• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Fanfiction ► Someday (KH:TFF)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

snowdog

is a girl
Awards
n. 1. a place of settlement, activity, or residenc
Hi there.

For all those who didn't read my fanfic, Kingdom Hearts: The Final Frontier, don't worry. It should be fairly easy to figure out what's going on, the storyline to it isn't mentioned much here. Basically, it's a one-shot epilogue type thing. Bleh.

For all those who did read KH:TFF, then you should know it all. ^-^ You know who you are.

~ Someday ~

The icy rain mercilessly pelted the shivering windowpanes as another long day drew to a close. The very thought of coming home to relax after another dull day at work was an appealing thought, yet he still somehow dreaded it. Slamming the car door shut with a single arm, he hurried towards the front door. Raising a weak smile as he examined his keys, he then threw the welcoming front door open, as if casting aside its warm welcome in frustration.

Sighing grumpily as he carelessly threw his keys to one side, he removed his droplet-dotted coat, hanging it up on a small hook by the door. The cold, hollow hallway was not much warmer than being outside in the bitter cold and unforgiving blasts of wind. Running his hands through his wet hair, he took slow, heavy steps across the wooden floorboards in cumbersome leather shoes. Loosening the top button of his suffocating white shirt, he peered through each open door as he tiredly trudged through the dark house, leaving dribbled trails of water as he went. It seemed clear to him by now that she was not home. Again. Groaning as he offhandedly kicked off his shoes, letting them clatter as they fell into the shadowed corner, he traipsed into the living room. Not bothering to switch on any lights, he fell back into a soft armchair, closing his eyes as he tried to relax.

He longed to quiet his job in the city. Working in an office just wasn’t for him, it seemed. Sitting still in front of a computer in a cramped, isolated office for eight hours a day was not his idea of a stimulating job. But, when he thought about it, not much of his life excited him any more.

Although, at the same time, it was not as though she was too boring for him. After all, he loved his wife dearly, but her simple contentment with this dull reality seemed the exact opposite to the way he felt inside. He did not feel confident in talking to her about his feelings, fearing she might take them to heart, misunderstanding just what he meant.

Longing to break free, he despised the dreary day-to-day routine, ached to rediscover something worthwhile. Something… more. His oldest friend felt the same way once, desperate to escape from his average life, hoping to one day escape from the insignificant existence he felt somewhat doomed to. But now, with a girlfriend, and his first baby on the way, he seemed perfectly happy to retire to this life with them. A life that he would once have considered average.

Lying back in the armchair, sinking into the cushions, he dwelled in his mind. He could not stand his now meaningless existence much longer. Knowing something else was out there made his daily routine seem even worse. The pitter-patter of raindrops on glass had begun to cease, and the dark puffs of cloud had parted, giving way to the milky white moonlight. The watery light shone through the speckled pane of glass, casting a strange, almost abstract pattern on the wooden floor. The light almost seemed to flood the room, letting his azure eyes wander the space around him. It was not as though he lived a tough life. His job, boring and unfulfilling as it was, was enough to pay for a good house, enough for he and his wife to live a comfortable lifestyle together. They may not have been rich, but they were not poor either. The room was modern, with plain, white walls, and light wooden floors. The chairs were large and inviting, and various other items were dotted generously around the room. But as he examined the surroundings in detail, something caught his eye.

Heaving himself from the cosy chair, he slowly stepped towards the wooden shelf above the fireplace. Reaching up with a single, thin arm, he carefully pulled it down, before cradling it gently in both huge hands.

A photograph, in a glass frame. Looking at this picture, he could not help smiling. The memory was as clear as the picture before him. It was of Riku, Kairi, and himself, about seven years ago. On that island. They had not changed at all. Riku still had the same sharp, handsome face, and immaculate, long, silver hair. Kairi still had the same alluring blue eyes, and cute, girlish looks. Yet… he barely recognised himself. His deep, crystal blue eyes remained the same, but they lacked the energetic spark they once had. He still had the same chestnut hair, but it was no longer wild and spiky. It was the same length, but had to be tamed into a hairstyle his boss deemed suitable for his workplace. Completely gone was his genuine, beaming smile, it had been replaced with a dull, blank expression, unfamiliar to all those who knew him. Sighing as he eyed the beautiful background, he began to get an idea.

