• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Why America Isn't the Greatest Country in the World

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reagan Rayden

Exploding Man
Awards
Reminds me of something Lewis Black once talked about in one of his stand up specials.

[video=youtube;4mCDZMWVWuc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4mCDZMWVWuc[/video]

I agree that we aren't the greatest country in the world. I don't like to think any one country is the best.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards

Just watched this recently and thought I'd share. I'd love to hear what you guys think about this. Do you agree? Disagree? Why do you?

No offense or anything meant (and I don't mean to sound like a Liberal or w/e) but if you are a citizen that is educated about your country and other countries, then there's your answer, more or less.

There's stark differences between the US and other "free countries," etc. For example, you could live in Canada and have free medical care - but enjoy probably waiting 3+ months on an organ donation or some surgery. Here in 'Mureca, you wait less/have more shit available, but it ain't free.

The US' biggest problem is its economy, yes - the however much trillion dollars, and so on - the same old shit we've been induced to seeing on the news ever since the recession in 2008. The US Government has tried to offset earmarks - see also stupid shit that Congressmen try to tack onto bills that are sent through.

Student debt is also an issue, however:

If you cannot afford to go to whatever fancy nice college place right off the bat, don't. Go to a community college and get your diddlying two year degree, and transfer to the four year university, and finish up there. Most community colleges/herpderp universities do this for in-state only - regardless, you'll save money, and still get your happy ass a degree in whatever it is.

I would also advise getting a degree that is diddlying practical or useful and is more than likely needed/have jobs availiable. (Diddlying Teacher or Doctor vs Psychiatrist or something like that, pretty sure you can figure that one out) Also bear in mind that if you get interviews for said job, there are thousands of other people just like you, with the exact same degree, that are also trying to get that job. Good luck.

inb4 everyone else waddles their diddlying butt in here to give their opinionated poop response

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
what, you mean that imperialist piece of shit with an asinine military-industrial complex ("we r world leader!! we liberate every1 ya??") that regularly diddlys with and destroys people's lives, especially outside of its borders? whaaaaaat? how can you hate those endearing dorks? they have like, pretty good sitcoms, or something.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
Wow, you don't say. I honestly think most reasonable people would agree that America, while obviously not the worst country in the world (in terms of how it is to live there anyway, it depends on how you define "worst" and in what area), is really not the "best" at all. You can definitely say that there are worse countries to live in and that have contributed less to the legacy of humanity overall, but "the best country in the world period" is just a meaningless statement that's completely based on your arbitrary definition of "best". Best in what way?

And as a non-american, his spiel about how America USED to be great just sounds like sentimental bullshit to me even somehow he is right in anyway.

Ðari

Look at you, armor-less
Staff member
Awards
they have like, pretty good sitcoms, or something.
western comic book artists also.

Nope. The country has fallen from grace, but go figure as I thought that was to be expected when you're at the pinnacle, where the impression is you fall off eventually right? There is your answer.

Awards
Well, what countries do you think are better?

The first person to say Japan, Australia, Sweden or Canada is a faggot btw.

Voltron

Silver Member
Well, what countries do you think are better?

The first person to say Japan, Australia, Sweden or Canada is a faggot btw.

Finland.

And to Solar, we only liberate a nation we see fit that is of use to us. If you're not a country in turmoil that produce things we need (oil, drugs, tax havens, etc...) we don't liberate. Yay, we helped!

D

Deleted member 36435

amazingly, every country sucks because most of them have people in them

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
i would rather have to pay more money to live here than worry about being executed for free speech, having my hand cut off, have to get a new organ and being unable to in time, getting murdered by something in australia breath in radioactive fumes in japan (which has enough weird shit), etc.

it all boils down to simple science that i'll get punched in the dick for: live free or die hard

what does this contribute to the thread?

Last edited:

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
inb4 "America was better before"

We're talking about a country founded on chattel slavery and genocide of the native population of its land. It moved on to disenfranchisement of every minority that emigrated there (and its women), and experimenting with STDs on Latin Americans.

2013 America > Any other America.

That said, it's not the greatest country in the world. That also said, it's fucking better than 95% of them. Americans whine about their government, but at least they're allowed to whine about it. The country has an entire TV channel dedicated to slandering and lying about the ruling Administration, and guess what? That shit's legal. When it comes to free speech, America's top notch (try denying the Holocaust in Europe and see where that gets you). Healthcare? Not so much. Like everything, there's upsides and downsides.

tl;dr meh

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
While I do believe Mr. Mackavoy was a little too nostalgic, yeah, I have to agree with all the political points he actually brings up in the entire series so far.

And of all the things he could've said in that video, ther's one thing I would have: that Australia's origins are very similar to America's and they dont (seem to) have a political party that throws the terms "freedom", "liberty" and well that's it around like a beach ball.

No offense or anything meant (and I don't mean to sound like a Liberal or w/e) but if you are a citizen that is educated about your country and other countries, then there's your answer, more or less.

There's stark differences between the US and other "free countries," etc. For example, you could live in Canada and have free medical care - but enjoy probably waiting 3+ months on an organ donation or some surgery. Here in 'Mureca, you wait less/have more shit available, but it ain't free.
I have to call bullshit on this one since I have relatives in Canada and hail from there myself. At worst, the wait is a few days. My Uncle has had a number of heart attacks, and yes he waited half a week. but he got a succesful transplant and he's not in the wealthiest one percent. not exactly a rarity either. Difference is people are covered, whereas lots of people here in the US aren't because many get rejected.

Last edited:

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
While I do believe Mr. Mackavoy was a little too nostalgic, yeah, I have to agree with all the political points he actually brings up in the entire series so far.

And of all the things he could've said in that video, ther's one thing I would have: that Australia's origins are very similar to America's and they dont (seem to) have a political party that throws the terms "freedom", "liberty" and well that's it around like a beach ball.

I have to call bullshit on this one since I have relatives in Canada and hail from there myself. At worst, the wait is a few days. My Uncle has had a number of heart attacks, and yes he waited half a week. but he got a succesful transplant and he's not in the wealthiest one percent. not exactly a rarity either. Difference is people are covered, whereas lots of people here in the US aren't because many get rejected.

yeah, the wait times can get pretty absurd, but that's not necessarily a problem with the system necessarily: in my province, and we pay doctors quite well mind you, there is just a huge shortage of doctors (1000 or so i believe) and related resources.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
yeah, the wait times can get pretty absurd, but that's not necessarily a problem with the system necessarily: in my province, and we pay doctors quite well mind you, there is just a huge shortage of doctors (1000 or so i believe) and related resources.
Is there? My family's in Ontario. Where are you?

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
At one time we were the greatest nation in the world, i just wonder when things started to take a turn for the worst.

When? When slavery and human trafficking were legal? When only men were allowed to vote? When sodomy was a criminal act? When exactly was America the greatest nation in the world?

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
oh yeah and now america is trying to monitor the entire goddamned world olololol

MUH FREEDUM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back