What's new

Welcome to Kingdom Hearts Insider

Join us now to get access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, and so, so much more. It's also quick and totally free, so what are you waiting for?

Ask question

Ask Questions and Get Answers from Our Community

Ask a Mod

Ask Questions from your staff

Contact Staff

If you need additional information or have a concern please contact us.

  • Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

    CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Football vs. The Arts



REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

rikubaka67

New member
Joined
May 17, 2005
Messages
221
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
31
Location
well, I'm in a dark alley with a big scary--oooo s
One thing that really annoys me is that my school shows more support for the football team than they do for the arts. Lots of people say that our high school musicals every year are almost professional, but we don't get much recognation from the school. The football team, on the other hand, is not the best, yet recieves more schoolwide support. In my mind, I believe that there should be a balance. No public school should hold football (or sports in general) over the arts, or hold the arts over sports. That's not fair!

What do you guys think?
 

Keybearer00

New member
Joined
Nov 1, 2005
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
31
Location
My own personal Hell
Its the same way every were you go my friend, people favor sports and those who play them. Yet they take the arts for granted and the modern society of the world shuns those who do the arts. They look down on them and are cast away from "The popular people" (or as me and my friends call them Jocks,preps, etc.)

I on the other hand prefer the arts to football or any sport for that matter, but I agree both things need to be treated equally.
 

shortythugsta

G0t anth1ng 2 say b1+ch ?
Joined
Jul 3, 2005
Messages
3,313
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
29
Location
in ur room wit ur mom go check!!
in my school the footbaqll team is not popular because tthey lose 2 much but they still recieve support but id care i choose football since i have 6 best friends on the team
 
M

MegaFlare

Guest
The Arts > Football.

Talent > An activity that will get you nowhere. (except college, if you get a sports scholarship, but after that, you have nothing)

Anyway, The Arts should be placed higher than football, IMO. Even artists (drawing and painting) should be placed higher than a sports activity. Football is something every boy can do if they want a side activity. Singing and drawing requires true talent, and should get more recognition and scholarships than athletes do.
 

billabong

ain't yo granny's
Joined
Aug 21, 2004
Messages
949
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Website
facebook.com
Well...I'll have to say football's more popular definitely, it's because it is a lot more manly. Manly? I mean it has hard hits, injuries, a ball, and women (cheerleaders).

Although, as Flare said, Art is what truly takes a lot. Creativity for one thing, as well as coordination, imagination, and knowledge. Whereas football really only calls for coordination, reflexes, common sense, and a solid build. Almost all of which are physical.

Besides. Music is included in arts, so...

Rock mus- I mean Art > Football.
 
Joined
Mar 8, 2005
Messages
3,449
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Awards
1
Location
shrek
Id have to say Arts aswell.

Heck, football (AFL, for me) is one of my favourite sports, but, theres not as much diversity as in the Arts. The Arts have a wider range of appeal than Football does. Say you're one of those people who dislikes Football, you would probably just go and follow another sport. Whereas if you're somebody who dislikes The Arts, theres quite a few things you would have to dislike (Music, Drama, Literature, Art, etc..etc..

Also, If you're talking about Grit Iron when you say Football, you have to take into account that Grit Iron isnt followed in most other countries other than the U.S.A (Especially Australia), Whereas The Arts is followed Worldwide. It also the same with other Football games, eg: Rugby, Soccer, AFL, Gaelic (sp?), International Rules, etc..etc..
 
Last edited:

ladymage

New member
Joined
Nov 28, 2005
Messages
195
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Michigan
My High School is a MAJOR sports school. The Band get some good support because they play at half time. Orchestra and Choir on the other hand are left in the shadows even thought our Orchestra is the best High School Orchestra in the state and one of the top ten in the country! (can't say that about band). Our Choir is going to be opening for the Winans (a world renound gospal group) in Carnage Hall in June!

But no... they are forgotten... sad really.
 

rikubaka67

New member
Joined
May 17, 2005
Messages
221
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
31
Location
well, I'm in a dark alley with a big scary--oooo s
Well...I'll have to say football's more popular definitely, it's because it is a lot more manly.

no offense, but a lot of people don't know that in the early Roman and Greek theaters, acting was considered manly. In fact, only men were allowed to be actors. Things really changed.....

And, thanks guys. I'm glad that so many people agree with me.
 

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Joined
Aug 4, 2005
Messages
9,934
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Website
www.classicgaming.com
rikubaka67 said:
no offense, but a lot of people don't know that in the early Roman and Greek theaters, acting was considered manly. In fact, only men were allowed to be actors. Things really changed.....

I blame it on the sports media and television.
 

Kira Haro

Unknown
Joined
May 16, 2004
Messages
383
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
-
rikubaka67 said:
One thing that really annoys me is that my school shows more support for the football team than they do for the arts. Lots of people say that our high school musicals every year are almost professional, but we don't get much recognation from the school. The football team, on the other hand, is not the best, yet recieves more schoolwide support. In my mind, I believe that there should be a balance. No public school should hold football (or sports in general) over the arts, or hold the arts over sports. That's not fair!

What do you guys think?



I love you.









[Will be edited tomorrow. Mods, back off]
 
Last edited:

Back Alley Guru

New member
Joined
Jul 2, 2005
Messages
76
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
I am currently living in the US, but hope to re-vi
Website
myspace.com
I, as an artist, am obliged to favor the arts in all of their forms.

