• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

So...Who do you think we get to play as for the Tutorial?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Venx

The Roxas tutorial is great when you play it for the first time and meet the characters etc., but when you start playing it again, it's just annoying as hell.

Awards
I would like a tutorial more like KH1's tutorial, a decent length but not too long. I thought the KH2 tutorial was too long and the COM/BBS tutorials weren't long enough.

Scorpio

For the longest time I was anticipating the intro/tutorial to KHIII to be with Aqua traversing through the Darkness-ridden Castle of Dreams, but now 0.2 is happening, so I have no clue.

Reading into the main debate on this page, I'm personally on the fence with the two main contenders, to start with Kairi's training or as a flashback with Eraquis & Xehanort. For the former, it could introduce the stakes of this adventure in the perspective of a character that has virtually always been on the sidelines yet has always been a vital element, allowing us to see her point of view as she if finally brought onto the center stage, but the latter could also work for its significance to the larger story, taking these supporting characters who previously are viewed as elderly and wise, and humanizing them into the same wide-eyed youths as the actual protagonists.

why would people want a long tutorial? this is current gen, how hard would it be to play as xehanort, go over some combat and traversal basics for 10-20 minutes and jump into sora's story?

I heartily agree. Even disregarding all the HD re-releases Square has been providing, I doubt anyone would be getting into this series fresh this late in the game. I personally don't believe the way they handled the tutorial in KHII was inherently flawed, just hugely mishandled. If the story instead say, kept Roxas going for the extent of the game, the theming of the tutorial would have worked, highlighting the carefree last week of summer before receiving a call to adventure. However, as it turns out, Roxas vanishes right at the end of the tutorial, so all that time spent on his petty problems becomes totally irrelevant to the larger narrative.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
I heartily agree. Even disregarding all the HD re-releases Square has been providing, I doubt anyone would be getting into this series fresh this late in the game.
Heheh. You'd be surprised how long it can take some people to get into something. Or the points in which they decide to enter. Also gotta take into account that with a title as big of a deal as this, parents are gonna look at the game and think "oh hey, my kid might like that because Disney" and totally disregard any other element. Just from what I remember, that's how a lot of kids ended up with KHII all those years ago.

I personally don't believe the way they handled the tutorial in KHII was inherently flawed, just hugely mishandled. If the story instead say, kept Roxas going for the extent of the game, the theming of the tutorial would have worked, highlighting the carefree last week of summer before receiving a call to adventure. However, as it turns out, Roxas vanishes right at the end of the tutorial, so all that time spent on his petty problems becomes totally irrelevant to the larger narrative.

I think the main problem is that the tutorial tried to be like the one from KH1, but it lasted far too long, and like you said, ended up making all those little problems (well, except for that brutal last day) seem petty and pointless. Plus any part of it that ties into the larger narrative will only make sense with a mixture of hindsight and knowledge of the events of KH1 and CoM. KH1's was long, but not too long, and any narrative you got from the "outside world" wouldn't make a new player (or anyone for that matter...) go "wtf is going on, what are they even talking about, who the hell are these people, AAAAAAGH."

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
The issue with the Roxas tutorial was that I figure 60% of the people who first bought the game didn't know or care about Roxas at all. They just wanted to kick some ass with Sora but were force into a 5 hour tutorial of a character they just met while doing a lot of pointless BS stuff like the 7 wonders day (Though I did totally dig Roxas/Namine interactions and Roxas' dive to the heart). Even then if the tutorial story worked and people started to like Roxas, he disappears and doesn't show his face for 98% of the remaining game. So it really did feel like a waste of time other than I guess building up sympathy towards Roxas and to an extent Namine.

About Kairi being most likely.. I don't know. But best? Yes. For me, at least. I would just love to play as a PoH, GoL and Keybladewielder at the same time! (Which Kairi is)

Yea she's the safest choice by far. She's very recognizable in the series and familiarity is always nice unlike if we do a tutorial with Young Nort or something. Plus she has in story reason why she needs a tutorial which is something the writers love to do.

Kaijuguy19

Starting out with Kairi is the best choice. That way it'll give her more to do and players will learn along with her with the new moves.

appleboy82791

Awards
I'm going to go against the grain a bit here. I think we might play as Xion. This may be a stretch but it kinda makes sense. Think about it. We had Roxas in the beginning of KH2 because he was a part of Sora. We know that Xion is essentially the same. Her personality was formed out of Sora's memories of Kairi. And based on what we know from 3D, it would be hard to argue that she didn't form a heart of her own. She also appears in 3D as one of the many connections Sora has.

The obvious flaw most people would see in this theory is that Xion hasn't returned in the series yet. And we really don't know all that much about how she could return. I think it still works though because the tutorial would take place inside Sora's heart which is where we can expect Xion to be. Didn't she go back to be with Sora at the end of 358/2 Days?

