• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Video Game Reviews

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coffee Lover

Bronze Member
Awards
How much do video game reviews affect whether or not you buy a certain video game?

In my case, I rely a bit on reviews. Back when I first started gaming, I was able to get a hold of demos. Now I'm not able to, so I read many different reviews and study on the game a bit. I don't have $60 to throw away. I've been doing that for quite a while and rarely have I wasted any money.

Bebop Blues

Silver Member
Depends on how badly I want the game. If it's a game I must have then a review doesn't mean a damn thing, but if it's a game I'm only slightly interested in then I'll let reviews decide on if I'll buy it or not.

scubasteve

Banned
Awards
little to not at all

i look at like gamefaqs shit for entertainment but i dont let them influence a decision i'd rather just go to friends who have similar gaming tastes as me for an opinion rather than a *scoff* gameinformer review

sora4sky

~(x)~Sword Art Online~(x)~
if there's one thing i don't trust anymore it's a video game review in any publication

Agreed.

I really don't look at reviews at all. If a friend picks a game i want then i go and play it, if i like it i buy it. If none of my friends has the game then i ask friends with similar gaming tastes and decide for myself.

I believe that changing your decision on someone's else opinion and you don't know if you like/play the same games he does is a little stupid...

Chrono Mizaki

Banned
Agreed.

I really don't look at reviews at all. If a friend picks a game i want then i go and play it, if i like it i buy it. If none of my friends has the game then i ask friends with similar gaming tastes and decide for myself.

Actually the problem I find within my group of friends is that they are worse than reviewers themselves. Sure, some of them hate Call of Duty, but when they come to me to argue a point about games, they are SHIT at portraying their points. Fuck me, I put IGN on a higher pedestal than PS3-centric fanboy with 10/10 Heavenly Sword or World of Warcraft Boy.

Actually, World of Warcraft boy actually make some decent point. But he loses credibility when he doesn't try to back up about the Junction System being good in FFVIII.

Silverslide

need some more candy cane
That is why I buy a game that catches my interests and judge it myself. If it isn't good or I don't like it, I sell it.

Listening to people who are arguably paid to say good things about a video game is even worse than listening to fanboys IMO.

Awards
I only trust Gameinformer reviews nowadays. I remember the one time I decided to buy a game even though they gave it a 6.25 I regretted it.

teardrop

I only trust Gameinformer reviews nowadays. I remember the one time I decided to buy a game even though they gave it a 6.25 I regretted it.

Agreed. I'm moderately influenced by their reviews. I can't throw $60 down the drain every time a game comes out that looks a tad bit interesting. I usually find GI's reviews pretty decent as compared to some other reviews. I rarely go elsewhere for reviews.

But if it's a game I really want, like oh BBS, I usually say screw it to the review and buy the game anyway. Score be damned.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
I make sure to watch many reviews, especially ones that have the 'You'll hate/You'll like' sections. Number ratings are stupid as hell so if I watch a review from, say, GameTrailers, I watch most of the review and quit it before I see any numbers because really they're hardly indicative of anything. I also make sure to see what gamers in the community think about it, such as what Halo gamers think of Halo: Reach, for instance.

Silverslide

need some more candy cane
I make sure to watch many reviews, especially ones that have the 'You'll hate/You'll like' sections. Number ratings are stupid as hell so if I watch a review from, say, GameTrailers, I watch most of the review and quit it before I see any numbers because really they're hardly indicative of anything. I also make sure to see what gamers in the community think about it, such as what Halo gamers think of Halo: Reach, for instance.

This too. I also read User Reviews instead of watching the site reviews. Though they may be biased, I still think it's good to see what other gamers might think about it.

sora4sky

~(x)~Sword Art Online~(x)~
Actually the problem I find within my group of friends is that they are worse than reviewers themselves. Sure, some of them hate Call of Duty, but when they come to me to argue a point about games, they are SHIT at portraying their points. Fuck me, I put IGN on a higher pedestal than PS3-centric fanboy with 10/10 Heavenly Sword or World of Warcraft Boy.

Actually, World of Warcraft boy actually make some decent point. But he loses credibility when he doesn't try to back up about the Junction System being good in FFVIII.

Hmm, yeah this is a problem indeed. Well in this situation the best you can do is to try and find it so you can play it yourself or look to many reviews and make your decision or look to youtube for gameplay videos and see if you like the game.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Yeah, that's another problem. Some reviews downgrade the game because of some little tiny issue. The one in NUNS2 sounds like it actually extends the play time of the game, and by working through the story, forces you to get better. Fail to see the issue with that :D

Awards
Yeah, that's another problem. Some reviews downgrade the game because of some little tiny issue. The one in NUNS2 sounds like it actually extends the play time of the game, and by working through the story, forces you to get better. Fail to see the issue with that :D

Isn't that common in fighting games anyway?

khphantom97

Website
www.youtube.com
I look at them, I guess. I get GI and PTOM every month. But I rarely get a game based on reviews save for exceptions. Like, if I think it looks stupid, and gets a 10/10, then I will probably look into it, whereas if I really want it, and it gets a 4/10, then I probably won't get it, or wait until it goes down in price signifigantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back