scientific research program. In this matter intelligent design theory is no different than the theory of evolution. Leading Darwinists routinely try to draw out theological and cultural implications from the theory of evolution. Oxford’s Richard Dawkins, for example, claims that Darwin "made it possible to be an intellectually fulfilled atheist." (6) Harvard’s E.O. Wilson employs Darwinian biology to deconstruct religion and the arts. (7) Other Darwinists try to elicit positive implications for religion from Darwin’s theory. The pro-evolution National Center for Science Education (NCSE) has organized a "Faith Network" to promote the study of evolution in churches. Eugenie Scott, executive director of the NCSE, acknowledges that the purpose of the group’s "clergy outreach program" is "to try to encourage members of the practicing clergy to address the issue of Evolution in Sunday schools and adult Bible classes" and to get church members to talk about "the theological implications of evolution." (8) The NCSE’s "Faith Network Director" even claims that "Darwin’s theory of evolution…has, for those open to the possibilities, expanded our notions of God." (9) If Darwinists have the right to explore the cultural and theological implications of Darwin’s theory without disqualifying Darwinism as science, then ID-inspired discussions in the social sciences and the humanities clearly do not disqualify design as a scientific theory.

5. Fair-minded critics recognize the difference between intelligent design and creationism.

Scholars and science writers who are willing to explore the evidence for themselves are coming to the conclusion that intelligent design is different from creationism. As mentioned earlier, historian of science Ronald Numbers has acknowledged the distinction between ID and creationism. So has science writer Robert Wright, writing in Time magazine: "Critics of ID, which has been billed in the press as new and sophisticated, say it's just creationism in disguise. If so it's a good disguise. Creationists believe that God made current life-forms from scratch. The ID movement takes no position on how life got here, and many adherents believe in evolution. Some even grant a role to the evolutionary engine posited by Darwin: natural selection. They just deny that natural selection alone could have driven life all the way from pond scum to us." (10)

Whatever problems the theory of intelligent design may have, it should be allowed to rise or fall on its own merits, not on the merits of some other theory.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

very differentiable
Awards
Comparing life, chemical factories in essence, to a combustion engine. The difference? Cells can live on their own, pistons by themselves are of no use, big difference. Not only can we miss certain parts (kidney, only need one and the liver can be rmoved for 90% which will still regenerate). Also, Probability is not involved in evolution, though it is in abiogenesis but the odds still aren't impossible, natural selection causes that only beneficial mutations can exist, that is no design, that's cruelty of nature in those lacking the mutation.

Science is defined by empirism, falsifiability and reason, you clearly do not understand what the word truely means. Still more easily debunked claims?

Non-Faustian

Comparing life, chemical factories in essence, to a combustion engine. The difference? Cells can live on their own, pistons by themselves are of no use, big difference. Not only can we miss certain parts (kidney, only need one and the liver can be rmoved for 90% which will still regenerate). Also, Probability is not involved in evolution, though it is in abiogenesis but the odds still aren't impossible, natural selection causes that only beneficial mutations can exist, that is no design, that's cruelty of nature in those lacking the mutation.

Still more easily debunked claims?

Okay so the human body has a level of versatility and complexity greater than that of a combustion engine? thats really all I got from your response and I would argue things of that level of complexity only exist by the effort of an intelligent mind. I fail to see how you refuted the idea that life bears indication of design in its complexity. The human DNA code alone is far more advanced than any computer code we have ever written. You describe life to chemical facotires, name one factory that has ever come togethor by the random conglomeration of elements. There are so many different kinds of cells in the human body with discernable purposes and jobs jsut like the various workers in a facotry. Complex and organized results do not come out of blind, disorganized processes.

Furthermore jsut assuming evolution and reexplaining natural salection to me doesnt prove you rpoint it just shows you assume its truth and are restating what natural selection is. Saying something is true and actually demonstrrating it is true are two very different things.

Science is defined by empirism, falsifiability and reason, you clearly do not understand what the word truely means. Still more easily debunked claims?

