• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Could KH3 be released on the series' 13th anniversary

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Changer

So like the title said, do you guys think that KH3 will be released on the 13th anniversary of the series debut, which in Japan's case, was March 28th, 2002? Most guesses already point to the game being released in 2015, so do you think that Square will go for the exact 13th anniversary date?

State

Awards
That would be creatively brilliant, to be completely honest.

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
I think that's a great idea and it would be brilliant if it just happened to work out that way, but making games isn't so cut and paste and many problems could come up that could cause the release to be pushed back even slightly (and we wouldn't know about it) so it may not be in the end.

Personally, as long as I get the game I'm good haha xD (before 2017 preferably).

billyzanesucks

That sounds way too early. This is Osaka's first time creating a HD game from scratch (on next-gen consoles, no less) and it's in very early stages. Expecting them to finish it in less than two years seems overly optimistic to me. I expect it to come out in 2016 or 2017.

Korai

Awards
That sounds way too early. This is Osaka's first time creating a HD game from scratch (on next-gen consoles, no less) and it's in very early stages. Expecting them to finish it in less than two years seems overly optimistic to me. I expect it to come out in 2016 or 2017.
yeah, I feel that 2015 is a bit early, but maybe they'll release a special trailer or merchandise or something.

Changer

But what about Nomura's comment that there would be a KH game every year?

Also I recall reading somewhere that the game has been in development since 2010. Can anyone confirm this or is my memory playing tricks on me?

Korai

Awards

Also I recall reading somewhere that the game has been in development since 2010. Can anyone confirm this or is my memory playing tricks on me?
No, I remember hearing that it was in development since BBS too, which is 2010

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I think they'd probably try to aim for it, especially because of how poetic it'd be. I wouldn't expect it exactly that date, but I can see them aim for 2015 to make it in time for the 13th year at the very least.

This is why they've done a bunch of prep work before diving into full development to make it easier for them. I think it'd be absolutely ridiculous if they took more than three years to get this game out, especially since the Osaka team is probably one of the best departments when it comes to sticking to a schedule next to the DQ dev department and the mobile department. Also, SE cannot afford to waste time on this game. Their problem for the PS360 gen was that they couldn't get any games out on those systems at a fast enough rate.

Honestly, I don't see them having any major problems developing an HD game from scratch despite never working with these next-gen consoles. They have definitely been trained to work with the PS4 and XB1 dev kits at some point in the last two years since they were sent out, so the only potential problem I can see is working with Luminous. The engine sounds fantastic, but obviously it would be one of the first games they'd be using it for besides FFXV and I don't even think the engine is 100% complete at this point.

They honestly announced KH3 too early, but now they will need to deal with that and have a fantastic turnout for this game. 2015-2016. 2017 would be insane.

They only just started dev this year and by the way Nomura said it, it seems like it only just happened very recently.

Last edited:

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

IGN had no idea what they were talking about.

After Osaka completed BBS, they went on to work on BBSFM, followed by several key staff helping h.a.n.d. with Re:coded. Once that was done, they jumped into KH3D. It's more likely to say that around the time some staff joined up with a number from Tokyo to work on the HD remasters, the rest had begun planning for III.

Korai

Awards
IGN had no idea what they were talking about.

After Osaka completed BBS, they went on to work on BBSFM, followed by several key staff helping h.a.n.d. with Re:coded. Once that was done, they jumped into KH3D. It's more likely to say that around the time some staff joined up with a number from Tokyo to work on the HD remasters, the rest had begun planning for III.
This must be what I remember hearing, then

Changer

OK so development on 3 is just starting. That does makes more sense, considering how little was shown in the announcement trailer.
Well, hopefully Osaka can still make the anniversary, and they might get a little help once the FFXV team is done. While we're on this topic, does anyone know how long KH1 and KH2's development took, because that might give us a better idea of what to expect.

Also,
"They honestly announced KH3 too early"
Never thought I'd hear those words.

Last edited by a moderator:

State

Awards
I think Q3 2015 is reasonable enough for a KH3 release. The anniversary is in March, sure, but they can promote the game BIG time since that date 'til the day it's released.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
OK so development on 3 is just starting. That does makes more sense, considering how little was shown in the announcement trailer.
Well, hopefully Osaka can still make the anniversary, and they might get a little help once the FFXV team is done. While we're on this topic, does anyone know how long KH1 and KH2's development took, because that might give us a better idea of what to expect.

Also,
"They honestly announced KH3 too early"
Never thought I'd hear those words.

Would rather have waited several more years when they were far enough down the line to actually show and tell us something of value on a regular basis, rather than revealing it far too early to satisfy those who had grown impatient.

Like Ethy said, "please return to sender."

Changer

Would rather have waited several more years when they were far enough down the line to actually show and tell us something of value on a regular basis, rather than revealing it far too early to satisfy those who had grown impatient.

Like Ethy said, "please return to sender."

No I understand, I just think that its kind of funny how we've been waiting for this game for so long and when it's finally announced we decide that they could've kept us in the dark a little longer.
Kind of ironic, lol.

Last edited:

billyzanesucks

I can see KHIII being released in the last third of 2015, but March is pretty early. I'm betting on Q4 2015-Q4 2016.

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
Assuming KH3's pre-development started sometime last summer, they already have about a year's work thrown into the game. At this point they should have a near complete idea of what the game actually is gonna be. Two years from now, I can see the game being complete. A 2015 release would fit with the whole one game a year plan Nomura had though. 2.5 in 2014. KH3 in 2015. It's certainly a possibility.

I still kinda expect/hope for a 2016 release. Osaka rushed on 3D and it has a lot of tiny problems that could have been fine tuned, and I really hope KH3 doesn't wind up like that. 2016 will have passed by the opportunity for the 13th year, but I think the game's quality is something a bit more important than some symbolism.

State

Awards
That's another thing; I pray to God this game isn't hurried.

Accelerator

Great idea, considering the amount of 13's in kingdom hearts but its doubtful, development for a HD next-gen game would be harder than a SD current gen game

Santiago

I can't help but feel this could be a double-edged sword, seeing as the number thirteen is also associated with bad luck.

Gexus

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
The Osaka team definitely is capable of releasing games on a tight schedule, but I think they've been aiming for 2015 for quite some time now.

Even though actual development for the game just started this year, they've been doing prep work for at least a year or longer. Besides, developing for the PS4/Xbone generation is apparently easier than for current gen, which should also help.

But seeing as the Square Enix teams tend to help each other from time to time, I think they're going to get some help when the time comes. KH3 is after all a very high profile game for them, and they're going to do their absolute best not to screw it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back