• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Wait...why DID Roxas give Riku the Keyblade?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Samhain

Bronze Member
O_O

Is Roxas an idiot?
Why did he give Riku the Oblivion keyblade? he tossed it to him on the last battle. Why? Is Roxas a retard? he didnt even know Riku and the first thing on my mind if im Roxas seeing some guy wearing an organization coat who doesnt even belong in the organization is "I'm gonna kill this guy"

did Roxas want a challenge? some ppl say Xion made Roxas throw the keyblade to Riku which doesnt make any sense because Xion can't control Roxas in anyway. If she can she would have made Roxas not go after Kingdom Hearts and stop him from doing that so toss that idea out the window. Did Roxas just want to get pwned?

State

Awards
Is Roxas an idiot?
Note: He's Sora's Nobody (albeit Roxas being more serious and straightforward).

Why did he give Riku the Oblivion keyblade?
To make it a fair fight? He managed to get Riku defenseless. It'd be overkill to hit him with two weapons (and two powerful keyblades at that).

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
This is the explanation given to us from the Days Ultimania.

-- When Roxas tries to do what Xion has asked of him, Riku hears Xion’s voice asking him to stop Roxas. Why?

Nomura: First he have to look at things in order. First, the reason why Roxas throws a keyblade to Riku, and we then see a vision of Xion, is that there is a small remaining part of Xion in Roxas that wants to stop him, and makes him take those actions. The name of the keyblade that is given to Riku suggests that it has something to do with Xion (Oblivion's Japanese name is "Passing Memories"). Xion wants Roxas to set Kingdom Hearts free, but doesn’t want him to face Xemnas right now. She sees that he would most likely lose. So she begs Riku to stop him.

Awards

Which is, of course, a load of shit. I mean, I accept it as canon, but that doesn't change the fact that Nomura pulled it out of his ass.

Back when KH2 was out, it was implied that Roxas had met and fought Riku sometime before that (based on Riku's dialogue after beating Saix). And Nomura's original statement also implied that Riku had "summoned" Roxas there- in other words, the two were meeting. Roxas wanted to know who and where this "Sora" was ("Where's Sora?"). And Riku likely suggested to Roxas that he knew the answer (however, Riku also knew Roxas was too dangerous to take in consciously, considering he would not agree to becoming a part of Sora again). So the whole thing was a trap set by Riku, to lure Roxas out of the Organization.

In that context, there's a pretty simple explanation. Roxas thought Riku could at least be trusted enough to help him get rid of the neoshadows, so he gave Riku one of his keyblades.

Of course, after Days came out, the implication changed. Xion somehow made Roxas subconsciously pass it to Riku in order for Riku to stop him. Which is hilarious, considering that it was never even remotely implied (seriously, could anyone watching that scene infer such an idea without being told so in the Days Ultimania?).

They had to change it because Roxas never got to meet Riku before then as had been originally suggested, and he could not "summon" Roxas there. The context for that scene completely changed, which makes it obvious that they never really thought Days through and probably even forgot the original reason behind that scene.

It's a dumb explanation, I agree, but oh well.

*TwilightNight*

Bronze Member
Awards
Which is, of course, a load of shit.

Still befuddles me today.

I mean, I accept it as canon, but that doesn't change the fact that Nomura pulled it out of his ass.
Unless Days completely disappears and is forgotten, or taken away from the universe timeline, there's not much choice but to accept it as canon. That's what it is, right?

In that context, there's a pretty simple explanation. Roxas thought Riku could at least be trusted enough to help him get rid of the neoshadows, so he gave Riku one of his keyblades.

Of course, after Days came out, the implication changed. Xion somehow made Roxas subconsciously pass it to Riku in order for Riku to stop him. Which is hilarious, considering that it was never even remotely implied (seriously, could anyone watching that scene infer such an idea without being told so in the Days Ultimania?).
What makes it ridiculous are the points leading up to that scene. Apparently, Xion says to halt Xemnas' plans, conveniently forgetting to tell Roxas to return to Sora first. She had a lot to voice out before she was finally gone, except that one little thing that can be remedied in three words; "return...to...Sora". So we get him on some path of revenge (Roxas takes the words as "kill Xemnas" automatically...we'll go with it for now), Riku already waiting and present. I suppose he was there to have some chit-chat with Roxas, sit on a roof, bond together, and just have a good, fun, night, because he needed to be told by Xion - through a Keyblade (cause the kanji spells out "memory" or something, and it makes this kind of connection possible) - and into his mind - that he had to stop Roxas. Not only taking back its last wish as it wasn't working out the way she never spoke about, but also making the whole thing repetitive in a bad way.