Empiricism
Reliance on experience as the source of ideas and knowledge. More specifically, empiricism is the epistemological theory that genuine information about the world must be acquired by a posteriori means, so that nothing can be thought without first being sensed

We have not observed blind natural processes produce anything as complex as guitar amp or a combustion engine or anything that contains meaningful information such as a novel or in a computer code

Reason
The intellectual ability to apprehend the truth cognitively, either immediately in intuition, or by means of a process of inference.

If objects like the above only come into existence by the will or effort of an intelligent mind it would logically follow that other objects of similar or even of higher levles of complexity would also be the reulst of an intelligent mind.

Life features that kind of complexity and then some. In fact biological structures and mechanisms are arguably the msot advanced systems in the known universe.

Therefore it follows that Life is reasonably inferable to be intelligently designed by an intelligent mind.

Falsafiability
A property of any proposition for which it is possible to specify a set of circumstances the occurrence of which would demonstrate that the proposition is false.

Show me an object produced by blind natural processes that clearly contains the same or even higher levels of complexity as a computer code, a guitar amp, a combustion engine, a great novel, a cabinet or really most man made things and the desighn inference can be demonstrated as not necesarily true.

It looks like it fits your definition science, how abou that.

Onasi

ID and Creationism are the same damn thing. The discovery institute, although it says it isn't backed by religion, is pushing to prove the God of the bible.

Every single argument they put up was refuted by actual scientists. There aren't any scientists in the discovery institute. They are lawyers, teachers, and other non scientific careers.

They combine different fields of science together and ask for an impossible explanation to a question that doesn't make any sense to any intelligent person.

ID text books go against proven science; ID uses refuted out of date arguments and spread misinformation, and is a mockery of actual science.

YouTube - Why do people laugh at creationists? (part 30)

The Intelligent Design Text book "Of Pandas and People" states the following:

Creation means the various forms of life began abruptly through the agency of an intelligent creator with their distinctive features already intact.

Later in a republishing of the Intelligent Design text book Of Pandas and People it states

Intelligent Designs means the various forms of life began abruptly through the agency of an intelligent creator with their distinctive features already intact.

The discovery institute made the text book. Intelligent design is the same as creation.

Help Blunty cure stupid. Think next time.

Last edited:

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
Is this really what passes for intelligent discussion here? Cussing and calling things “retarded” just on the merit of what the implications of an idea is rather than based on what the idea itself is? Anyone here who has equated Intelligent Design (ID) with Creationism is either completely ignorant of what ID is or what Creationism is, because they are not the same thing by any stretch of the imagination.

My, aren't we riding in on our high horse.

Creationism is the belief that God, as defined in the Judeo-Christian scriptures (it would be dishonest to call it just one book) created the universe in the course of six twenty-four hour days and it all happened for all intents and purposes exactly as depicted in the opening chapters of the book of Genesis, no ifs and or buts about it. (really brief description but there are an estimated three bibles in every American home on average so I'm sure doing more research on the subject shouldn't be difficult)

Minor correction, there are things such as Young Earth creationism and Old Earth creationism. What you just described is the most extreme version of Young Earth creationism, but it's far from the only one.

Intelligent Design is the theory that design, intended purpose, can be scientifically discerned to be either present in an object or not present in an object or event.

"There's a difference of opinion about how important this debate [advocating intelligent design] is. What I always say is that it's not just scientific theory. The question is best understood as: Is God real or imaginary? (Phillip Johnson, "The Search for Intelligent Design in the Universe", Silicon Valley Magazine, 9 Jan. 2000.) "

""We are taking an intuition most people have [the belief in God] and making it a scientific and academic enterprise. We are removing the most important cultural roadblock to accepting the role of God as creator. (Phillip Johnson, "Enlisting Science to Find the Fingerprints of a Creator", LA Times, 25 Mar. 2001.) "

"Our strategy has been to change the subject a bit so that we can get the issue of intelligent design, which really means the reality of God, before the academic world and into the schools (P. Johnson 2003)."

"Father's words, my studies, and my prayers convinced me that I should devote my life to destroying Darwinism, just as many of my fellow Unificationists had already devoted their lives to destroying Marxism. When Father chose me (along with about a dozen other seminary graduates) to enter a Ph.D. program in 1978, I welcomed the opportunity to prepare myself for battle (J. Wells n.d.)."

