• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Anyone feeling a little nervous about KH3?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

limit

Ever since I heard the Osaka team is gonna work on KH3, I've just had this nervous feeling in the back of my head that KH3 isn't gonna be what I expect. I mean, the game is definitely going to be good, but in my opinion this is supposed to be THE pinnacle of the series:

Story in general as amazing as KH1 (including a spectacular ending that makes it a masterpiece)
Entire game as fun to play through as KH2/KH3D
Darker elements of BBS (This is the climax, heck Sora is supposed to be more mature - there should be a darker tone)

I don't know if the Osaka team is actually better than the original since they only made 2 portable games, as opposed to the 2 console games made by the latter. For example, KH3D got the plot WAY too convoluted, I still can't fully understand the whole time travel thing.

Feeling a little better after posting, though.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
The Osaka team has more experience with Kingdom Hearts than the PDD1 team does at this point.

The plot of the games is not the fault of the developers btw, it's the fault of the writers and director.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Osaka had nothing to do with the plot. Their games are arguably the funnest games in the series to play, and the most action packed.

It's a bit too early for worry and doubt though. We still have awhile to go before we might get to see actual footage from the game. It's better to judge when we know more than to judge when we know next to nothing.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
What Taochan said.

But if you expect this to be pinnacle, you're probably going to set yourself up for disappointment. Not that you shouldn't keep your hopes high. I personally don't like DDD as much as 2 myself.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Ever since I heard the Osaka team is gonna work on KH3, I've just had this nervous feeling in the back of my head that KH3 isn't gonna be what I expect. I mean, the game is definitely going to be good, but in my opinion this is supposed to be THE pinnacle of the series:

Story in general as amazing as KH1 (including a spectacular ending that makes it a masterpiece)
Darker elements of BBS (This is the climax, heck Sora is supposed to be more mature - there should be a darker tone)

I don't know if the Osaka team is actually better than the original since they only made 2 portable games, as opposed to the 2 console games made by the latter. For example, KH3D got the plot WAY too convoluted, I still can't fully understand the whole time travel thing.

Feeling a little better after posting, though.

The Osaka team made Re:Chain of Memories, Birth by Sleep, Birth by Sleep Final Mix, (helped out with) Re:coded, Dream Drop Distance and HD 1.5 ReMIX. They are most likely also doing HD 2.5 ReMIX.

Not only have they either developed fully or had a hand in every title following KH2FM, but they will have been exposed to the titles preceding thanks to the HD remasters. In a way you could say that they would be the ones who understand the series best.

You can really blame the scenario on an entire development team as very few actually contributed to it.

limit

Hehe, silly me, I thought the Osaka team included writers... feeling much better now!

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
It's impossible to know what to expect and therefore pointless to be nervous or anticipatory at this early stage. We have possibly a year or more before we even see a viable trailer that isn't purely conceptual; and the good news is that once that starts happening, the folks here at KHI who are smarter than any of us will pick up on the direction the game is headed in pretty quick. In that, at least, I have total confidence.

DDD was a mess of a game, with a lot of highs and lows and good writing and bad writing, but ultimately I think it was a bit of a placeholder intended to keep the series on a forward track without advancing the plot too far. I think most if not all of the bad writing stemmed from the requirement that it juggle story development whilst positioning itself as a prelude to the finale, not resolving too much but tying up just the most relevant loose ends. Considering how little actually happened in DDD outside of TWTNW, I really think everything relevant could have been incorporated into KH3 easily (without the time travel schtick), but that's just me.

Regardless, I don't think KH3 will suffer from the same conundrum. With KH3, Nomura and all the staff can put both feet forward on bringing the series to a close; they don't have to develop any lingering conflicts (though they likely will), they don't have to leave standing any questions as to where characters are or what the mystery is behind such-and-such a character's actions might be, and there doesn't have to be a cliffhanger to build hype for the next installment. There are fewer restrictions on where the story can go, for better or for worse, and I think in some ways it will be as liberating for the KH team as working on KH1 was (despite the team being somewhat different now). For that reason alone I believe we're going to see a game that's less concerned with trying to one-up its own complexity with expeditious retcons and unlikely plot twists, and instead tell an earnest and straightforward tale much like that of KH1. Unless Nomura's head is really that far up his youknowwhat, I think he knows that's what everyone wants. Every KH game has been at its best when it's about feelings and friendship and the simple, heartfelt connections people can make with each other. KH3 simply has to deliver in form.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
I mean, the game is definitely going to be good, but in my opinion this is supposed to be THE pinnacle of the series:

Then you are setting yourself up for disappointment. KH3 is probably going to be about as good as BBS/KH2. If you liked those games, then you don't have much to worry about, just don't expect it to be much better (I really, really don't think expecting an ending that makes it a masterpiece is in the cards).

It's also waaaaaaay too early to be saying too much about the game in general considering all we have is a teaser trailer and some minor gameplay details. Though honestly, I'm expecting that the result of trying to tie together the last several games' hilarious stories is not going to end up that well. I'm expecting a lot of fans to be disappointed with how that turns out regardless of how good it actually is, but i'm not super invested in the series so I really don't care either way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back