• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Resolve to Fight (Original RP, lots of backstory)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Number XIV

What fate befalls a kingslaying traitor? It wasn't a pleasant question to ponder, but as Drake Barsett ran across the castle wall, royal blood drawing a stuttered line on the stone as it dripped from his sword, it was proving both pressing and persistent. Cries of alarm echoed from behind, but that was fine. The Royal Guard was the most lazy, out of condition force a man could ask for- as long as they were behind, they were staying behind. This was the first threat they'd faced in some ten years, unless you counted the Prince when he'd been rebuked by his father.

With a leap, he cleared the battlements, and tumbled to a roll as he hit the ground. A group of confused conscripts were milling about in the courtyard, looking for a superior officer. At the sight of a raven-haired Drake, charging them with a blood-covered sword, they scattered like a pack of pigeons. He ignored them- no need to for innocent and ignorant to suffer, just for the sins of their king. A few of them rallied, and turned to block his path, short spears gripped in shaking hands. Drake's zweihander came up sharply, and with a few quick slashes, the recruits were either disarmed or disabled. He kept running, dashing for the castle gates. Horns sounded all around, a to-arms, but there was no one there to serve it, no one to stop Drake as he rushed for the slowly closing gates. He judged the distance, the speed of the gates, and realized that just barely he was not going to make it. He snarled in bitter disappointment, but kept running all the same.

Suddenly, a trumpet sounded, as if in reply to Drake's dismay, and this one did not come from within the castle. Instead, it came from beyond the gates, and was accompanied by a roaring battle cry, one that Drake knew well. It was cry of the First Corsairs of Kaer- Drake's unit. Arrows thunked along the wall near the gate, and the doors stopped moving. As he neared, Drake saw one figure leading the unit- Ranaes Rommwell of the Ordian Thirty-Second Cavalry, and, unofficially, Drake's second-in-command. Officially, she was supposed to be their prisoner, but with all the things they'd been doing lately, they could hardly be called loyal to the crown.

"What are you doing here?" he asked incredulously. "This is my responsibility, I'm supposed to-"

"Did you honestly expect your men to go back to serving the king after all that had happened? Taking sole responsibility, getting a full pardon for your men- admirable actions, perhaps, but shouldn't you have stopped to consider their thoughts on the matter?" countered Ranaes in her easy, critical manner. "We're with you until the end, Commander Barsett- not to the throne."

"There is no throne anymore..." whispered Drake quietly. Ranaes's eyes widened in understanding.

"You... you didn't really-"

"We'll talk about it later. We break to the east. Move!"

--------------------------------------------------------

Three nations at war- Ord, Elemnia, and Kaer. There is no antagonist nation, no country of evil- like in life, there is no people that can be called villianous. All war for different reasons, and all reasons are valid and right. The only thing that can be said to be definitely wrong is the war itself.

Ord, a free nation, has long held a policy of absolute peace. They do not invade others, and they do not help others fend off invaders, in hopes that other nations will follow their example. The only time they take up arms is when they themselves are invaded, and that is the case at the moment. To defend their homeland, their people, and their philosophies, they take up arms against the invaders. Their army is well-trained and enviably equipped, but inexperienced. Ord is itself an ancient nation, the oldest on the continent, but in the past fifty years it has undergone a revolution and complete change of government. Once a monarchy, the nation now resides under an experimental democratic system of a parliament and prime minister.

Elemnia is a nation united in its faith, and a belief that one day they will find their promised land, where enlightenment and happiness can truly be found. Led by the Church of Elm and its head of office, the Disciple, Elemnia believes it has finally found its promised land, and will do anything to reach it. For this purpose, they have invaded Ord, and will fight to their last breathe to achieve it. The Elemnian military is rather unexceptional in all ways except its numbers- it has an incredible number of experienced, devoted soldiers, large enough to make up for its other shortcomings.

