• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Rep system adjustments

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

What should be done with the rep system?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatorade

Naturally, we called it Gatorade
I think it should just be Premiums + that have the ability to rep. The other people are the majority of the people who are abusing it anyway.

Thor.

Do Our Best
Awards
Well spam is easier to fix than rep points but yeah that was the main reason I said it would be less likely to succeed. Of course the Banning except for the yearly thing would be really extreme.

Also the premiums seem to be a large part of the problem really, when you reach premium you've been around long enough to start caring what others think of you. Which is where the real problem lies. People wanting to seem accepted and "cool."

Gatorade

Also the premiums seem to be a large part of the problem really, when you reach premium you've been around long enough to start caring what others think of you. Which is where the real problem lies. People wanting to seem accepted and "cool."
Really? I guess I was just speaking for myself then, sorry.

Pelafina

lately, lovely
Awards
Also the premiums seem to be a large part of the problem really, when you reach premium you've been around for around a month. Which is where the real problem lies. People wanting to seem accepted and "cool."

I fixed your post for you.

It's true enough either way though, people are disillusioned into thinking that post count and rep are important, which leads to shitty posts. I'm reasonably confident that these measures won't really stop the problem, but every bit helps some.

Thor.

Do Our Best
Awards
I suppose it's really just what Silh and the others think is best.

Well, it's what the site as a whole think is best.

Really? I guess I was just speaking for myself then, sorry.

You don't have to agree with me just because I'm premium. Hell, I've been around here for enough years that I stopped expecting respect of any kind.

Faye said:
I fixed your post for you.

The point is that if you stuck around for a thousand posts that's when you start trying to be popular. Or worse campaigning for mod.

Gatorade

Well, it's what the site as a whole think is best.

You don't have to agree with me just because I'm premium. Hell, I've been around here for enough years that I stopped expecting respect of any kind.
Well it's just that you've been around a lot longer then me and probably know more about the types of members on here. I personally don't care what people think about me, but I don't act like a douche or anything.

I know this is completely off-topic but since a lot of mods are reading, can someone deal with kasamake? He's driving me insane. If you read his posts and his threads, you'll know why.

Thor.

Do Our Best
Awards
I don't see how being Premium and wanting to be cool correllate. The amount that I post has nothing to do with whether I want people to know me or not, no matter that I haven't been here for very long. It just means that I like to talk.

Whether or not what you're saying is true what I said holds for the majority of premiums. Not the saints among men such as yourself.

Pelafina

lately, lovely
Awards
I don't see how being Premium and wanting to be cool correllate. The amount that I post has nothing to do with whether I want people to know me or not, no matter that I haven't been here for very long. It just means that I like to talk.

You, maybe not. But you can't look at everyone else and say the same, because it definitely happens. People associate a high post count and more rep with more respect and influence, which is horribly off the mark.

Thor.

Do Our Best
Awards
Honestly it's often based further on your ability to make fun of people who associate a high post count and more rep with more respect and influence.

Thor.

Do Our Best
Awards
Well, no, I can't say that everyone is cut from the same cloth as me, but isn't the point of getting that many posts is that by the time you get that many, you're actually more mature for having done so? Or maybe I'm just too optimistic.

It takes most newbs like two months. Not a lot of time to mature really.

Pelafina

lately, lovely
Awards
Well, no, I can't say that everyone is cut from the same cloth as me, but isn't the point of getting that many posts is that by the time you get that many, you're actually more mature for having done so? Or maybe I'm just too optimistic.

You're being far too optimistic, actually. If you look at the majority of posts anywhere on this site, with few exceptions they're short, badly-worded, and generally contribute nothing. 1,000 quality posts may be an achievement (though it's really just a number), but you're much more likely to see people with the more useless posts trying desperately to raise their count, and once they achieve the amazing title of premium, they have some sense of superiority to most everyone else. Once again though, this is not all-inclusive, just the majority of users.

Pelafina

lately, lovely
Awards
I figured as much. But, we can't do anything about post counts, short of purging them, too. And that's even more drastic than rep purging. Though, if they're supposed to go hand-in-hand...

That would be over-drastic, but we can change the rep system so that users aren't rewarded with rep points for post count, which would ease the problem a bit.

Gatorade

Maybe Silh can just bump up the number of posts needed to become Premium/Platinum. Although that may increase the spamming too...

Mastermind

Remember Me
Awards
That would be over-drastic, but we can change the rep system so that users aren't rewarded with rep points for post count, which would ease the problem a bit.

I agree with this notion. If we can't get this rep stuff permanently disabled, then the least we could do is make it harder to get. Take off the 1,000 post reward!

Sacred X

Freshmeat
Personally it's rare for me to be influenced by a person's post count in such ways, but I have to admit it's very common to see morons at least a few times a day.

However, someone earlier suggested removing the rep people get for every 1,000 posts they've made? Personally, I disagree. It's pretty much going against what rep really is. If a member has made 1,000 posts and they're not banned nor have been warned, they've pretty much deserved it. Sure some deserve it more than others, but throwing in quality of the posts is up to the members, so the member who made the better posts is more likely to recieve rep from his or her peers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back