• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Fanfiction ► Silver Wings

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

redharry123

a wanderer
ok, let me know if ya like it!
~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~

SILVER WINGS

Chapter One: She Said Yes!

Night was when Zanarkand really came alive. Lights shining from every window in every building gave the impression of mid-afternoon no matter how late it truly was. He could hear the shouts of his fans just outside of his home. They were lining the streets like they did before every game in order to talk to him, or get his autograph.

< Time to go and great them. > he thought as he opened the door and stepped into the cool, Zanarkand night air. The sounds of cheering and shouting urged him on and he approached a crowd of his fans. Waving and smiling at the attractive girls to his left, he made a move toward them but was stopped by a small group of children.

"Can you sign this?" asked one, holding a blitzball in his tiny hands.

Although he wanted to talk to the cute girls, he knew he couldn’t turn down this little boy so he nodded. Grabbing the pen the child held in his other outstretched hand, he said, "No prob!" and scribbled his name and number on the ball.

# 4, Shuyin…

"Please!" cried another child.

"Alrighty." Shuyin replied, scribbling his signature on another ball.

"Me, too!" shouted a third.

Shuyin took the ball from the child and laughed, "Take it easy."

Once he was finished with the children, Shuyin sauntered over towards the girls. His piercing blue eyes and blond hair set an amazing contrast to his deeply tanned skin and the girls giggled as he grinned at them.

"Can I have your autograph?" the girl with a pink shirt asked.

Shuyin shot her his most charming of grins, "Of course!"

"Good luck tonight!" the girl in blue said to him.

"Nothing to worry about!" Shuyin replied as he signed the girl’s blitzball. He smiled widely and spun the ball on his finger before giving it back to her. They giggled at the trick and he inwardly congratulated himself.

Maybe he’d have two dates for tonight?

At their expectant gazes, Shuyin decided to seal the deal with a trick he knew girls couldn’t resist. He leaned closer to them and said, "Oh, if I score a goal..." he began, trying to stifle his urge to laugh at his use of the word if, "I'll do this!" he raised his hands high in the air and gave two thumbs up. The girls grinned, “That will mean it was for you, okay?"

The girls giggled again and Shuyin suddenly began to get a little annoyed. How stupid were these girls anyway? He shook away the thought and continued, "What seat?"

"East block, in the front row!" shouted the girl in pink.

"Fifth from the right!" the girl in blue clarified.

Shuyin nodded and made a mental note of their location, "Got it!" He took a step away from the girls and went into the middle of the large crowd that had formed in front of his home, "Well, gotta go! Cheer for me!"

"...two, three!" came a shout from the kids. Shuyin turned and looked at them just as they shouted, "Teach us how to blitz!"

Shuyin hid a scowl. He never did like children. They were annoying little creatures. Incredibly pushy and rude. He shook his head, "Hey, I got a game to play!"

"Then teach us after!" begged one.

He looked at the girls and sighed. If he turned these kids down, he knew that he could throw away his chances of getting laid so he relented, "Maybe tonight...um...well..."

<Shit! I promised Zaon I’d hang with him tonight…>

"I mean...tomorrow." Shuyin said.

"Promise?"

"Promise!"

With his promise having placated the children, Shuyin began the half mile jog to the blitzball stadium. It was a wonderful way to warm up and to get out excess energy so that his mind was focused entirely on the game. As he jogged up the main street, he heard people congratulating him and wishing him good luck. He nodded and smiled at them as he passed by. He didn’t feel like signing autographs anymore. He needed to get his game head on and focus on beating the Duggles from C-South.

The blitzball stadium was where Shuyin had spent many happy hours as a child. His father had taught him to blitz as soon as Shuyin was old enough to walk and he had been playing ever since. It was the one thing in the world that he loved. After the death of his parents four years ago, Shuyin had put all of his energy into becoming the star of the Zanarkand Abes from A-East and he had succeeded. Now 19, he openly admitted to not caring about much else besides the game and where he was going to get his next piece of ass. It was a personality flaw that his best friend, Zaon, didn’t understand.

Shuyin had grown up with Zaon and if there was one person that Shuyin trusted in the world, it was him. Zaon had been there for him after his parents’ death and had watched out for him in the subsequent years. A few years older than Shuyin, Zaon was now almost 22 and ready to settle down with his longtime girlfriend, Yunalesca, providing that he asked her this weekend. That was the plan, but Shuyin had seen Zaon clam up and instead ask Yunalesca if she wanted to go ice fishing in Macalania too many times to hold out much hope.

Shuyin groaned as he saw the entrance to the stadium surrounded by his adoring fans. He loved being the center of attention, but he hated when they would grab onto him like they would likely do as he tried to enter the stadium. He slowed his jog down to a quick walk and started to push his way through the screaming mass, "Make way, make way!" he cried as he gently shoved some people out of the way, "Coming through, sorry!" he cried as he accidentally knocked a woman onto her back. Another woman with a really large bust and equally big hair grabbed his hand. Shuyin backed away in disgust, "Hey, I'm gonna be late!" he hissed at the woman, "Hey, let go of me!" He pulled his hand away roughly and forced his way through the rest of the crowd until the doorway was in sight. He took a deep breath and made a break for the doorway.