Kaer is a classical monarchy, taken in an unique direction. Having enjoyed stability and peace for such a long time, the kings of Kaer have decided that it is their duty to spread this peace throughout the world- through force, if necessary. They have tasked themselves as the world's peacekeepers, and wherever there is conflict, the Kaeran forces will show up to quell the fighting and stop the aggressor. In this case, however, the usually simple plan has gone awry- in addition to fighting the invader, Elemnia, they find themselves fending off Ord, who has taken their intervention quite personally.

Now these three nations fight a three-way battle, and no end is in sight.

Up to this point, no part of this has seemed too extraordinary- though fictional, this is a situation that could have happened in the Dark Ages of our own world for that matter. But this is not just a world of swords, this is a world of sorcery as well, and the two are linked indivisibly. This is a world that has never seen a swordsmith. In this world, swords are forged by the soul's resolve. A sword is not a weapon that any man can wield- each sword is a physical manifestation of the bearer's willingness to fight. They shape themselves according to the personality and traits of their bearer, and no one else may wield them. Similarly, not all of them are swords- some are spears, bows, or any other medieval weapon you can imagine. These blades are true to who you are, not to what you want- so though it might be handy for you to have a bow, the weapon does not respond to your wishes, so you're stuck with what you've got.

And the aforementioned sorcery, where does it fit in? Well, on occasion, when the time comes for a person to summon their weapon for the first time (called a Forging), no weapon comes out. Instead, they realize an ability to control the forces of magic that flow through the air, and shape them into gouts of flame, gusts of wind, a healing touch, or one of countless possibilites. This power does not come unrestricted, however- they cannot wield it alone. Instead, they must find another person that they have a deep connection with- a friend, an idol, or, most commonly, a love- and use that connection as an anchor, allowing their power to flow forth. This person cannot be a magic-user themselves, or the connection will not anchor them at all, instead allowing the magic to consume them, and eventually destroying their mind. Minor curative magics are possible without a partner, as they do not put too much strain on the soul, but offensive and status-affecting spells are completely impossible alone. Magic-users are quite rare- though every person has the ability to Forge, only one in every three people are put in a position to discover it, and within that, one in every twenty Forges to use magic. This number is noticably higher in Kaer (where it is 1-in-10) due to the high level of magic in the air, but still quite rare.

So the stage is set. The world has been drawn before you, in all of its oddities and wonders. In the next post (I have to make this two in an attempt to avoid a massive wall of text, sorry about the double post), I will bring you up to speed on current events, the specifics of each nation's militaries, the rules of this RP, and the template for applying. Thanks to all of those who braved this massive chunk of writing- it's longer than I'd hoped, but any shorter, and I'd be selling short an idea that's been burning in my head for months.

Last edited:

Sean

Ehhhhhh
Awards
Awesome.

I'll be joining this as soon as you post the template.

Number XIV

Wow! Looks like I won't have to double post after all, cool. Just finishing up here.

The war has been going on for five months now, and though there have been some major upsets, it shows no signs of stopping. Against all odds, it looked as though Kaer was about ready to force Elemnia into submission, turning this into a straight one-on-one against Ord, when the unthinkable happened. A Kaer officer, Commander Drake Barsett of the Navy special forces group the Corsairs, was brought before the king of Kaer, King Alexander Hohengriem, for charges of treason. As a high ranking officer, he was to be granted the opportunity to speak with the king before he was thrown in prison, but somehow the man broke free, and killed the king. He escaped, and took his unit with him, forming the Conflict Opposition Force. Their goal is to end the fighting by any means necessary, but all three sides refuse to recognize them, considering them instead an unchecked threat, on par with terrorists.

Currently, Kaer is ruled by Prince Lycen Hohengriem, soon to be crowned king. While his father was noted for being manipulative and stubborn, the Prince is instead noted for being hot-headed and rash, and under his command, Kaer's victories against the Elemnian forces have quickly fallen by the wayside. The Kaer military is split into two main forces, Army and Navy, and split further within that. The Army consists of its armbearing infantry, who are simply Army, with no special division of their own, the cavalry, who are called the Dragoons, and the small division made up of mage-soldier pairs, called the Rangers. The Navy consists of the Armada, which is its collection of battle-ready ships, the Flotilla, its non-combat vessels, and the Corsairs, a group of trained infantry in charge of securing docks and riverways for Navy passage.

