• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Batman Complex

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ordeith

Great Old One
Awards
Considering this is an idea that has not crossed the subject's mind, this would be too extreme a step for the subject. First level would be something like a realisation-through-experience that the world is in dire need of saving.
The second level would be for the subject to realise that he has the skill and will but not the method to save the world.
The third level would be him understanding that Batman is what he needs to become.
Any subsequent levels would be him coming to terms with or accepting/embracing the mantle.

I'd say that this is a good basic outline--but if we're going to choose the "Bruce's successor" option, I think that one of the upper levels should be used to help imply the connection between Bruce and his successor.

If the latter had some past trauma in his life, similarities need to be drawn between Bruce's trauma and his own, giving the event the same sort of meaning that the death of Bruce's parents had on him. That tragic event will begin forming the idea that the world is in dire need of saving.

If this route is taken, then the levels of similarity need to become increasingly intimate (and abstract) as the dream levels progress, until the crux of the matter is reached: "You and Bruce are practically one in the same; you're the only one who can don his mantle. It's your duty." (And likewise, for Bruce himself--since I'm assuming they'll be sharing this dream.)

Also (unrelated), we ought to do only as much group planning/collaboration as needed, because we could potentially end up scripting the entire roleplay.

Only the necessary facts should be made known to everyone. After that, the Architect, Forger, Analyst (should one be included), Leader/Inceptionist, etc. should work on their own, preserving the interactive spirit of roleplaying.

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
I should point out our subject is Batman's successor rather than Bruce's. He's incarnating into the idea and concept of Batman, not Bruce. And I have the levels more or less planned so feel free to brainstorm to your hearts content. I'm thinking on one level our subject is dreaming of being Batman and his subconscious acts as his rogue's gallery, villains that can attack the team of extractors.

Ordeith

Great Old One
Awards
I should point out our subject is Batman's successor rather than Bruce's. He's incarnating into the idea and concept of Batman, not Bruce.

Hmm, perhaps I phrased that poorly. What I mean to say is that Batman cannot fight crime with such a passion if he doesn't have an abhorrence to it on a personal level. The subject needs some dramatic event or realization that "puts him over the edge", like Bruce.

What I described above wasn't necessarily an attempt to mold him into another Bruce--but to give him the same level of drive that Bruce had, through the same "methods". And what better way to initiate such a drive than by a personal experience, which sparks the fire of higher morality, so to speak?
The Batman said:
I'm thinking on one level our subject is dreaming of being Batman and his subconscious acts as his rogue's gallery, villains that can attack the team of extractors.

Ooh...
The subject needs to create a villain of chief importance, similar to the Joker--an antithesis to Batman.
Or, alternatively, the team's Forger could don this identity, to help nudge the subject along. (Then again, that'd be extremely difficult with all of the subject's projections mercilessly hunting him down.)

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Hmm, perhaps I phrased that poorly. What I mean to say is that Batman cannot fight crime with such a passion if he doesn't have an abhorrence to it on a personal level. The subject needs some dramatic event or realization that "puts him over the edge", like Bruce.

What I described above wasn't necessarily an attempt to mold him into another Bruce--but to give him the same level of drive that Bruce had, through the same "methods". And what better way to initiate such a drive than by a personal experience, which sparks the fire of higher morality, so to speak?

Ooh...
The subject needs to create a villain of chief importance, similar to the Joker--an antithesis to Batman.
Or, alternatively, the team's Forger could don this identity, to help nudge the subject along. (Then again, that'd be extremely difficult with all of the subject's projections mercilessly hunting him down.)

I meant that I want to keep connections between the subject (whose codename is now Terry, guys) and Bruce on a personal level to a minimum or nil but I completely agree with everything you've stated.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
This is all nice and well, but without synchronized kicks, have fun with everyone's brains turning to mush

:3 like cold oatmeal mush

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
I think having Codename: Terry immediately envisage himself as Batman seems a bit forceful for a first level. Something related - such as 'Terry' learning of Batman's (imminent) demise and trying to conceive of what the world would be like, which would go on to become the dream world of the first level. Such an environment - or at least the projections/phenomena within - could be constructed or drawn from Batman's very mind.

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Oh no, first level has nothing to do with being Batman. First level is his tragedy. Whether it's using it to make him feel guilty or responsible or opposites like I could prevent this from happening to someone else.

Relix

A traveler
Awards
Hey I was looking through this and I absolutely adore the psychology of Batman (I saw this documentary titled "Batman Unmasked" on the History Channel before the Dark Knight's release that went into extreme detail about Batman/Bruce's psyche and it was extremely interesting. Nearly led me to major in psychology but things don't always turn out the way you plan them). Anyways, I'm also a fan of Inception and the whole concept of dreams and what not. I don't know if I'll be exactly 'good' enough to contribute in the RPing itself but I think I can probably give my two cents...

Ooh...

I read this part from Ordeith's post and I thought the Forger could still take on the 'Bat Successor's' personal villain while still being hunted by the subject's projections by having the subject's projections be the 'police force' or Gotham Police. There could be a hierarchy of authority (Similar to the Matrix universe where there was the basic security guards, to police officers, to swat team members, to government agents). Again this is the subject's projections antagonizing the Forger and the rest of the Inception Team. Just something I thought about is all.