He let the door to the locker room slam behind him and he sighed. He hated having to dodge the crowd, but they were the reason he was able to survive in Zanarkand by himself. They paid his bills. That was the only reason he put up with them – except for the opportunity to sleep with a few of his more willing fans.

“It’s about time you showed up, Shu!” cried his teammate, Skirp. Shuyin laughed and dodged a towel snap from him as he made his way to his locker.

“Sorry, but I had to fight them off with a stick again.” He replied.

Goalie, Bruttam peeked from around the corner, “Any cuties tonight?”

Shuyin shrugged, “I suppose.”

Skirp pulled on his shorts and poked Shuyin to get his attention, “Coach is out today. We’ve got that damned substitute again.”

“The one that keeps telling us about stuff that’s happened ages ago?” Shuyin asked. At Skirp’s nod, Shuyin moaned. Whenever their coach, Wargna, was out sick they ended up getting his brother as a substitute coach. He didn’t know anything about blitzball and usually spent most of the time boring the players on the bench until they could barely keep their eyes open. The man was abnormally obsessed with history and felt that he should give everyone a history lesson all the time.

Shuyin was just glad that he was rarely on the bench.

“Shh…here he comes.” Hissed Bruttam as he finished dressing and pointed toward the entrance to the locker room. Shuyin followed Bruttam’s point and, sure enough, there was Wargna’s brother. The man was wearing a large green hat and long green robe that made him look like a deranged elf. It also prematurely aged him. Although he was no spring chicken – he was 55 – his choice of clothes made him look almost 90.

“Gentlemen!” came the voice of the elder man, “We have a difficult fight ahead of us. Let us draw upon our knowledge of the difficult fight our land Zanarkand faced during its inception almost 500 years ago when….”

Shuyin rolled his eyes and made a face causing Skirpa and Bruttam to stifle laughter. Pulling on his yellow shirt, Shuyin clipped his necklace around his neck and focused attention back on the “coach” as he finished, “And that, as they say, is that.” He stopped and thought for a moment, “Well, maybe not all of it.” He motioned with a wrinkled hand at the entrance to the blitzball arena, “Well gentlemen, good luck. Let us go and beat those…Duggles!”

Shuyin didn’t need to be told twice and, with a leap and a holler, led his team out to start the game.

Shuyin and his teammates took their places sitting on the sidelines as the Sphere Pool filled with water. He closed his eyes and began picturing victory. It was a technique that his father had taught him while Shuyin was still learning the basics. His father had said that if he sat before a game for just a few moments and visualized victory, then victory would be his. Shuyin had visualized victory before every game and the technique had proved it’s worth every time.

Shuyin had never lost a game.

He also never let people forget that fact. Shuyin called it pride, Zaon called it conceit. Whatever it was, though, Shuyin had lots of it.

At the sounds of the crowd getting louder, Shuyin opened his eyes and stood. His fans cheered louder and louder. His blue eyes surveyed the area. The stadium was packed full of people to see the two best teams in Zanarkand battle it out to see who would be the champions of this year’s blitzball season.

When the ball was completely full of water, the Abes and the Duggles dove in and took their positions. The water was colder than Shuyin liked, but considering that the weather had been abnormally chilly, that was to be expected.

Blitzoff!!

Shuyin swam up and grabbed the ball away from the grasping fingers of his face-off opponent. Diving down quickly to swim under the man’s legs, Shuyin threw a pass to Skirp who swam as quickly as possible to the goal only to be tackled hard and lose the ball.

The Abes cornered their opponent and the young man dove under them and passed the ball to his female teammate on the other side of the sphere pool – right near the Abes goal but the shot was blocked by Bruttam and the ball was back in the hands of the Abes.

Time ticked away during the 5 minute period and when the bell sounded to end the period, the game was a scoreless tie. One more period would determine who would win. 5 minutes. That’s all the time they had.

Blitzoff!!

Shuyin wasn’t fast enough this time, and the Duggles center grabbed the ball and threw it quickly to a teammate.

Shuyin intercepted the pass, and threw the ball toward Skirp while weaving through the other team's players with ease. Shuyin motioned for Skirp to throw the ball back to him but the ball was intercepted and the player made a break towards the Abes’ goal.

Shuyin swam closer and closer to the ball carrier, diving underneath the man and popping up in front of him, obviously startling the player. Ramming hard, the player released his grip on the ball and Shuyin claimed it. He saw Skirp indicate for Shuyin to do his patented Bicycle Kick and he nodded. Shuyin passed the ball to Skirp for the setup and as he saw the ball burst into the atmosphere just above the Sphere Pool, Shuyin burst through the surface of the pool, flying upwards, and turning over in mid air. He focused on the ball as he saw it from his upside down position and kicked hard.

The sound of the buzzer rang out just as Shuyin’s kick forced the ball through the opposition’s goal. The shouts of the fans were muffled by the water, but Shuyin could still tell that they were as thrilled as he that the Abes were once again Blitzball champions.

1-0…

1-0…

Shuyin had one more reason to be proud of himself. If it hadn’t been for the one goal he’d scored against the Duggles in the last quarter, the Blitz season would have ended in a tie. He smiled to himself as he followed Skirp and Bruttam into the locker room. His clothes were soaked and dripping, but he didn’t care. Once again he’d proven why he was the star of the Zanarkand Abes.

“Shuyin, my son.” Came the voice of the “coach”.