Ord is ruled by a Parliament of some fifty individuals, each affiliated to one party or another, one of whom is chosen to be the head of state, the Prime Minister. The current Prime Minister is Elena Shepard, a veteran mage from the Ordian military. Her rise to power was quite sudden and unexpected- her partner, now deceased, Fenrayt Shepard, was an extremely charismatic officer who ran for Parliament, and won. Shortly after he'd gotten into office, however, he was assassinated, and as he lay dying, he named his wife and partner as his successor. She served out the remander of his term, and to the astonishment of all, including her own, she proved both an intelligent and wise member, and was re-elected. When the time came to vote within the Parliament for the next Prime Minister, she won quite handily. The Ordian military has no navy, as the nation is landlocked, but does have two seperate divisions of military all the same, the Army and the Sentinels. The Army is in charge of all in the field operations- they deploy in response to threats, moving to engage the enemy. Within the Army are its two special divisions, the Raiders (hit-and-run cavalry) and the Keepers (supply/medical units). The Sentinels are units stationed at specific locations for the purpose of repelling attacks, and are purely defensive. They have no special divisions per se, but the best of the best are sometimes invited to join the Defenders, a group of Sentinels with better access to equipment and unrestrained by the Sentinel red tape.

Finally, Elemnia is led by the Church of Elm, and the Church of Elm is led by Disciple Matthias Ragabash. Ragabash is the thirteenth Disciple the Church has seen, as Disciples are a rare occurence. Usually, one of the higher ranking Cardinals is placed in a position of leadership, but this position is automatically surrendered should a Disciple appear. A Disciple is not just a high ranking member of the church, it is a person with such deep and powerful spiritual connection that their very birth is considered a religious holiday. Part Pope and part prophet, Disciples are followed by the people of Elemnia without question or hesitation. The Elemnian military is divided into its Army, Navy, and Inquisitors. The Army is of course in charge of infantry operations, and has no special divisions whatsoever. The Navy is similarly set-up. This lack of divisions is intentional, for the psychological effect of showing Elemnia as having an overwhelming, unified military that moves and acts as one. This effect is as much for the benefit of the people of Elemnia as for its enemies. The Inquisitors, however, are in charge of internal affairs, and unlike the Inquisitors that come to mind when most of us hear the word, are known to be quite reasonable and considerate. They are, for the most part, heavily armed, devoted police, but their special division the Chosen are in charge of covert ops against enemy forces. The Chosen are not a publicly acknowledged force, but make no mistake, they are there.

Rules:
1. You must be in the military in either one of the three nations, or in Drake's military.
2. You cannot be higher ranking than a lieutenant or lower ranking than a private first class. You're supposed to be something of a hero, is the idea. Maybe you won't start a hero, but hopefully, you'll end that way.
3. Be original. If you're clearly coping an anime or game or something, I'll turn you down.
4. If I turn you down, fix things up/start over and try again! I want to let you in. I don't get gleeful at turning people down.
5. In the RP, don't kill other people's characters, and remember, don't win all the time. You have to let the other RPers get a few victories so the story can go on smooth and everyone can go home happy.
6. If you have any questions about the world, ask. Odds are, I know the answer, and didn't what to waste space putting it down. If I don't, you've got full rights to create your own answer, and it will become a canon part of the world.
7. This is a minor thing... if you're using special fonts/colors, don't go too crazy. Dark colors and medium-small fonts are preferrable. (This isn't aimed at you, Zangetsu! No worries!)