In both KH1 and KH2 we had tutorials in Sora's heart. Wasn't that place with all the different platforms with Sora on them really just a dive into Sora's heart? (I can't remember what that place is called.) Roxas was there so why wouldn't Xion exist similarly? This idea fits nicely with the structure of KH1 and KH2. In KH1 we had Sora for the tutorial of course, in KH2 we had Roxas for the tutorial, wouldn't it only make sense for the next big installment in the KH series to have a form of Sora playable during the tutorial? It fits that criteria while giving it a new twist.

Of course I could be completely off base with this theory...

appleboy82791

Awards
Why is everyone jumping to the conclusion that we'll have Young Xehanort or Young Eraqus in the tutorial? Yes, we know that scene with them is in the beginning of the game but that doesn't mean they're playable. I think it's far more likely that the scene with Young Eraqus and Young Xehanort is a flashback scene of some kind. Didn't BBS have several flashback scenes in the beginning of the game? Am I missing some kind of hint that suggests that they are playable because I see no reason why they would be? Plus it's also kind of uncharacteristic of KH to do something like that.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I would like to start with Kairi, however because of 2.8 I feel like it could be Aqua or Mickey. Depending on where 2.8 ends, it could be either and just segue right into Mickey telling the story in the tower. Although, I'm trying to think of how the Xehanort/Eraqus scene can be linked to anything else. It makes me feel like maybe it could be a Xehanort flashback, so maybe we start with him?

Muke

whatever
Awards
I'm going to go against the grain a bit here. I think we might play as Xion.
yes

Why is everyone jumping to the conclusion that we'll have Young Xehanort or Young Eraqus in the tutorial? Yes, we know that scene with them is in the beginning of the game but that doesn't mean they're playable. I think it's far more likely that the scene with Young Eraqus and Young Xehanort is a flashback scene of some kind. Didn't BBS have several flashback scenes in the beginning of the game? Am I missing some kind of hint that suggests that they are playable because I see no reason why they would be? Plus it's also kind of uncharacteristic of KH to do something like that.
So what? The flashback plays at the beginning of KH III, so of course many people will want it as a tutorial or think it will be like that.
And do I need to remind you that we all are just speculating? Nobody said that definitely has to be that way.
None of the flashback's in BbS is playable, so no, you are not missing anything.

I would like to start with Kairi, however because of 2.8 I feel like it could be Aqua or Mickey. Depending on where 2.8 ends, it could be either and just segue right into Mickey telling the story in the tower. Although, I'm trying to think of how the Xehanort/Eraqus scene can be linked to anything else. It makes me feel like maybe it could be a Xehanort flashback, so maybe we start with him?

I don't really think we will play as Aqua, since she already will be playable in 0.2. Mickey, huh. Maybe.

appleboy82791

Awards
yes

So what? The flashback plays at the beginning of KH III, so of course many people will want it as a tutorial or think it will be like that.
And do I need to remind you that we all are just speculating? Nobody said that definitely has to be that way.
None of the flashback's in BbS is playable, so no, you are not missing anything.

I don't really think we will play as Aqua, since she already will be playable in 0.2. Mickey, huh. Maybe.

I know it's just speculation. I didn't mean for it to sound like I'm hating on the idea of Young Xehanort or Young Eraqus being playable in the tutorial. I'm just playing devil's advocate. If we all suggest theories without hearing arguements from both sides it wouldn't be a very good discussion would it?

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
I'm not so much jumping to conclusions as I am doing a little wishful thinking. I know it's far more likely that Trollanort and Kid Eraqus will be shown just in flashbacks, but it's fun to ponder the unlikely possibilities.

Tyso Heart

Awards
What if we get to play as both Kairi and Young Xehanort. I mean I know it sounds farfetchd but what if the beginning start off with player playing as Kairi to learn the new commands and magic system of KH3 and then a few cutscene later they start to talk about Xehanort. Players get to play as Young Xehanort after the chess game is over. So players will learn more about Young Xehanort and we the players could learn the battle mechanic of KH3

DoctahFaz

Awards
Similar to how you followed Roxas through the final six days before Sora woke up, I'd like to see a KH3 prologue where you either control a Young Xehanort or Eraqus in at least five or six points in time from when they met all the way to their adulthoods. Maybe even show how Xehanort earned that keyblade on the wall; I imagine it would involve him doing something terrible to their master and then manipulating Eraqus into believing that the events transpired much more differently than they really did.

edtheiii

I actually have a completely different reasoning for thinking that Eraqus/Xehanort will be playable. The fact that the they appear in the intro is definitely part of it, but I sort of feel like their choice of Drake Bell as Young Eraqus implies some increased time spent around that character. He's a pretty high profile guy (may be biased by opinion) to just have for a few flashbacks. Now, if you could play as Eraqus or Xehanort for the tutorial, the amount of time spent with Young Xehanort would be much greater and would validate the voice actor choice a little more. In a way, I think casting Drake mirrors the casting of Jesse McCartney as Roxas - who also got his own tutorial.

