• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Football vs. The Arts

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xicer

alrighty then well that settles that, I [played my Freshman year and by "art" I think he means skill and talent. Ever heard the saying the "Art of War"? Same principle.

Back Alley Guru

I am currently living in the US, but hope to re-vi
Website
myspace.com
Asserting that 'skill' and or 'talent' is synonymous with art is frankly ridiculous. In the broadest, most bastardized sense of the word, it may be possible to analogize the two, but there is a clear separation between the two nonetheless. In either case, we can suppose, based on the actual question posed in the premeire post in this thread, that for all points and purposes of this discourse, the two are absolutely separate. I defy anyone to prove definitively that either football or war is an art. "The Art Of War"? It is a turn of phrase and nothing more.

Unless I mistake myself, it was Plutarch who said something to the effect of, "Art is poetry", and Shelly who said, "Poetry is a mirror which makes beautiful that which is distorted. " Now, I find that sculpture, painting, poetry etc. can elucidate the distored beauty. I have never encountered a football game or battle able to do this. I am not prepared to debate as to whether football is a skill, but I would berate those who throw around the previously sacrosanct term of 'art', compromising its purity and maing it nearly synonymous with 'practice'. I am sure, sirs and madames, that I object.

Xicer

Back Alley Guru said:
Asserting that 'skill' and or 'talent' is synonymous with art is frankly ridiculous. In the broadest, most bastardized sense of the word, it may be possible to analogize the two, but there is a clear separation between the two nonetheless. In either case, we can suppose, based on the actual question posed in the premeire post in this thread, that for all points and purposes of this discourse, the two are absolutely separate. I defy anyone to prove definitively that either football or war is an art. "The Art Of War"? It is a turn of phrase and nothing more.

Unless I mistake myself, it was Plutarch who said something to the effect of, "Art is poetry", and Shelly who said, "Poetry is a mirror which makes beautiful that which is distorted. " Now, I find that sculpture, painting, poetry etc. can elucidate the distored beauty. I have never encountered a football game or battle able to do this. I am not prepared to debate as to whether football is a skill, but I would berate those who throw around the previously sacrosanct term of 'art', compromising its purity and maing it nearly synonymous with 'practice'. I am sure, sirs and madames, that I object.

wow you really dont have anything better to do do you? "Art" referrs to ones own passions for something, like those who have a passion for football or poetry or war....the term "Art" refferrs to everything you find yourself compassionate about....so I dont give a **** what Plutarch said Football is considered an art, just like poetry, war, and whatever else you like.....and who the **** are you to tell me that? just cuz you dont agree with what Im saying doesnt meen you have to be a little bitch about it...heres an idea....stop reading this, get off ur ass, go outside, and make some friends. ;)

Xicer

rpg master said:
I hate footballl.

no_one_gives_a_shit.jpg

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
Xicer said:
wow you really dont have anything better to do do you? "Art" referrs to ones own passions for something, like those who have a passion for football or poetry or war....the term "Art" refferrs to everything you find yourself compassionate about....

Art does not equate passion, but art could not exist without passion.

SuperEclipse

~Ichiban~
Awards
Website
www.spirasdestiny.net
lets see me on top of each other or art?

the Arts, sports sucks..

lol funny how anti-gay ppl love football, and its man fighthign over a ball and getting on top of each other XD

Noblethe3rd

At college, seeking a higher education, and if I t
Actually, its probably the closest thing to a nonlethal brawl we get in sports besides rugby..... Not many people like rugby around here..... Its "too" violent.
But I would take Football over the arts. Any wacko can claim that he is an artist, throw random colors on a piece of paper or scribble 3 lines on a wall and people call it art. The name of what art is has been tarnished. Not that there aren't real artists out there, its just those people don't get the respect they deserve. That is until they die.