Template:

Name: (Any style of name is fine. Should be a first name and a last name, Western-style, but I don't care if it sounds Arabic or Japanese or Norse.)
Nationality: (Are you Ordian, Elemnian, or Kaeran?)
Affiliation: (What military you're in. Either stick with your county- no Kaeran in the Ordian Army, okay?- or join Drake's Conflict Opposition Force. Don't forget to mention your division and rank!)
Appearance: (What do you look like? If you want to ask about what uniforms look like, I can post on that, but if you don't care, just talk about what they wear when not in uniform, hair color, eyes, face, stance, height, the usual. No pictures, please.)
Forge: (If you have a weapon, describe it for me! Nothing very mechanical, please. It can, and probably should, have a name. If you're a magic user, describe what magics you are proficient in.)
Personality: (What is your character like? How do they act? Mood, phobias, attitude, all that jazz.)
Bio: (Optional. If you're a veteran, or have a particularly interesting civvy live, put it down for me. Otherwise, forget about this.)

I'll have my template up later myself. I was thinking I'd play Commander Drake Barsett himself, but I don't want to have my character giving other RPers orders, cause that would be too weird. Besides, being a Ranger is awful tempting. If anyone wants to be a soldier paired with me as your mage, you let me know, and maybe we can work something out!

Sean

Ehhhhhh
Awards
Name: Vera Shop

Nationality: Ordian

Affiliation:
Ordian Army
The Raiders
Sergeant

Appearance: Vera stands at the average hight of 5'9 and has the perfect fighting body. He has a slightly tan skin color and piercing hazel eyes. Although one would hardly be able to make out his eyes due to the overshadowing, ebony hair.

Even though the military requires a uniform, Vera usually wears his own attire.
A long leather trench coat is worn over a dark red vest. His legs are covered by navy blue pants with the ends tucked into his combat boots. On his right hand he wears a set of rings on his middle and index fingers. On his left hand he wears a generic fingerless glove.

Forge:

Arganax: Vera's long-time weapon Arganax takes the shape of a heavy Bastard Sword. But instead of the plain steel color, Arganax give off a faint glow when used in battle. With the inclusion of light, the sword has unknown characters written on both sides of the sword.

When Vera unleashes his Forge, the blade will begin to brighten, mirroring Vera's heartbeat. Once his adrinaline gets high enough, Arganax will be immersed in a blinding white light. With every swing and slash, a ray of light is left as the slipstream. The ray will stay visible for no less than ten seconds. Also, the rays are as sharp and as hard as Arganax.

Personality: Vera's consistent attitude toward friends and higher ranking officers does not differ as converses with them. Therefore 'higher-ups' are frustrated when he does not reply with 'sir'. Vera also likes to show off and boast about things he has done or never has even imagined in his lifetime. With all that said, Vera still remains popular about the troops.

Bio: Optional Bio? Well I'll still write one....later. (sorry I'm feeling lazy right now =P)

Last edited:

Number XIV

Zangetsu, man, you probably don't want to be third class. It's not a rank that actually exists, but if it did, it would be lower than recruits who hadn't gone through basic training yet. First Class is the highest class of private. You might wanna be a Sergeant or a Corporal?

For the sake of simplicity, all armies in this RP will use the U.S. Army ranking system (United States Army - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), all navies will use the U.S. Navy ranking system (United States Navy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), and the Sentinels will use the U.S. Marine Corps ranking system (United States Marine Corps - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Still on the fence about what to do about the Inquisition- any ideas, PM me. I'll give you credit, don't worry.

I wouldn't worry about this so much if I wasn't military myself, I guess. Sorry.

Sean

Ehhhhhh
Awards
Bumpers.

I don't want this to die before it even starts.

Number XIV

I don't, either. I'll edit this with my character tomorrow- if Spyells still wants to be my partner, I'd like to accomidate that first, but this RP's dying rapidly here.

Announcement! Swords of the soul may have a slight- very slight- magical power to them specific to the sword. I don't mean "it cuts better", something a bit more unique. For example, Drake Barsett's sword shifts the balance of the sword on the fly, in response to how Drake is wielding it. If he's slashing with it two-handed, it shifts the weight further along the blade, if he's going one-handed, it's closer toward the middle, if he throws it, it changes to make it fly straight and true. Another example might be a sword that kicks up a shower of sparks whenever it is blocked or parried, potentially blinding your opponent. So something like that- something not very powerful, and not very magic-y, but still unique and handy. You might wanna add that, Zangetsu, but that aside, you're approved!