Shuyin swallowed the urge to tell the old man that he wasn’t his son and forced a pleasant smile on his face, “Yes, Coach Maechen?”

“Young master Zaon is here. He says he must speak with you immediately.” Maechen paused momentarily as if trying to remember something, “Perhaps you should speak with him.”

Shuyin frowned for a moment before grabbing his keys and bursting from the locker room without stopping to dry off. Zaon never stopped by the stadium to see him unless something had happened.

The last time was when Zaon had stopped by four years ago to tell him that his parents had been killed by fiends outside of Zanarkand…

Shuyin’s mind began frantically trying to figure out what could be wrong.

Was it Yunalesca? Could she be ill?

Maybe it was her father? Yu Yevon hadn’t seemed well the last time Shuyin had been invited to the mansion for supper.

Or maybe the war had started. Bevelle and Zanarkand had been at odds for as long as Shuyin could remember, but recently the animosity had developed into a passionate hate and talk of war was flying all over Zanarkand. Those who wanted the war were adamant about stopping Bevelle tyranny while those who were against it demanded this craziness stop. Bevelle’s machine would surely destroy Zanarkand – and their front line defense, Summoners - along with them.

Yunalesca was a summoner. If the war started, she would be sent to the front lines. Could that be the problem?

Shuyin stepped up the pace and burst into the night air. He caught sight of Zaon standing with his back to him just a few feet away. He ran up to him, “Zaon, what’s wrong?”

Zaon turned to him and Shuyin was surprised to see joy – not sadness – in his best friends’ eyes. Zaon grasped him tightly and pulled Shuyin into a hug that almost choked the life out of the blitzball player, “She said yes!” he shouted so loudly that Shuyin was sure he’d lose the hearing in his right ear. Zaon then let go of Shuyin and gave him a puzzled look, “Why are you so wet?”

“I just got finished playing blitz.”

Zaon laughed, “Sorry, I forgot.”

Shuyin shook his head and smiled. Zaon was never a blitzball aficionado and didn’t care much for the game although he did come to a few just to make Shuyin happy.

Then the realization of what Zaon had just shouted hit Shuyin and he playfully punched his friend, “Wait a second! I thought you were going to ask her this weekend!!”

Zaon grinned and pushed his light blue hair from his eyes, “I had the courage to do it so I went to her house and I asked her. If I had waited, you know she and I would be ice fishing again!”

“But ice fishing is fun!” joked Shuyin as he made a fishing motion with his hands.

“But getting married and spending the rest of my life with the woman I love is more fun.” Replied Zaon with a sincerity that Shuyin almost envied. There were times when he wished to find someone he could love like Zaon loved Yunalesca, but then he thought about having to be faithful and he shrugged the thought off.

He liked having his pick of women too much to settle down.

Zaon grabbed his sleeve and rung out some water, “Go dry yourself off, man! We’ve got to go out and celebrate my engagement!”

“You mean mourn the end of your life as you know it!” Shuyin corrected.

Zaon laughed, “Call it whatever you want,” he replied, “but she said yes!!!”
---------------------------------------------------------------
ok i know, its super super long...almost too long..i'm srry! but i just wanted to get the first chapter out to the public.

J

JenovaDOWNFALL

I was going to start a lenne one!
Oh,by the way its great

redharry123

a wanderer
Chapter Two: First Glimpse

~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~

The beauty that was Lady Yunalesca Yevon sat staring at the large Macalania diamond that now sat on her finger. She couldn’t stop smiling and had to resist the urge to call her father, Yu, at the presidential palace to tell him. It was far too late for that – almost 3 am – and she didn’t want to wake him up. The news would just have to hold until the morning.

After dating Zaon for almost 6 years she was beginning to think that he was never going to propose – instead opting to ask her to go ice fishing at every opportunity. She laughed to herself. He had finally gotten up the nerve and looked almost shocked when she accepted. After shouting happily and kissing her, he’d run out to tell Shuyin who was the only other person in the world Yunalesca knew would still be awake since he’d just played a blitzball game.

The sound of the doorbell caused her smile to fade slightly. She couldn’t imagine who would be at her door so late. Creeping over quietly, Yunalesca glanced out the window and her smile was immediately back on her face. Flinging the door open, she embraced the woman standing there, “Lenne!” she felt the hug returned as she continued, “What in Spira are you doing here this late?”

The embrace ended and Yunalesca suddenly noted a small suitcase next to her friend and a look of sadness in her brown eyes. Lenne sighed deeply, “Can I stay here for a while? I just to evicted from my apartment.”

“Of course!” agreed Yunalesca as she gripped the bag and motioned for Lenne to enter. As the petite brunette sat down, she buried her face in her hands and groaned. Yunalesca sat down next to her and put an arm around her friend, “What happened? I thought you were living the high life in C-South. You’ve been doing concerts left and right, haven’t you?”

Lenne nodded. Being a songstress – and an incredibly popular one throughout Zanarkand – had started out as a wonderful career. Now, though, the 19 year old girl didn’t know what she was going to do. She looked at her friend and sighed, “My manager wasn’t putting my money into accounts like he said he was.” She finally said, “He was spending it all on booze and whores.” Lenne heaved herself off of the sofa and dug in her suitcase for a small piece of paper, “This eviction notice was on the door of my apartment when I got there. I went in and everything was gone except for this suitcase with all of my clothes.” She kicked the bag in anger and her eyes flashed with rage, “The damned apartment complex sold all of my belongings to pay back rent that I didn’t even know that I owed!”

