• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Family Guy (Latest season 10)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing

Anyone here like Family Guy?

Just got through watching a hella hilarious episode revolving around Quagmire.

EDIT: My bad if there's a thread on this.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
I kinda switched from Family Guy to American Dad. I really enjoy Stewie and Brian's escapades, but not really the other characters.

Izayoi

galactic cancer
It's like, recently the writing is trying to be "deep" (deep as it can get) and acknowledge the show's flaws and by kinda philosophical in its own messed-up way. It isn't bad, I guess, but that would work WAY better if everything between seasons 2 and now never happened. I keep expecting the same stupid humor to happen, and either it doesn't, leaving things awkwardly serious, or it actually does do something dumb and it feels tacked-on.

Amazing

I kinda switched from Family Guy to American Dad. I really enjoy Stewie and Brian's escapades, but not really the other characters.

Whaaat? O.O

American Dad is such a rip off of Family Guy. Roger is the alien version of Stewie.

@Izayoi

The writing's awesome IMO.

Just last episode they did a spectacular job of defining Meg's role as the buttmonkey of the show.

@Lanydx Reborn

Dude Seth is one of the best writer's currently in the cartoon comedy biz atm IMO.

Amazing

It's done by Seth, so I can hardly see how it's a rip-off. Even without taking that into consideration, it's hardly a clone of each other.

You're right. Rip-off is the wrong word to use. It's more like they're too similar to each other seeing as how the characters on American Dad in the beginning were pure copies of Family Guy characters in personality and manners. Not to mention the the whole daughter being the butt of bad treatment from the father. It's just ridiculous how people think Family Guy is trash because most of the jokes are cutaway gags. All comedy shows/movies have their own unique approach. That goes for Family Guy, American Dad, The Cleveland Show, and South Park. Family Guy's humor is diverse sometimes being mostly cutaway, American Dad's is political humor, The Cleveland show centered around Cleveland being the usual black jokes etc(don't watch show much) and South Park is so ridiculously toiletry humor. Sometimes going too far.

Izayoi

galactic cancer
Whaaat? O.O

American Dad is such a rip off of Family Guy. Roger is the alien version of Stewie.

what year is this

The writing's awesome IMO.

Just last episode they did a spectacular job of defining Meg's role as the buttmonkey of the show.

which is all fine and good. then they go back to toiler humor and gore and shit. it is way too late to change the direction of the show like that, it's pointless, and the "meaningful" episodes are just easy to overlook because of it.

Dude Seth is one of the best writer's currently in the cartoon comedy biz atm IMO.

yeah sure

Amazing

what year is this

2011. He never diverts from the same style or mannerisms as Stewie.

which is all fine and good. then they go back to toiler humor and gore and shit. it is way too late to change the direction of the show like that, it's pointless, and the "meaningful" episodes are just easy to overlook because of it.

Family Guy has always also been about toilet humor, and gore. That's the secondary appeal of Family Guy's cutaway gags. Seriously, the hatred for Family Guy is so senseless. You make it seem like American Dad is deep and meaningful. Family Guy as stated by Seth Macfarlane through Peter in Family Guy Star Wars: It's a trap it's only meant to be meaningful for the gags rather than composing some ridiculously well thought out episode plot. If you really think that's a trait that makes a good show you might as well say Simpsons deserves to be given more kudos. It did back in the 90's. But it's worn out and people are more about hearing gags. For example: Chappelle show is always being referenced because of the wonderful skits and it's memorable gags. That's what Family Guy is and why it's hilarious and brilliant.

Another reason why I say this hate is senseless: Violence and toilet humor? Did you even see the premiere of season 10? That episode barely had any violence or toilet humor. Like American Dad it's humor comes from the father being a total jerkass, and moron. Which is one of the most noticeable traits of Seth Macfarlane's dad characters in both American Dad and Family Guy. Same with one of the family members wearing glasses.

Also if American Dad is so awesome how come it didn't have a awesome episode like the premiere of season 9 "And then there were fewer"? That was pure genius. There was like zero cutaway gags and even though it was a murder mystery there was plenty of humor in-between. Also the departure of characters because of that episode was an absolute shocker.

yeah sure

C'mon man enough with the senseless hatred.

Chrono Mizaki

Banned
What is interesting is that Amazing wrote short post, suggesting he might be a blind fan that thinks Seth is awesome without any reasoning he wrote, then smacks right back with a long, well-thought out post.

Kinda like there's two people using his account.

XIII Heartless

Head Mom In Charge
Awards
Website
profile.myspace.com
I like American Dad more than Family Guy nowadays. And the main similarity between it and Family Guy is the animation style, and that's about it. I like Family Guy still, just don't feel it as much as I used to. I think it spends too much time now trying to be deep and meaningful (something it's not), which is just grating.

