• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Riku's Way to Dawn Question?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

UxSx

Exactly how did he obtain Way to Dawn did Soul Eater transform into it if so when? Also how can he obtain another keyblade? I'm guessing its because his original one chose Sora over him and became Sora original keyblade but Riku and still still able to be chosen by another.

Gram

Banned
Awards
As far as we know the way to dawn just...appeared to Riku so we dont know how really. The masters perform rites to pass the keyblade along but it's the keyblade that chooses of their worthy in the end and even though sora took his original, he was still on the keyblades radar so to speak thanks to terra, so I just figured the keyblade deemed him fit to wield one again.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
Probably it happened somewhere along the course of Days. Just like Gram said, it's possible that the Keyblade sort of "reconsidered its decision" after Riku transformed from his dickish former persona into the redemption-seeking self.

We don't know if the Soul Eater truly transformed into Way to the Dawn, but in my opinion, it was the Keyblade that used the Soul Eater as the basis of its appearance. When Riku found out his newfound ability, he forwent the Soul Eater in favour of Way to the Dawn.

Gram

Banned
Awards
^ It happened between mulan and TWTNW if I remember right from nomura commenting on kh2. He wouldn't have used Oblivion in days if he had his own keyblade.

Agreed on the appearance since we seen him summon the soul eater in DDD. The way to dawn most likely just used it as a basis of design.

Relix

A traveler
Awards
I'm pretty sure that Soul Eater didn't transform into Way to Dawn (though I remember Riku referred to his keyblade as Soul Eater in TWTNW in KH2 but that could have just been a translation error or something). The time-frame like Gram said is after Mulan's world but before TWTNW (I'm not sure if Nomura confirms this but I'm taking Gram's word for it. If not, however, that could mean Riku could have obtained it prior to Mulan's world but was just wielding Soul Eater similar to how he did in DDD for that one cutscene).

But I think we are all agreed that despite Riku losing his original keyblade to Sora, he was and forever will be a candidate for one so he is bound to get one regardless of how many are stolen from him. Think of it as...a license to wield. In order to get said license, you need the rite performed on you (of course Sora being the exception). Even though Sora took away his keyblade, Riku still had a keyblade "license" so he would get one that chose him again eventually.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
The funny issue with Sora is that his heart doesn't even need a "license" so to speak as it may be already "overqualified" in the eyes of the Keyblades themselves.
Think about it, his heart saved the heart of a licensed Keyblade Wielder when it was just mere minutes old (prologue of BBS), and also not on request by said heart but by his own initiative. That's a pretty hardcore "qualification" in itself and the Keyblades were probably be "You see that new guy in town universe there? Saved someone just minutes after coming into existence, he certainly will wield one of us later on."

In Sora's case, the Keyblades didn't need an already qualified wielder to point out a potential wielding candidate to them, Sora's very first actions already got him attention.

JustSnilloc

Exactly how did he obtain Way to Dawn did Soul Eater transform into it if so when? Also how can he obtain another keyblade? I'm guessing its because his original one chose Sora over him and became Sora original keyblade but Riku and still still able to be chosen by another.

Since everyone else already covered the other questions, I'll tackle this one. See Keyblades are these mysterious and complicated tools and weapons used by those with worthy hearts. An essential part of the keyblade is the keychain. Keychains are metaphysical objects that transform the appearance of the keyblade. Often, it's only objects that hold a powerful significance and have important memories associated with them that become keychains. We've seen this happen with keyblades in the past...

Oathkeeper - Kairi's good luck charm
Oblvion - Sora's crown (made black)
Two Become One - Roxas's pendant (I think that's what it's called)
Brightcrest - Aqua's wayfinder
Lea's Keyblade - His chakrams

With Riku, the Soul Eater is the item that contributes to the creation of the keyblade. I don't believe the Soul Eater transformed into the keyblade, rather the keyblade took the form of the soul eater.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
There's definitely a interview out there somewhere that says the soul eater became the way to the dawn, and I think one that said Maleficent gave him the soul eater in the first place.

I'm almost positive it's out there, I'll do some digging.

EDIT:
My memory seldom lets me down. Neither does the Ultimania.
---We found out that Riku's Keyblade's name is "Way to the Dawn" when examining his item slots after he joined your party. Is that Keyblade a transfigured version of Soul Eater?
Nomura: I designed it with that image. Since Riku has always been using Soul Eater, he still calls it that even after it changed form. Keyblades aren't something that you can obtain suddenly out of nowhere so in Riku's case, his Soul Eater was used as an intermediary for that Keyblade.