This part is not to be taken too seriously as it's really stripping the freedom of the RP: And as the dream levels get deeper and more abstract, and the successor's own psyche is being broken down and getting 'closer to the cowl', the subject's own projections can turn on the subject perhaps because of the sudden 'change' in the subject...if that makes any sense.

Anyway, I'm really interested in this. Very interested. If or rather when this gets off the floor I'll be following it as though it were canon.

Hidden

A boy named Crow
Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
First off, I am in favor of the original premise of the roleplay--The Bat is dead; Long live the Bat. A universe where Bruce Wayne is dead has the greater freedom and the more immediate danger to me. It would force us to place our hopes solely on the creation of the Batman's successor, and to start from square one in molding it. I'm open to any other ideas put out there, but this is the most appealing option to me.

Secondly, I am going to be unavailable to post in the next four days or so. If we open up a Sign-up thread, I would appreciate the opportunity to put in a template for the leader of our inception team. I don't want to reserve the position, but just so long as it isn't decided and closed before I'm back.

Also (unrelated), we ought to do only as much group planning/collaboration as needed, because we could potentially end up scripting the entire roleplay.

Only the necessary facts should be made known to everyone. After that, the Architect, Forger, Analyst (should one be included), Leader/Inceptionist, etc. should work on their own, preserving the interactive spirit of roleplaying.
I agree with this; I would even suggest limiting the brainstorming we have already done and pushing the roleplay forward. So long as The Batman (Sunny) and a few others have a general idea of where we're going, many of the specifics might be worked out to better effect within the context of the roleplay.

the subject (whose codename is now Terry, guys)
Ahahahaha! I don't feel so old now.

This part is not to be taken too seriously as it's really stripping the freedom of the RP: And as the dream levels get deeper and more abstract, and the successor's own psyche is being broken down and getting 'closer to the cowl', the subject's own projections can turn on the subject perhaps because of the sudden 'change' in the subject...if that makes any sense.
I really like this idea, actually, though I might even take it the other way--a large part of becoming the hero (at least according to writers like Joseph Campbell) is incorporating those aspects of the psyche that had previously been dormant or repressed. It could be the Batman takes greater possession of his dreams as he comes, as you say, 'closer to the cowl.' That's interesting.

Prophet

come and go
Website
www.facebook.com
Alright. I'd say it's time then to open a sign up thread and allow people to start making templates. That way, we can see what sorts of stuff people are posting and allow that to further shape how we're going to tell this tale. One more question. Are we going to start by investigating possible batmans? Or shall we jump right into the dream? Depending on how we do it, someone might have to actually play our subject.

King Naruto

Retired (for now)
Awards
Creating bonds to save our world and bring peace
An rp based around Inception and Batman. Delving into the dreams of Bruce Wayne and breaking down his psyche to bring out The Bat. A very interesting idea and something I've never seen before after all my years. I'm definantly in for this. I have no ideas to voice at the moment but, I like what i'm reading. Beautiful ideas my friends.

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Why is it that only Hidden seemed to get that reference?

Though I'll have to slightly decline your request, not because of any incapabilities you might have (oh, what a paradox) but for the sake of moving the plot in what I have in mind whilst still retaining freedom. But point-man is up for grabs.

And for anyone who has never RPed before expressing interest, I humbly thank you and invite you to give it a shot.

But thanks for all the attention guys, I don't carry out my ideas often due to assumptions of failure but I'm definitely doing this for you. So expect the sign ups and ooc thread up within the week.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
Why is it that only Hidden seemed to get that reference?

Though I'll have to slightly decline your request, not because of any incapabilities you might have (oh, what a paradox) but for the sake of moving the plot in what I have in mind whilst still retaining freedom. But point-man is up for grabs.

And for anyone who has never RPed before expressing interest, I humbly thank you and invite you to give it a shot.

But thanks for all the attention guys, I don't carry out my ideas often due to assumptions of failure but I'm definitely doing this for you. So expect the sign ups and ooc thread up within the week.

Assume failure and I'll assume you're not who you say you are

Mister Wayne :mad:

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
In celebration for this RP, I thought it'd be good to post this second theatrical trailer. Cheers, guys.

Relix

A traveler
Awards
I thought that was magnificent.

EDIT: and here's the link to that Psychology of the Dark Knight: Batman Unmasked Documentary I mentioned earlier. It's really interesting and idk, I thought someone would like to use at least some of its content. They have input from writers, psychologists, and even actors from the movies. PLUS they also analyze a great deal of Batman's iconic villains.

A quote from the documentary just to show a glimpse of some of the topics they talk about:
"Batman says philosophically 'We can acknowledge an imperfect world, we can acknowledge we have to step outside of social norms, but that doesn't make the social norms meaningless.' But Joker says, 'The presence of random injustice means that there is no justice. The fact that innocence can be destroyed means there is no innocence. So your life is a joke.' Now when someone says your life is a joke, that's a challenge...and Batman just can't let that go...Ultimately its philosophical challenge." that's just one topic they discuss.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back