• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What is a god?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
Sometimes, they simply couldn't. Many babies are hidden from the gods as such.

To me, a god is a being above human with his own source of power.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
See, in Judeo-christian mythology, the Devil, angels and the like have power only because God allows it. These are not gods, they're merel tools.

Johnny Stooge

Hawkguy
Awards
(I've been wanting to bring this up, as childish it may seem, but I think it fits in with the subject.)

According to your definition, wouldn't that make Superman a god?

E

Eclipse

A god is something you worship. Simple as that, your god can even be t.v. if it takes over your whole life. =/

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
Not really. We're talking about mythology and definitions here. A TV is an electronic appliance, regardless of what the viewer does with it.

Alaude Drenxta

\+The Devil's+/ .{Advocate}.
I worship myself Eclipse, that makes me a God, right?

I worship Phoenix too, he is now a God.

See my point?

E

Eclipse

I worship myself Eclipse, that makes me a God, right?

That makes you your god. =/

I worship Phoenix too, he is now a God.

That means you think of him as a god.

If you're thinking in mythological definitions as what a deity is though, that's a different story somewhat =/

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
But see, there's no such thing as "your god" here, you're either a god or you're not, there's no such thing as "sort of god".

quitejaded

I Do Phoenix.
Website
xanga.com
I believe a God should be something with a considerable amount of control, power or oversight on the entities in his realm. He doesn't have to be the creator.

Ooh, like telepaths, or ghosts.
Pho...

Telepaths and ghosts are not defying science.

First of all, there are a few logical and supposed explainations for telepathy. It's something usually taken for fantasy and not much is done to actually figure it out, if its there at all.

Same with ghosts.

Why are you even bringing them up? The person didn't say anything like that.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
I believe a God should be something with a considerable amount of control, power or oversight on the entities in his realm. He doesn't have to be the creator.

The Devil be praised. God of Sin.

Pho...

Telepaths and ghosts are not defying science.

HAHAHAHAHA!

First of all, there are a few logical and supposed explainations for telepathy. It's something usually taken for fantasy and not much is done to actually figure it out, if its there at all.

Example, please?

Same with ghosts.

Do you know what consciousness is, QJ? Now do you know where consciousness resides? The brain.

Now tell me of a scientist who can prove the minds doesn't exist in the brain, seeing as how a ghost would have *no* brain.

Why are you even bringing them up? The person didn't say anything like that.

Geez, QJ, the person said a being who can manipulate reality and defy science is a god, so I mentioned 2 things that manipulate reality and defy science to prove it wrong.

Try to keep up.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
No? Thinking without a brain, or magically picking up on though through matter is not an alteration of reality?

Phantom000

Pheonix, in order to accurately explain what an alteration of reality is, you'd first have to define reality. Could you do so?

MESMAR_RISING

Bronze Member
Awards
I spent some time reading about this(because I was feeling somewhat bored) and came across this definition:

"deity: any supernatural being worshipped as controlling some part of the world or some aspect of life or who is the personification of a force"

That would include both the myths of gods(as many of them were personifications of some force that people attempted to explain) as well as some of the more popular gods("God" etc...). Given the fact that I was raised as a catholic(even though I don't consider myself a catholic) and that I have more knowledge on Catholicism as opposed to most other religions, I'll use examples from this to explain how this definition could apply.

God is the personification, made by those who pioneered this religion, of "good."

Satan would then be the personification of "evil."

Though there is said to be only one god in the Catholic religion, any being that has the ability to oppose a supposedly all-powerful being such as "God" would have to also be a god(at least in my opinion).

Anyways, that's what I think...

MESMAR_RISING

Bronze Member
Awards
The Devil fits that definition, you know.

Satan would then be the personification of "evil."

Though there is said to be only one god in the Catholic religion, any being that has the ability to oppose a supposedly all-powerful being such as "God" would have to also be a god(at least in my opinion).

I'm assuming that you're comment was directed to me. The part after mentioning Satan as the personification of evil was to say that I believe that the devil should be categorized as a god because it personifies evil, just as in contrast the one known as God would be categorized as a god because it is the personification of evil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back