• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Especially For Christians: Religion and Politics - Should They Mix?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards
It's no secret that religion has played a massive role in the political scene throughout history. Today, while many nations have become more secularized, there is still religious influence in politics.

I decided to make this thread based on a new article that is going to be published in May with the same title as this thread, 'Religion and Politics: Should They Mix?' (If you would like to read, the digital online version is already available here: PDF or EPUB).

The opening of the article goes as follows:
Many God-fearing people feel that religion should be involved in politics. They believe that religion can play a vital part in solving humankind’s problems. However, other sincere believers think that religion and politics should be separate. What do you personally think of religion’s role in politics? Should those powerful forces work hand-in-hand?

What do you think? Should religion have any role in politics? At the same time, going by Bible principals and Jesus' teachings, do you feel Christians should be involved in politics?

Discuss.

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards
I've always been extremely against this sort of thing. I boil inside every time I see religious points made in abortion debates. It's going to put no real positive influence on things or make politics better than they are now. Regardless how big a majority of people believe in it, whatever religion it may be, it's a topic that's entirely up in the air to anybody so it shouldn't influence decisions on things like this.

I'm not really trying to start an actual debate on religion here, but if there isn't tangible proof that says otherwise, then there's absolutely zero reason the two should intertwine.

However, I should note that if said religion influences a person's belief against a political matter, but they don't use that as a point to make the matter, I feel it's entirely fine.

Cosmic+Amarna

Phantom Gigaplex
Atlas-There currently are Christians who are involved in politics, and as you said, have played a role thru out history.

No to religious politics. No to politics.

Ordeith

Great Old One
Awards
A politician can make decisions according to his or her morals—which may be founded in religion.
Personally, I have no objections to that. It's always good to see morality in politics, somewhere.

When religion is actually used in political debate, however, the politician is not only evading the question, they're turning politics into a stew of emotions. Rather than approaching the actual matter, these religious politicians are dismissing uncomfortable issues, justifying poor decisions, and taking advantage of the mob.

Reflection

Princess of Heart
Awards
my point of view is that keeping things secular keeps things peaceful, but I don't think that means that christians can't participate in politics. religion, like any other cultural influence, will change how you feel about things. i don't think that's something you can control. you can't separate a person from their childhood memories or familial sentiments any more than you can separate them from their religion.

politically, i see christian morality translating into welfare liberalism. it doesn't have to be about conservative values and keeping society from progressing. for that reason i think it would be beneficial to have christians involved in politics.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
I think it's not at all inappropriate (but not necessarily appropriate to the extent where it's always preferable) for religion to be a part of politicians, but as said before, not part of politics itself. I see no harm in someone's religion being one of the various factors that determines the thought process that goes on to have policies adopted. That said, I think it would be innaporpriate if the person's religion was their thought process to push the policy.

For individuals, though, it's a case-by-case basis. Rick Perry's an idiot and we can clearly see times when he's let his religion dictate his action, rather than taking part in the thought process that leads to action. In all cases, though, I don't think religion should be the prime, dominating factor that has policies enacted. Look at women's rights in Saudi Arabia, and the case of Hamza Kashgari. They're both really shitty and wouldn't be the way they are if religion wasn't such a strong part of politics in Saudi Arabia.

Urbane

Who in face are you?!
Politicians, and people in general, are entitled to their own beliefs. My big problem is when those beliefs have a negative effect on others, really. Politicians forcing their religious morals on people who don't share their beliefs is pretty wrong, in my opinion, and religion shouldn't enter into serious political debate. But, as I said, politicians, if they're religious, will have their policies and opinions shaped by their religion. There's no preventing that, and trying to do so would be stupid. Overall, politicians have a right to their beliefs, but policies should attempt to be at least somewhat secular. In my opinion, of course.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
NOPE.

Just look at the Monarchies of Medieval - Mid 1800s Europe, "Divine Right Philosophy"; the Catholic Church's power during the Renaissance "The Borgias"; and the antics of Rick Perry and others.

