• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Why is Kingdom Hearts so Confusing

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
When did it ever confirm that Yen Sid was a brother pupil to Xehanort and Eraqus? I don't recall reading any sources that explicitly site that Yen Sid trained alongside those two.

Sigh. Did I miss something from an interview again or what?

It wasn't confirmed. The only thing that IS confirmed is that Yen Sid is old friends with Eraqus and Xehanort and walked "the road of Keyblade Master" with them for a while.

As far as I can recall, Yen Sid's relationship with Eraqus and Xehanort was never even officially addressed in an interview.
All information we get on that one is from the game BBS itself from statements made by Eraqus and Yen Sid himself:

Eraqus said:
That was my dear old friend Yen Sid. As you know, he is Master no more... but he still keeps a close eye on the tides of light and darkness.

Yen Sid said:
I had hoped, Xehanort, your heart would no longer lead you astray.

Yen Sid said:
There was a time when I walked the path of the Keyblade Master alongside Eraqus and Xehanort. But the three of us have gone our separate ways.

It may be the last sentence in the second Yen Sid-quote (which you get as a text bubble when you talk with him as Terra) which leads some people to the interpretation that they once formed a trio.

This is my bad for derailing the topic, but it was never confirmed it was just a debated point. I always assumed they weren't, and this doesn't really prove anything

Indeed, the question still cannot be answered for good as "old friends" can also include some joint training, even if Yen Sid, Eraqus and Xehanort did not have the same Master.

This issue manifested itself in an interesting way when 2.8 was announced. I got the feeling on some of the comments that they thought that once again Nomura decided to push the release of KHIII with a spin-off. But if you have been following the series closely, you realize that actually 2.8 is a missing piece of the story, that a part of the fandom has been wanting to see for a very long time. The missing part was also considered to be told in III, but now they have a chance to tell that story, and the rest of it in III.

About the Yen Sid topic, in the beginning Eraqus mentions him as an old friend. Also if my memory is not playing tricks on me, I remember that if you talk to Yen Sid in BBS, there is text bubble where he says something about walking the same road as Eraqus and Xehanort, but I am not sure if that confirms them being trained together or anything.

Those who derail 2.8 as a spin-off are most often those who derail any title/entry not having a clear roman numeral as an "unneeded" spin-off and are also seldom worth to waste any time on as you won't be able to sway their preconceived notions.
Those who are truly following the whole series, even if they simply did not have the finanical means to participate in the whole console-spread mess, know what exactly 2.8 is for.
Just like the 1.5 and 2.5 Remaster, this third remaster is the last module to finish the preparation for KH III and unlike the first two Remasters, it also contains entirely new material which even the closely following parts of the fandom do not know.

Yes, I posted those quotes from BBS up above. Even with the character diagram from the Memorial Ultimania though it does not clear up anything for good.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
Those who derail 2.8 as a spin-off are most often those who derail any title/entry not having a clear roman numeral as an "unneeded" spin-off and are also seldom worth to waste any time on as you won't be able to sway their preconceived notions.
Those who are truly following the whole series, even if they simply did not have the finanical means to participate in the whole console-spread mess, know what exactly 2.8 is for.
Just like the 1.5 and 2.5 Remaster, this third remaster is the last module to finish the preparation for KH III and unlike the first two Remasters, it also contains entirely new material which even the closely following parts of the fandom do not know.

It`s always about the magical number III isn`t it? :D

Whoa, I always forget that you started the series with Re:Coded BlackOspery. Like you describe, that must have been an rather interesting starting point. I can understand Days being an starting point since it was partly crafted so that new comers could join the series, but Coded... man. I also love how the first impression of KH being just cool hack-slash with Dinsey cameos was shattered. It is something much more than that, an crazy adventure full of twists and turns.
Guess it raised your curiosity towards the story thou? :)

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Guess it raised your curiosity towards the story thou? :)
Ha, the main reason why I leapt down this rabbit hole was because of all that poorly-explained stuff. I was seeking answers to so many questions. Of course, my next action was to play Days, which created far more questions than it answered.

My lack of basic knowledge made Days a rather unique experience, though. The game follows a protagonist who knows nothing, but the narrative assumes that the player is somewhat informed on things such as the events of Castle Oblivion. As a result, Roxas was a very relatable character to me, because it seemed like we were both equally clueless and confused. And we weren't aware that black coats = bad guys.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
It`s always about the magical number III isn`t it? :D

Sadly it is, which is also why I am secretly hoping that Nomura really decides to scrap the whole system of "numbered games" altogether after the Xehanort saga so a KH game cannot be dismissed/dissed from the very start just because it doesn't have a number.

Ha, the main reason why I leapt down this rabbit hole was because of all that poorly-explained stuff. I was seeking answers to so many questions. Of course, my next action was to play Days, which created far more questions than it answered.

My lack of basic knowledge made Days a rather unique experience, though. The game follows a protagonist who knows nothing, but the narrative assumes that the player is somewhat informed on things such as the events of Castle Oblivion. As a result, Roxas was a very relatable character to me, because it seemed like we were both equally clueless and confused. And we weren't aware that black coats = bad guys.

Starting with Re: Coded I've not encountered very often in fans yet and due to its structure I dare say it's not the best entry to start.
Days is also clearly an icky choice to start the series with as it is not only totally in the middle of things (unlike Coded, which stands practically at the end of an arc while DDD starts up the next arc), it is also sort of detached from the rest a little cause its just there to fill in holes in a year of time during the series, and that it even does not very well.

There's an exception to black coats = bad guys though, if the Black coat in question is tiny and has big, round radar ears it's not a bad guy. ;P

Anagram

Banned
Sadly it is, which is also why I am secretly hoping that Nomura really decides to scrap the whole system of "numbered games" altogether after the Xehanort saga so a KH game cannot be dismissed/dissed from the very start just because it doesn't have a number.
Maybe he'll troll us all and have a reboot ending lol. [jk] (though I joke it'd be kinda cool to see Xehanort partially succeed and make a brand new realm parallel yet outside the rest) (a mirror realm to have a fresh series start while the old one to keep the story going)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back