• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Greetings from a newbi

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Elviriel

Hello guys. I´ve always heard about "KH" but never played the games. I just saw the trailer for "KH III" and it looks awesome. I currently own a PS4, PS3 and Nintendo DS... knowing this... where is a good place for me to start? I´ve read about the remix versions for PS3 and I am considering those as a starting point. When it comes to the DS (also considering to by a 3DS) is there a good place to start or is everything in order? As far as I can understad it the story itself is quite complicated.

I'm looking forward to start on a new (for me) adventure and I hope that my fellow members can lend a helping hand.
I guess I will be seeing you around the board.

:redface:

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Hi there! You've come to the right place! Since you have a PS3, I recommend you try Kingdom Hearts 1.5 first. It's where the story starts before things get complicated then more complicated.

Just to help you out:

Kingdom Hearts 1.5
Re: Chain of Memories
Kingdom Hearts II.5
358/2 Days [Originally it came on the DS, but you can watch the movie on the remix.]
Birth By Sleep [Originally it's the prequel to Kingdom Hearts 1.5]
Re: Coded [Originally it came on the DS, but you can watch the movie on the remix.]
Dream Drop Distance [You'll need a 3DS for it.]

Truthfully, you could start anywhere and eventually grasp the story. I hope this sort of helps you out and some might suggest a different order to you. :3

If you need help with anything on the forum, please check out the FAQ and if you still need help, just click on one us with purple or any color username on the forum. :D I hope you enjoy your time on KHI.

ImVentus

Awards
Nice to meet you welcome to the site:biggrin:. Although the remixes are in order of the games and in total there are 7 games. 1.5 HD Remix features Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts Re Chain Of Memories and Cinematic 358/2 Days while 2.5 HD features Kingdom Hearts 2, Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep and Kingdom hearts Re Coded. I however after playing the games so many times would recommend you to start with Birth By Sleep the prequel and then go with Kingdom Hearts, Re Chain Of Memories, 358/2 Days, Kingdom Hearts 2, Kingdom Hearts Re Coded and then 3D Dream Drop Distance. If you follow that timeline it won't be as confusing as it could be with only starting with Kingdom Hearts and leaving Birth By Sleep for later since Birth By Sleep holds a lot of important answers for the original.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Hi Elviriel, welcome to KHInsider.

With both HD Remixes already released and owning a PS3 you can literally experience 90% of the series from the get-go if you do opt for the HD Remixes.
Another fact speaking for the Remixes is that they include the Final Mix-versions of the main games, Kingdom Hearts (I), Kingdom Hearts II and Birth by Sleep. Extended versions of these games previously exclusive to Japan which provide a more complete experience.

For the order to experience the series in it would be best to start with the games in release order, which means starting with KH HD 1.5 Remix.
In there, you'll want to play Kingdom Hearts Final Mix first, which is the original that started it all back in 2002.
After that comes Re: Chain of Memories, which is a bridge game between Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts II and introduces some characters and plot points important for the further story.
Some people even tend to say that many of the deeper going problems (both in-story as well as in terms of complications for understanding) start with CoM.

Last but not least in 1.5 is Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days, which covers the entire period between Kingdom Hearts I and II (roughly a year) from the perspective of other important characters in the series. In fact, Re: Chain of Memories takes place during 358/2 Days and you'll easily see when.
From a story perspective it is however definitely better to start with Re: CoM, also since 358/2 Days was not remade into a playable game but a sort of HD cutscene movie.

If you want to play 358/2 Days as a game, you would need to get the original Nintendo DS-game (which btw also works on a 3DS).

Continuing then with HD 2.5 Remix, next game in line would be KH 2 Final Mix, where many open questions from KH I and Re: Chain of Memories are answered but in the process more and deeper running mysteries get unveiled. The Final Mix version of KH II also holds a great special secret ending in store that foreshadows Birth by Sleep, the next game in line to be adressed.

Birth by Sleep takes actually place ten years before the first KH, and helps to understand many of the workings of the KH series so far as well as finally revealing the main villain behind it all. The secret ending of BBS is not as bombastic as the one of KH II, but gives a great wink in which direction the series is headed and what can be expected in the future.

Last in line would be then Re: Coded, which takes place chronologically a week or so after KH II and gives the first substantial glimpses towards what awaits in the future.
This one however is, like 358/2 Days, a HD cutscene movie and if you want the game and actual gameplay you'll need the original DS-game.

So in short, the ideal order to play/follow the series is:
1. Kingdom Hearts Final Mix (included in 1.5 Remix)
2. Re: Chain of Memories (included in 1.5 Remix)
3. Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days (included in 1.5 Remix)
4. Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix ((included in 2.5 Remix)
5. Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep Final Mix (included in 2.5 Remix)
6. Re: Coded.

Some people advise to play in chronological order, meaning to start with Birth by Sleep, but that is not really recommendable because a) many of the "aha"-moments in Birth By Sleep connected to the rest of the series go either unnoticed or make no sense to new players who play it first and b) it could give false expectations concerning the protagonists of the series.
Birth by Sleeps three main characters are indeed important main characters in the series of their own, but the actual main protagonist of the series is Sora, who in BBS has only a minor (albeit important) role as a four year old kid.

Now, there's still one game left to address, and that's KH Dream Drop Distance which so far is exclusively for the Nintendo 3DS.
DDD takes place the farthest in the future of the timeline, after Re: Coded, and is thus the last title you should pay attention to when it comes to story.
In fact, DDD weaves together the all the parallel plotlines from the previous titles and acts as a sort of Prologue for KH III itself.

If you're truly considering getting a Nintendo 3DS you would be truly set to experience the whole series so far, as it can be done with a PS3 and 3DS in tandem.
That was quite long now, but I hope helpful nonetheless.

PS: Yes, the overaching story is considered to be quite complicated to understand, but the main reasons for that are that a) main series creator Tetsuya Nomura likes to make things "surprising" and thus tends to adds more story twists and vague concepts than necessary and b) only ca. 60% of crucial information for understanding the story can be gained by the games and their internal reports themselves. Around 40% of crucial facts are only found in japanese only Ultimania books and interviews with series creator Tetsuya Nomura.
Luckily our main site at KHInsider has an archive where most important Nomura interviews are available with translations. ;)

Anagram

Banned
Welcome to the forums!! I just recently came back myself. The collections are the best place to start the series. :smile:

Elviriel

Hello guys. Thank you so much for the warm welcome and for det in depth answers, they really helped. I´m planning to by the first remix for my PS3 next week. The 3DS might have to wait due to the fact that my mom and I are attending a Nightwish concert later this year and the tickets are quite expensive. But since I'm starting with the PS3 remixes I think I'm set for a while gaming wise. Thank you all so much yet again for the help.^^

Back