• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

VentureBeat Interviews Tai Yasue on KINGDOM HEARTS 2.8

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
Sorta related but not really... do you think developing it for the Xbox too is the reason why they switched the engine? Or was it truly because they really felt restricted and wanted something they could customize more?

Last edited:

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
The way I understand it and from what I read (I'm paraphrasing here):

Crystal Tools or whatever they started with was a PITA to do anything with. Not to mention, they were having trouble getting help/tech support when things went south/didn't go the way they wanted. All the devs on the engine were busy or weren't in the company anymore. So they swapped, and Unreal actually has a office in Japan now, so they were able to get the help they needed to make it dance right. Seems also Square had bought a license to it a few years back, but until now they didn't use it.

Also developing a engine is a expensive thing, the way I understand it. I THINK square doesn't want to do that again for a while.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
I can attest that game engines are expensive because I totally played Gamedev tycoon and it took forever and was barely even worth it.

But I guess the engine switch was more related to restrictions rather than trying to accommodate the Xbox, though it could still be a mixture of both.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Sorta related but not really... do you think developing it for the Xbox too is the reason why they switched the engine? Or was it truly because they really felt restricted and wanted something they could customize more?
Nah.

The team from the Luminous Engine was absorbed into the Final Fantasy XV dev team so any issues on XV could be quickly fixed and what not.

With that team now unavailable, any issues KH would have faced in dev would have taken a while to get fixed due to their busy schedule so Square said "diddly it" and changed engine to Unreal Engine 4.

September 2014:

October 2014:

They've said they've been customising the engine and working closely with Unreal devs so any problems on KH are being solved in a timely manner.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Not to mention Luminous wasn't even a finished engine. I don't think they ever actually got the game to Luminous and all of the assets they had made up until that point were still running on DirectX 11 which isn't even an engine lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back