• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Daily Exercise Thread

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean

Ehhhhhh
Awards
It's about that time DM. Time for us to get off our lazy asses and work on perfecting our niche.

DAILY EXERCISE THREAD

What is this?

Just a little something to stretch our limits in terms of what we're perfectly fine with making and otherwise. Most of the time I'll be taking you out of your comfort zone in order to make you people versatile with your productions.

B-But what if I don't wanna do this?

Yeah, nah, you're gonna do this. Even if you haven't opened PS in a year. Even if you want to do something that's even remotely art related in terms of Digital or Traditional you're gonna do this. There's 24 hours in a day and I'm sure if you have time to browse KHI you have time to open up PS, IS, GIMP or whatever the hell you use and dabble in it from 30 seconds to an hour or so. None of these challenges will take you more than an hour (unless of course you have more time then by all means go right ahead).

Hey how can a bunch of KHI kiddies afford all the Adobe products?

There are...ways. If you don't like those ways get GIMP or a trial of Paint Tool Sai (for tablet users).

I can't into tagging ;_; What do I do?

Good. Most of these exercises wont be tag oriented. Graphic artists are called to make pieces that include a wide variety of themes. To be quite honest, you won't be needing a program for some of these exercises. Just a working internet connection.

What if I miss some exercises?

What? You're not gonna miss them. On the slight chance that you do, make it up and post it. Think of this like your homework but actually fun. You're not gonna get graded but since this is DM you WILL be critiqued so anyone new to the section please don't get bootytickled if someone takes 3 paragraphs to deconstruct your piece. You should be grateful ffs.

Hey wait...you're gone most of the time Sean what if YOU miss a day to post one?

I'm usually up around 8 am PST so if I don't have an exercise up by 10 am I'm either hungover or in class/work. In that instance one of the mods of the section can post an exercise.

So essentially you're gonna be the only one making these exercises?

Yes.

Feel free to ask questions as time goes on.

Sean

Ehhhhhh
Awards
Exercise List

Date | Subject | # Completed
4/18 | Speed Test + Extra | 1
4/19 | Redesign | 2
4/20 | Album Art | 0

Last edited:

Sean

Ehhhhhh
Awards
Exercise # 1

Subject - Speed Test
Directions - You will have 2 minutes to create something as aesthetically pleasing as possible. Could be a minimalist or go all out with your effects.
Program - Any
Size - Any
Typography - Preferred
Retries - Unlimited
Hints - Smaller canvases are easier to cover in a short amount of time than larger ones. But work with anything you feel is in your limits.

----

Extra!

Subject - Kerning
Directions - Kern Type, the kerning game
Program - N/A
Size - N/A
Typography - Well...yeah.
Retries - Unlimited
Hints - None but this is bretty gud practice for typesetting.

Last edited:

Ðari

Look at you, armor-less
Staff member
Awards
Lol can I bring some photography related photoshop excercises here? (this is a good question, digitally altered photos are still traditional media?)

Sean

Ehhhhhh
Awards
Lol can I bring some photography related photoshop excercises here? (this is a good question, digitally altered photos are still traditional media?)

Since this covers all types of media I don't mind.

Color Me Evil

versus
Awards
I mean... I would love to be able to do this every day, but it's pretty unrealistic given my college schedule but I'd love to participate as much as possible.

Pablo

rocket sloth
Awards
Website
prodimator.tumblr.com
I mean... I would love to be able to do this every day, but it's pretty unrealistic given my college schedule but I'd love to participate as much as possible.

I agree. I'm not sure what kind of scale you had in mind for these assignments, but larger scale ones might be hard to accomplish every day.

Ðari

Look at you, armor-less
Staff member
Awards
I agree. I'm not sure what kind of scale you had in mind for these assignments, but larger scale ones might be hard to accomplish every day.

If it makes you feel any better, the assignments I've been doing for my classes were examples from sites and digital books (that my prof. made copies of on a flashdrive for me when I asked) and they walk you through it. Still I think its recommended to be familiar with your tools.

Sean

Ehhhhhh
Awards
These aren't meant to be huge by any stretch of the imagination. Like stated above they'll take anywhere from 30 seconds to an hour. I won't ask for any more time than that.

Sean

Ehhhhhh
Awards
3 or 4 days without results and I'll end up closing the thread.

Exercise # 2

Subject - Redesign
Directions - Go to Random Logos « Logo Faves | Logo Inspiration Gallery and choose one of the logos from the first page. Simply make your own version of that logo. Post the original and your version upon submission.
Program - Any
Size - 500x247
Typography - Strongly preferred
Time - 15-40 Minutes
Retries - 2
Hints - The title of the company could give you a direction to take your design.

Ðari

Look at you, armor-less
Staff member
Awards
Exercise # 1

Subject - Speed Test
Directions - You will have 2 minutes to create something as aesthetically pleasing as possible. Could be a minimalist or go all out with your effects.
Program - Any
Size - Any
Typography - Preferred
Retries - Unlimited
Hints - Smaller canvases are easier to cover in a short amount of time than larger ones. But work with anything you feel is in your limits.

4/18/2013

Simple adjustment tools, vignetted image, cranked saturation, contrast, type, and sharpen.
pfft more like 8 minutes lol.

----

Extra!

Subject - Kerning
Directions - Kern Type, the kerning game
Program - N/A
Size - N/A
Typography - Well...yeah.
Retries - Unlimited
Hints - None but this is bretty gud practice for typesetting.

4th try 74/100
God I suck.

Last edited:

Sean

Ehhhhhh
Awards
I thought it was as easy as saving it as a .png but hey I could be wrong I haven't used Illustrator in months. I'll throw my results up there when I get back home (an hour at the most).

Ðari

Look at you, armor-less
Staff member
Awards
Excercise #2
Programs used: Adobe Illustrator CS5

Try #1

Reference:
db_m.jpg

Redesign:
darkbirdredesign_by_grandoisecanti-d62a90w.png

-_- if anyone else uses illustrator, please please PLEASE tell me a better way to manipulate anchor points, because they can get INSANELY pessimistic.

:x messed up the size too, will set to pixels on my second try.

Last edited:

Sean

Ehhhhhh
Awards
Exercise 1:

Something I made a few days ago under the same criteria. 1:48 tops.

2zso1ud.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back