Number XIV

Snow! It is a pleasure, as ever. The spot is yours. And Spyells, no worries. We probably won't start the RP until near the end of the week anyway, as it'd be nice if more people joined. As promised, here is my character (in progress):

Name: Leon Montague

Nationality: Elemnian by birth, Kaeran nationalized

Affiliation:
Kaeran Army
Rangers
Chief Warrant Officer 2

Appearance: A dark brown haired boy with deep blue eyes, his hair straight and unkempt, Leon has the simple, plain attractiveness that marks him as Elemnian-born, to those who know what to look for. As a Warrant Officer Combat Specialist, he is excused from wearing a standard uniform, though he must wear his armband that indicates his rank and unit. He does so, wearing it over his navy blue trenchcoat's right shoulder. Underneath, he wears a simple, comfortable white shirt and light khakis. He's not too tall, standing 5'7", and he has the build of a track runner- slender all around, but noticably more muscular around the legs. He has no real distinguishing characteristics, but if (somehow) you catch him with his shirt off, he has a large scar on the left side of his chest where he was run through with a sword.

He always wears his sword with a simple single buckle to secure it to his back. This is partially so he can quickly access it, but mostly just an attempt at looking badass on his part. He has the overly energetic stance of a rookie, but the stance also has no real weaknesses, betraying his true abilities. When not in battle, he stands with a constant impatience- an irritation at being without a job to do. His face looks as young as it is, and generally displays a cocky smile to the world, in spite of what he may actually be thinking.

Forge: Schere - A heavy, single-edged sword with a straight back edge, and a cutting edge that curves to a point at the end. An extremely thick bladed sword, it weighs some six and a half pounds, despite being only slightly longer than a longsword. Leon often will use Schere's weight to his advantage by swinging excessively against those who seem quick to guard, hammering his opponent into exhaustion with repeated, exaggerated blows. The handle of the sword is conical, and wrapped in red leather, with a very unimposing small pommel. Schere's unique ability is slightly abnormal, as it does not directly aid Leon in combat.

Whenever Schere comes into contact with another sword, it vibrates in response to the level of resolve the enemy has. The more it vibrates, the stronger the enemy, and if the foe is judged to be approximately Leon's equal, the sword will audibly hum. With this, Leon is never caught off-guard by a foe's strength, and can spend his time tracking down the strongest enemy on the enemy's side, and defeating them. This power can be turned off at will, so that it does not get annoying in extended fights.

Personality: Cocky and determined, Leon seems like your classic shonen anime protagonist, but don't let that fool you- he's much more deep than that lets on. Despite his perhaps excessive self-confidence, he never rushes into something without knowing the situation, and he knows when he's been bested. He scorns the idea of surrender, but if bested in an even, one-on-one fight, would willing surrender if that was his opponent's wish. Despite his agressive, bloodthirsty reputation, he does not fight for the sake of fighting, of for the sake of killing. He fights because it's the one thing in his life that he's really good at, that people appreciate him for, so he wants to keep doing it.

Though he's seen plenty of terrible things in his life, when it comes to civilian life, he's really quite naive. Leon was basically born into a life of fighting, and has never spent enough time to understand basic things about society. He's not crude, really, but any kind of etiquette or such is completely foreign to him, and while he is willing to learn, he generally just acts shy in public, due to a general uncertainty as to what exactly he is supposed to be doing.

Bio: Born to an Elemnian soldier, Leon ended up being captured by Kaeran forces after they had fought and won a small sortie with the Elemnian forces. The Kaeran troups felt awkward about stealing a baby, but there was nothing else to be done, as the only known parent was dead, and on the enemy's side. By the time the war ended, the squad had spent enough time with the kid that they'd grown attached to him, and managed to get him officially enlisted with them as a squire. By the age of fifteen, he was a full Private First Class, and fighting in a Corsair raiding party.

