• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

A powerful weapon's name...

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Re: CHI-blade

Well, MX's speech said it was possible to call it Kai-blade, just like in the Japanese. They didn't change it. So you can call it the Kaiblade if you want to. But, just like the original game, it's pronounced more like 'ki'. If you want to complain, complain about the original.

Man, I hope the people complaining about this not being changed aren't the same people complaining about the changes to Braig's gun and the like. I think the closer to the original game, the better for our understanding of the universe of KH.

Allister Rose

French Lover

Well, MX's speech said it was possible to call it Kai-blade, just like in the Japanese. They didn't change it. So you can call it the Kaiblade if you want to. But, just like the original game, it's pronounced more like 'ki'. If you want to complain, complain about the original.

Man, I hope the people complaining about this not being changed aren't the same people complaining about the changes to Braig's gun and the like. I think the closer to the original game, the better for our understanding of the universe of KH.

the original didn't even pronounce it exactly like like "ki" either, it was more of the literal "chi" as in "cheese". chibureido.

as for braigs guns....i haven't played terra's scenario yet. did they censor it like in kh2? if it then that's upsetting.

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

the original didn't even pronounce it exactly like like "ki" either, it was more of the literal "chi" as in "cheese". chibureido.

as for braigs guns....i haven't played terra's scenario yet. did they censor it like in kh2? if it then that's upsetting.

Eh, I heard kii.

They censored where he puts his guns into one.

Allister Rose

French Lover

Eh, I heard kii.

They censored where he puts his guns into one.
there was some times when MX pronounced it kibureido, but there were also times when he said shibureido aswell. especially when he says it fast...or maybe he says it too fast that it makes it sound like chibureido.

very unfortunate that they censor braig/xigbar...it gets annoying when they do that kind of stuff.

krexia

Translator
Awards

I understand why they did that, but I thought the other way sounded better.
I'm confused about what the "other way" you're referring to is. The X-blade has always been pronounced the same as "Keyblade".

there was some times when MX pronounced it kibureido, but there were also times when he said shibureido aswell.
When did this happen? As far as I remember, the Japanese version always had "kiibureido" with a hard 'k' sound.

Allister Rose

French Lover

When did this happen? As far as I remember, the Japanese version always had "kiibureido" with a hard 'k' sound.
like i said, i probably heard it as chibureido when he said it fast. but i'll check if he actually says it. i have two scenes where he could have said it like that.

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Yeah, cause the greek letter 'chi' is pronounced 'k', like in 'chiropractor' and 'Achilles' and 'chimera'... lol I think people read 'chi' on wiki or something and got confused...

Epif

The Delicious
Website
epiphany-delirium.tumblr.com

God that was irritating.

I finally got to the end of BbS in Terra's story, and I spoiled myself with the Japanese version. I know about the X-blade, and by god, it sounded cool.

But they took the "correct" pronunciation and called it a CHI-blade. This really ruined the whole X-Blade (KEYblade, whatever) situation with me. Did anyone else feel the same way?

... Xina... China...

THEY RUINED CHINA, TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

But no, the X-Blade or Ecks-Blade... whatevz. At first I read "Xion" as "zih.uhn", y'know, like "Xigbar" and "Xaldin", but then they said "shih.uhn", and it really didn't matter. The same with X-Blade and Ecks-Blade.

[EDIT:
I'm actually unsure if it was "Qina" or something like that... but the point is the same...]

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

But no, the X-Blade or Ecks-Blade... whatevz. At first I read "Xion" as "zih.uhn", y'know, like "Xigbar" and "Xaldin", but then they said "shih.uhn", and it really didn't matter. The same with X-Blade and Ecks-Blade.

See, 'shion' means several things in Japanese, so they kept that pronunciation to retain the connections. It's the same with 'χblade'. It means something in Greek, so they kept that pronunciation when they made it English.

Allister Rose

French Lover

yeah unfortuantely nomura had to make that canon....

EDIT:though the major difference is that X-blade is spelled witha greek X and shion is spelled as XIon. so no need to change it's pronounciation.....though marlusha sounds like Mar-lusha (lucia) which is also a flower....still, it isn't necessary for shion and marluxia. especially xion....

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

yeah unfortuantely nomura had to make that canon....

EDIT:though the major difference is that X-blade is spelled witha greek X and shion is spelled as XIon. so no need to change it's pronounciation.....though marlusha sounds like Mar-lusha (lucia) which is also a flower....still, it isn't necessary for shion and marluxia. especially xion....