If you put your own interpretation of a set of beliefs as your guideline to governing a country, you're just doing it wrong. Despite this, politics are influenced by religion in some ways - look at India-Pakistan issue in the late 1940s, when both countries were apart of Great Britain's India - they were divided as a result of violence and mobs and riots that occurred simply because most of the native Indians were Hindu or Sikh, whereas the Pakistanis were Muslim. Had Pakistan never been created as its own entity, then there would have been "a Hindu majority, with a Muslim minority," which would have resulted in more murders and riots.

You cannot allow your own set of religious beliefs to override your common sense when making governmental decisions, because otherwise you will stunt progress, have a declining population due to emigration, have a society of only like-minded individuals, or even have no society at all, merely chaos & anarchy.

Nelo Angelo

Enigma of Extreme
Awards
I think it's not at all inappropriate (but not necessarily appropriate to the extent where it's always preferable) for religion to be a part of politicians, but as said before, not part of politics itself. I see no harm in someone's religion being one of the various factors that determines the thought process that goes on to have policies adopted. That said, I think it would be innaporpriate if the person's religion was their thought process to push the policy.

For individuals, though, it's a case-by-case basis. Rick Perry's an idiot and we can clearly see times when he's let his religion dictate his action, rather than taking part in the thought process that leads to action. In all cases, though, I don't think religion should be the prime, dominating factor that has policies enacted. Look at women's rights in Saudi Arabia, and the case of Hamza Kashgari. They're both really shitty and wouldn't be the way they are if religion wasn't such a strong part of politics in Saudi Arabia.

Just a quick reminder bro that Saudi Arabia does not completely follow the teachings of the Religion of Islam in their country. The Kings of Saud and politicians have changed many things which was previoulsy a shariah compliant method to their own ideas and desires thus causing the problems you see there today. There are many scholars and Imaams there who speak about this regularly in Saudi Arabia highlighting this to bring them back to the way Islam has taught. But it actually won't happen (a few prophecies highlight this, long topic) Also a reminder for those who were not aware, that Islamic Shariah only applies to those who have accepted Islam, and not to those who have not. During the Prophet (pbuh) time, even though after Islam had prevailed and the majority of Arabia were Muslims, those who were still wishing to follow their own beliefs were allowed to do so and the laws of their own religion were used with them by the Islamic Ruler.

Anyways, my thoughts on this is that if the Religion is understood correctly in its teachings on the political side of things, as in how a communitys framework should be in politics, then they can indeed coniside as one unit. However, this case is seldom seen in any part of the world, so this is why it has given rise to the thoughts many of us have that they shouldn't mix. For me personally I don't delve too much into this (nor do I know a great deal about it to be honest so I probably won't discuss as much as I do in other topics) as first the correct teachings of a religion should be understood and highlighted and discussed to teach others. If it has been, then I believe the political side of things is easily understood and followed as they will go side by side.

Last edited:

Nutari

The Scotsman
Awards
To answer the question simply: it is unavoidable because of the media influence. They dig up everything about a candidate. So everything gets thrown on the table and then becomes a factor because most voting americans are too stupid to ignore the extra, unimportant crap.

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com

you do realize the saudis also follow an extremely small niche in the many school of thoughts in islam and have a very rigid structure within that niche i.e bedouin culture + salafi/wahabi islam

for the vast majority of islam's history, the integration of religion into politics has been successful in comparison to christianity's

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
you do realize the saudis also follow an extremely small niche in the many school of thoughts in islam and have a very rigid structure within that niche i.e bedouin culture + salafi/wahabi islam
I'm well aware the way they follow and practice Islam on a political level is a very small school of thought within it, but it nevertheless stems from it, even as an extreme interperetation. In this instance it might be like Islam + Mysogyny => Thought Process => Policy of making among the most oppressive places for women. A bill was just considered to have women with 'sexy eyes' cover their faces entirely, for goodness sake!