One mission found them defending a small village from some bandit forces near the border. The village was supposed to be completely evacuted, but of course, it wasn't. A few had stayed behind, whether willingly or by accident, and the Corsairs decided to try to get them to safety. One teenaged girl fell just as a bandit charged at her, and Leon, without thinking, stepped in the way, taking the blow for her. The blade punched straight through his chest, and as he slipped away, he wondered about how better he could have chosen to die. When he awoke to discover that he was not dead, he was quite astonished. The girl, Alex Kisari, in despair and anger, had Forged, and turned out to be a magic user. What's more, it appeared that she had an affinity with Leon.

The two were immediately transferred to the Rangers, and have been a team ever since. Leon Montague and Alex Kisari- the 12th Rangers Combat Specialists.

Last edited:

snowdog

is a girl
Awards
n. 1. a place of settlement, activity, or residenc
Okeydokey! :3

Done, I think!

Name: Kyrr Sawol
Nationality: Elemnian
Affiliation: Elemnian Army, Sergeant Major

Appearance: Kyrr stands at a modest 5'2, leaving her just below average height. Her frame is plain, almost to the point of being boyish, however she has subtle curves upon her body. A natural brunette, her dark locks are fairly short, the longest hairs at her nape reaching her shoulders. She has a small, sweeping side fringe. However, this look is not unbecoming, or misleading, as it compliments her typically feminine, petite face. She looks rather childish, in all honesty. This is probably down to her large, round eyes. They are green, but changeable in tone.
Kyrr's typical attire tends to be swathing numbers, clothing that is fitted but billowing with loose fabric. They are mostly pastel in shade.

Forge: Hiterklina, meaning "swift blade", is Kyrr's forge. A single-bladed weapon, lightweight, with a simple hilt, Hiterklina forms a connection with Kyrr's consciousness in battle. Should she feel nervous, the blade shall be light, striking with little force - as a result, she must maintain a feeling of confidence throughout the battle to ensure that her blade embodies her full determination. Her feelings of inner strength result in physical strength from Hiterklina, leaving the blade light to her - but the strikes heavy to opponents.

Personality: Kyrr, like many of her people, is incredibly devoted to her faith. Had it been entirely her own decision, she would have liked to pursue some sort of lifestyle within it, but, sadly, the closest she could get was joining the Elemnian Army. However, typically, she remains upbeat, and cheerful, proclaiming that if this is her fate, she is unworthy to question it.
Bouncy, excitable, quirky, and fun, Kyrr likes to keep up a happy demeanour even in the saddest of moments. She hates to see others upset, and so does her utmost to ensure a warm environment. The girl is positive, and her faith plays a significant role within her life. Helping others is a huge concern of hers, as is defending her friends and family, and one could easily argue she seems out of place in an army, fighting a war - as a general, no less. Determined in all of her exploits, she is somewhat stubborn, and refuses to give up anything without a good fight, and a strong effort.
However, her refusal to allow the unpleasantries of life to sink in leaves her consistently bottling up things that have hurt her in the past. Emotions are firmly held inside her, not allowed to escape. Anyone would know this is unhealthy, but Kyrr's reluctance to bring about a sad environment keeps her from expressing anything but joy and hope.
Kyrr is fond of animals and children, showing her caring nature. She is very loving, and is hard-pushed to find something or someone she hates. She does not particularly like rude people.

Bio: [[Uh, her past isn't interesting. Regular religious upbringing, two parents, an older brother, and a younger brother. Enrolled in the Army blah blah blah. I hate bios xD]]

Let me know if it's wrong and such. It probably is since I'm rusty with ranking, and I think I misunderstood about forges. Also, XIV, is there anything else we should know about the religion of Elemnia? The Church of Elm etc?

<3

Last edited:

Number XIV

Well, let's address things in turn. The rank is a bit high- a general would be likely be in charge of some ten thousand soldiers, which seems a bit much. I'd make an exception if you wanted to be a Lietenant Colonel, but for the most part, I try to stop people at Lieutenant. Army ranks go like this:

Private Basic
Private
Private First Class
Sergeant/Specialist
Staff Sergeant
Sergeant First Class
Master Sergeant
First Sergeant
Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Those are the enlisted ranks. Then you move on to officer ranks-

Second Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Captain
Major
Lieutenant Colonel
Colonel
Brigadier General
Major General
Lieutenant General
General

The reason I try to keep you guys around or below lieutenant is because if you get much higher, this becomes an RP about filing paperwork ^_^.