Do you just, really hate ancient greece or something? Why have you got such a grudge against their letters?

riku911

Looks fugly. I wished I never saw that thing, I wish more that I will never see it in Sora's hand in the sequels.

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

i was mainly referring to shion-xion situation.....not the greek X thing.

Ah. Well, I think it is kinda weird since Xion is the only Org member whose name means something in Japanese; all the others are anagrams that seem to be based on more English sounding words and names. I mean, I know Xion comes from No. i, but even so, she has those extra special Japanese meanings on top, and she's the only one iirc. Apart from Roxas, that is, but even then it's just an anagram of a Japanese word, and that's directly explained in the plot, and has no special extra meanings.

Maybe it's cause in the canon, Xion was created by Vexen, so her name makes sense to be chosen more calculatingly than someone being given a name from birth. But it's still a little weird.

In any case, I like it when things match up. And changing it to 'zaion' would have broken the meanings that 'shion' (紫苑, 潮音) has.

Allister Rose

French Lover

In any case, I like it when things match up. And changing it to 'zaion' would have broken the meanings that 'shion' (紫苑, 潮音) has.
though shion's name isn't explained in game like X-blade was.....so thats why i thought it should've been zai-on or Zee-on. which would've been ironic considering there was a tv short movie about a girl named zeon

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

though shion's name isn't explained in game like X-blade was.....so thats why i thought it should've been zai-on or Zee-on. which would've been ironic considering there was a tv short movie about a girl named zeon

Even if it isn't explained, those meanings exist and are very fitting and clever. We were never told in the games that that Sora, Riku and Kairi mean sky, land and sea. And we weren't told that Ventus, Aqua and Terra mean wind, water and land. It wasn't explained to us that Erauqs is Square backwards or that Yen Sid is Disney backwards, or any of those things. But even without being told we can do a little research and find them out, if we don't know already, and that's kind of cool.

Allister Rose

French Lover

Even if it isn't explained, those meanings exist and are very fitting and clever. We were never told in the games that that Sora, Riku and Kairi mean sky, land and sea. And we weren't told that Ventus, Aqua and Terra mean wind, water and land. It wasn't explained to us that Erauqs is Square backwards or that Yen Sid is Disney backwards, or any of those things. But even without being told we can do a little research and find them out, if we don't know already, and that's kind of cool.
SRK TAV names aren't important.....erauqs? well no one cares about that anymore, and yensid was known even before kh.

problem is xion's meaning is mainly has to do with her pronunciation more than the spelling, and it's japanese orientation, for SE they should really try to keep KH more localized (only the names of course).

shio (tide) is unconfirmed, shion (forget me not flower) is....though if she had some flower connotation, in-game, i thought it would be suitable

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

SRK TAV names aren't important.....erauqs? well no one cares about that anymore, and yensid was known even before kh.

That's utter bullshit. They may not be something the plot revolves around, but they are important; why do you think Riku was saying that strange thing about the sky connecting everything at the end of BBS? One sky, one destiny...? Names are chosen for a reason. From the way this argument is heading

(you: meaning of 'shion' wasn't explained in the game so it should have been changed
me: most names aren't explained in the game
you: no names are important)

it seems like you personally just don't give a crap about the creative process behind naming things. And that might be your own opinion but that doesn't mean things 'don't matter' or 'no one cares,' that just means YOU don't care.

problem is xion's meaning is mainly has to do with her pronunciation more than the spelling, and it's japanese orientation, for SE they should really try to keep KH more localized (only the names of course).

So you think SRK should be Skye, Clay and Marina or something??

shio (tide) is unconfirmed, shion (forget me not flower) is....though if she had some flower connotation, in-game, i thought it would be suitable

Tide is confirmed, too.

I was the one who put forward the premise of Xion, and very much of what I discussed and decided was adopted. This includes her name, which I thought about deeply. It’s already touched upon in the Ultimania, but Xion’s name corresponds to Naminé (波音, ‘the sound of waves’) as Shion (潮音, ‘the sound of the tide’), as well as being an anagram of X and ‘the Number that Never Was’, the imaginary number No. i. Then there’s one more thing. The flower Aster tataricus [‘shion’ in Japanese] means ‘I won’t forget you’ [in Japanese floriography].

From here.

It's not the flower itself that she is connected to, but the meaning of the flower. Japanese floriography is called 'language of flowers,' 花言葉 for that reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back