• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Anime/Manga ► Fall 2014 Anime Lineup

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awards
I've actually been playing the Grisaia no Kaijitsu VN, so I was looking forward to the anime adaptation. Right off the bat I noticed the inevitable in that some scenes and dialogue have been cut out, which makes me worry that the character's won't be as fleshed out as they need to be, and will be boiled down into 2D archtypes. Hopefully that won't happen, what I hope does happen is that some of the more funny scenes stay in, and that they won't rush into showing the character's pasts, which are really the best parts of the VN.

Scenes like this.

matrix8140

Fist of The North Star(Freedom)
Anybody who's already heavily passing judgment on World Trigger should be warned that it has a slow start but gets good.

I'm up to date on the manga and the current arc is really good.

The second episode should be a lot better considering how fast they're jumping into the chapters.

Before long, the anime should reach into the Rank Wars, which is where the manga actually starts dipping into the good stuff. However, you guys probably won't get to the current arc in this season which is about to reach it's climax.

But if you don't like the anime, you don't like it. This is just me warning you about it's changes.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Garo: Honoo no Kokuin: Even though the premise ultimately boils down to a straightforward (if somewhat dark) tale of good and evil, the episode delivers it in such a refined way that I felt like I was watching a much more interesting setup. The direction is stunning, laying out its scenes to draw the viewer in as quickly as possible. The characters have undeniable chemistry, and they subvert a lot of the tropes that are seen in more recent series (the main character already knows who he is, for one). Even if the animation doesn't pull out every stop, the imagery used is gorgeous, and the CGI works pretty damn well. Feels like a TV-budgeted version of Karas.

Nanatsu no Taizai: You know, it probably doesn't help that Hunter x Hunter just ended, but the premiere for this shounen adaptation felt so unsatisfactory. The characters, the setup, everything feels so one-dimensional. Bumbling female? Check. Badass guy who doesn't look like he should be? Check. Stock villains? Check. I can appreciate the slight creativity in some elements of the world; but otherwise, this was really underwhelming. I liked the pig though.

Amagi Brilliant Park: KyoAni's animation pedigree aside (though, if I'm being honest, they didn't get much opportunity to use it in this episode), I'm not convinced. Episode one operates under the idea of being as boring as possible. But that's the actual point. It's trying to be boring, because it wants the main character to come in and make everything fun. The problem is that it still leads to a boring episode trying to keep the audiences attention with deadpan humor (some of which was okay). I need to see what this series will do when it isn't intentionally aiming to put me to sleep. Otherwise, at least it still looks good.

Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai: This series started off by poking at one of my pet peeves. Not a good way to start. See, this is one of those shows that gives you about a minute of story at the beginning, meanders about with its head up its ass for the next nineteen, then gives another minute of story at the end. It doesn't work. You've made it impossible for me. You can't just bookend episodes with mildly curious events as you pad everything out with as many inane high school anime tropes as you can find.

Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu: Now this is how you start a premiere. Hook in the first scene before jumping to the opening. After that, go right into the events, introducing only what's necessary and showing a natural progression from there. Miggy and Shinichi play off each other perfectly, and Ken Arai's score shines. To top it off, Madhouse is giving this series the treatment it deserves. Every shot is expertly laid out and beautifully animated. If you haven't checked it out yet, do so as soon as you can. Unless you get squeamish easily. Then you might want to avoid it.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Hi☆sCoool! SeHa Girl: I... I don't really understand what happened. I mean, I saw it. You know, I did watch the whole episode. Light from the TV went into my eyes, which was then converted into tiny electrical signals, which were then interpreted by my brain. But even so, I think my brain might've messed up. Because I don't know what the hell I just watched. Who's the audience? The Sega audience? Is there a Sega audience? I don't know why they deserve an anime that looks like it was stolen from a high school animation club. I don't know, I guess if you just really need as many Sega references crammed into an eleven minute period as possible, this is for you.

Shirobako: I didn't think this show would do it, but it totally did. It's awesome. The show is about people working in an anime studio, trying to get an episode done on time. There are a lot of characters, but they actually feel like a group of people working together to get a job done. The chemistry is spot on, and you understand their roles by the end of the premiere. It goes over a lot of anime production information, tying it all in with references to the industry (such as racing to get what you needed; or like Miyazaki, who would make dinner for his staff). It looks really good too. Now, a lot of whether you look this show or not will come down to how interested you are in anime production. However, if you have any interest at all, give the first episode a shot. You won't be disappointed.