“They didn’t give you any warning?” Yunalesca asked in shock.

Lenne shook her head and let her brown hair fall over her shoulders, “Apparently they were giving my information to Berdent who was supposed to be paying the bills. He never told me and just continued to suck me for all I was worth.” She collapsed on the floor with her legs crossed, “I don’t have any money and no where to live. All of my concerts and appearances have been cancelled because Berdent is no where to be found and nobody wants anything to do with me since I’ve got all this bad publicity now.” She let herself shed a few tears before wiping them violently away as if furious with herself for letting them spill, “What am I supposed to do, Yuna?”

Her friend climbed off of the sofa and knelt in front of her, letting her pale blond hair caress the floor over her shoulders, “You’re going to stay here for a while. You’re going to get a job and you’re going to get back on your feet.” She gave her friend a smile, “Everything is going to be okay, Lennie. I promise.”

Lenne gave Yunalesca a grateful grin and then her eyes suddenly caught something glittering in the light from the lamp. Her eyes focused for the first time on the diamond on her friend’s hand and her eyes searched Yunalesca’s for some clue. At Yunalesca’s smile, Lenne yelped happily, “He finally asked you??!!”

“Just a few hours ago.”

“Where is he?” asked Lenne as she climbed to her feet and straightened her blue shirt, “I want to congratulate him.”

“He’s out with his friend, Shuyin. They’re probably getting drunk to celebrate, although if I know Shuyin they are probably celebrating the Abes win more than Zaon’s engagement.” Said Yunalesca with only a hint of annoyance. Although she thought Shuyin was fun to be around and could be very funny, his self centered personality annoyed her to no end. She didn’t understand why Zaon didn’t smack the conceited little jerk sometimes. She wanted to sometimes, that was for sure.

Lenne pouted, “I know. The Duggles should have won.” She ran a hand through her long brown hair. As a C-South resident – or, former resident as it was – she was a huge fan of the Zanarkand Duggles blitzball team, but every time they played the Abes, they lost. She smiled, “If it hadn’t been for that cocky little blond making the shot at the last minute the Duggles could have at least ended the season with a tie.”

Yunalesca let out a laugh and gripped her stomach as she collapsed on the sofa, “You think he’s cocky too?”

“Of course,” replied Lenne as she sat down next to her giggling friend, “That #4 almost oozes conceit.”

Sobering slightly, Yunalesca said, “Well, #4…he’s…well…he’s Shuyin.” Lenne’s shocked and apologetic look made Yunalesca laugh even harder and she shook her hand in the air as if waving away the guilt that Lenne was feeling, “Don’t worry about it. Shuyin is funny but he is definitely conceited. I don’t know why Zaon hangs out with him.”

“Neither do I.” agreed Lenne, “He always refuses interviews too. I guess that’s why I really dislike him. If he really wanted to be a good star, he’d interview as often as he could so that his fans could get a sense of who he is.”

Yunalesca grinned. Shuyin was never one to pay attention to his fans unless they were willing to put out and she conveyed that to Lenne, “And what’s annoying,” she continued, “is that he’s so handsome he can get away with stuff like that.”

“So why does Zaon hang with him?”

Yunalesca shrugged, “They’ve been friends since they were kids. Zaon has seen him through some tough stuff.” She paused, “Zaon is really the only person that Shuyin has left.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well,” Yunalesca stopped. She wasn’t sure if she should convey Shuyin’s personal history to someone who had never met him, but she knew that Lenne would keep her mouth shut. Lenne wasn’t the type to gossip about other people’s misfortunes. She continued, “Four years ago his parents were killed by fiends while they were taking a stroll towards Mt. Gagazet.”

“That’s horrible.”

“Yeah. He was really close to them but especially his father. His father was the one who taught him how to play blitzball.” She cast her gaze downward, “Zaon is the one that told him about his parents.”

Lenne frowned and a crease crossed her brow as she said, “So his behavior…”

“Yeah,” Yunalesca nodded, “It started after their deaths. I think he’s been acting out since then. That doesn’t excuse it though.”

“Well, conceit isn’t a crime, you know.” Lenne said with a laugh.

Yunalesca nodded, “True, but he’s also a firm believer in the ‘Love ‘em and Leave ‘em’ mentality.” Lenne cocked an eyebrow in confusion and her friend clarified, “He leaves as soon as his paramour is asleep.”

Before Lenne could reply the girls heard voices coming from outside. Rising from their seats and walking to the window, the girls saw Zaon and Shuyin standing outside laughing while two attractive girls hung all over Shuyin – one in pink, one in blue.

Yunalesca quietly opened the window and the two girls listened intently to the conversation.

“You sure you don’t want to come in and see Yuna?” Zaon asked.

Shuyin shook his head, “I’ll see you guys later. She’s probably asleep anyway and I’ve got some important business to attend to.” He winked at the two girls consecutively and then grinned at Zaon, “You understand?”

Zaon let out a laugh, “Of course I understand.”

Shuyin put his arms around both girls. He looked at the girl in pink, “Come on Lonna.” Then the girl in blue, “Lilly.”

The girl in pink frowned a little, “I’m Lilly. She’s Lonna.”

