• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Haley Joel Osment Comments on Kingdom Hearts 3

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
hemight have gotten a callsaying they need himto record some lines for the reCoded cut scenesfor KH 2.5 andthought they were talking about 3. the timing would be about right

Except he didn't receive the call; he made it. It was very clear - sometime after he heard about the official announcement at E3 2013, he made a call to whoever he usually communicates with for these games and discussed the topic of Kingdom Hearts 3 briefly.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
this guy is the only one who can voice Sora but despite this, he doesnt pretty much know of the series, "There's the gameboy one." you mean Chain of Memories right? nevertheless, i hope he return voicing Sora in 3 :redface:

I don't know...I think he's a bit more aware than most. His sister talked about how he hogged the games lol, so he's at least played KH1 and CoM (keep in mind he was pretty young himself so he played video games). Maybe KH2.

(And I know at least David Gallagher has tried to play the games...he never finished Re:CoM to reach Riku's story, though lol I don't blame him since Re:CoM is such a drag even I can't play it and CoM is one of my favorite titles in the series next to BBS and Re:coded...but he does play video games)

HJO was put on the spot, though. Pretty sure he was brain-farting on the details. It's like when you say DVD when you mean bluray lol

It's better than some of the other VA's. David Gallagher said, nearing the release of Dream Drop Distance, he recorded a line for Young Xehanort in an upcoming game. He was referring to Birth by Sleep, a game that had been released 2 years prior.

And personally I do not blame him for the confusion. It wasn't like they told him much about it, anyways. They just said he needed to record the line and he was plenty happy to because it was fun and he likes doing work for the series.

Keep in mind, when they're recording they don't get a very detailed explanation of what's going on. Ben Diskin even asked for one when he went in to record for Young Xehanort as his last exposure was years ago when he played KH2, and he said the staff just laughed at him.

Consider that they have other obligations in life as well and don't have time or probably care to get into the nitty-gritty details if they do manage to sit down and play through the games. Whatever's happening is happening for a reason, and that's really all they need to get by.

And let us not forget Brittany Snow who knew next to nothing about KH2. From her understanding of what she recorded, Roxas was the main character and she was something of a guide to him throughout the game as he tried to understand the mysteries surrounding his existence & the Keyblade. Of course, she wasn't off about that but this was when she was asked what Kingdom Hearts was about at the game's launch event.

Jadentheman

Bronze Member
Just to let you know that localization for the Final Fantasy games was going alongside it's development. So it's not a stretch to say that VA for KH3 starts asap alongside the JP VA. This way we get English trailers as soon as the JP ones show up too.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Just to let you know that localization for the Final Fantasy games was going alongside it's development. So it's not a stretch to say that VA for KH3 starts asap alongside the JP VA. This way we get English trailers as soon as the JP ones show up too.

Square Enix treats FF and KH differently, though. I would agree that it isn't a stretch to believe possible, but it's not something we should expect considering the history of this franchise.

RD Juggler

Awards
It's not impossible for Square to consider another VA for young Sora or the other kids now that the original VAs are older. Something that would make great use of HJO's adult voice is an extra quest or epilogue story when Sora is a full-fledged adult like the average FF hero.

About Sora becoming other people, he either meant his other role as Vanitas, or how Sora has almost as many copies as Xehanort. Big surprise if there's going to be another Sora expy in KH3.:rolleyes:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
It's not impossible for Square to consider another VA for young Sora or the other kids now that the original VAs are older. Something that would make great use of HJO's adult voice is an extra quest or epilogue story when Sora is a full-fledged adult like the average FF hero.

David Gallgher wouldn't need it, though. He sounds nearly the same as he did ten years ago. He's got the perfect voice lol

We rarely see KH1!Kairi, anyways, and when we did for Re:CoM she was played by Alyson Stoner...

About Sora becoming other people, he either meant his other role as Vanitas, or how Sora has almost as many copies as Xehanort. Big surprise if there's going to be another Sora expy in KH3.:rolleyes:

Pretty sure it was Vanitas and...idk if they count data!Sora as another Sora. xD

Bobizzle

David Gallgher wouldn't need it, though. He sounds nearly the same as he did ten years ago. He's got the perfect voice lol

We rarely see KH1!Kairi, anyways, and when we did for Re:CoM she was played by Alyson Stoner...

That's what I'm mainly curious about-who voices Kairi. I love Hayden Panettiere but her voice always seemed real mature when voicing Kairi in KH2-in the sense that you could tell she was in her mid 20's. Stoner's voice may be more fitting when portraying a 16 year old.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
That's what I'm mainly curious about-who voices Kairi. I love Hayden Panettiere but her voice always seemed real mature when voicing Kairi in KH2-in the sense that you could tell she was in her mid 20's. Stoner's voice may be more fitting when portraying a 16 year old.

Well, fun fact! Xion is voiced by Hayden Panettiere in KH3D! So, uh...In the end they both voice Kairi and Xion...because Disney is weird.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
Well, fun fact! Xion is voiced by Hayden Panettiere in KH3D! So, uh...In the end they both voice Kairi and Xion...because Disney is weird.

I heard the reason why Hayden was substituted by Alyson in some games was because of conflicting schedules? I always thought Hayden was always Disney's number-one choice when it comes to Kairi's voice, although I might be wrong.

