• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Tech ► Amazon's Delivery Air drones.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Supermonkey64

Amazon Prime Air drones revealed on 60 Minutes, aim to deliver in half an hour (video)

BY MAT SMITH 1 day ago557

Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos took to 60 Minutes to reveal the company's latest delivery method: drones. In what is likely a cunning reminder of the e-tailer's upcoming Cyber Monday sales, these bots will apparently be capable of delivering packages up to five pounds (86 percent of orders are apparently less than that), with the aim of getting them to your house in under half an hour. The system is called Prime Air and the octo-copter drones, which wait, ready to deliver, at the end of conveyor belts, have a range of 10 miles. As Amazon puts it, "Putting Prime Air into commercial use will take some number of years as we advance the technology and wait for the necessary FAA rules and regulations" and Bezos himself added in the TV segment that it won't be before 2015 at the very earliest. While it sounds like they''ll take their time to get here (if they ever do), we've at least got a video of the drones in action -- it's right after the break.

557 COMMENTS

[video=youtube;98BIu9dpwHU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98BIu9dpwHU[/video]

I'm really amazed by this and in 30 minutes too. Its very convenient for delivery from Amazon.

Source: Amazon Prime Air drones revealed on 60 Minutes, aim to deliver in half an hour (video)

Reagan Rayden

Exploding Man
Awards
Probably won't be worth whatever it costs to actually deliver anything.

D

Deleted member 36435

If it is free with Prime it will probably be worth it.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
It cuts time and wages for delivery men. Seems like a good idea, depending on how much both the drones and their fuel cost. And as long as they can find the address without problem.

Gray Aria

The Misshapen Spark
Awards
I don't see this working out well for people who live in apartment buildings and similar residences. Otherwise, I do think this is a great idea. But then again, there will probably be people who try to catch the drone and steal the package. I can imagine someone shooting a drone down with a rifle as it flies over their house, mistaking it for a spy drone or something.

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
You can't buy a bomb on Amazon. These will probably be available only in highly populated areas, I doubt people will go around pulling their guns out to shoot them. If someone catches a drone somehow, I'm pretty sure Amazon would be tracking the whereabouts of all their drones and the thief would be in trouble.

This is a really good idea and was honestly pretty inevitable. And if it ain't free for Prime customers, it'll probably have a significant discount for them. Can't wait to see how it all turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back