"If we take seriously the word-flesh Christology of Chalcedon (i.e. the doctrine that Christ is fully human and fully divine) and view Christ as the telos toward which God is drawing the whole of creation, then any view of the sciences that leaves Christ out of the picture must be seen as fundamentally deficient. (William Dembski, Intelligent Design: The Bridge Between Science & Theology, Downers Grove, InterVarsity Press, 1999.) "

"Intelligent design is just the Logos theology of John's Gospel restated in the idiom of information theory (Dembski 1999, 84). "

These are quotes from the movement's founders and leaders, by the way.

A couple of things, sir. First off, let us define theory:

"In the sciences generally, a scientific theory (the same as an empirical theory) is constructed from elementary theorems that consist in empirical data about observable phenomena. A scientific theory is used as a plausible general principle or body of principles offered to explain a phenomenon.[1]" - Wikipedia

The argument "is design not obvious" does *not* a theory make, regardless of the truth behind the question.

Secondly, nobody has claimed creationism and intelligent design are exactly the same thing. But it'd be foolish indeed to deny their common root. Regardless of how you personally view ID, the concept itself is merely creationism's second attempt of ingraining itself in our schools (by removing God and religion from itself), and our courts have rightly determined it so.

You know that a combustion engine is designed, right? Well how could you tell if it was designed if you were an alien from another planet coming upon the ruins of a long since extinct human civilization? You could tell because, assuming all of human experience can say anything about the universe at large (which is a philosophical claim that makes science a viable source of truth), you know that left to it's own devices the universe doesn't produce the kind of complexity and purpose we would find in a functioning combustion engine.

Show me an engine made out of blind erosion, show me a guitar amp that came out chemicals swishing around in the vastness of the sea. You cannot because it doesn't happen, these kinds of objects have only been shown to be produced by the efforts of an intelligent, thinking mind and that is the core of Intelligent Design, we use this every day of our lives when we see books open on a table in a library and infer from it that somebody has already claimed that seat, when the bed you left in a mess has been fixed back into proper place by the time you get home from school or work. When crime scene investigators take the evidence and conclude whether or not death was caused by the intelligent mind of a murderer or by the mindless force of gravity pulling a clumsy persons forehead just too hard against the sidewalk for them to survive it.

Again, a couple of things. Firstly, you seem to be laboring under the delusion that complexity indicates design. You could not be further from the truth. Ask any civil engineer, or any architect: they will tell that that complexity indicates trial and error; simplicity indicates design.

Cave formation, weather patterns, molecules, spiderwebs; all incredibly complex things that form naturally.

So all of you saying ID is unscientific or that it is creationism in disguise are completely ignorant of the subject because we know that ID is in fact incredibly practical, useful and verified time and time again. What the controversy surrounds is the claim that living organisms have the same level of complexity and intent in them that a computer code would have or that an engine would, heck a simple dresser has complexity in the design of it's drawers and handles and general construction.

Practical? Useful? Verified? Please, do elaborate.

If it does it would logically follow based on observation that living organisms had a designer, ID doesn't say anything about what the designer is, if its personally or impersonal, if it's a God or if it's gods or if it's a hyper intelligent race of aliens, it doesn't say if the designer is in any way shape or form moral or expresses any form of morality, it doesn't cover theology or philosophy in anyway shape or form.

Any questionsm or criticisms?

Plenty of them, but let's see where this leads, my friend.

Non-Faustian

My, aren't we riding in on our high horse

Okay so what if I am, the relevance of calling me arrogant is what? I would posit that the majority of posts in this topic have boiled down to base, “I disagree so it's wrong and everyone who thinks it's right is stupid” comments and considering that the context of this forum is serious discussion trying to smack people's hands a bit (so to speak) I don't think is that inappropriate.

Minor correction, there are things such as Young Earth creationism and Old Earth creationism. What you just described is the most extreme version of Young Earth creationism, but it's far from the only one.

Alright granted, I did neglect to mention OEC, but as far as what I described being the most extreme version of YEC, I don't know of any other form that YEC takes.