Shuyin nodded, “Of course you are.” He smiled at Zaon as he escorted the women away from the house and in the direction of the hotel district.

Yunalesca gave Lenne a pointed glance and Lenne nodded. Shuyin was worse then she had imagined. Treating women like they didn’t matter infuriated her, although he was really handsome. If Zaon liked him, then hopefully there was some good in him…

Nah.

The door swung open and Zaon stepped into the living room with a grin on his face. He turned to embrace Yunalesca and then stopped when he saw Lenne, “Hey Lennie! What are you doing here?”

Yunalesca waved off the question, “It’s a long story, but she’s going to be staying with me for a while.”

Zaon nodded, “Sounds good. I just stopped in to give you a passionate good night kiss before I wandered next door my little bungalow.” True to his word, Zaon pressed his lips to Yunalesca’s and dipped her back.

Lenne felt a little stirring of jealousy at the sight. She wished to find a love like Yunalesca had but there had been no luck. She’d had a string of unsuccessful relationships with men who only wanted her for two things – her money and her body. Now that she had lost one of the only two things men found attractive about her, she knew that her chances of finding someone had decreased tremendously. She’d just have to learn to live with that.

Zaon grinned at Lenne as he let Yunalesca catch her breath, “Good night, Lennie.” He said, and then glanced at his fiancée, “Good night, my love.”

“Good night, Zaon.”

Zaon pulled open the front door and stepped out onto the porch again before turning and sticking his head back inside, “Start planning that wedding, ladies. I don’t know if I can wait much longer.

Zanarkand slept but its leader did not. Yu Yevon had already been up for hours pouring over his Summoner’s Arts books. He was a short, potbellied man in his late 40s with a receding hairline and small, wire rimmed glasses. He looked more like a library patron then a powerful summoner and leader of the largest machina city in Spira.

Yu had become the leader of Zanarkand due to his status as High Summoner through which he was renowned as a master of his craft. Zanarkand needed a powerful leader and Yu Yevon was most assuredly that.

That morning, Yu was in quite a panic though he managed his best to hide it from those around him. After hearing that the Bevelle army was readying its machina, Yu had begun preparing for the worst. Relations between the two former allies had been tense for years but only recently had whispered talk of war begun to trickle through the leaders of Zanarkand and Bevelle.

If war broke out, Yu knew that Zanarkand was doomed against Bevelle’s machina. The man was determined to save Zanarkand – no matter what the cost.

The clock nearby chimed 7am and Yu Yevon allowed himself a yawn and a stretch. He’d been hunched over his books since 2am without rest. He knew that the answer to saving Zanarkand was in one of his books, but he just hadn’t found that answer yet.

A typical summon wouldn’t do anything against machina. Those weapons would blow holes through Valefor, Ifrit, Shiva, and Bahamut. Perhaps Ixion stood a chance since he was lightening based, but even still that beautiful stallion would eventually fall.

There had to be a summon that could stop Bevelle – maybe even destroy it.

“Sir,” came a tentative voice at the doorway. Yu glanced up at his man servant, Arnile, and nodded. The servant stepped forward, “Your daughter is here, sir. Shall I have her wait in the study?”

Yu shook his head, “No, send her in here.”

Arnile nodded and Yu quietly closed his books while he waited for his daughter to arrive. He couldn’t imagine what she could need so early. Yunalesca usually didn’t awaken until at least 10. He frowned.

Was something wrong with Zaon?

Yu really liked his daughter’s boyfriend, although he felt it was high time for the man to put a ring on her finger. Six years of dating was long enough to decide if you wanted to spend the rest of your life with someone.

Yu was shaken from his reverie when his daughter entered the room with a large smile on her pretty face, “Daddy!” she cried as she leapt forward and hugged him close to her, “I’ve got such wonderful news, Daddy!”

Holding his daughter at arm’s length to see the glitter of excitement in her eyes, Yu couldn’t help but get a little excited too. Whatever it was had put his daughter in an excellent mood. He smiled, “What is it, Yuna?”

Yunalesca held her left hand under her father’s nose and Yu glanced down. The diamond glittered and sparkled under the overhead light and Yu silently assessed the jewelry.

<This must have set Zaon back quite a bit>, he thought.

Yu looked from the diamond to his daughter, “This is so wonderful!” he cried as she hugged him close again.

“What’s even more wonderful is that Lenne is in town.” Yunalesca said. Lenne was Yunalesca’s good friend in school until she moved to C-South to pursue her singing career. The two still kept in touch. Yu listened as his daughter continued, “She’s having some financial trouble so she’s going to be staying with me for a while. She agreed to be my Maid of Honor. Isn’t that great?!”

“I heard about her financial trouble. If she’d like, I can have the guard begin to look for her manager.”

Yunalesca shook her head, “I think Lenne just wants to forget about the whole thing. Besides, the guy is probably halfway to Bevelle by now.”

Yu nodded and he and his daughter sat down. Over the next few hours he listened intently as Yunalesca began describing the wedding she wants. He was surprised that she was willing to concede to Zaon’s dream of having only a small ceremony but had to stifle a laugh when she spoke of inviting the entire town to the reception. Yunalesca loved being the center of attention so much that Yu was surprised when she didn’t join Lenne in becoming a songstress.

“What do you think?” came her question as she finished.