---If we directly translate "Way to the Dawn", "dawn" means "in-between night and daytime", so does that mean that Keyblade is from the In-between World? In other words, this means the Keyblades that Sora, King Mickey and Riku wield represent the Worlds of Light, Dark and In-between?
Nomura: Well, if I have to say where they belong, it's just as you said. But the name of "Way to Dawn" doesn't have to mean that. This name came from the scene at the end of Riku's story in KH:COM that suggested which path he would walk on, where he said "The road to dawn."

I'm still poking around for the Maleficent thing, it may not exist.

Last edited:

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
There's definitely a interview out there somewhere that says the soul eater became the way to the dawn, and I think one that said Maleficent gave him the soul eater in the first place.

I'm almost positive it's out there, I'll do some digging.

EDIT:
My memory seldom lets me down. Neither does the Ultimania.

I'm still poking around for the Maleficent thing, it may not exist.

IIrc the Maleficent thing came from the novels rather than an interview.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
What Maleficent thing? Her giving Riku Soul Eater?

Yes. If memory serves me right, there isn't any indication whatsoever in the games as to where or when Riku obtained his Soul Eater.

There's one thing that we know, though, and it's that Riku had already wielded it by the time SDG "arrived" at Monstro. Does the scene in which Maleficent gave Riku power over darkness (where he said "Soon, Kairi, soon") happen before or after this point?

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
i just assumed that riku created the soul eater by using his darkness to materialize a weapon

This might also be possible, just like how his dark suit seemed to appear right out of the blue.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
I may be remembering from the novels. Can't forget that by this point, though, Riku had met Xehanort's Heartless even if he hadn't been outright possessed by him. Coded shows that it happened before Riku left the islands.

Gram

Banned
Awards
Since everyone else already covered the other questions, I'll tackle this one. See Keyblades are these mysterious and complicated tools and weapons used by those with worthy hearts. An essential part of the keyblade is the keychain. Keychains are metaphysical objects that transform the appearance of the keyblade. Often, it's only objects that hold a powerful significance and have important memories associated with them that become keychains. We've seen this happen with keyblades in the past...

Actually keychains have never been touched upon by either nomura or in-game so we dont know if they hold any real importance or function solely as game mechanic at the moment.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
Actually keychains have never been touched upon by either nomura or in-game so we dont know if they hold any real importance or function solely as game mechanic at the moment.

While digging around the game, I found something interesting: the keychain of the Keyblade did indeed get a mention. It's in the Keyblade's entry in the glossary in DDD.

Glossary said:
A key-shaped weapon forged by man during the age of fairy tales. Any other origins have yet to be revealed.

All Keyblades have one of three natures: light, darkness, or heart. The last two are exceptional; most documented Keyblades, including Sora's and Riku's, are Keyblades of light.

The heart must be proven before a Keyblade will appear in its master's hand. No lock can withstand a Keyblade, nor can any non-agent of light.

Special keychains allow the Keyblade's appearance and performance to be altered.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
While digging around the game, I found something interesting: the keychain of the Keyblade did indeed get a mention. It's in the Keyblade's entry in the glossary in DDD.

I mean, they've said that since the first game but it's nice to know that it's canon outside of the gameplay mechanics.

Gram

Banned
Awards

Woot actually glad that was brought up. The keychains have been a what if forever lol.

Though that still dont clarify how their formed or whatnot. =[

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
Woot actually glad that was brought up. The keychains have been a what if forever lol.

Though that still dont clarify how their formed or whatnot. =[

Hmm, quite possibly just about everyday objects that holds a special enough sentimental value could be used as a keychain. You know, just like how Kairi's charm allows the KK to transform into Oathkeeper?

I can say this with more confidence now that keychain-induced Keyblade transformation is canonical.

Gram

Banned
Awards
Hmm, quite possibly just about everyday objects that holds a special enough sentimental value could be used as a keychain. You know, just like how Kairi's charm allows the KK to transform into Oathkeeper?

I can say this with more confidence now that keychain-induced Keyblade transformation is canonical.

That's the thing though roxas was using Oathkeeper while Sora still had the lucky charm and if you have oathkeeper equipped in scenes the charm still appears.

Perhaps their formed from such objects rather than being the actual objects? Or more simple, the oathkeeper is just an exception somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back