Placing the photograph lovingly with pride of place in the centre of the shelf, he turned to leave the room. He picked up his shoes on the way out, not closing the living room door as he went. He did not leave a note for her, simply continued readying himself to leave. He eyed his wet coat hanging up on the wall, debating whether to bring it or not. He decided not, and proceeded to fumble around on the floor for his keys. Finding them after noticing them glinting in the moonlight, he lovingly held them in his spread hand for a moment, examining them with bright, sincere eyes. Although simple keys to others, they meant a whole lot more to him. They reminded him of the time he felt the excitement he now yearned to rediscover, the time when all his wildest dreams had come true, the time when his life was an adventure, each new day bringing new places and faces into his ever-changing, evolving existence. Gripping the keys tightly in his hand, refusing to let his dreams go, he walked through the moonlight and got into his black car.

The roads were deserted now, he had been home for much longer than he’d thought. The heavy rain had stopped a few hours ago, but large, deep puddles lay on the black tarmac roads, violently spraying up as the car tore through them. Without the radio on, the background noise was the continuous, whirring drone of the car, occasionally accompanied by splashes of muddy water.

Living on the quiet outskirts of the city, in the shadow of the mountains, the sea was not too far away, but for some strange reason, he had never been back. He’d moved from his hometown four years ago, following Kairi and Riku to the city, where they’d expected a better quality of life, and better opportunities for their future. They had found what they’d been looking for, but he had not. Part of him wanted a quieter life after the strange, almost unbelievable events that first took place when he was just fourteen.

Yet, when he thought about it, sat driving his car, he began to wonder. What if that fateful night had never occurred? What if he’d never been swept away to Traverse Town, left alone and unsure of his best friends’ fate? Any other person would have been happy to live a certain, quiet life, after such a particularly traumatic, and unusual childhood. After all, these strange events had stolen two years of his life. He should have been happy to retire into the safe confines of a peaceful life, after travelling the universe in a desperate search to find his missing best friend. An ordinary person would have most likely happily agreed to accept any chance of a stable life after such unimaginable events, but not him.

The idea of a more meaningful, exciting existence appealed greatly to him. It was not that he wanted to fight again. If anything, that would be the last thing he’d want in this new life. Both Ansem and Mikado had been defeated, never to return, and the Heartless were gone, once and for all. There was no need for battle anymore. The universe was at peace again, thanks to his intervention, and all the worlds were safe. But, just knowing those worlds were out there, just waiting to be explored made him long for adventure. Knowing it was all possible made him want it more, made him even more desperate to leave behind the dreary daily routine.

Little drops of rain spotted the windscreen. The sleeping seaside town was before him. He was home. Driving through the silent streets, remembering once familiar places, his eyes were alight with wonder. He passed the small shops, rows of houses. He passed Riku’s house, passed Kairi’s house, and then his own house. He slowed down a little, to look at it The house had not changed at all. Although, a black cat sat at one window, cleaning itself. It stopped a moment, sensing him, then continued happily. It then stopped again, and disappeared behind the curtains. He sighed, remembering the time when he would have lived there. Reluctantly speeding up again, he headed towards the docks.

Parking his car, he sought out a small rowing boat. The violent air was bitterly cold, and the freezing rain stung his face. The choppy, thrashing waves exploded along the surface of the ocean, almost warning him off, but his mind was made up. He would go to that island, no matter what it took. Sitting in the little wooden boat, bobbing around on the water, he cast off, and began making his way out.

Caught in the torrents of water, the rain stinging his frozen hands, he struggled on against the currents, determined to get to the island. Salty waves washed up over him, reaching up to drag him down into the flaying depths, but he managed to keep control of the little boat. Although he was unfit these days, he still held his immense strength, which was enough to help him reach the island through the howling winds, smattering rain, and brutal waves.