Why she ended up voicing Xion for her five-word line in DDD instead of Alyson, though, I'm not sure.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I heard the reason why Hayden was substituted by Alyson in some games was because of conflicting schedules? But why Hayden ended up voicing Xion for her five-word line in DDD instead of Alyson, I'm not sure.

That was the common theory early on when Heroes was still going on, but since then it hasn't really made much sense. Alyson's voiced Kairi/Xion when they had more dialogue whereas Hayden did when they had less.

Year ago, Hayden also commented that she only wanted to do "big" games as well... but who knows what the real reason is.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
That was the common theory early on when Heroes was still going on, but since then it hasn't really made much sense. Alyson's voiced Kairi/Xion when they had more dialogue whereas Hayden did when they had less.

Year ago, Hayden also commented that she only wanted to do "big" games as well... but who knows what the real reason is.

Keep in mind that since 3D Hayden's landed the new hit show Nashville, so the schedule conflict thing still totally makes sense.

Of course, Hayden hasn't appeared in titles where the actors had to lip sync. So that's interesting. (her being absent from the Days film is odd, but they probably didn't want to bother) I'm very confident she'll be back for III.

I'm not sure if it's been brought up, but I'm surprised to see people saying they hope Osment will be in III as if there's any doubt? Like, it's better to acknowledge anything could happen but Osment was personally requested by Nomura to do the part. I think all
parties are committed to it. So yaaaay.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Why she ended up voicing Xion for her five-word line in DDD instead of Alyson, though, I'm not sure.

This isn't a reason, rather a better way to look at the situation. Originally in Japanese, Xion & Kairi are voiced by Risa Uchida for obvious reasons. With the localization, Hayden either said no or there was a scheduling conflict which created this silly little situation (Though in retrospect, SE/Disney made a good decision when localizing Days since Xion will probably be her own person by the end of KH3 but...anyways)

They way things are right now, it is probably fairly simple to interchange them because the idea is that Xion is physically modeled after Kairi (and we are probably supposed to just pretend it is all the same voice...though with how obsessive we are over VO, that is kind of impossible)

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I'm not sure if it's been brought up, but I'm surprised to see people saying they hope Osment will be in III as if there's any doubt? Like, it's better to acknowledge anything could happen but Osment was personally requested by Nomura to do the part. I think all
parties are committed to it. So yaaaay.

I don't think it has, but we've probably all been secretly wondering why people were coming in here acting as if we were freaking out that he won't return.

Lea

Awards
Website
joshtominus.com
HE CAME IN LIKE A WRECKING BALL. AND IT WASN'T JESSE THIS TIME!

Perhaps what they are planning to do is do the localization work while developing the game. It'd make sense so they could get started on lip sync for the English version and aim for a simultaneous worldwide release.

This is what I want to hope for

You're getting my hopes up. Must... not... be... hopeful...

Original Sin

Watching that clip almost got my hopes up. I remember reading somewhere that Nomura said KH3 development began immediately after Dream Drop was done, which would put KH3's development at 22 months already.

Still... I know better. I'm not getting excited until the first release date is announced. Then VERY excited once the second release date is announced :biggrin:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Watching that clip almost got my hopes up. I remember reading somewhere that Nomura said KH3 development began immediately after Dream Drop was done, which would put KH3's development at 22 months already.

If it did, they didn't dive straight into it. The team would have been put into training on how to develop for HD systems since they never have before (besides those who had been working on 1.5) and getting to know how the dev kits worked (since they weren't sent out until November 2012). They probably didn't get into the nitty gritty of it all until early 2013.

KHRULER

Awards
I did kinda think he didn't know what he was talking about when he said the one with the gameboy though he looked really excited when she brought up Kh3 so I guess he isn't clueless about the series and cares about it.

Bobizzle

I think Hayden Panettiere will return for KH3, but afterwards I'm not so sure. They may go with Alyson for future installments.

As long as David Gallagher and HJO still return it's all good. I have heard that Willa Holland may not voice Aqua anymore though...

Bobizzle

Where'd you hear that?

Hello Patrick
blank.gif
Thank you so much! Seriously it means a lot that you have sent me such a lovely message, I hardly get time to read through any of them, seeing as I have over 243 messages, however I only reply to the ones which really catch my eye. It really means a lot that you loved my role as Aqua, and I too did. It was a breath of fresh air to play that role, however I don't feel as if I would adapt to such a role now that I have embarked on a journey with other, more mature film roles, such as 'Tiger Eyes'. I really loved my time as Aqua, and cherish it for the rest of my life. Everyone is afraid at some point... But it's just up to us to pull through life and face our fears, and it really means the world that I have my fans backing me up all the way. I never knew how much fan backing I had until The O.C. finished, because I was only in that for a while, however I am looking forward to progressing with my acting career further
blank.gif

Honestly Patrick, a piece of advice for you, chase your dreams and aspirations, and LIFE IS NOT TOO SHORT! (Sorry but all of my friends on Facebook post annoying status's complaining how short life is) Life is wonderful and long, depending on how you take care of yourself and spend it. Take care of yourself Patrick
blank.gif
and I look forward to hearing from you.

Willa

Read more: [Birth by Sleep] "Missing Interview" with Willa Holland - General & Other Titles - KH13.com Forum - KH13.com, for KINGDOM HEARTS

Apparently that was posted on a different KH forum, and this poster claimed that that was an email Willa sent him in reagrds to voicing Aqua. She may have changed her mind since then though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back