I am of the oppinion that the 'debate', if you will, is directly linked to the short attention span of the modern man in juncture with 'The Man' (whoever that may be) and his (sucessful, if I may say so) attempts to drug the public with sex, television, and captial sports("In Russia, we had two channenls. One was propoganda and two was a KGB officer telling you to turn back to chanel one") that human beings like to see things get hurt, see them bleed, watch them die. I reffer you to ancient Roman gladiatorial culture, or the Romantic Era French practice of lighthing cats on fire for amusement. Football is just such a brutal sport.

In addition, Football and all major sports have become pervaded by capital gains. This is undeniable. Television programs, merchandise, etc. have blossomed around them, leading to another branch of consumerist sub-culture. As comercialism/consumerism is the effective antithesis of art, it follows that the football culture is malevolant towards art.

I treat this more on a societal basis as it is not a real problem at my school. I go to something of a nancy, intlectual private school (not in the rich sense. Over 40% of us, myself included, are on financial aid for our tuition), and to my knowledge, our sports teams have never even come close to winning a season. Our drama troupe, however, brings in many people each year and takes prevailance over our sports. Our artists have their pieces displayed routeinly in shows, and our jazz band is fabulous. I suppose I should be greatful for that.
 

Laffy Taffy

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2005
Messages
152
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
29
I didn't really read everyone's post and I know I'm gonna p*** someone off but I mean think about it america is basically getting dumber and lazier it just makes sense most people would rather sit and watch people beat the s**t outta eachother I mean it takes nothing to do that. If you got into the arts you have to study and all that and it takes work. I kinda got respect for those who play the game though they train and work. It's kinda like the colluseums the people got so intrested in that they lost touch with life and sorta just rotted.

Now's when I'm really gonna p**s ya off. you can't just get into the "arts" ya gotta do a little work if everyone just did that society would be disfunctoinal no one would be able to work we'd be smart but unable to do anything.

finally none of this makes sense cause I can't explain it real well but it kinda outlines it.
 

Laffy Taffy

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2005
Messages
152
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
29
Laffy Taffy said:
I didn't really read everyone's post and I know I'm gonna p*** someone off but I mean think about it america is basically getting dumber and lazier it just makes sense most people would rather sit and watch people beat the s**t outta eachother I mean it takes nothing to do that. If you got into the arts you have to study and all that and it takes work. I kinda got respect for those who play the game though they train and work. It's kinda like the colluseums the people got so intrested in that they lost touch with life and sorta just rotted.

Now's when I'm really gonna p**s ya off. you can't just get into the "arts" ya gotta do a little work if everyone just did that society would be disfunctoinal no one would be able to work we'd be smart but unable to do anything.

finally none of this makes sense cause I can't explain it real well but it kinda outlines it.
just read this barely
basically what he said.
(I, as an artist, am obliged to favor the arts in all of their forms.

I am of the oppinion that the 'debate', if you will, is directly linked to the short attention span of the modern man in juncture with 'The Man' (whoever that may be) and his (sucessful, if I may say so) attempts to drug the public with sex, television, and captial sports("In Russia, we had two channenls. One was propoganda and two was a KGB officer telling you to turn back to chanel one") that human beings like to see things get hurt, see them bleed, watch them die. I reffer you to ancient Roman gladiatorial culture, or the Romantic Era French practice of lighthing cats on fire for amusement. Football is just such a brutal sport.

In addition, Football and all major sports have become pervaded by capital gains. This is undeniable. Television programs, merchandise, etc. have blossomed around them, leading to another branch of consumerist sub-culture. As comercialism/consumerism is the effective antithesis of art, it follows that the football culture is malevolant towards art.)
 

Back Alley Guru

New member
Joined
Jul 2, 2005
Messages
76
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
I am currently living in the US, but hope to re-vi
Website
myspace.com
As it were, I do not think that we are saying the same thing at all. Your claim is that America is getting "dumber", whereas I hold that the entire world was always like this, partly as an extention of its own twisted nature and partly as result of the moving plot to keep the population (especially the prolitariate) subdued. Neither of these are new phenomena (I refer you to Machiavelli's The Prince). I cannot attest to any declination of the American intellegence for obvious reasons, but I do not believe that the pervasion of Football (as, of course, a metaphor for an entire subculture) is some flag of a new mentality. I point your to the Greek Olympics.

Now, to borrow from your vernacular, the following might "p**s ya off", but I disagree very much with your assertion that a society of artists would never be able to "do anything". In addition, the assertion that artists never do any work is frankly insulting. Where do you get off insinuating something like that? Clearly you are not an artist yourself or you would realise that it is just as feasable a profession as anything else.
 

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Joined
Aug 4, 2005
Messages
9,934
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Website
www.classicgaming.com
Back Alley Guru said:
Now, to borrow from your vernacular, the following might "p**s ya off", but I disagree very much with your assertion that a society of artists would never be able to "do anything". In addition, the assertion that artists never do any work is frankly insulting. Where do you get off insinuating something like that? Clearly you are not an artist yourself or you would realise that it is just as feasable a profession as anything else.

Art is one of those professions in which you work your ass off and still make virtually no money...a nigh fruitless labor that only serves a sort of masturbatory purpose. Ah, to be an young, aspiring artist...so bold, so pretentious, so naive. What I would give to be just that again.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
shape1
shape2
shape3
shape4
shape5
shape6
Top