Pulling the beached boat up the sands, he felt a strange sensation as he set foot on the beach for the first time in four years. Despite the cold weather, he pulled off his shoes, wanting to feel the sand between his toes again. Feeling a sudden burst of intense feelings, he angrily hurled his shoes off into the ocean. His socks followed. The feeling of sand was not the feeling he desired. It was cold, wet, and sharp, grinding against his icy, naked feet as he walked. Coming to his senses, he stood open-mouthed as he watched his shows fading into the distance. What was he thinking?

Pacing nervously along the beach, he tried to decipher his emotions, trying to understand just how he was feeling at that moment. The only word he could find to describe it was frustration. Giving a heavy sigh, trying to calm himself down, he turned to look at the island. It looked strange… reminiscently magical in the moonlight. Faded bluish shaped contorted in the darkness, waving gently in the milky light that streamed through swirling clouds overhead. The sound of salty waves crashed down behind him, the spray hitting his bare feet, soaking the back of his sharp suit. It was difficult to make things out in the dark night, but as he slowly walked further up the beach, he could make out the overgrown bushes that hid the entrance to the secret place. Shivering, he decided it might be a good idea to go in. He tried to part the overgrown, untidy leaves with frozen hands. It seemed the islands were uninhabited these days, left to get themselves into a terrible, unkempt state. Ripping at spiked weeds and stinging nettles, he hacked at the bushes, trying to make his way through. Managing to crawl through the small path he’d created, he struggled through on his hands and knees, ruining his suit as he went. It wore away against the stone walls, stained by his now bloody, muddy knees. He was far too big for the small tunnel now, and the solid rock scraped away at his fragile skin. The pain did not stop him. He tumbled into the small hollow, landing in a heap.

Lying back on the cold, stone floor, he felt himself being drawn into the memories etched into the walls, warm memories immortalised forever in this, the secret place. Shuffling to sit up, he eyed the white drawings on grey walls, lit up by scattered shafts of milky light. So many days he’d long forgotten, coaxed out of his mind by these gentle reminders. Oh, how he’d loved those days. How could he ever have forgotten them? He lovingly reached out to them with stiff, bleeding fingers, unintentionally trailing blood across stone. Jerking his hand away, he rubbed his fingers on his suit, cleaning them off. Simply eyeing the little pictures instead, he remembered those blissfully innocent days, how he, Kairi, and little Riku had spent all their time on the island. Destiny island was a special, magical place to them, filled with miraculous wonders and days of what they’d thought to be exciting adventure. Until, of course, little Riku had brought up the subject of finding real adventure. Little did he know, one day he’d get this wish, and then regret he’d ever wanted such a thing. He, too, regretted this wish, but… some of it still felt alluring.

Not losing his friends, of course. He’d want them to go with him, wherever they wanted to go. Nor was it having to search the universe to find them. Or doing battle with evil foes: Ansem, the New Generation, and Mikado.

That name made him shudder these days. Mikado. The painful shout still lingered in the back of his mind, echoing ominously, accompanied by the vision of himself driving the Keyblade into his chest. True, he was only a Heartless, but his death had a strange effect on him. Although overjoyed that it meant he’d be on his way home, and Riku and Kairi were safe, he still couldn’t help feeling… sad. This was perfectly understandable, considering what he’d just done, but that wasn’t what triggered his sorrowful emotion. It was the thought of leaving Donald, Goofy, King Mickey and Taiko behind, signalling the end of his adventures. Leaning back against the stone walls, he closed his eyes.

Two orange eyes stared back, along with a cocky, superior smirk on a pointed, youthful face. This clear memory seemed to haunt him. It had done since the moment the ravine fell silent, but it bothered him even more these days. The image of Mikado lying on the floor, and the members standing shocked in the shadows seemed to appear when he closed his eyes. Opening his eyes again, he removed his jacket, casting it to one side. It was a little warmer here than outside. Loosening his restricting tie and unbuttoning his white shirt, he sighed heavily as he cast his eyes down to his chest. The bluish mark still scarred him, reminding him of the events of that day. He’d hoped this scar, Mikado’s painful impression, would fade over time, but unfortunately, it was as clear today as it was back then. The only bittersweet comfort was that it did not cause him great physical agony any longer. Sadly, its greatest effect was through mental agony.