So, you mean to tell me, Riku had no idea what he was doing at TWTNW. He was simply standing there, not planning to stop Roxas at all. Diz just randomly popped out at the end, having finished his data Twilight Town, not looking at all surprised that the blond kid was knocked out. It appears that this had been the idea that they plotted...but, now it doesn't make sense, because Riku wasn't going to do it unless Xion asked him to and acted like he wouldn't have thought of that.

And, isn't Xion part of Roxas? If she could talk to Riku, and take over Roxas' reflexes, she couldn't just stop him herself?

The story thickens! :D

Oh yeah, even better - some people don't find that weird at all, lol.

The context for that scene completely changed, which makes it obvious that they never really thought Days through and probably even forgot the original reason behind that scene.
I honestly think it was primarily done to make Xion appear a "needed" or "important" character. If they didn't, there would be no reason in creating it (despite that it's the truth of the matter - there was no reason to make a 14th member...or half 14th member, cause you know, it didn't get a chair yet got everything else). The whole game suffered because of that forced delusion of necessity., making its excuses mind boggling and faulty/flawed. It was exaggerated to such an extent that Xion became the main character and Roxas...man, wtf did Roxas do other than be a fanboy?

blueheart

Bronze Member
I always thought it was obvious that Roxas threw the keyblade at him because it was his Strike Raid attack. Riku knew of that attack from fighting Sora, so he managed to catch it instead of letting it hit him.

For some reason, I'm the only person who thought of this, because everyone else was asking why he did that. Nomura then came up with some bullshitty, unneeded excuse, which I don't buy.

Silverslide

need some more candy cane
The canon explanation is so improvised. Pretty sure xion wasnt even in concepcion by the time kh1 ended. It was probably just cinematics before Nomura 'explained' it. I wish he would just leave stuff alone when it comes to things that dont matter.

luna1017

Trying to reach the Second Star to the Right.
I always thought it was obvious that Roxas threw the keyblade at him because it was his Strike Raid attack. Riku knew of that attack from fighting Sora, so he managed to catch it instead of letting it hit him.

For some reason, I'm the only person who thought of this, because everyone else was asking why he did that. Nomura then came up with some bullshitty, unneeded excuse, which I don't buy.
This. Especially the Strike Raid part. It makes more sense than "ooh! An enemy! I'll throw my keyblade at him!"

I asked myself the same thing once. Now that I think about it, it really does make Roxas seem like a horrible strategy planner.

KeyofEvil'sBane

Space Duck
Termina, wondering why everyone looks familiiar
After Days, I always thought that, since Xion was apart of Roxas, and Xion had trusted this stranger, Roxas felt he could trust him to help fight the Neoshadows (even though he didn't really need it)
What I never understood is why they just ran away. Come on Nomura!! Heartless don't just run away, especially in a world so close to the darkness

Neko

Keep Holding On
Awards
I always thought it was just because Roxas needed some help beating the heartless and knew Riku needed help beating them too. That or Roxas trusted Riku to help him because he felt some connection to him.

Zul

Awards
Oh yeah, even better - some people don't find that weird at all, lol.
Hard to find that as a viable option considering the contradiction you explained is somewhat close to the level of a plot hole.

Last edited:

Memory Master

Gold Member
Awards

That explains it.

Before this explanation most people assumed it was because Roxas wanted Riku to help him defeat the mass group of heartless. So he let Riku borrow the keyblade to help him out with the heartless, then they turned on each other.

But the Days explanation makes sense too.

Nutari

The Scotsman
Awards
No, it makes less sense.

If she could control Roxas's actions, then why not just make him stop fighting?

Exactly. And that is why I disregard that part of Days. It was fun to play as the Organization members. Otherwise I could care less about it.

*TwilightNight*

Bronze Member
Awards
Because even a retcon master like Nomura cant retcon and get rid of a fight that has been confirmed not only since 2002, but has been confirmed by both numbered games (secret ending of KH1, flashback in KH2)

Then it should have simply been left alone. It seems the staff didn't understand that shit and the whole game came off contrived.

But alas, we're suppose to believe she's important, so they had to force that in somewhere to make her the reason behind everything, apparently, though each one of them had original, simple explanations.

digimikej

Awards
as i posted in the other thread similar to this, roas did meet riku one time before. the retkon is their preious fight is when riku does nothing but blok. (sorry bout the horrid typing, part of my keyboard is broken,)

Keystaff Master

I was always very much under the assumption that Roxas was attempting to attack Riku with Oblivion via Strike Raid and Riku intercepted it and used it to his own advantage. I don't imagine Roxas new Riku had the ability to wield a Keyblade, so he wouldn't have expected Riku to hijack one of his own. As Riku passes him during his free-fall I always got the feeling that he watched him go by in disbelief that Riku had taken one of his Keyblades.

Honestly, as simplistic as this is it makes a lot more sense than Nomura's explanation because that guy just loves making things unnecessarily complex. This is what I've gone by for years now, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back