Back Alley Guru

I am currently living in the US, but hope to re-vi
Website
myspace.com
Xicer said:
wow you really dont have anything better to do do you? "Art" referrs to ones own passions for something, like those who have a passion for football or poetry or war....the term "Art" refferrs to everything you find yourself compassionate about....so I dont give a **** what Plutarch said Football is considered an art, just like poetry, war, and whatever else you like.....and who the **** are you to tell me that? just cuz you dont agree with what Im saying doesnt meen you have to be a little bitch about it...heres an idea....stop reading this, get off ur ass, go outside, and make some friends. ;)

Oh, dearest dearest.

Here is something for you to contemplate:
Back Alley Guru makes an average of .44 posts per day.
Xicer makes an average of 1.22 posts per day.

According to the numbers, you spend about three times as much time as I do here. Clearly I do have better things to do and, in fact, I do them. If you are going to partake in that holiest of all arts of internet insulting, at least have something to back it up.

I defy you, once again, to prove to me how art is to be defined as something you are passionate about. I, personally, am passionate about the director Ken Russell. Does this mean that I take part in the 'art' of Ken Russell. No, I do ont think so.

As to who I am to tell you something, I suppose that I have status similar to that that you utilize in telling me that football is, in fact, an art. The assertion that I am a bitch is, after all, a matter of oppinion. When delivering an argument, the mode of delivery tends to matter only to children and the overly-sensative.

Also, I know it is difficult to find time in this apparently busy schedual you entertain, but would you mind indulging me with but a few punctuation marks? I would appreciate it.

In finality, I would ask you this: what indicates to you the need for your final fragmented phrases? Does the fact that I support art and do so vocally insinuate somehow that I have never been outside or do not make friends? Typical, I say.

ladymage

The Arts is not just painting, the Arts can be Music (singing, instruments, etc.) Dance, some forms of martial arts or fencing, poetry, and many other things.

I myself am in Orchestra (I play the Violin) and in Choir so I have to go with the Arts over Football.

rikubaka67

Awards
Krimedog said:
ima go with football, but i hate it though, but arts just bore me so

What a lot of people don't know is that movies and music are a forms of art. If you listen to music of any kind, that's art. Espicially rap, because, as my brother describes it, all rap is is poetry. and movies are acting.

ladymage

None of that was necessary. You could have explained your anger and frustration without the swearing and name calling. Swearing and name calling just makes your argument look weak, makes you look childish and getting worked up lets the other person know they have struck a nerve.

Last edited:

Xicer

well actually Im fine...I just like to retaliate like that. :) I dont get angry over stupid arguments like this - I find it entertaining to see what the great Back Alley guru is going to say next. ;) Dont worry, Im completely fine.

MegaFlare

Goddess
Awards
First off, Xicer, do not double post. Secondly, I'm on the verge of banning you for being an idiot. You cannot back up your statements and you resort to swearing excessively which is uncalled for.

Anyway, I believe I've already stated my opinion on this matter. Football is not an art, it is a sport. Art is not something you are passionate about. The passion goes along with art, it is not art itself. The two are mutually exclusive. In the end, anyone can beef themselves up and play football, or just plain play football. It takes talent to do art.

Xicer

Well I was just stating my opinion, just like you are, Megaflare the almighty. Are you a mod? Probably...and I swear excessively because their are people like you who believe what they have to say is the truth, despite anyones abjections, Megaflare. Football is an art, and I see no reason why I should look up information about why football is an art - in fact, I'd really enjoy watching you try to play it, and you'd better not say you do, because we all know that is a straight up lie, Megaflare. Hmm, Back Alley Guru argued right along with me, are you two friends, btw? probably...and thats probably why you decided to start something with me, who knows, I sure as hell don't know why you guys are being such an ass about this, because its irrelevant to me what you guys think. And it should be for you, too. Stop taking what other people say and blowing it out of proportions, please. I can say what I want, and just because some computer wizarsd like you to don'y agree, doesn't give you the right to start something. Yes, I may have cussed too uch, and I guess i regret that now, seeing as how I wasn't as angry as I may have sounded. (This is computer talk, if you havn't already forgotten.) So, in short, it's over, and I actually find it a bit hard to back up evidence supporting my OPINION in the matter that football is an art. You think you could better? Show me. Your "facts" were just as minimal and opinionated as mine were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back