• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► Stuttering

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Destiny's End

The Best in the World at What I Do
I got a problem with the way I talk. Stuttering/speech impediment, whatever. It's really beginning to affect my life. I can't get up and talk in front of people, and when I have to for class, my hands and legs are shaking and I get so nervous that I'm going to mess up, and stumble over my words causing some laughs. I don't know why I have this problem. I can read just fine, it's the the stuttering that causes me not to want to talk in front of crowds of people, and now my friends make fun of me for it, and do it every chance they get. I know they don't mean it, but it hurts close to home, and I can't control why I talk that way. It also enbales me to talk to girls that I like and that is a HUGE problem. Some girls may find it cute, but who knows with today's generation. I can't have that happen when I'm on a date, or trying to ask out a girl. This ties into that depression thread I started a while back.

Any ideas?

Ip Man

IIIIZAAAAAYAAAAA
Well, all I know is that there are types of therapies that can help you reduce the stuttering. Dont know what they're called though, maybe something worth discussing with your doctor? What I do know is you train your breathing, articulation, and such to help you. Very affective, my friend had a bad case of stuttering. He recieved therapy, and while the stuttering is not 100% gone, he can speak much better now.

They are also medications, like antidepressants and such that help you relax, but actual therapy gives you better results.

Helion

Website
thefaintsmile.deviantart.com
I used(well still, kind of)to have the same problem the way you do. No matter how hard I tried to do speeches or talk to people, I failed. I didn't want to give eye contact because I was nervous. This was in mostly middle school and probably early high school for me. Everything changed for me my junior year. I have no clue why but whenever I had to do a speech for school, I would get an A+ on every speech I did. Once in a while if I'm doing a speech or talking to someone, I have trouble talking. I just can't always form sentences correctly or get my point across to someone because I don't know how to describe it.

My advice: get a job(if you don't already have one), like at a store, fast-food restaurant, etc.; anywhere you are socializing non-stop. I hate working but my speech skills have greatly improved then where I was at, say, 4 years ago. Of course, there is always the translation problem. About 75% of my customers who make purchases at Sears speak only Spanish. And sadly, it's usually the parents who speak no English and you have little kids translating for them. It's pathetic actually.

Medicated drugs won't help solve your problem. They won't solve anything actually. They might help you focus on your problem, but that's it. You have to be willing to get up and trying conversing with people, even if it's only starting out by saying "hi, how was your day?" or "did you find everything alright ma'am?" or "can I help you?" If you're wanting to get better at your speech skills(and earn some money:thumbsup:)) go and try to get a job in services or retail. It will be difficult. I just happened to get unlucky and finally after filling out 45+ applications, two places hired me and I got *both* those jobs.

I still have that problem with talking in large crowds(which is why I will never be a good public speaker). But if you practice enough, it's not a big deal.

Eikre

W.S.N.B.M./O.N.B.P.
Senior Leader's Course, Cold Lake Air Base, Albert
Slow down. I remember having this 'cuz I talked at 900 miles an hour. (Not really an exaggeration =\) Once I slowed down, (Relatively, given.) I found that I was stuttering less, and speaking clearer overall. It was quite interesting. Speech Therapy can help if that doesn't, but good luck on it anyways!

ViVi94

Trying to escape the land of idiots and retards
Well, are you shy? I had the same problems and had to go to damn therapy on thursdays before lunch in 3rd grade. (Which happened to be when we played games) And you said you shake and stuff, that could be half of the problem, when your nervous you tend to not think straight, so you wouldn't talk straight, see?

Raiton Kensei

Peace through Violence
Awards
I sometimes stutter when I'm telling a lie, and to stop stuttering I just stop telling lies, sometimes. Maybe you could try not to be so scared to talk in front of crowds, just imagine that you are in the room talking to yourself. But dont get too wierd with it. lol

Wielder Of Hope

I got a problem with the way I talk. Stuttering/speech impediment, whatever. It's really beginning to affect my life. I can't get up and talk in front of people, and when I have to for class, my hands and legs are shaking and I get so nervous that I'm going to mess up, and stumble over my words causing some laughs. I don't know why I have this problem. I can read just fine, it's the the stuttering that causes me not to want to talk in front of crowds of people, and now my friends make fun of me for it, and do it every chance they get. I know they don't mean it, but it hurts close to home, and I can't control why I talk that way. It also enbales me to talk to girls that I like and that is a HUGE problem. Some girls may find it cute, but who knows with today's generation. I can't have that happen when I'm on a date, or trying to ask out a girl. This ties into that depression thread I started a while back.

Any ideas?

That is so sad. I feel sorry for you. I really do.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back