• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Do you sympathize with the homeless?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

denizenofevil

I live in a city where the mayor is considering putting up a permanent homeless campsite in the heart of downtown near all of our sports stadiums. I was reading the comments on the news article and I'm seeing varying views on the homeless people. Some are saying it's a good thing that we're providing them a place to stay. Most of the other people, myself included, think that this will just encourage and enable them to stay homeless instead of helping them get out of their situation, attract more homeless people from out of state, cost a lot of taxpayer money, bring about more crime, and ruin the beauty of the city.

What do you think? Do you think homeless people choose to be the way they are or have they just fallen on bad times? If a similar situation was happening where you lived, how would you react?

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
I live in a city where the mayor is considering putting up a permanent homeless campsite in the heart of downtown near all of our sports stadiums. I was reading the comments on the news article and I'm seeing varying views on the homeless people. Some are saying it's a good thing that we're providing them a place to stay. Most of the other people, myself included, think that this will just encourage and enable them to stay homeless instead of helping them get out of their situation, attract more homeless people from out of state, cost a lot of taxpayer money, bring about more crime, and ruin the beauty of the city.

What do you think? Do you think homeless people choose to be the way they are or have they just fallen on bad times? If a similar situation was happening where you lived, how would you react?

Some fall on bad times, some are lazy, and some have always been that way. Same with some willing to work, others being lazy, and a few that have worked every day of their lives. You can't put all of these people into a group and say "You're all going to work at this job." Not in a thinking sense, no, but some kind of thing will happen that does just that.

Were there more time to understand the homeless and learn of their plight, then proper care and job-seeking, etc., could be fulfilled. Okay, I'm stopping at that, because I'd rather not go on.

Get a job Grouch.

Marly

All right, don't have a crap attack
Awards
What a very circumstantial question to ask. That's all I can really say. For me at least, it's very circumstantial.

Fractured_Heart628

Bronze Member
They should do something to help the homeless. I mean, one of the causes of homelessness is our economy. Not many people are not hiring, because there isn't enough cash to hire people.

denizenofevil

Okay, perhaps I should make it more clear what it is I'm asking. Do you thinking building shelters like this is enabling people to be homeless? Do you think there is a way we could help them out of their situation and have them contribute to society at the same time? Is there a solution to homelessness? Any stories to share?

I was with a coworker once when we passed by a homeless guy on my way to work. My coworker gave the homeless guy a bag of potato chips that we had on us. He looked at it, got angry, tossed it to the ground and stepped on it. He told us that he didn't want it. He wanted some money. He might have been insane but I found myself less sympathetic towards him.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
Okay, perhaps I should make it more clear what it is I'm asking. Do you thinking building shelters like this is enabling people to be homeless? Do you think there is a way we could help them out of their situation and have them contribute to society at the same time? Is there a solution to homelessness?

Give them the tools, resources, instructions, and such to build their shelters with. Leave to them the choice of rebuilding their lives anew. You cannot force someone to willingly do what you want them to do, and them be happy of it. Let them make the decision.

Just remember, everyone loves helping people. Even me, and even you.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
On any given night in America, anywhere from 700,000 to 2 million people are homeless, according to estimates of the National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty.
According to a December, 2000 report of the US Conference of Mayors:

single men comprise 44 percent of the homeless, single women 13 percent, families with children 36 percent, and unaccompanied minors seven percent.
the homeless population is about 50 percent African-American, 35 percent white, 12 percent Hispanic, 2 percent Native American and 1 percent Asian.

This is ten-year old information. The fcuk..

Marly

Awards
66 percent of the homeless have problems with alcohol, drug abuse, or mental illness.

And given the severe economic decline and the rise of unemployment we've seen in the last decade, it stands to reason that some of these statistics have since changed for the worse.

the_more_you_know2.jpg

Marly

Awards
. . . Er, I mean, I've never been homeless, but it sounds pretty stressful to me.

E

Eyesore

[video=youtube;PNHIETXh4Vw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNHIETXh4Vw[/video]

This vid pretty much sums up my thoughts.
Watch it, it's good <3.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
I find homelessness to be a situation that is incredibly circumstantial and unique to each homeless person. You can't assume someone's homeless because of their actions, but neither can you assume them to be homeless because they're stuck that way, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back