Yu nodded his concession, “I think it sounds like you’ve got everything planned out.”

Grinning, she pushed her blond hair from her eyes, “Zaon and I want to get married as soon as possible. What do you think about next month?”

“Isn’t that a little soon?”

“Do you think so?” Yunalesca pouted, “but you can do it, can’t you Daddy?”

Yu sighed. He hated when she pouted. She looked so much like her late mother and he just couldn’t say no when she begged so he smiled and said, “Pick an exact date and we’ll be ready.”

Yunalesca smiled, “May 5.”

Yu laughed and felt her kiss his cheek as she jumped up announcing that she was going to have to tell Zaon. He stayed in his seat for a few moments after she left, thinking. His only child was getting married. She was getting married right in the midst of a tense relationship so bad that war could begin.

“Sir.” Arnile’s voice came from the doorway.

“Come in, Arnile.” Said Yu as he stood and walked back to his desk.

“Reports from our spies in Bevelle just came through, sir.”

Yu’s attention was immediately granted in full to his servant. He focused his eyes on the man and asked, “What do they say?”

Arnile downcast his glance, “It’s not good sir,” he began, “Our fears have been confirmed.”

“Vegnagun?” asked Yu.

Vegnagun was a giant machina that Bevelle had been secretly construction under their palace for years. According to previous reports, its destructive power was enough to blow Zanarkand off of the face of Spira.

Arnile nodded, “It’s complete, sir.” He paused, as if for dramatic effect, “And operational.”

-------
ok, chapter 2 is up! (fyi, most of the chapters are going to be long...just to let ya know) pleez tell ur friends if you like my fic.!

inferno232

In the happy place of my mind known as La-La Land.
Not bad, Good storyline and plot, I like how you managed to exactly copy the first scene of FFX, and I'm not being sarcastic. Just one thing: WHERE'S THE FIGHTING?
No offense, it's a good story, but its boring without any action. I hope the next one has some battles, but besides that, keep it up! :)

redharry123

a wanderer
Chapter Three: Together Forever

~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~

“Where are they?” shouted Yunalesca as she stomped her foot and turned to Lenne, “They’re late!” The two women were standing in the lobby of an expensive restaurant that they had rented out for the rehearsal dinner. The staff and other wedding party members were anxious to get the rehearsal and dinner started but were forced to wait for the groom and his best man.

Yunalesca was ready to kill them both.

Lenne laughed and tossed her brown hair over her shoulder, “Didn’t Zaon’s friend have some game to play?”

Yunalesca nodded, “True,” she said, “but it’s been over for at least an hour. Plus Zaon promised me that he’d get Shuyin here this time.” She turned and looked out the window with a scowl, “He’s missed every other wedding planning session and now he’s on the verge of missing the rehearsal dinner. He is positively the worst choice Zaon could have made for best man.” The bride smiled as she looked at her friend, “I suppose the only good thing is that you haven’t had to deal with the conceited, self-centered little jerk.”

“Who are you talking about?” Lenne asked with a laugh, “Shuyin or Zaon?”

As if on cue, Zaon burst through the door with an apologetic look in his eyes. Yunalesca put her hands on her hips in a furious sweep and glared at him, “And just where in Spira have you been?” she demanded as she glanced behind him to the empty doorway, “And where is Shuyin!”

“Well,” started Zaon as he shut the door quietly behind him. He guided his fiancée and her Maid of Honor over to a corner and continued, “He’s not coming.”

“HE’S NOT COMING!!!!!” shrieked Yunalesca. Her eyes flashing with rage. Lenne took the initiative to hold her friend back for fear that she would do irreparable harm to her fiancée. After Yunalesca calmed down, she took a deep breath and asked, “Why not?”

Zaon touched her hair gently and flinched slightly as she pulled away. It was obvious that, no matter how well she was hiding it, she was furious at Shuyin and at him for not delivering on his promise. He gave her an apologetic smile, “The game was going into overtime. He ran out sopping wet and told me to go on ahead because he wasn’t sure when he’d be able to leave.”

“You mean to tell me,” Yunalesca hissed in a whisper so vicious that it sent chills up Lenne’s spine, “that a blitzball game is more important than his best friend’s wedding rehearsal?” she threw her arms in the air and her voice got louder, “Well, he has practice tomorrow. Is he even going to get to the wedding?” she glared at Zaon, “I swear a fiend would have been a better choice for best man. At least a fiend would have the decency to show up!”

“Yuna, he swore to me that he’d be here tomorrow. Besides, it’s not that complicated. When the preacher says my name, he gives me your ring. He knows what he’s got to do.”

Yunalesca rolled her eyes, “Oh, he swore to you.” She hissed sarcastically, “Well that makes me feel so much better. We all know how much his promises mean to him. I mean, he promised to be at my party when I became a summoner, but he had practice.”

Zaon shook his head, “Yuna that was 2 years ago…”

His bride continued as if she didn’t hear her fiancée, “And he promised to come to your parents 50th anniversary party last year, but he had a hangover from partying all night with some girl who he doesn’t even remember. And he promised to come by the day after the engagement to meet Lenne, but he had a game.” Yunalesca shook her head. Dissappointment was showing in her eyes now – having replaced the anger. She bit her lip softly and said, “He’s a nice guy, Zaon. He’s a really nice guy, but he’s a lousy friend.”

