• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Football vs. The Arts

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back Alley Guru

I am currently living in the US, but hope to re-vi
Website
myspace.com
Square Ninja said:
Art is one of those professions in which you work your ass off and still make virtually no money...a nigh fruitless labor that only serves a sort of masturbatory purpose. Ah, to be an young, aspiring artist...so bold, so pretentious, so naive. What I would give to be just that again.

Bold, pretentious? Yes. Naive? I would beg to differ, I would. Artists do acheive things. I point you to Henry VIII, a Renaissance man at heart, credited with writing Greensleeves, as I recall. He reorganized all of England and started his own Religion. Shakespeare and Goethe shaped the consciousness of those to come. Voltaire worked agains poverty and owned a watch company. Not all artists are starving.

Last edited:

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
So...? A few of them got lucky. What about all of the countless other artists that strived do the same thing but ultimately failed to gain recognition?

Also, Henry VIII didn't make a new religion. He just made another denomination of Christianity in an attempt to gain an heir to his throne.

Last edited:

rikubaka67

Awards
I treat this more on a societal basis as it is not a real problem at my school. I go to something of a nancy, intlectual private school (not in the rich sense. Over 40% of us, myself included, are on financial aid for our tuition), and to my knowledge, our sports teams have never even come close to winning a season. Our drama troupe, however, brings in many people each year and takes prevailance over our sports. Our artists have their pieces displayed routeinly in shows, and our jazz band is fabulous. I suppose I should be greatful for that.

I want to go to your school.

Art is one of those professions in which you work your ass off and still make virtually no money...a nigh fruitless labor that only serves a sort of masturbatory purpose. Ah, to be an young, aspiring artist...so bold, so pretentious, so naive. What I would give to be just that again.

So...? A few of them got lucky. What about all of the countless other artists that strived do the same thing but ultimately failed to gain recognition?

not everyone who's into art wants to become an artist as a profession. And besides, there are more fields of work in the arts than there is in sports.

Examples:
Performing in almost any professional theater (Broadway, and in Pittsburgh we have CLO (Civic Light Opera))
Acting in movies
Writing a/many good book(s)
Being a Professional (or at least famous) singer or in a band (Linkin Park, Hilary Duff, Eminem.....)
being a landscaper
among many others

In Sports, you basically only have that sport.

Also, In sports you can be an athlete or a coach, or a phys. ed teacher.
In acting, there are actors, directors, stage managers, producers, costumers, and the tech crew (including but not limited to stage/house lights, sound (microphones), moving sets, and helping actors with quick costume changes). All of them are needed to make a show run.
and, if you decide to act in movies, you have talent scouts, cameramen, movie editors.......you get the idea.

(other forms of art I don't know as much about)

Last edited:

Back Alley Guru

Website
myspace.com
Square Ninja said:

Also, Henry VIII didn't make a new religion. He just made another denomination of Christianity in an attempt to gain an heir to his throne.

Well, considering that Christianity began as a denomination of Judaism, I would count the Anglican Church as defininitve in its own right.

It is not about luck, I think. It is about the implimentation of art. I hate to reffer to Machiavelli constantly (ok, so I do not), but I must point to his ways as prime plans to impliment art effectively. The public does not know what it desires. As such, assertion and "fooling all of the people, all of the time", is really the integal virtue therein.

In addition, because art can be a part-time profession, artists have time to involve themselves in other more 'sure' pursuits.

Back Alley Guru

Website
myspace.com
Square Ninja said:
My point is that art is not a very stable career path.

Yes, but I am not hailing it as a stable career, simply a worthwile pursuit, you see?

In addition, since art (as, again, the antithesis of consumerism) seeks only to, as Shelly said, be the mirror to elucidate distorted beauty, it should not be glorified on a capital basis. As such, it should be a pursuit, not a career designed to support the livelihood of the artist.

Blackest Night

High Priest of Sloanism
Depends upon the day and if there is free pizza.
In my opinion, art is a much more wothwhile pursuit than sports.

The "popular" people in my school are, as others have put, Jocks and those who do sports. Whenever asked what they want to do, it is "professional athlete". When asked why they say "I want the cash, yo."

From my personal experience, the people who want to pursue art as a career do not base their choices on money. They choose them because it is what they love to do. They love to make digital art, or sketch, or act, etc. THey're not in it for the money.

So, i believe that although sports is a career to pick to get rich, art is a much more worthwhile and rewarding process.

nitro-XIII

football is an art, its a skill its a talent, it is just a violent one. so this topic dose not make sence.. its like comaring basket ball and sports, this fourm is comparing a borader topic to a more narrow one.

^ hahahaha
There nearly no skill required to play football, ou just have to have more mass than the opposition.
As for comparing the two, generally the budget for the arts is taken away in somepart to support football...

Blackest Night

High Priest of Sloanism
Depends upon the day and if there is free pizza.
football is an art, its a skill its a talent, it is just a violent one.

Football is not classified as an art. It is a sport. If you would please give me a moment:

According to Wikipedia, which is my favorite of all online encyclopedias, the Arts include.

* Art / Visual arts
* Architecture
* Crafts
* Dance
* Interactive arts/Videogames
* Drawing
* Film
* Literature
* Music
* Painting
* Photography
* Pottery
* Sculpture
* Theater

Nowhere on that list do I see the words, Football or Sport. Thus, football or sports in general is not an art. This topic(not forum. The forum is this entire site) is not comparing a broader topic to a narow one. It is comparing Sports to Arts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back