• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

So you ask why people hate Kairi. Well, why do people like Kairi?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chakolat Strawberry

caramel delight
Awards
No, I didn't make this just because of the previous "Why do people hate Kairi?" thread, but because there's multiple threads on this topic. Why I hate Kairi? Well, Smile's essay and the Kairi HC sums it up. Same might go with the majority of the Kairi haters on KHI.

Question to Kairi fans (or I guess everyone) : Why do you/people like Kairi? I'll be honest, there might be a couple legit reasons why Kairi is likeable, but really, I think the majority of the people agreed that Kairi's a pretty flawed character.

So WHYYYYYYYYYYY? (And don't say go to the Kairi FC, I don't really see anything that would convince me)
And if this starts to spam up, I'll close this.

Smile, you better get your ass over here.

A

Audo

Audo said:
I like the cutscene where Kairi holds Mickey back from running toward Ansem's exploding machine.
It made me like her more in a weird way.

Lycanthrope

Gold Member
Awards
Audo brings up a solid reason, but even after that I still despised her, pretty much for the same reasons the OP, who is awesome, brings up

Am I cool putting this in a quote?

Last edited:

Theart

Hyped Ruler of Honnouji Academy
Awards
Question to Kairi fans (or I guess everyone) : Why do you/people like Kairi? I'll be honest, there might be a couple legit reasons why Kairi is likeable, but really, I think the majority of the people agreed that Kairi's a pretty flawed character.

I won't deny she's a flawed character, hell I won't deny that. But I blame that on the person who screwed it up IMO: Nojima. He had a great script with FF7, but I think he should just leave KH to Watanabe. The reasons as to why I wouldn't like Kairi, although I do think she's a decent character, are KH2 related. And I don't get mad at the cast in that game, other wise, I'd hate the whole lot. Even Sora, who was my childhood hero.

So personally, I base my opinions on KH1 and CoM. And THAT is why I HATE KH1 RIKU!!!! (Although he was epically awesome in CoM though) Kairi, I felt was likable in KH1. I know people think she's a bitch then too, especially towards Riku, but in her defense, I can't blame her: KH1 Riku was a horrible character. I absolutely hated him. He was a sleaze-ball, and betrayed his best buddy. And I didn't like him at Destiny Islands, either. He was a pain then too. I hated that character. So I felt Kairi was the only smart person out of the three in the beginning, at Destiny Islands.

And the moments where Sora had illusions of her throughout KH1 made her a cool character to me. There was a sense of mystic and mystery behind her, and I liked that. And after Hollow Bastion, and I knew more about the character, I felt she had become one of my favorite characters.

And then KH2 came along and royally fucked everyone over.

That's my opinion on the topic.

Chakolat Strawberry

caramel delight
Awards
Strawberry said:
I'm just wondering why people like Kairi, with all the why do people hate her threads. It's really about time someone make a thread on why people like her.
I don't make much a big deal with hating a video game character.

EDIT:
I won't deny she's a flawed character, hell I won't deny that. But I blame that on the person who screwed it up IMO: Nojima. He had a great script with FF7, but I think he should just leave KH to Watanabe. The reasons as to why I wouldn't like Kairi, although I do think she's a decent character, are KH2 related. And I don't get mad at the cast in that game, other wise, I'd hate the whole lot. Even Sora, who was my childhood hero.
Meh, I did like Kairi a little bit in KH1, I'll admit that. Heck, I even thought she was pretty in KH1.
I do agree Nojima fucked up Kairi big time, but Kairi was still a bitch in KH1, when Watanabe is writing.
Sora, let's take the raft and go! Just the two of us
See, at least use that joke when Riku is around. Whereas she used
Sora's totally helpless without us
(gee look who's talking) when Sora was around.
I do agree that KH should be left with Watanabe. Yes, he didn't make Kairi a great character, but he did a better job than Nojima. If it wasn't for Nojima's writing, I would probably like Kairi. Then again, Nojima's been dropping. Man wrote gold(FF7) but he didn't just fuck up KH2. There's also FFXII.
It would be much better if the same person wrote KH, to keep it consistent. Nojima does play a part, but it's not entirely him.
So personally, I base my opinions on KH1 and CoM. And THAT is why I HATE KH1 RIKU!!!!
Meh. Kairi only has like, two lines in CoM >_>.
(Although he was epically awesome in CoM though) Kairi, I felt was likable in KH1. I know people think she's a bitch then too, especially towards Riku, but in her defense, I can't blame her: KH1 Riku was a horrible character. I absolutely hated him. He was a sleaze-ball, and betrayed his best buddy. And I didn't like him at Destiny Islands, either. He was a pain then too. I hated that character. So I felt Kairi was the only smart person out of the three in the beginning, at Destiny Islands.
Although he was an ass, Kairi still "cared about him". Really, Riku wasn't being an ass until the islands were taken over by Heartless. And Kairi was pretty much asleep the entire game, she wouldn't really know how much an ass Riku was being.
Riku can take care of himself
And yet she still says that.
And the moments where Sora had illusions of her throughout KH1 made her a cool character to me. There was a sense of mystic and mystery behind her, and I liked that. And after Hollow Bastion, and I knew more about the character, I felt she had become one of my favorite characters.
For me, that was sort of foreshadowing that she wasn't actually "dead", which I liked, but it didn't really describe Kairi as mysterious to me.
I admit, I did like the scene with Kairi and Sora in the secret waterway.
And then KH2 came along and royally fucked everyone over.