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
Why "especially Christians"? Oh yea because it's not like Muslim states like Iran believe in the state being inferior to the Qu'ran.................oh wait.

Anyway, there's a big difference between how my idyllic political system and society should work, and how it actually works and will be until the end.

I believe the government should not step in front of God's design for morality/society but I also believe the church shouldn't infiltrate political corridors with its agenda for things that have nothing to do with law or God's kingdom. The church, by design, should be a peaceful congregation, a hospital and rehab for sinners, and a means for God's influence to connect throughout the globe....not an annoying crusade against global warming, high taxes, etc. On the other side, as a Christian I'm bound to disapprove of government trying to wriggle out of God's natural order for law, justice, and morality, like gay marriage, and abortion, and all the typical issues you might think of.

But that kind of perfect system (of my mind) will never exist.

Where I stand is I'm a 20-year-old college student who really can't afford to waste much time thinking about how much my beliefs should intermingle with politics. I'm more interested in having honest people with sensible plans and budgets for the future of my country than personal belief distinctions.

And I'd like to say that idiots like Santorum really make me boil.

Alaude Drenxta

\+The Devil's+/ .{Advocate}.
And I'd like to say that idiots like Santorum really make me boil.

I'm actually quite glad to hear you say that. It seems a shame every time Santorum is pegged as the "christian candidate", I can't imagine the majority of christians being behind his sense of logic and law, it's fundamentally flawed.

Religion, itself, should have no place in politics. The distinction between your religious beliefs and personal beliefs should be fluid and not inter-changeable. If you believe in your religion, then you believe in what your religion speaks about. Instead of saying that God came to you in your sleep and told you that abortion is bad so it should be illegal, try explaining in a rational way the realistic reasons why you are against abortion on principle. God has his place in the world, and that place certainly is not between the Bible and the American public's throat.

We have a democratic system. We elect representatives who we believe will best represent what we want to see happen in our government. This means that religion will most assuredly play a part in the voting process, and that is perfectly okay, however, it should have no part in the campaign trail. If you feel you have to say "God" ten times every time you speak, then all you're doing is assuming that your voter base is ignorant and incapable of connecting your anti-abortion, anti-gay marriage beliefs to your personal religion. If they believe as you do, they will vote for you. If you're a douche about it, they won't.

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards
Why "especially Christians"?

Because as the OP stated, this topic is based off of an article (which I doubt anyone considered for the discussion), a Bible-based article, dealing with subjects primarily relating to Christianity.

However, as always, all are welcome to contribute - as they have.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
I can only say that that might be preferable for some people. It's been well and truly proven that a good and consistent moral perspective does not require religion. At the same time, it has been seen many times that religions and the religious aren't necessarily self-consistent.

That, along with all the nasty extra baggage religious morality can bring with it, means that religion needn't be brought into politics where morality is concerned.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
In my opinion, it depends on the type of government; but even then, it gets a little sketchy.

I mean, it's easy when it comes to theocratic government. That one's easy. It's just whatever the religion decides.

It's also easy in any government where one rules all (dictatorship, monarchy, etc.). It's whatever the ruler decides.

But when you get to a government like America's, it gets trickier thanks to the concept of "separation of church and state." However, I don't really think separation of church and state means that religion cannot play a part in political matters. It makes no sense to deny someone their religion simply because they enter into politics, since that's usually a pretty decent-sized portion of who they are as an individual.

I think the concept really means is that one shouldn't have "direct" influence over the other. The government can't impose a standard religion, just any given church cannot impose itself upon the government. However, I think that religion can be used in decision making so long as the requirements of the form of government are met.

For example, they can draw up a bill using whatever reasoning they want (religion included) so long as it's put to a vote. America's system is designed to be "rule of the majority," and if that's being achieved based on how it is currently set up, then there's nothing intrinsically wrong with using religion. Now, you can argue whether or not the "majority" is truly being heard under the system, but that's an entirely separate argument, lol

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
Please don't. We won't force our lifestyles on you if you don't force your lifestyles on us. Deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back