• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

A (not so) small request

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

ardyH

I'm not sure if this belongs here or if I'm even permitted to ask for this but if there is a problem with this being here, I ask that the mods inform me in a message before taking it down/moving it.

Hi all,

As some of you may or may not have read from the previous thread I started where I spoke of my difficulties with KH2, I am unable to access part of the game, but managed to do most of it anyway because I had a save file from years ago that was saved just after the point I was stuck on. I have tried repairing the scratch on the disc, but the area is still inaccessible to me and the problem now that I am nearing the end of the game is that I cannot get one of the synthesis materials that can only be obtained from that area, and thus, cannot complete Ultima Weapon.

What I'm proposing is simple enough. I can get you my save file and then you can copy it, get the material (Frost Stone*), leave Timeless River, save, copy, and then send it back to me. Ideally, there are two files that I'd like to have with this done (one just after Timeless River, and the other at around the ending), but just the one (just after Timeless River) will do.

What's in it for you? Well, to be honest, I don't have much to offer anyone and even if I could (which I can't) pay people for it, I wouldn't because that tends to make things awfully messy. But, what I can do, to show my gratitude is to make banners/avatars/etc for you. From what I've seen, people here like to have fancy signatures and I'm not so bad at making this kinda thing, so if you're interested, here's your chance. I don't really believe that this is a fair exchange for all the trouble I'll be putting someone through, but it's about all I have to offer. For the most part, I'm just counting on the kindness of strangers and the community's sympathy for a KH-enthusiast who's been screwed by poor disc-handling.

What you'll need: A backwards compatible PS3, a copy of the European (PAL) Kingdom Hearts 2, a USB stick (doesn't matter how much memory it has), a computer, and an email address.

If you'd like to give me a hand, please send me a message and I'll email you the instructions on what to do, how to do it, and so on as well as the save files you'll need. Once again, I'll add that it's best that you message me if you'd like to help rather than respond here. Instead, I'd rather people just use this thread for questions and comments and so on about this whole thing.

*Frost Stone is a synthesis material that is only dropped by Hot-rods and Aeroplanes (two heartless that are found only in Timeless River). If you can get one Frost Stone, it'll be all I need because every other synthesis material is easily found during the course of the game.

To summarise: I need someone to get me a material from Timeless River on one of my save files and then I need that someone to send the new file back to me. In return, I'd be happy to make avatars/banners/etc. If you want to help, send me a message.

Last edited:

ardyH

Well... good luck with that. I would help, but I have no idea how to do what you're asking.

For starters, do you have everything from the 'what you'll need' section? If you do, then I can tell you exactly how to do it. It's simple enough but if I included the instruction list in my post, it would've been too big.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I can't help you with that because I don't have everything you say I'd need to do this kinda thing, nor the time to spare. Good luck with that.

Jakek9

I'd love to help! Problem is my PS3 isn't backwards compatible so good luck on finding someone!

Amata

Website
fmableach.ipbfree.com
I'm guessing a PS2 wouldn't work with this... if you still have the receipt for your copy of the game surely you could go back to wherever you bought it and exchange it?

Key

Exile
Awards
i'd love to help, but my PS3 isn't backwards-compatible (much to my dismay...)

you sure you can't go back to the store and replace it? if you still have the receipt, i think you can do that.

ardyH

I can't help you with that because I don't have everything you say I'd need to do this kinda thing, nor the time to spare. Good luck with that.

Not to be rude, but, why even respond to the topic?

ardyH

I'm guessing a PS2 wouldn't work with this... if you still have the receipt for your copy of the game surely you could go back to wherever you bought it and exchange it?

I'm afraid not. The way it works is, PS2 games' save files saved in a PS3 are saved in a different format to the PS2 files saved on a PS2 memory card and converting them is a travesty. On top of that, even if I was able to convert them, there'd be no way for the person receiving my files to put them on their system because unlike a PS3 that has USB ports, a PS2 can only interact with memory cards (as far as I know) and a memory card does not interact with a computer (or anything besides a PS1/2) without a lot of hassle.

ardyH

i'd love to help, but my PS3 isn't backwards-compatible (much to my dismay...)

you sure you can't go back to the store and replace it? if you still have the receipt, i think you can do that.

The backwards PS3 situation has always sort of puzzled me. When I play PS2 games on my PS3, it tends to make a bit more noise, but it has the ability to play them. I never understood why Sony stopped putting backwards in PS3's.

Well, for starters, I'm not even sure what store I bought it from when I did and the likeliest candidate went out of business a while ago xD But no, not a chance. I can't return it because not only has it been years since I bought it, but the scratches are most definitely either my fault or the fault of a family member or friend who has handled the disc in the last couple years.

I'd be happy buying another copy for full retail price when it came out (€ 59.99) but it seems it can't be found anywhere in my city (I called/emailed just about every possible place). Buying online is still a last resort but setting the paypal thing up takes ages and then waiting for the game to come in, it'll be around two months' wait altogether and even then, there's no guarantee that it won't be a terrible copy.

The saddest thing of all is that Timeless River is my favourite part of the game and now, unfortunately, beyond my reach.

Edit: Sorry for all the posts. When I tried to post everything as one response, it wouldn't go through.

ardyH

To put this thing to bed at last (thankfully) someone from these forums responded to my request and out of my luck and his kindness, I was able to get what I needed and finally further my progress in the game.

If nothing else, this proves that doing something like this is possible and while far from convenient, is always an option, should your disc fail at a certain point in the game. It also shows that a lot of us KH and KH2 fans have something of a problem with the no backwards compatibility and poor disc handling situation keeping us from enjoying the games we love. I realize there's a big thread here going already discussing the possibility of remastered KH1 and KH2, and only hope that someday this dream can come to life.

Finally, I'd like to thank each and every person who posted here or even just visited this thread and I would especially like to thank the person who took the time out of his day to do this for a stranger, for without him, I'd have to have managed without the awesome Ultima Weapon.

Last edited:

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I think someday you will be able to buy every single PSone and PS2 game on the PSN, and play older console games like that. But it kind of sucks having to pay for a game you already own...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back