• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Intellectual and Physical Love

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

TwilightSora

I'm back? Maybe.
Website
s9.invisionfree.com
For some time, I have been thinking this through. In my mind, from what I see and feel, I propose that there are two kinds of love. These two being intellectual and physical love. Intellectual love is not bound by race, gender, or body at all. It is loving a person for what and how they think. You love how they express themselves through their words. Physical love is obviously, loving someone for their sexual attraction. You love their body and seek to take sexual action with it.

Now, I have stated there are two kinds of love. So then, what makes true love? The love you marry someone for could be described as true love. Does it take intellectual love, physical love, or both to truly “love” someone? Now, from what I see in current day society, physical love by far exceeds the intellectual kind, and people marry over it all the time.

Another question, more specifically aimed at the religious folks out there. I am intellectually in love with a man. We are so captivated in our love with each other that we live the rest of our days together, sharing no desire for sexual actions. Is that wrong? Do you think being intellectually in love with someone goes against your religion, if say the person is of the same sex?

Now, you just read that last paragraph and I expect you actually thought about it. If you think that it’s not wrong to intellectually love someone, then why is it so wrong to physically love them? Why is it so wrong to take your love and push it forward? Why is it wrong, if you love this being, to share every part of yourself with them? Does your god damn me, or anyone else, for wanting this?

I’d like you to *think* before you post in my thread. Thoroughly explain your opinions if you want others to look at them with validity. Otherwise, you have no business being in my thread or in this forum.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
Here's the snag. Some women thing true love is only emotional. That is wrong. Without a physical element, the whole thing falls apart.

Just wanted to add my 2 1/2 cents.

Katattack

Thank You Jonathan Larson
Recounting my exploits as an Anarchist. =D
Yeah... I've read an article in my local newspaper (Don't know how reliable it actually is) stating that men require two to three times more physical attention than gals to function properly.

Sooner or later, the physical is going to come up, regardless of gender.

However. Love who ever you want. Usually, though, doesn't the emotional lead to the physical anyhow?

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
... not really. One usually notes that the chick is hot, so one approaches her.

Thelonepickle

I don't like bugs!
Aww. Luff.

<333 Yay for TwilightSora.

o.o

One leads to the other, I have no problem with homosexuality, so I think you can do whatever you want, but, to answer your question...

I'm assuming that Christians'll find a way to condemn you. Not to sound negative. I'm not even sure why - the bible only says that SODOMY is bad, yes?

I wouldn't know. ._. I haven't read it. ._.

Anyway, I think one leads to the other, and good luck to you, either way.

Aww. Luff.

<_</Bubbles/>_>

TwilightSora said:
Now, you just read that last paragraph and I expect you actually thought about it. If you think that it’s not wrong to intellectually love someone, then why is it so wrong to physically love them? Why is it so wrong to take your love and push it forward? Why is it wrong, if you love this being, to share every part of yourself with them? Does your god damn me, or anyone else, for wanting this?

No God doesn't damn you, in fact the Lord may applaud you. Who knows what God thinks about it, if the entity even exists. =/

There's nothing wrong at all with that feeling because anything that one could say as opposition to that view, could easily be said to apply a different "standard" to whatever they so choose. And that's not fair and completely lacking of any moral thought. You can't say it would be alright if that circumstance involved an opposite sex instead of the same obviously. Too bad we as people do it anyway.

Anyway for me personally, when I think about or see a relationship of that nature, something arises within my feelings, an intangible if you will, that I can't really explain, that just disgusts me, and since that is the case I could never be in love with the same sex. Its just not me.

Lunar Knight

American Person
Physical attraction is what sparks interest to a person. After you're aquainted, than intellectual love may begin to develop if the couple is willing to rather than just gaze at one another's beauty.

I believe there's nothing wrong with intellectual love with the same gender. Once that develops into something more, I have no comment.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
Whatever floats your boat. Live and let live, I say.

Thelonepickle

I don't like bugs!
I don't really get that, though, that intangible, as you put it. If beauty is only skin-deep, why is it even part of love? Aren't you always preaching that it's what's on the INSIDE that counts?

You can't say, "No, only look on the inside, but make sure you're not the same (Insert: race, gender, social standard, etc)."

Then why in this case? Why is it different? You say it's not 'natural,' which is stupid, because the ancient Greeks praised the beauty of the male body, and had homosexuality, meaning BC. As in, it's been going on forever, and if that's your definition of natural, then homosexuality meets it.

Women once were shunned for wearing pants. ._. But it's a natural thing now. Is this different?

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
May I add a few more types of love? (even though some might fall under the category of Intellectual)

Phileo/Brotherly Love: The love you have for a friend or family member in a way that you love being around them and feel close to them, without having a sexual/romantic relationship.

Agape/Undying Love: The kind of love that a mother has for her child, as in it doesn't matter what happens or where he goes, she will always love him no matter what he does or happens.

