• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Official Voice Actor Discussion Thread

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
Re: The Official VA Discussion Thread - Epcar hints?

Actually, I think we've already established that it had nothing to do with that film. So for whatever reason the guys at SE and Disney had, they couldn't bring back Billy Zane to reprise his role after KH1.

So for some ambiguous reason they get rid of the perfect voice and disrupt the continuity with a man who they purposefully gave nothing to go on for reference?

That's just terrible directing.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

So for some ambiguous reason they get rid of the perfect voice and disrupt the continuity with a man who they purposefully gave nothing to go on for reference?

Not like that's new :\

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

It's not even that big of an issue. It's been almost ten years since he even voiced his character.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com

Not like that's new :\

Well, apparantly it's new(s) to me. I'd rather not be so flippant about a series I actually enjoy anyways. It's not that I have a problem with the Epcar, I just don't see the vapid logic behind this.

It's not even that big of an issue. It's been almost ten years since he even voiced his character.

Maybe for you. Continuity is an issue for me. I don't enjoy being spoonfed any old bs by Disney.

Amazing

Who will voice judge frollo in Tony Jay's stead?

As we're all clearly aware of Tony Jay (voice actor of Megabyte from Reboot and Judge Frollo from hunchback of Notre dame) has passed away. So for the upcoming KH 3D's who do you think should be the one voice Judge Frollo?

Rexy

Bronze Member
Re: Who will voice judge frollo in Tony Jay's stead?

we don't even know if Frollo will appear so, we do not have to think about it for now

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards

we don't even know if Frollo will appear so, we do not have to think about it for now

It's pretty much a given that the villain of HoND is going to appear. :/

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Yeah, we don't even know if Frollo will be in the game (but he most likely will)

Also this should be discussed in our handy Official VA Thread.

It's pretty much a given that the villain of HoND is going to appear. :/

:( Gaston didn't appear in the Beast's Castle...though that was a one-time thing.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards

Yeah, we don't even know if Frollo will be in the game (but he most likely will)

Also this should be discussed in our handy Official VA Thread.

:( Gaston didn't appear in the Beast's Castle...though that was a one-time thing.

Going on the scenes in HoND, I'd say Frollo should be in there and Sora would be who fights him.

And on Gaston, I always figured it was because they focused on the castle and didn't show the town at all.

Amazing

Oi so who do you guys think will voice Judge Frollo in the HoND world?

Amazing

For whatever reason I see Corey Burton as Frollo. He is forever an old man.

Whenever any actor is missing is always seems like Corey Burton is that guy. >_<

Not that I have any complaints(thinks he's alright in Thundercats 2011). Although, I can't say I think he's all that grey in the role of Diz.

Awards

Yeah, the scene we see with Riku in DDD is the one where Quasi saves Esmeralda from a public execution, and the entire story is driven by Frollo (unlike Gaston in Beauty and the Beast, even though he is an important part), so it would be hard to envision The Hunchback of Notre Dame without Frollo. They'd be severely fucking up the story.

I wouldn't put it past them to cut him out but... it would be idiotic in my opinion. I mean, without him, there is no Hunchback of Notre Dame (who's keeping him in the Bell Tower?), there is no search for Esmeralda (who's burning down Paris to find the blasphemer?)...

So of course assuming he's in the game, no one can replace the golden pipes of Tony Jay. However, I found one voice actor that is pretty damn close to him.

Earl Boen - IMDb

He's the narrator here:

Compare with:

I think it's a pretty good match.

Memory Master

Gold Member
Awards

I bet they'll just get Yen Sid and Ansem the Wise' BBS voice actor, Cory Burton I think his name was, to voice Frollo.

madammina

Notorious White Mage Captainess

Hmm.... he does have a rather deep rasp. The rasp kinda defined it. So while Corey Burton may be good, I'm not sure he can do it.

I'll throw in Rob Paulsen just for fun.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Hmm.... he does have a rather deep rasp. The rasp kinda defined it. So while Corey Burton may be good, I'm not sure he can do it.

I'll throw in Rob Paulsen just for fun.

He would definitely do a good job. :3 Rob Paulsen, that is.

Mirby

Too many games too little time
Awards
Website
twitch.tv

Well, apparantly it's new(s) to me. I'd rather not be so flippant about a series I actually enjoy anyways. It's not that I have a problem with the Epcar, I just don't see the vapid logic behind this.

Maybe for you. Continuity is an issue for me. I don't enjoy being spoonfed any old bs by Disney.

It very well could be that Zane was no longer available for the role, so they had to find someone else. That's a very real issue concerning voice actors; sometimes they aren't available to reprise the role in time for the game to be published (sometimes the original VA has died, or maybe at the time of production and localization they are currently occupied with other things), so the company finds someone else. When a game with full voice acting is published, there's a lot of capital involved. And that capital can't be put at risk solely to wait until the original voice actor is available once more (in the case of a sequel, at least), and it can't be put at risk to delay the game either. They do the next best thing and find someone (usually a person who's already involved, as they can save a bit of money that way, and it's less hassle) who can imitate the voice.

I mean, are you honestly going to also complain about how Lance Bass didn't reprise his role as Sephiroth and that they passed him up for George Newbern, who now voices Sephi in all his voiced incarnations?

Also, you can't even pin this on Disney really, since the character in question is not a Disney character. He's an original character, and as such any complaints regarding him should go straight to Squeenix.

madammina

really? I was just being funny.

This is the Rob Paulsen that I know: (I know this isn't his entire Oeuvre)
Steelbeak:
Carl Wheezer:
The Bard:

I know he was also Pinky, Yakko, and one of the Ninja turtles (I didn't watch any of those so I can't talk about it)

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards

He was seriously Pinky and Yakko? XD Holy shit.

madammina

Yep. (It's his Twitter handle too)

OH! And the Box Ghost and I think Jack Fenton.

(I can't find clips of Jack Fenton)

Back