With all my attempts at poetry and whatnot, I suppose I might not have done a very solid job of explaining Forges. Basically, when a person is born in this world, they are without a Forge. When the Forge manifests is based on who they are and the life they lived- most people's Forges (2/3 of the population) never manifest. Those who do are without fail placed in the military, for at least some duration. This is assuming you don't draft-dodge, of course.

A Forge is a physical representation of a person's will to fight. The way it is Forged is simple- the first time in your life you are put in a situation where you find yourself willing to fight, and to kill, it manifests. To simply murder the defenseless does not inspire it, as the murderer would not be in much danger. If you are being attacked, and decide to turn and fight rather than run; if your family is in danger, and you stand to defend them; if your honor is sullied, and you do not tolerate it- these sort of things cause you to Forge. When this happens, it's a startling scene- the Forger almost goes into a trance, acting out of instinct. Their body is covered with magical symbols, and then they reach into the ground- whatever they are standing on at the time- and pull out their Forged weapon.

Each Forge is unique to the bearer, and true to the bearer's soul. It can be shaped like any weapon (no guns or the like, as technology isn't at that level), and will have some very slight unique power. The power is never all that noticable, or very powerful- just something unique and supernatural about the blade that gives the bearer an advantage. One Forge is a two-handed sword that will shift its center of weight depending on how it is being wielded. One Forge is a longsword that can purify water of toxans and impurities if dipped in it. It all depends on your character's personality, and even deeper than that, the very nature of their soul.

Forges cannot be stolen, and cannot be destroyed. Any attempt to steal the Forge will end rather badly- the Forge itself lashes out at the thief with enough magical force to break the offending limb that has grasped it. Even if you were to subdue it, there would be no point, as it would not obey you. Generally, when soldiers are taken prisoner, their Forges are kept right outside their cells, due to the impossibility of locking them away. Attempts to destroy the Forge are also pointless- nothing will happen. The only time a Forge will break is either when the bearer dies or loses their will to fight. In both situations, the weapon will break in half, and no longer have any magical powers of any sort.

Forges are not always traditional weapons, of course- one in twenty Forges (that's probability, not a set-in-stone certainty) the ability to wield magic at will. Magic is, of course, more powerful than any weapon-based Forge, but comes with significant trade-offs. By yourself, you cannot cast any spell more powerful than weak healing spells- anything more, and the magic begins the deteriorate your mind. The only way to tap into the vast array of possible magics is to find someone with whom your soul finds kinship. It could be a friend, a sibling (though very rarely), but it is most often a lover, or someone who ends up becoming such. Through your bind with the person, your magic flows to them, and then back to you again, stabilizing you, and giving you a very deep, intimate connection with that person, beyond normal understanding. Basically, that person acts as your anchor to reality- as such, they themselves cannot be a magic-user. Two balloons cannot tie each other down.

Wow, that was longer than I expected. I'll edit in a few hours with stuff on the church. You shouldn't need to change your character based on that, it's just good stuff to know for when the RP starts.

--------------------------------

EDIT: Church time. Let's do this.

The Church of Elm is a religion, a religious organization, and a governmental body focused around the worship of the god Elm, the Keeper of Oaths and Promise Granter. Elm is one of several gods in their pantheon, but is considered the only one who has the interests of mankind at heart, as he is their creator. There are three other deities- Cypress, god of conflict and strife; Aspen, goddess of nature; and Willow, goddess of magic and Forges. These three others have a fickle relationship with mortals, as they are not really on their side, although sometimes their goals intersect with that of the mortals'. Worshipping any, or even all, of these secondary gods is accepted practice, but the worship should be just that- secondary. It is unusual, however, for a person to worship more than two of these others, as generally they have had some hardship in their life that has made them angry or even hateful toward the other gods. They are generally considered to be much like luck- there for you until you really need them; fickle and untrustworthy.

