• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What's the real way one can obtain a Keyblade?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Also, I don't think the Mickey Keyblade thing is a fair comparison, considering it's not one that chose him, it's one he went out and sought.

The evidence suggests it's possible to wield more than one Keyblade but not at the same time unless you have hearts stacked within you.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
LowlyShadow its also very important to note that no matter how nice/convincing we put it, the later games have shown us that Nomura is the only authority that can confirm anything with certainty and even then he changes things. We're giving you the closest/correct(subjective)collective thought on these matters.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Pretty much. The Rite does, however, make it far more likely for someone with those qualities to get the blade. And yeah, like Absent said, this could all be completely retconned if anyone in charge feels like it. But this is about as definitive as it gets, with the info we have to work with as of now.

Awards
Hmm, so to re-do my statement; anyone WITH the right qualities can get one?
With the right qualities and circumstances. Sora got the chance to have one because he flailed around in Riku's darkness and took the keyblade in Riku's heart. So someone with the qualifications but no tie to a keyblade would need someone with a keyblade "steal" it from, I think.

Also, I think that by "one keyblade per viable heart," they just mean one at a time. You can grab and use another keyblade if you fin it and can weild. That's what Aqua did with Eraqus's keyblade and that's what Mickey did when he went to find Kingdom Key D.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Also, I think that by "one keyblade per viable heart," they just mean one at a time. You can grab and use another keyblade if you fin it and can weild. That's what Aqua did with Eraqus's keyblade and that's what Mickey did when he went to find Kingdom Key D.
Well, we do have those brief moments in II where both Sora and Riku are shown to be able to use the other's Keyblade alongside their own. Remember how Sora was able to go completely HAM on Xemnas with his own Keyblade and Way to the Dawn?

LowlyShadow

Alright, thanks guys! :) I really learned a lot! Even if some of the stuff is not confirmed yet, it's nice to see some speculation and discussion to get my gears working. But for the sake of the series' future, I really hope some of the elements of the story gets a better explanation on the next installments or hopefully they would release some sort of guide which explains more on the lore. KH3D, 1.5 and 2.5 is still not enough for me to understand everything.

"I'm lost enough as it is!" - Sora(KH2)

But I do wonder if any of the plot elements might get retconned in the future installments :/

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
"I'm lost enough as it is!" - Sora(KH2)

Kingdom Hearts in a nutshell.

As for plot elements getting retconned... bro, it's Kingdom Hearts. Retconning is a foregone conclusion. It's happened many times before and will most certainly happen again.

Last edited:
Awards
Well, we do have those brief moments in II where both Sora and Riku are shown to be able to use the other's Keyblade alongside their own. Remember how Sora was able to go completely HAM on Xemnas with his own Keyblade and Way to the Dawn?
But it was still Riku's and Sora's hearts that had the keyblades there. They shared, but the Kingdom Key was the keyblade Sora was actively using at the moment and Soul Eater was the one Riku was using. You can hold others' keyblades if they don't call them back, especially if you yourself are a wielder, I think.

LowlyShadow

Hmm, I have another afterthought about this. Can a chosen wielder of the Keyblade reject the offer of taking up the weapon? Or can the power of wielding a Keyblade be removed or taken from someone? Is there any case about this in the series? With the exception of Data Sora of course, since his original was made of data.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
Hmm, I have another afterthought about this. Can a chosen wielder of the Keyblade reject the offer of taking up the weapon?
Doesn't seem that way. Sora says in KH1 that he didn't ask for this, and Leon basically says "tough shit, kid".

Or can the power of wielding a Keyblade be removed or taken from someone? Is there any case about this in the series?
I guess the closest is the aforementioned Ansem/Xemnas case.

Awards
Well he never really lost the power to wield the Keyblade. He just lost his Keyblade, lol.
Huh, forgot that little caveat.

Then how about this: Maybe it was sort of the same deal with Xemnas-Ansem? Or, rather, maybe when the darkness stole "Ansem's" keyblade, rather than that meaning it was lost to both of them, it meant it went to the him that formed after the darkness took his heart, Xemnas. His lightsabers may have been an intermediate for his keyblade just like Riku's sword was an intermediate for his?

Ooor I'm totally misinterpreting stuff again, ahaha...

Pheonax

Hmm, I have another afterthought about this. Can a chosen wielder of the Keyblade reject the offer of taking up the weapon? Or can the power of wielding a Keyblade be removed or taken from someone? Is there any case about this in the series? With the exception of Data Sora of course, since his original was made of data.
In this case I think it's fair to say that if anyone's heart is weakened in resolve then they lose the ability to wield their keyblade. For example, Riku lost his to Sora, but eventually gained his own. On the idea of relinquishing the ability to use it, the only thing we can say for sure is that someone can refuse to use the keyblade, but if their heart is strong and they have the keyblade, the keyblade will stay with them and the ability to use it, too.

As for Data Sora and his keyblade, I think it boils down to the fact that everything in the KH universe has a heart. For example, Pinocchio has a heart, which is clearly stated in the first Kingdom Hearts, even though he is just a puppet. As do worlds. Basically, any living shell will grow a heart if given enough time and exposure to other hearts (my interpretation from Nomura's words). So, whose to say that data taken from a real heart cannot grow a heart in time. Since Sora is the center of the journal, the heart of the data would be the Data Sora's heart. And as we know from Coded, Data Sora interacts with beings who possess hearts i.e. Micky, Goofy, and Donald. The factors are there, so if we go along with my conclusion then it's fair to say that if the real Sora's heart is capable of wielding a keyblade then so should Data Sora once he grows a heart.