Amazing

What is interesting is that Amazing wrote short post, suggesting he might be a blind fan that thinks Seth is awesome without any reasoning he wrote, then smacks right back with a long, well-thought out post.

........What?

Kinda like there's two people using his account.

I barely ever come on this forum 0_0 and when I do it's very rare that I engage anyone in any discussion. Also considering my term here is that short I doubt I would have spend that time to feud with someone over something as trivial as a tv show.

Also I noticed you didn't rebutt my post on similarities between Family Guy characters and American Dad.

Stan is like Peter as a Republican C.I.A. loony

Francine is the less slutty even slightly less punching bag version of Lois

Steve is the nerdier version of Chris only with a social life although doesn't get any

Haley is the more attractive version of Meg

Klause the german version of Brian and has the whole baby carry thing which Lois did with Stewie in Family Guy

Roger has the cross dress trait which Stewie had. Also he has the love for martini drinking like Brian. In short he's a mix of both.

@XIII Heartless

I wouldn't say that Seth is above that but I'm afraid to say that I don't notice it all that much. Not that I'm being blinded by love for the show but it's not as vocal about preaching to the audience as South Park who grate on my nerves several thousand stories more than Family Guy (EX. South Park Purity ring episode, episode revolving around derogatory term fag).

The only episode I notice as preachy are the religious episodes which Seth Macfarlane greatly detests(as do I). However, I don't wholly agree with the characters antics regarding the topic.

Izayoi

galactic cancer
Has it occurred to you that just about every sitcom ever has similar character designs and roles, but you just happen to be comparing Family Guy and American Dad because they're both animated?

oh no a show with a bumbling closed-minded father and an attractive do-gooding wife and nerdy son and a slutty daughter and a comic relief character somebody quick sound the alarm

Relix

A traveler
Awards
Each show caters to different tastes. I happen to prefer American Dad over Family Guy nowadays because I've grown tired of the "forced" humor they've tried to pull in recent episodes. That doesn't mean I dislike FG. I still watch it when I'm in the mood for violence and ridiculous humor. But I get more satisfaction from watching American Dad because I enjoy the substance of the show where as Family Guy is reminiscent of a show that just throws skits at the audience. I prefer the characters in AD over those in FG too, but that's more personal taste than anything. Steve>Chris, Haley>Meg, etc. imo I just prefer American Dad's humor over FG's nowadays and I find myself actually chuckling at their jokes even after the show's ended as opposed to FG recent episodes where I barely even remember the jokes/humor

Amazing

Has it occurred to you that just about every sitcom ever has similar character designs and roles, but you just happen to be comparing Family Guy and American Dad because they're both animated?

Uhhh no. It's possible to compare it to other shows that aren't animated. Same can be said for Family guy. It's just that you're
saying American Dad stomps all over Family even though the formula of it's characters is incredibly similar. Steve's episode plots are incredibly similar, same with Haley, Stan's. The only difference is that it's more action-like because of Stan's status as a C.I.A. agent.

@Relix

Not all shows need substance for the humor to sink in. I'm not saying that I don't think AD is good but people in this thread definition of humor. It's incredibly nonsensical. If that's what it took then Simpsons would be declared one of the best cartoon sitcoms ever made. If anything most of the complaints towards Family Guy are as you said Rel: catering to different tastes. My family and friends are the type that like humor that immediately shows up. Family Guy is non-stop funny which is what people like.

tri-blade

The only way Family Guy is going to get back my respect is if it cancels American Dad (we came SO CLOSE to having this show end), the Cleveland Show, abandon production on the S**tstones (Seth Mcfarlene's version of the Flintstones) and focus on making Family Guy a better written show. Your killing Family Guy Seth Mc-idiot. Someone tell this guy that quantity of shows does not overtake the quality of a show!

The only funny person on FG now is Quagmire because he has stayed true to himself for 90% of the time. The 10% that has changed was with the sudden hate for Brian. I don't like the dog either but it's like Quagmire changes into a completely different person around him. I just feel like I don't even know Quagmire when he gets like that.... T_______T

Amazing

"non-stop funny" however is something many would call "humor for people with ADD".

That's because of this generation's attention-span. Not everyone is able to be as attentive you are. If they were then American Dad truly would be top gun. But be honest with me: When's the last time you watched an entire episode of Family Guy? It feels like barely anyone here has been able to. To touch upon one of the comments made in this thread:
"The show is preachy".

Last time Family guy got preachy was season 8 with their "Family Goy" episode.

Also saying that immediate humor is bad is like saying Chappelle show is bad when it has a huge cult following and heavily referenced in today's popular culture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back