Elm is put on a much higher pedestal, shown as being no more powerful than any of the other gods- indeed, hinted in scripture to perhaps be a bit weaker- but always striving to help out the humans. Many is the passage that descibes Elm putting all on the line for his beloved mortals, and Elemnians worship him unquestioningly. Elemnians accept foreign converts, although not without suspicion, into their country and religion on a somewhat regular basis. The main reason for their conversion is also the Church of Elm's greatest claim to fame- its prophecies. Every once in a great long while, a child will be born under a special sign in Elemnia. This alone is not a claim to holiness, but these children are watched carefully, and some of them are discovered to have the gift of prophecy. They are deemed Disciples, and are made head of the Church for the time that they are alive.

The Church of Elm keeps these prophecies organized by the level of significance they have to the world, from one to five. The Level Five prophecies are kept secret, only known to the heads of the Church, because of how important they are. The Level Fours were once secret as well, but have since been made public. The amazing thing is that just about every prophecy has come true. These aren't vague, Ms. Cleo prophecies either- we're talking prophecies like "The 23rd king of Kaer will be slain by one of his own officers"- a prophecy made some hundred years ago, and proved true but a month ago. These prophecies are enough to convince a great many that the Church of Elm is the real deal. The current Disciple has made a pressing prophecy regarding the Elemnian Promised Land- namedly, where to find it.

The story goes that when the world was created, Elm created a special land for his mortals- a land where the desire to war, to fight, to bicker, to steal, all of it went away, just by living there. A land where peace was truly possible. The other gods thought this beyond pointless- it would deprive them of any source of entertainment, and would spoil the mortals. So they sealed away this land, covering it over with their own nations. Elm, saddened, promised his people that one day, he would lead them to this land, the Promised Land, and would help them all live in harmony. Now, the Thirteenth Disciple has prophocized its discovery- in the land of Ord. In accordance to this prophecy, Elemnia has invaded Ord, and that's where the war starts.

Last edited:

Spyells

You will open the door to light!
An enchanted castle. That's what college is called
Name: Steve Michaels

Nationality: Kaeran

Affiliation:
Kaeran Army
Rangers
Master Sergeant

Appearance: Steve has blue eyes, short black hair, and pale white skin. He is muscular so he is very strong. He is about 5'9 in height. He will usually wear a white t-shirt, khaki pants, and white sneakers when he isn't in uniform. He is supposed to wear glasses, but chooses to wear contacts in stead.

Magic: Steve is proficient in all of the elements of fire, ice, wind, and water. He also knows how to heal.

Personality: Steve is very quiet. He is really smart and doesn't usually tend to express himself that much. There is a small magical air about him though so people who aren't a mage senses his magic. Steve will do whatever it takes to help his nation win this war. He is a very motivated soldier.

Do I need to fix anything? Is anything confusing at all? Is my character still going to work with yours? I'm sorry it took me so long to post this. School is now out for me so I can't devote more time to the forum. :)

Sorry for the double post.

Last edited:

Number XIV

Spyells, the one thing you'll definitely need to fix... you either get a Forge or Magic, not both. Also, there's no need to be so specific with your magic- just indict what sorts of elements (fire, water, wind, etc.) your character is proficient in wielding.

Number XIV

What I meant was, the variety of magic you are proficient with. This isn't like DnD spellcasting- spellcasters here are a lot more natural. They don't have preset spells in their head, they just pull magic out of the air and make it what they will. So your character is probably notably skilled with fire spells, for instance- either they have some affinity with fire or they just use it a lot- which makes them more proficient in that type of spells, so they cast those spells a bit faster, and hit harder with them. Other possible proficiencies could be healing magic, ice magic, wind magic, earth magic, defensive magic, straight-up magical blasts (these are tricky), or something else, if you think of it.

And as for having a weapon... that's why you've got your magic, silly! The Kaeran Army considers this a problem, too, and that's why they created the Rangers- so that your partner would always be next to you, to protect you. They are your sword. You are their artillery. It may not be the happiest setup, but it's the best it gets, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back