I'll ditto the others and say that in no way do I think that one of them will definitely be playable, or even more than 50%. Sora and possibly Kairi are also legitimate options for obvious reasons. Some insane offshoot like Xion or Lea isn't even impossible, depending on the direction of the story.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I'm on both sides. Give me Kairi, or Young 'Nort/Eraqus, it would be cool to play as any of 'em.

• Kairi because, like another member said, we can appreciate her perspective of being a character from the sidelines, turned into one that'll directly witness the flow of the story's conclusion.

• Xehanort because it's always cool to play as the villain (and we can appreciate the "degeneration" of his character, so to speak).

• Eraqus because it would be fun to explore more of his character.

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com
At this point, Young Xehanort and Kairi are kind of tied for me. If I'm being honest, I think it would be better, story-wise, for it to be Xehanort in this last game with him. And I do think it might suddenly make you care about him, understand him more, and be really impacted by his end, and all.

And these games do love dealing with Sora and Xehanort's similarities and differences, so there you go:D

But at the same time... I need it to be Kairi. If we don't get to play her in the tutorial of III, I don't think we'll get to play her in this saga at all, and that would just piss me off. Mainly because we have gotten to play Every. Single. Main. Character. Thus. Far. (And I know that some of you are about to argue this, but: Days multi-player mode; and at least if we didn't play a central character in a main campaign for them, at least they were integral to certain parts of the story... unlike Kairi.)

So, naturally, I think we should now get to play the only main person (aside from Nami, who's not at all a fighter) we haven't gotten a chance to yet, instead of shafting her again, by being like, "Suddenly we're going to let you guys play as a villain, for the first time ever. Yay! Screw you, Kairi."

I guess... I just I'm saying for me, personally, I'm going to be looking at the start of KHIII to see hints as to how they might handle Kairi in the rest of the game, and if they treat her bad at the beginning again, I think there's more of a chance that she'll only be treated as an object once more, which would be unfortunate.

Also, I don't know if Disney would want players to have the chance to play a villain such as Xehanort. I feel like if moms of younger players found out about it, they might even complain.

And another thing... is that I feel like KHIII is going to try catering to the casuals, for whatever reason. None of the casuals know who Young Master Xehanort is (heck; I even know some diehard KH fans who haven't played DDD yet), but they do know and have spent time with Kairi. Also, apparently most casual fans actually like Kairi a lot, so...

But this is just my whole take on it. To simplify... I'd really be okay with either. Story-wise, I'd actually prefer YMX. But the feminist within me wants it to be Kairi, and for the KH girls in general to get more respect; because if Kairi isn't the tutorial character I'm kind of worried for her again, guys:/

Oh, and I really like the Xion idea, too! I'd be A-Okay with that as well=)

MrFranklin95

Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
I think it's a lot more interesting if we went the Young Xehanort route. It's more possibility of getting more into Xehanort's character and how and why he really developed his ambitions and just didn't care about anything else but that. Like, I know this isn't the best written series but you don't just up and decide "I'm going to find the heart of the whole universe and recreated in my image because balance and science, bitch". Even in Birth by Sleep, I felt there is a lot more to it then just that. And I honestly think it's what gonna be one of the main things in Kingdom Hearts 3 that's focused on. We'll go deeper into Eraqus and Xehanort's relationship, meet their master and learn more about him and get a sense of how the world was like at that time.

It's a lot more interesting then watching Kairi train.

The King of sad

Awards
Most likely: none

I don't know why people want a tutorial character. Roxas was only a tutorial character because KH2 was extremely different from KH1 in terms of gameplay and for story reasons.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Most likely: none

I don't know why people want a tutorial character. Roxas was only a tutorial character because KH2 was extremely different from KH1 in terms of gameplay and for story reasons.
I wouldn't say that the gameplay was THAT different, not enough to be a major factor in changing up the playable character. And if Roxas was playable for story reasons, why wouldn't the same happen for just about anyone else? "Story reasons" could justify any playable character.

Also, I don't know if Disney would want players to have the chance to play a villain such as Xehanort. I feel like if moms of younger players found out about it, they might even complain.
Ehh. They don't seem to have a problem with playable villains in Disney Infinity.

Besides, if Riku, KH1's resident jackass who allied himself with the villains, kidnapped several characters, and tried to flat-out murder his best friend even before he got possessed by a crazy darkness demon, was able to become a playable character without anyone freaking out, I don't see why Xehanort couldn't have a chance. Besides, if we were playing as Trollanort, it would be at a point in time before he commits any of those numerous atrocities (DDD notwithstanding).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back