Lenne opened her mouth to speak but was quieted by Zaon’s sudden show of anger. The blue haired man frowned at his fiancée and spoke in a hushed tone, “He is my best friend. He happens to care a lot about his career which just happens to be blitzball. So damn it all if he doesn’t show up to a few things over the years. The important thing is that he’s there for me when it counts and he will be here tomorrow. You can bet your aeons on that one, m’lady.”

Silence seemed to take over the room. The argument had echoed its way to the guests in the dining room and all conversation stopped. Lenne suddenly felt very uncomfortable and took a few steps back to give her friends some space. From the look on Yunalesca’s face, it was obvious to Lenne that she regretted what she had said to Zaon and vice versa but neither seemed willing to take the first step and apologize. Lenne took a breath and stepped closer to them again, putting a hand on one shoulder of each of them, “You guys need to just kiss and make up. Don’t let what one blitzball player does or doesn’t do cause you guys to argue right before the most important day of your lives.”

Zaon smiled and looked at Yunalesca, “She’s right. I’m sorry.”

“I’m sorry too.”

Lenne smiled and turned to the guests, “Everything is okay now. So, with or without a best man, let’s get this party started!”

-----------------------------

Zaon took a deep breath as he pulled his white jacket onto his broad shoulders and smiled at Shuyin who was standing next to him with a look of sheer terror in his bright blue eyes. Zaon would have laughed had it not been for the knowledge that his eyes probably showed that same look of fear.

"Good luck, Zaon." Shuyin said as he slapped Zaon on the back good naturedly.

Zaon smiled, “Thanks, Shu. And thanks for being my best man. It means a lot to me.”

The two young men looked out at the crowd that had gathered for the marriage of president Yu Yevon’s daughter to the son of a ‘nobody’ who would soon become known as Lord Zaon. Shuyin felt his stomach contract with nervous energy for his friend. The boy he had grown up with was about to become a lord. He was about to take vows and promise himself to one woman forever. Shuyin pushed a shudder away and whispered, “How can you be so calm?!?"

"Believe me, I’m not." Zaon confessed with a little laugh as he and Shuyin walked toward the altar and took their places to begin the ceremony. Although the blitzball player’s hair was still a bit damp from his early morning practice with the team, he had arrived on time and ready just as he had promised. Zaon had wanted to tell Yunalesca, but the women were ‘off limits’ to the groom and his best man until after the ceremony.

It was bad luck to see them before the wedding.

The giant wooden doors slid open and the pianist began to play. Everyone’s attention focused on the back of the room. Zaon let out an unconscious shudder and he felt Shuyin put a hand on his shoulder, “It’s going to be okay.” His friend whispered.

Zaon looked at him and smiled, “You think so?”

“I know so.” Agreed Shuyin, “You and Yuna are meant to be.”

Zaon grinned and whispered, “You haven’t met her Maid of Honor yet. I think you’ll like her.”

“Stop!” hissed Shuyin, “I’m not interested in getting set up!” he smiled and playfully punched Zaon as the a 6 year old girl – the distant relative of someone…Shuyin hadn’t paid attention who – began to walk down the aisle, dropping flowers as she went.

Zaon winked, “You might change your mind when you see who it is.”

Shuyin was about to ask his friend to elaborate when the woman behind the little girl caught his attention. Wearing a dark blue strapless gown that just barely touched the ground, the woman’s hair was hanging long with just a tiny bit pulled up and held in place with a barette that was decorated with flowers.

The woman continued her way down the aisle toward them. She smiled at Zaon and whispered, "Good luck." before turning to stand on the bridal side of the altar.

Shuyin punched Zaon hard in the side and whispered, “Lenne! Lady Lenne is her Maid of Honor?” Shuyin tried to regain control of his breathing. Lady Lenne was a famous summoner and songstress who just happened to be his all time favorite celebrity. Well, she was the favorite celebrity of just about all the Abes who spoke of how much they wished she’d pose nude for some magazine so that they’d have a nice picture for their lockers.

Rubbing his sore side, Zaon winked again, “I knew you’d like her.” At Shuyin’s glare he smiled, “Don’t worry, Lennie has no idea that you are her biggest fan and have all of her spheres.”

The sound of the ‘Wedding March’ playing prevented Shuyin from responding as the entire audience turned to look at Yunalesca. The moment was finally here, and Zaon was visibly nervous.

Yunalesca was wearing a long white dress with tiny diamond spaghetti straps. Her long, pale blond hair had been curled and pulled on top of her head, allowing only a few tresses to frame her face. Her veil lay gently over her head. Zaon gripped Shuyin’s wrist and whispered, “She looks like an angel, doesn’t she?”

Yunalesca began to slowly walk towards Zaon with her arm linked through her father’s. Yu looked as though his face would fall off if he didn’t stop smiling soon. As they reached their destination, he gently patted his daughter’s hand and then gave it to Zaon who accepted it willingly. He smiled at his soon to be son-in-law, "Take good care of my baby girl, you hear."

"I will." was his reply. The couple turned to face the minister and Shuyin gave his friends a smile as the minister began.

"Dearly Beloved, We are-"

Shuyin’s mind – and eyes – wandered to the beautiful songstress, Lenne, that was standing no more than a yard from him. Zaon wasn’t joking when he said that Shuyin was her biggest fan. He was always first in line to buy her new spheres and hadn’t missed a single concert – even though it usually meant driving to C-South which was almost two hours from A-East. Never in his wildest dreams did he think he’d ever be this close to her.

