• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Especially For Christians: Religion and Politics - Should They Mix?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awards
I really don't think so. Religion is fine for those who choose to follow it, and that's kind of the point of it, you choose to believe it and follow its laws and rules and customs. Politics affects a lot of people who may not follow the religion those leaders are getting their guidelines from. It's not fair, I think.

Ehres

` dragon dance
Awards
I really do not understand this obsession the American government has with placing religious (see: Christian) arguments into every nook, cranny and fibre of political issue. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place but in my own country we don't have Christian insertions into issues on the economy, global warming, environment, society 24/7. So, er... yeah.

inasuma

i'm gonna be
Awards
If it involves morality, then I believe that mixture is necessary, to be honest.

Morality and religion are not always required to be together.

I honestly think morality can be in politics, but it should be logical and evidence-based. I don't like religion in politics because it means putting religion unnecessarily into the lives of those who don't care. It also means using religion as an excuse to ban, say, things like abortion. There is typically little logic or thought involved, instead it comes from "it's wrong based on x factor (typically such as the 'soul')" which then starts a chain of debates on something that could have just been left alone or at the state level.

tl;dr bringing religion into the mix just causes unneeded social debate which is probably better suited for the local/state level.

Gildragon

Theatre Messiah
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
In my opinion a Christian should not promote sin. so as long as the politics are not encouraging or legalizing sin Then there is no need to mix.

Supposing however that someone without a religious preference were to vote, we wouldn't think twice about them voting for what seems the more moral of the options to vote for. And in these Cases most Christians already know their moral guideline in the Bible. and for many there is only one way to live (even if they arent' living it themselves) so if you have a moral code or rules that you live by of course your own political preferences are going to follow that.

Therefore if your preferences are based on religion there should not be any problem to base your political beliefs on what the Bible (or your religious doctrine) teaches

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
In my opinion a Christian should not promote sin. so as long as the politics are not encouraging or legalizing sin Then there is no need to mix.

Supposing however that someone without a religious preference were to vote, we wouldn't think twice about them voting for what seems the more moral of the options to vote for. And in these Cases most Christians already know their moral guideline in the Bible. and for many there is only one way to live (even if they arent' living it themselves) so if you have a moral code or rules that you live by of course your own political preferences are going to follow that.

Therefore if your preferences are based on religion there should not be any problem to base your political beliefs on what the Bible (or your religious doctrine) teaches

But, then you have to go by what one's religious book teaches. In the Old Testament, it was acceptable to marry the woman you raped, stone children that refused to obey their parents, stone people that work on the Sabbath, not mix fabrics, not eat shellfish or pork, own slaves (which is also in the New Testament), and so on. Even today, Nigeria for instance, it is permissible for parents to kill their children due to suspicion of witchcraft and also Zimbabwe and Uganda with their policies on gay rights. Those are just a few examples I've come across in regard to Christianity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back