On to Ansem's/Xemnas's keyblade fiasco. The cutscene where Riku is talking to Ansem Seeker of Darkness, or Xehanort's Heartless, he says that because Ansem had let his heart go into darkness, he lost the use of the keyblade. That is entirely wrong. There are keyblade wielders of light and darkness. Master Xehanort clearly had darkness in his heart, and yet he was one of the best keyblade wielders in the entire series. You could argue that he was just manipulating the darkness, and that he never had darkness in his heart. And I could say that at the end of KH3 Sora is going to kiss Kairi in a big emotional scene. Point is, we don't know the state of Xehanort's heart. Based off what we have, darkness doesn't make one lose their keyblade. I think the reason Ansem SoD can't use his(don't know if I should be saying his here) keyblade is because he is a heartless. It wouldn't make sense for a heartless to be able to use a keyblade, whether or not that heartless was made from a keyblade wielder. Nobodies apparently are capable of wielding keyblades, as seen by Roxas, and so it stands to reason that Xemnas should be able to wield one too. BUT (this is a very big but), it is apparent that when Master Xehanort was defeated by Terra's Lingering Will, and then subsequently lost to Aqua and fell into darkness, he lost most, if not all of his memories, save for the name Xehanort. That means he had lost his memory of the keyblade. Now I know what you're thinking: "In DDD, the scene where Terranort murders the apprentices and Lea and Isa showed him wielding a keyblade! Explain that!" And I say to that: I DON'T KNOW! Nomura really has got A LOT of explaining to do in KH3, and I hope that he addresses this. The best explanation that I can offer is that Xehanort's heart took over Terra's body in that moment and when it did, he could use the keyblade. This entire topic leads into a whole different theory I have about Xemnas and Ansem SoD, particularly about their split from Terranort, but that can wait for another time.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
On to Ansem's/Xemnas's keyblade fiasco. The cutscene where Riku is talking to Ansem Seeker of Darkness, or Xehanort's Heartless, he says that because Ansem had let his heart go into darkness, he lost the use of the keyblade. That is entirely wrong. There are keyblade wielders of light and darkness. Master Xehanort clearly had darkness in his heart, and yet he was one of the best keyblade wielders in the entire series. You could argue that he was just manipulating the darkness, and that he never had darkness in his heart.
You are misinterpreting what Riku said. He never said that someone with darkness in their heart can't wield the Keyblade --- they all have darkness in their hearts after all -- he was specifically talking about how Ansem became a Heartless and thus lost the Keyblade. It was specifically the fact that Ansem lost his heart, not that he simply had darkness in his heart.

Pheonax

You are misinterpreting what Riku said. He never said that someone with darkness in their heart can't wield the Keyblade --- they all have darkness in their hearts after all -- he was specifically talking about how Ansem became a Heartless and thus lost the Keyblade. It was specifically the fact that Ansem lost his heart, not that he simply had darkness in his heart.
From the video Riku says, "Ansem, or should I say Xehanort, darkness stole your heart, and the keyblade with it." I agree that this statement is up for debate, considering that Riku pulls in the name Xehanort. But, one thing that Riku never mentions is becoming a heartless. You could say that the "stole your heart" bit is a reference to his heartless state, but then why refer to him as Xehanort? To me, Riku has no idea what he's talking about. And it is never mentioned in the series that just by letting darkness into your heart, you automatically lose your heart. If your heart is strong enough, like Xehanort's, then it can withstand the darkness. You have to die to lose your heart, which is what happens to weak-hearted beings that let darkness into their hearts.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
Maybe we don't have to overthink it. Ansem is a Heartless therefore he can't wield one, so mentioning Xehanort is not random. Had he been talking to Old Nort then it would be a different context.

Awards
From the video Riku says, "Ansem, or should I say Xehanort, darkness stole your heart, and the keyblade with it." I agree that this statement is up for debate, considering that Riku pulls in the name Xehanort. But, one thing that Riku never mentions is becoming a heartless. You could say that the "stole your heart" bit is a reference to his heartless state, but then why refer to him as Xehanort? To me, Riku has no idea what he's talking about. And it is never mentioned in the series that just by letting darkness into your heart, you automatically lose your heart. If your heart is strong enough, like Xehanort's, then it can withstand the darkness. You have to die to lose your heart, which is what happens to weak-hearted beings that let darkness into their hearts.
He called him Xehanort instead of Ansem because in KH2, they learned that Ansem was a fake name that actually belong to Ansem the Wise. They were used to calling him Ansem, so he and Sora made that mistake even after they learned, but they still know he's actually not Ansem at all.

The darkness "stealing his heart" is not the same as just letting it in. The darkness stealing your heart is the point where you lose her heart, and when you lose your heart you typically become a heartless, like the AnsemSoD heartless he was talking to. Xehanort lost his heart --or cast it away --as evidence of him having a heartless and a nobody. Actually, Terranort, but they don't call him Terranort in game, they call him Xehanort.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
collect all figures in disney infinity 3.0

LowlyShadow

Thanks again for all the lovely replies guys!

So from my question about if anyone can reject the Keyblade: the answer's might be no I guess. Given from all of the discussion so far, a person chosen by the Keyblade can still choose to use the weapon or not, but for now, there is no way of "removing" its powers from the user and they are stuck with it.

Also, I guess the way a character say something or their actions in a scene can lead to multiple interpretations and are still up for debate. It's been a long while since I buried myself deep in this kind of KH discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back