Trying to block the thought of this horrible death, he quickly buttoned his shirt back up, tried to focus on the members. Meiji. Jinn. Kali. Ryu. All there, standing sheepishly in the dark depths of his thoughts.

“I wonder what happened to them,” he pondered, rolling up the sleeves of his once crisp, clean shirt. It was now muddy, wet, and bloodstained. Feeling fatalistic and sorrowful, he breathed a leaden sigh. “Although I doubt I’ll ever know when I’m stuck here.”

He fingered the cold ground for a pointed stone, found one quickly. Discovering a blank patch of stone wall, he shuffled over and began to scratch into it. Etching this almost seemed like a release, a way for him to vent his frustration at it all. His thoughts were muddled, and his mind was clouded, but this seemed like a good way to express his feelings.

Wiping droplets of water from his furrowed brow, he leaned back, on tired arms, to get a better view, giving another remorseful sigh. The pastel sun was breaking through the dark night sky, replacing silver moonlight with golden beams, flooding the cave. A single shaft lit the sketchy image.

A Gummi Ship, burning its way through the celestial night sky, over a calm, still ocean. Flying towards a sandy beach complete with a friendly, waving palm tree. Last of all, three figures, stood holding hands, also waving up to the approaching ship.

Sora reached out to it, gently caressing it with soft, loving fingers.

“Someday.”

Hope you like it. And don't just L&L, people. Comments and criticism would be great!

IchigoNeko

Hi snowdog!

It's a good one-shot, but kinda sad...So, is his 'wife' Kairi? Becuase you mentioned that he went by Kairi's house...

snowdog

is a girl
Awards
Hi everyone!

Thanks for the comments, .:Mega:.! I'm busy writing another fic, too. It was supposed to be a one-shot too, but it's turning itself into a story.

Thanks, sh im playin kh2, it means a lot to me that you said that ^-^ You're sweet.

IchigoNeko, I'll let you decide ^-^ It is sad, isn't it? Lol. Anyway, I wanted this to be very open, and a little messy. Just to get the feelings of Sora's state of mind right. If that makes sense.

<3 <3

IchigoNeko

Uh, okay then...

Doesn't this destroy the possibility of a sequel, though? Unless it's between KH:TFF and this fic...

Squall18

Brilliant!
It's cool to see what Sora's life is like now, it was good to see where the characters lives have ended up.
I really liked it and I'll say it again, brilliant.
Yu're definately a better writer than I am.:)

Inner-Demon

The Old Master
Website
www.youtube.com
Fantastic piece snow. Although this is the only thing I've read of yours, it's quite easy to follow. The emotion given from Sora is done exceptionally well. It seems so very depressing, to give up such a life and be left without much meaning. You can tell he's trying hard to regain that meaning in other forms, but it just isn't there.

The ending is left open enough for a continuation, but you captured the emotion so vividly in this shot. Sora clearly wants to break away, even after setting down and fixing the problems of the universe, but he just can't.

By stories end I really felt for the guy, and I must give you points for describing everything so well. You weren't pushy or overdone with it, everything felt so balanced.

I also loved the shedding of Sora's suit as he got deeper into the Secret Place, losing the exterior of the adult and the dull life he was given, to now return to the place where it all began and be left bare, if you will.

Although it may not have been intentional, the metaphorical representation of the scene truly captures the essence of Sora and what the Secret Place was to him.

Again, I could not really praise this enough. Job well done.

snowdog

is a girl
Awards
I-D, you got the metaphorical nail on the head. That 'suit shedding' thing was exactly what I was aiming for, along with the dreamy, messed up series of events. I didn't say anything about it in the post in case it made things too obvious.

Thanks for all those comments, it's great CC. I'll let you know when I post my next fic. ^-^

I

The Show Must Go On
wow, this is really good. i think i would really like to read the fic that this epilogues, cause it sounds good

snowdog

is a girl
Awards
It's all done, AxelOwns. It's somewhere on this site... all seventy-something chapters, lol. And thanks for your comments ^-^

By the way, I like your fic too. I haven't left a comment cause I'm not a member. Haven't read them all yet, but it's good so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back