What's new

Welcome to Kingdom Hearts Insider

Join us now to get access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, and so, so much more. It's also quick and totally free, so what are you waiting for?

Ask question

Ask Questions and Get Answers from Our Community

Ask a Mod

Ask Questions from your staff

Contact Staff

If you need additional information or have a concern please contact us.

• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Prologue

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

AegisXIII

Reaction score
Awards
Actually what you guys are mentioning is part of a bigger problem:
there is practically no exploration in original worlds.
Dark World, Mysterious Tower, Radiant Garden are not playable. All cutscenes happen there with no gameplay, giving this rush feeling.
Keyblade Graveyard and Twilight Town are so small it feels like a joke.

Basically, they forgot that exploration is part of storytelling.
And the prologue makes no exception. They wanted to go to Disney Worlds as fast as possible as they needed to content players who are not familiar with the series and only wanted the Disney aspect of it.

Last edited:

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Reaction score
Awards
I'll continue to sit over here and roll my eyes at the idea that 0.2 would have been a good opening to KH3. It's so often touted as fact that "it was supposed to be the prologue". Well, then, why isn't it? If it was important to Nomura for KH3 to open with a whole segment where you play as Aqua, he absolutely would have made it happen. Here's why he didn't-- because it would have been terrible, stupid, and wouldn't make any kind of sense.

KH2's opening works because KH2's story is all about Sora and Roxas. If KH3 was the story of Sora and Aqua (lmao) then maybe it would have worked, but randomly sticking in a long ass portion where you play as Aqua at the beginning would have felt horrible. With Roxas, you're probably mystified and a little annoyed by having to play as some random new character instead of Sora. You want to see SDG and you want to get them home. But by the end of the tutorial, you're sympathetic to Roxas and there's a bittersweetness to switching to Sora.

If I had to turn on the long awaited KH3 and listen to two and a half hours of Aqua complaining about how much the darkness sucks, I'd only be annoyed, and there would be no 'gotcha' moment, because I already know Aqua's whole situation. 0.2 revealed almost nothing about the situation that we needed to know. I can faintly recall an interview where Nomura said 0.2 was once going to be KH3's prologue, but I'm certain he didn't mean it was cut content, more that it was a scrapped concept entirely that wasn't desired for KH3.

As far as KH3's proper prologue goes, I go back and forth on it. They could have either given us a playable Xehanort prologue or a playable Kairi prologue. An argument can be made that the game is centered around Sora and either one of those two characters. Both characters would have benefited greatly from this idea, but I think ultimately they went with the third, best option. Trying something new and throwing us straight into the action. KH3's stealth narrative is that no matter how bad things get, Donald and Goofy will choose to go with Sora and keep him safe, even over their king. All the better to get right into the action and refamiliarize the audience with the bond they share as fast as possible.

Last edited:

2 quid is good

Reaction score
Awards
I just don't think it's very numberish of Kingdom Hearts 3 to not have a sprawling OC centered prologue but I am a mere fan criticising a game so what do I know

Vulpes XIII

Reaction score
Awards
I’m fine with how the prologue played out I wasn’t the biggest fan of it but I didn’t dislike it either.

I wouldn’t of wanted a Young Xehanort prologue, if we ever do get an chance to play as him outside of the mobile game I wouldn’t want it to be included as a small segment in another game, I would want it to be it’s own game after all he’s the main villain of the Dark Seeker Saga, also I don’t count Dark Road as getting an chance to play as him.

Although 0.2 was meant to be the prologue before it turned into it’s own demo game, I’m glad it wasn’t the prologue as when I think about how 0.2 felt when playing it compared to how Olympus felt I realised that if you replaced Olympus with 0.2 it just wouldn’t fit well together as it would feel out of place in my opinion which is why I think they made the right call turning it into it’s own game.

shape1
shape2
shape3
shape4
shape5
shape6