That's my opinion on the topic.
Hm.

<3

Call me Love, love.
I guess the only reason why I would like Kairi is because of the whole unknown past thing. For some reason, that has always appealed to me =S

Deep-Wonder

It's really unimportant. I don't enjoy discussing it anymore. But to add something relevant, I wouldn't call myself a Kairi hater or fan. She's been treated poorly by the writers (mainly KH2). Honestly the reasons for liking and disliking her are not very complicated and certainly don't merit an essay.

She's been developed simplisticly (and some make the dreadful mistake of actually reading into her actions as if it was meant to say something about her.), if at all, but I really don't see any point in devoting yourself to hating her as much as some people seem to. I just hope that KH3, or any future titles, will have better character development, dialogue... everything.

Theart

Awards
It's really unimportant. I don't enjoy discussing it anymore. But to add something relevant, I wouldn't call myself a Kairi hater or fan. She's been treated poorly by the writers (mainly KH2). Honestly the reasons for liking and disliking her are not very complicated and certainly don't merit an essay.

She's been developed simplisticly (and some make the dreadful mistake of actually reading into her actions as if it was meant to say something about her.), if at all, but I really don't see any point in devoting yourself to hating her as much as some people seem to. I just hope that KH3, or any future titles, will have better character development, dialogue... everything.

This is an awesome post that I'll give my whole-hearted support.

Although I do feel like she got some development in KH1, if ever so slightly. I do agree that she has been treated poorly by the writers, although I get the feeling that this was solely Nojima, but then again I am biased. LOL

i liked her in kh1. her character actually had depth. but in kh2, she was just something else sora had to save.

Although I do feel like she got some development in KH1, if ever so slightly. I do agree that she has been treated poorly by the writers, although I get the feeling that this was solely Nojima, but then again I am biased. LOL

But she was in a coma-like state for most of KH1... That doesn't leave much room for character development.

Chakolat Strawberry

caramel delight
Awards

At the end, there was development. But I guess Kairi is likable in KH1 because she was pretty much asleep the entire game.
Even if she was awake, I bet all Kairi would be doing is staying in Traverse Town. Even if she wanted to fight, Sora and Riku would think she'd get in the way and make her stay behind. Then you would visit her periodically.

EDIT: oh, IG, you

Theart

Awards
To Informal Gluttony, note I said "if ever so slightly" I agree, she didn't have much screen time to develop, but she did make some development in her short amount of time in the game.

Where as Riku had far more time and it took almost the entire game for him to make some positive development. He just went from bad to worse for most of the game IMO.

A

Audo

The only reason I wrote my post with a quote box was because i had said that exact thing in a different thread, so i was just quoting myself.

Meh, I did like Kairi a little bit in KH1, I'll admit that. Heck, I even thought she was pretty in KH1.
I do agree Nojima fucked up Kairi big time, but Kairi was still a bitch in KH1, when Watanabe is writing.
Well, they were both writing KH1, along with a third person.

It would be much better if the same person wrote KH, to keep it consistent. Nojima does play a part, but it's not entirely him.
Eh. I kind of like that they switch it up sort of. I mean, Nojima messed up with KH2 yes, but i dont think that means we should completely give the reigns to Watanabe.

Days was written by Nomura and Kanemaki and I think (based on what i've seen) adding those two as new scenario writers was a good move.

Perhaps what should happen is that there is more than one scenario writer for the console games. KH1 was good and it had three scenario writers. Maybe KH2 would have been better if it was more than just Nojima working on it.

This of course has little to do with Kairi...

Theart

Awards
I'm not saying it's her inability to fight. Naminé and Olette can't fight and they're pretty likable to me.

I think he was referring to what others in general have said. I've read posts about how people hate Kairi since she couldn't fight.

Theart

Awards
EDIT:

See, at least use that joke when Riku is around. Whereas she used (gee look who's talking) when Sora was around.
I do agree that KH should be left with Watanabe. Yes, he didn't make Kairi a great character, but he did a better job than Nojima. If it wasn't for Nojima's writing, I would probably like Kairi. Then again, Nojima's been dropping. Man wrote gold(FF7) but he didn't just fuck up KH2. There's also FFXII.
Meh. Kairi only has like, two lines in CoM >_>.
Although he was an ass, Kairi still "cared about him". Really, Riku wasn't being an ass until the islands were taken over by Heartless. And Kairi was pretty much asleep the entire game, she wouldn't really know how much an ass Riku was being.
And yet she still says that.
For me, that was sort of foreshadowing that she wasn't actually "dead", which I liked, but it didn't really describe Kairi as mysterious to me.
I admit, I did like the scene with Kairi and Sora in the secret waterway.
Hm.

I included CoM for the WHOLE cast in general. I thought she had one line. But now that you bring it up, yeah she did have two. (Although that was actually Namine in disguise)

I know about FFXII, which is why I stay as far away from that game as possible. LOL

But we get right down to it, its all just different point of views. Some will hate Kairi, some will like her.

I say we all just agree to disagree and have fun and enjoy the games. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back