• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Let Your Voice Be Heard for KINGDOM HEARTS Novels!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

Yen Press' KINGDOM HEARTS FINAL MIX manga was released on May 28th, and it's certainly no surprise to learn that shops and sites from all over are selling out like mad. It's been a long 5 years since a localized volume of the series has been released, and since then the community has been clamoring loudly for a continuation. Yen Press stepped forward to take up the mantle after Tokyopop, and their first release did not disappoint in any way with their flawless translations and high quality artwork. It's hard to put the books down after being exposed to them.

And yet, we desire more. If the manga is this good, can you imagine how the novels would be? The KINGDOM HEARTS novels, written by Tomoco Kanemaki (scenario writer of KINGDOM HEARTS 358/2 Days) expand the series much more with fleshed out characters and new events, offering up unique backstories and experiences. Translators such as the lovely goldpanner have been working hard with every new release, and so it was inevitable that our desire to read each volume grew. 

Could it be possible for Yen Press to adopt the KH novel license as well? Perhaps! They seem to be very open to the idea and would love to hear your feedback. Let them know what you think about their new manga release and if you'd be interested in the novels!

[Yen Press Facebook] [Yen Press Twitter]

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
The novels make me cry because first Tokyopop said they were going to do them, then Disney Press had taken them up then they just quietly died before they even got started. :c

I'd love if Yen Press could translate them ;A; I have their Spice & Wolf novels and I love their translation work a lot. I had planned on getting the Haruhi Suzumiya novels as well but I have a huge backlog of novels so they have to wait. I'd buy the Kingdom Hearts ones instantly, though.

;A; I would genuinely cry if I could read the BBS novels. And KH3D. And Days...and the side-story novels ;A;

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I remember reading a few of their novels in high school. I think we had a few of them in the library in college too ;A;

I'd get the KH novels in a heartbeat! The quality of their product is so incredible and just thinking of it fills me with joy.

Last edited:

destiny seeker

Seeker of the Future
Awards
I'd get the KH novels in a heartbeat! The quality of their product is just so incredible and just thinking of it fills me with joy.

Agree. I would do anything to have those novels. They really do provide so much insight to things that are not in the games.

Zephyr

Memory of Melodies
Staff member
Awards
Please localize the novels Yen Press. ;A; Especially seeing how they did the bindcover for KHFM, no doubt it'll be beautiful for the novels.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Are the novels canon? or are the novels their own thing

Most prefer to think of them as secondary canon. The information they present that doesn't contradict the game is canon, if that makes sense? They've got a lot of great stuff. If you're interested in checking out some translations to get an idea, I highly recommend visiting goldpanner's blog linked in the OP.

Last edited:

Alpha Sonix

I'm all for it if it helps to get the novels out in Europe. I already have the manga volumes for KH1 but I never got around to getting COM and KH2. Will need to show my support as much as possible.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
I already tweeted them but I'll be doing so again when I get my copies! It's great that they seem open to doing so, providing the manga's continue to sell and the fan interest is high.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Are the novels canon? or are the novels their own thing

It's second tier canon to the games and interviews...some people used to split it off as third tier but the interviews have become something like required reading for the series now so they get a little bump up to second.

Anything revealed in them that isn't contradicted by the games is canon. It was in the novels that it was confirmed that when you kill the Heartless and Nobody, the Somebody will return. It was also the first place it was hinted that Axel had come back to life/became a Somebody again after his demise in KH2.

They gave a backstory to Vanitas, and some try to write it off as a Kanemaki's way of giving sympathy to him but it adds a lot of depth to Vanitas that was missing in the games. Also weird, fun fact: people that lean towards the light love sweets, when people who lean closer to the darkness prefer something more bitter or less sugary.

It also gives some great insight into Sora's mind during the game's events. He's very insightful at times, sometimes the things that sounded like Sora was being obtuse really weren't at all, so it is nice to see what makes him tick.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
It's second tier canon to the games and interviews...some people used to split it off as third tier but the interviews have become something like required reading for the series now so they get a little bump up to second.

Anything revealed in them that isn't contradicted by the games is canon. It was in the novels that it was confirmed that when you kill the Heartless and Nobody, the Somebody will return. It was also the first place it was hinted that Axel had come back to life/became a Somebody again after his demise in KH2.

They gave a backstory to Vanitas, and some try to write it off as a Kanemaki's way of giving sympathy to him but it adds a lot of depth to Vanitas that was missing in the games. Also weird, fun fact: people that lean towards the light love sweets, when people who lean closer to the darkness prefer something more bitter or less sugary.

It also gives some great insight into Sora's mind during the game's events. He's very insightful at times, sometimes the things that sounded like Sora was being obtuse really weren't at all, so it is nice to see what makes him tick.

wow, when you put it that way, i really want to check these novels out :)

Kenzichi

I've already tweeted them, but it won't hurt to do it again!
I haven't picked up the volumes yet. I was hoping to find them at B&N, but they didn't have them! Sold out I imagine since it was passed the release date. If I don't find them again on Tuesday I'm ordering them online. I try to avoid this because there is just something about buying the books in person at the store don't you think? I was surprised though. Not even the first volume of Sailor Moon was sold out. I managed to get my copy in stores. Of course I'll never underestimate KH fans :D

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

Strawberries, nuts, and a whole lot of pain ;A;

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
there is just something about buying the books in person at the store don't you think?

Of definitely! I love going to the bookstore and just being around them all, able to browse and pick what I want xD

wow, when you put it that way, i really want to check these novels out :)

You should check out goldpanner's translations of the bits she's done. They are pretty entertaining. We have a thread you can discuss them in as well!

I'm all for it if it helps to get the novels out in Europe. I already have the manga volumes for KH1 but I never got around to getting COM and KH2. Will need to show my support as much as possible.

Did your manga have the two bonus chapters?

Strawberries, nuts, and a whole lot of pain ;A;

;A; Aqua is such a girl for baking, Ven ;A;

Heartkeeper

Awards
It will be awesome if they release the novels but I have the feeling that this kind of novels don't havemuch potential in the west, no matter if it's KH or not.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
It will be awesome if they release the novels but I have the feeling that this kind of novels don't havemuch potential in the west, no matter if it's KH or not.

Well the same could be said to any Japanese novel that has been translated by companies like Yen Press, Digital Manga Publishing, or Viz Media but they publish them and people buy them. The market is determined by the interest and the success comes from the marketing and fandom's interest.

Kingdom Hearts has a sizable fandom, the novels have never been released, and the fandom that cares will pick them up if they were aware of them.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
I think the novels are actually great opportunities for fans who haven't been able to play all of the games. These novels would be accessible to everyone and they would help to fill in the blanks. As well as being wonderful additions to the collections of fans who like the expanded KH "universe". :3

Zephyr

Memory of Melodies
Staff member
Awards
Aside from the written content, the novels do have some pretty drawings throughout the pages and I'm looking forward to those too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back