Psycho-Pass 2: We'll have to see how the sequel plays out, but I thoroughly enjoyed the first episode. It felt like the new staff was really staking their claim, especially Ubukata. I worried how they would handle this after everything that happened in the first season, but they basically just acknowledge it and move on. The idea of Sybil, despite its portrayal at the end of season one, was actually dialed back a bit as it delves into what the first one should have: The society. Sybil isn't just a villain here, it's a reality, a result, a mere system. The society is, at its core, the people and what they decide to do, no matter how strict the regulations may be. That's the kind of stuff I wanted to see from the very beginning, and we're finally getting it. Plus, you can already see the layers of the plot starting to stack up. I am so glad to see this series finally look to live up to its potential.

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso: Gorgeous show. Figured I'd get that out of the way first. The production values are stunning. Bright and colorful, the animation is slick, and it featured some great music pieces. I'm a bit concerned about the narrative itself, as it could easily devolve into another romantic inspiration story. That being said, the relationships between all the characters revealed so far have the potential to be interesting, so I'm willing to give it a couple more episodes. Besides, I'll get to here more killer music numbers set to great instrument animation.

Ore, Twintails ni Narimasu.: This show is stupid. It's just- This show is stupid. Everything about it. I can't fathom this show's existence. They got pig tails, guy likes pig tails, becomes pig tail warrior, fights lizard people. What do want from me? This is the show. Admittedly, the last part sounds awesome (and confusing), but it's really not.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Sanzoku no Musume Ronja: I should point out that there aren't any subs available for the double-length premiere episode at the time of this writing (though the basic idea is pretty easy to follow even if you don't know what they're saying). This was just quality family friendly entertainment, plain and simple. It may be a TV series with 3D character models, but Ghibli's charm still finds a way to squeeze through. The characters are energized, and you can feel the familial bonds they all share in their tight-knit community. On the subject of the characters though, the 3D models are surprisingly expressive. I can't say I prefer them to 2D animation, but they are colorful and are almost always in motion. It reminded me a lot of the character models in Ni no Kuni (not too surprising, I suppose). At the moment, it's a coming-of-age story, though a light fantasy element was introduced early on that could open things up later (haven't read the source material, so I wouldn't know). I can't say if there'll be enough meat to satisfy older audiences, but it's certainly got heart. At the very least, it's worth a look if you want something lighthearted this season.

Space Cowboy

Ultra Haunted
Awards
I watched the first episode of Parasyte tonight.

Will certainly be picking it up, digging the soundtrack.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
General ranking of stuff. Based on however many episodes I've seen so far.

Great:

Akatsuki no Yona
Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works
Parasyte
Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis
Shirobako

Good:

Amagi Brilliant Park
Garo: Honoo no Kokuin
Gugure! Kokkuri-san
Sanzoku no Musume Ronja
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso

Worthy Sequels:

Log Horizon 2nd Season
Mushishi (so what if it hasn't aired yet? you all know)
Psycho-Pass 2 (i already like this 2nd season so much more than the 1st)
Yowamushi Pedal: Grande Road

Don't care:

Everything else.

Space Cowboy

Ultra Haunted
Awards
You know I really didn't enjoy that second Psycho-Pass episode as much as the first. Hoping it picks up.

Silh

Slippery People
Awards
I picked up Shigatsu earlier today. Man, dat OP

[video=youtube_share;sr3qriHU09U]http://youtu.be/sr3qriHU09U[/video]

edit: There was a Tamako Market movie sequel. Huh.

Last edited:

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
finally someone who understands how great that opening is

where have u been all my life?

and yes, tamako market movie is pretty adorable in that weird "lol, teenagers" kinda way

Silh

Slippery People
Awards
New A-1 show on the noitaminA block, you know I'll be there bb

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Psycho-Pass seems pretty content with derailing itself completely at the moment.

I mean, good lord. Not only is it not using any of the sociological elements it hinted at early on, but now it can't even move the plot forward without heaping on wave after wave of forced writing. Come on, Ubukata, you are so much better than this train wreck.

Side note, if you guys aren't watching Shingeki no Bahamut, then you should. It's astounding how consistent and fun it is. I feel like I'm reading a fantasy comic book, and I mean that in the best possible way. Likable character, multiple stories connecting to form the whole piece, the occasional trip to nonsensical fun (demon fishmen vs zombie pirates is a thing that happens in anime far too rarely), wild action, it's got it all. One of the best shows of the season, easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back