"There's a difference of opinion about how important this debate [advocating intelligent design] is. What I always say is that it's not just scientific theory. The question is best understood as: Is God real or imaginary?

Okay so Mr. Johnson clearly states here that this is his subjective opinion of it. It doesn't state what ID is it states what Mr Johnsons opinion of the implication of ID.

"We are taking an intuition most people have [the belief in God] and making it a scientific and academic enterprise. We are removing the most important cultural roadblock to accepting the role of God as creator.

"Our strategy has been to change the subject a bit so that we can get the issue of intelligent design, which really means the reality of God, before the academic world and into the schools

"Father's words, my studies, and my prayers convinced me that I should devote my life to destroying Darwinism, just as many of my fellow Unificationists had already devoted their lives to destroying Marxism. When Father chose me (along with about a dozen other seminary graduates) to enter a Ph.D. program in 1978, I welcomed the opportunity to prepare myself for battle

Okay this is exposing the motives of at least Mr. Johnson and Mr. Wells or what he thinks the motives of it are. Stephen Hawking has stated that he hopes that his work with physics will help us understand the mind of God while Steven Weinberg hopes to use it to destroy religion, the motivation isn't what is important it's the science itself. The fundamental groundwork for most of the modern scientific fields were laid by creationist Christians for the purpose of learning about God by exploring his creation. Does their motive invalidate the science they did?

"If we take seriously the word-flesh Christology of Chalcedon (i.e. the doctrine that Christ is fully human and fully divine) and view Christ as the telos toward which God is drawing the whole of creation, then any view of the sciences that leaves Christ out of the picture must be seen as fundamentally deficient.

"Intelligent design is just the Logos theology of John's Gospel restated in the idiom of information theory

Do you realize where these two quotes come from?
Intelligent Design: The Bridge Between Science & Theology

A book with the purpose of expounding upon the theological implication and meanings of ID in the context of Christianity. Furthermore if Christianity is true than reality should reflect and mesh with that and the point being a harmonization of ID and Christian theology. I fail to see why these quotes have any relevance.

In the sciences generally, a scientific theory (the same as an empirical theory) is constructed from elementary theorems that consist in empirical data about observable phenomena. A scientific theory is used as a plausible general principle or body of principles offered to explain a phenomenon

I fail to see how what I have described fails to meet this standard, could you elaborate exactly what would be needed and how I have not presented it? Maybe give specific examples of what would be necessary to fulfill the requirements that I am failing to take into account.

and our courts have rightly determined it so.

Because truth is legislated, right? We can all decide that evolution isnt a scientific theory but would you say that would mean it isnt?

Again, a couple of things. Firstly, you seem to be laboring under the delusion that complexity indicates design. You could not be further from the truth. Ask any civil engineer, or any architect: they will tell that that complexity indicates trial and error; simplicity indicates design.

I mean complexity in the context of specific purposeful function and information. A computer code for example contains understandable, meaningful and purposeful information. We only see that kind of information in “nature” in genetic code where the placement and usage of T,A,C and G actually matters for the execution of a function and the designated conglomerate of the “letters” actually produces meaningful and varying results depending on how they are organized and they are organized in such a way to make use of these

Cave formation, weather patterns, molecules, spiderwebs; all incredibly complex things that form naturally.

Last I checked a spider web had to be made by a spider. Cave formations, molecules and weather patterns do not contain specific information or specific function with a purpose. When hydrogen bonds with oxygen it doesn't do so for the purpose of making water they combine and water is the result, blind cause and effect. It doesn't exhibit specific purpose. The spider web does, it is a complex entity that a spider creates fro the purpose of catching prey.

Practical? Useful? Verified? Please, do elaborate.

My example of determining if a death was a murder through crime scene investigation if the death was designed, according to an intelligent will, or pure accident?

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
Okay so what if I am, the relevance of calling me arrogant is what? I would posit that the majority of posts in this topic have boiled down to base, “I disagree so it's wrong and everyone who thinks it's right is stupid” comments and considering that the context of this forum is serious discussion trying to smack people's hands a bit (so to speak) I don't think is that inappropriate.

You do realize that these topics have gone on for years and years in these forums, right? Some people are simply tired of the same old arguments over and over.