Here's the snag. Some women thing true love is only emotional. That is wrong. Without a physical element, the whole thing falls apart.

Just wanted to add my 2 1/2 cents.

This is true. Despite the noble acts of "I'll date anyone because I look for personality not looks" everyone knows that I would never date someone like this...regardless of the personality:
fat-girls-in-bikinis.jpg

There has to be a sexual attraction, or the human race would not exist.

Awards
My God, that woman on the left is Dawn French (woman from Terry's Chocolate range adverts)! XD

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:DawnFrenchVicarofDibley.jpg

OMGWTF, where is her left hand going!? Dirty slag! XDDDDD I kid, I kid...

Now, getting back to the subject at hand, if physical contact was necessary , then how is it possible for people to fall in love when they haven't even met? I know I'll probably recieve the flaming of a lifetime, but people HAVE actually fallen in love over the internet with nothing but one anothers word to go on as far as appearances go.

However, although I do believe it is possible to FALL in love without actual physical contact, doubtless it is necessary in maintaining such a bond. Imagination can only take a relationship so far.

╬ProperArtist╬

Instantly Classic
Awards
Website
the13thmember.deviantart.com
No matter how you slice it really, even if one were to say they look only for personality, that element of physical attraction is gonna come up somewhere along the line, like Phoniex said or else the relationship will fall apart. Why else do you think most girls who complain about getting the wrong type of guy, who complain about always being treated badly date the same kinda guys over and over again. The reason is because that element of physical attraction still comes into play. Its sad to say but one just can't see it that way, no matter how hard one tries its gonna come up eventually. Sad to see that we as people see it that way, but thats one of the many things that makes us human.

Its the same with internet relationships, one may find great personality and even without seeing what said person looks like, its that element of wondering if they are gorgeous and/or hot....and if they're not hot then your attitude towards them changes drasticly.

it happens...

it would be awesome if attraction wasn't that way but thats life....what can ya do?..

Dark-Disciple

The 5th Apocalyptic Rider
Riding with Famine, Death, Pestilence and Destruct
Well, Let me tell you my views on True love.

True love would be that of which combines both of the kinds of love you greatlly explain, but just, there is always something else.

To be willing to pass 9 months of pain and then place your life in the line for someone. That's true love.

To be willing to give up your time for another person. That is true love. This being because time if the greatest gift you hold in this earth. We are all going to die sooner or later, so every minute you give someone, is like giving them a part of your life. You can allways make more money, but you can never make more time.

To be willing to die besides the person you so strongly feel about; to be there for support, even when everything is down. That my friend is true love.

Of all the ones above, i can say that maybe, the last one might be the most difficult one of all. Specially because the first one has to do with unconditional love. This is a feeling easily conceived, but the last one takes true courage to express.

This being because, it's easy to fight when everything's right,
And you're mad with the thrill and the glory.
It's a different song when everything's wrong,
When you're feeling infernally mortal.
It is the man who can meet despair and defeat
With a cheer, there's the man of God's choosing.
The man who can fight to heaven's own height
is the man who can fight when he's losing.

There's always those who drift out in the deserts of doubt,
And some who in brutishness wallow;
There are others, I know, who in piety go,
Because of the heaven to follow.

Life without love is not worth living at all. That's why we are here. That's the true reason of why we are here, to know that because we breathed, a life rested easyer.
And I must say that we should not just limit ourselves to love only because of attraction, but also for the individual the other is. The person inside the shell.

I do believe that True love can't really be characterized due to the fact that if you start to think in depth about it, it all connects . Love can be such an inspirable emotion. As strong as hate is for motivation...

Hopefully my views on such matter has been helpful for this conversation.

Last edited:

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
Never been in the situation. I'm assuming you can get over the ugliness, but I don't think you'd eventually be attracted to it.

Genin~Kizashi

people are animals, and thus posess certain animalistic instincts that cant be supressed. sexual lust is one of those instincts. it is possible to feel attracted to a person for their personality traits, but your sexual lust will always exist, and thus if you're not sexually attracted to the person, the emotional love will be overlooked.

Eikre

W.S.N.B.M./O.N.B.P.
Senior Leader's Course, Cold Lake Air Base, Albert
I believe that sexual lust can be suppressed, otherwise I wouldn't be a virgin ;P

On the flipped side of the coin, however, I believe that everyone desires a mix of both physical and intellectual love. Physical love can be to the extent of a kiss, but that would still be physical, no? But for "True" love to exist, both physical and intellectual loves must exist. For me personally, Intellectual love rates much higher than physical love, yet I do look for something attractive in a girl.

Funnily enough, the one woman I find who comes close to my personality is already twice my age. Bullocks.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
It can't be supressed. You can stop yourself from having sex, but you can't stop erections, can you?

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
Sexual urges will never leave you. They are a fundamental part of a human being.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back