Alright granted, I did neglect to mention OEC, but as far as what I described being the most extreme version of YEC, I don't know of any other form that YEC takes.

Officially? You have to remember many Christians interpret parts of the Genesis literally and some metaphorically. some interpret the creation story literally and the Noah's Ark story metaphorically, or viceversa. So you have potentially dozens, or perhaps hundreds, of different interpretations there.

Okay so Mr. Johnson clearly states here that this is his subjective opinion of it. It doesn't state what ID is it states what Mr Johnsons opinion of the implication of ID.

Okay this is exposing the motives of at least Mr. Johnson and Mr. Wells or what he thinks the motives of it are. Stephen Hawking has stated that he hopes that his work with physics will help us understand the mind of God while Steven Weinberg hopes to use it to destroy religion, the motivation isn't what is important it's the science itself. The fundamental groundwork for most of the modern scientific fields were laid by creationist Christians for the purpose of learning about God by exploring his creation. Does their motive invalidate the science they did?

Do you realize where these two quotes come from?
Intelligent Design: The Bridge Between Science & Theology

A book with the purpose of expounding upon the theological implication and meanings of ID in the context of Christianity. Furthermore if Christianity is true than reality should reflect and mesh with that and the point being a harmonization of ID and Christian theology. I fail to see why these quotes have any relevance

Don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying ID has less merit because of this. I'm fully aware that that is not how reality works. I merely meant to point out that your view of ID as strictly scientific is... not the most popular, shall we say.

How is this relevant? Well, the arguments linking creationism to ID have merit because, according to its leaders, they are the same thing.

Is ID true or false? I don't know, I certainly don't believe so. But modern ID is undeniably a continuation of creationism.

I fail to see how what I have described fails to meet this standard, could you elaborate exactly what would be needed and how I have not presented it? Maybe give specific examples of what would be necessary to fulfill the requirements that I am failing to take into account.

Objective data. I'm not going to argue your motor example here (we're already doing that), but it's a subjective example. Positive ID, objective empiric data.

Because truth is legislated, right? We can all decide that evolution isnt a scientific theory but would you say that would mean it isnt?

Courts can be wrong, quite true. But experts on ID have argued their case.

There are some general guidelines scientists follow, such as submitting their work up for peer review. ID proponents do not do so. Theories must be falsifiable: how do you prove ID wrong? And very importantly, it must, must change itself in light of new data, and more than that, it must be open to it. What's the last change to ID that has been done?

I mean complexity in the context of specific purposeful function and information. A computer code for example contains understandable, meaningful and purposeful information. We only see that kind of information in “nature” in genetic code where the placement and usage of T,A,C and G actually matters for the execution of a function and the designated conglomerate of the “letters” actually produces meaningful and varying results depending on how they are organized and they are organized in such a way to make use of these

And a great deal of it is junk DNA. In a computer code, programmers (correct me if I'm wrong, since I'm not one) add no useless information. And while junk DNA does have its use, a lot of it is simply white noise.

Complexity indicates trial and error. the more complex something is, the more errors were made to achieve it.

Last I checked a spider web had to be made by a spider.

A non-intelligent one, yes. The ones that can't do it properly die off. We call it natural selection.

Cave formations, molecules and weather patterns do not contain specific information or specific function with a purpose. When hydrogen bonds with oxygen it doesn't do so for the purpose of making water they combine and water is the result, blind cause and effect. It doesn't exhibit specific purpose. The spider web does, it is a complex entity that a spider creates fro the purpose of catching prey.

You define complexity as the capacity to contain information?

Before I tackle this, you are aware that this is an argument from incredulity, right? "I do not know how complexity could've arisen naturally, so therefore it couldn't have"?

I want to make something clear, thougy. We're talking about evolution, and *not* abiogenesis, right? Because speciation, genetic drift, natural selections, beneficial mutations and the sort have already been observed. This isn't up to debate; the flu vaccine they give you is based on our knowledge of evolution. Modern medicine is based on evolution, Biology's guiding principle is evolution (akin to physics and gravity). I assume you're arguing common descent, because evolution itself is what makes the medicines you drink and pesticides you use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back