Why hadn’t Yunalesca told him that he knew her?

"Zaon" the priest said. "Repeat after me"

Shuyin snapped back to reality when he realized his tiny part in this ceremony was upon him. He handed Zaon the tiny band of gold that he held in his hand and watched as his best friend promised himself to Yunalesca forever. It made him almost wish for that himself.

Almost.

“You may now kiss your bride.” Zaon leaned in and sealed the marriage with a long and passionate kiss.

Shuyin waited until the two pulled apart before he grabbed Zaon and gave him a huge hug. Zaon squeezed him back and Shuyin said, “Congratulations, Zaon.”

“Thanks.” Zaon released his friend and grabbed his wife’s hand, kissing it gently. He smiled at Shuyin and then shouted to everyone in the room, “Let’s party!!”

Shuyin had never felt this stupid around a girl before in his life. He couldn’t force his legs to move and approach the beauty that was standing next to Yunalesca, drinking punch, and laughing.

Shuyin prided himself on being confident – especially around the fairer sex - but for some reason the sight of Lenne was making his stomach do cartwheels and the thought of food made him nauseous.

The touch of a hand on his shoulder caused the blitzball star to jump. He turned and faced Zaon who was trying to stifle laughter that seemed to want to flow from his mouth. After calming his mirth, Zaon asked, “Do you want me to introduce you to her or would you rather stand there in helpless lust for the duration of the reception?”

“I’m not …” the look on Zaon’s face made Shuyin stop and glance downward, embarrassed, before saying, “I’d like to meet her.”

Following behind his friend, Shuyin took a few tentative steps toward, quite possibly, the most beautiful woman he had ever laid eyes on. She and Yunalesca looked at the two men approaching them and Shuyin thought his heart stopped beating when she looked at him and smiled, “You must be Shuyin.”

Shuyin swallowed hard and opened his mouth a few times, but no words formed. He felt like a fish out of water and impulsively brushed his hand through his hair and just smiled stupidly.

He felt like a complete ass.

Lenne laughed and looked uncomfortably at Yunalesca and Zaon before saying to Shuyin, “And you’re just so talkative too.”

Shuyin felt what seemed to be a blush forming at the mere thought that this beautiful creature thought he was … anything but handsome, charming, and wonderful. He calmed his brain and forced himself to speak, “Yes, I’m Shuyin. Nice to meet you, Lenne.”

Laughing, Lenne shook his hand and said, “It can speak!”

Shuyin was about to open his mouth with a witty reply when he heard a shrill cry from behind him and his body tensed. He knew that voice, but from where?

“Shuyin!”

He turned around and froze. It was the girl in blue and her friend in pink – still dressed in their trademark colors. He hadn’t seen them since that night a month ago. Actually, he’d been avoiding them to the best of his abilities. They were good for one night, but the thought of having to deal with them for any more than that sent chills up his spine. He silently cursed Yunalesca for following through on her dream of inviting all of Zanarkand to the reception.

It was just his luck that these girls would show up!

“Long time, no see, Shuyin.” The girl in blue said.

“Whatcha been up to?” asked the girl in pink.

<Damnit! What were their names?> he silently searched his mind for their names. There were so many women in his past that he had a hard time keeping any of them straight which was why he had made it a habit of avoiding them when he could.

“You do remember our names, don’t you?” the girl in blue asked.

They started with L’s.

The moment of truth was upon Shuyin. He could feel three sets of eyes boring holes into the back of his head and he took a chance, “Sure I do, Lucy and Laurie…” when he heard Zaon groan slightly and saw the crestfallen looks on the girls faces, he knew he’d chosen incorrectly.

Pinky glared at him, “Shows how much you really cared.”

“Yeah!” blue girl hissed, throwing her drink in his face and storming off with her friend.

Shuyin stood there for a moment. Wine was dripping from his face and landing on his tuxedo. He didn’t want to turn around and have to face Yunalesca or Lenne. He knew Yunalesca had probably told Lenne all sorts of horrible things about him and this episode had just proven that everything she had probably said was true.

Yunalesca was not his fan.

Instead of turning to face them, he decided to make a hasty retreat. Dawn would be breaking soon and he knew exactly where he wanted to be and it certainly wasn’t there.

His favorite place in all of Zanarkand was just around the corner from the reception hall. He loved living in A-East where the sea was so close. He walked out onto the pier and gazed up at the sky. As the sun started creeping over the horizon, he heard footsteps behind him and turned.

“You don’t strike me as the type that would like a sunset.”

Shuyin’s eyes locked with Lenne and for a moment he forgot that he had come out to see the sunrise. Her smile disarmed him and he had to shrug off his sudden urge to run away from her. She was being so nice to him and he didn’t know why. She really had no reason to be nice.

Relaxing his over active mind, Shuyin motioned toward the sunset. “I love this sunrise, but you missed the best part.”

“What’s the best part?”

Shuyin grinned at the girl behind him, “The beginning.” He motioned toward the sky and said, “The city lights go out one by one. The stars fade, then the horizon glows, almost like it’s on fire.” He waved his hands as if painting the picture before her eyes, “It’s kinda rose-colored, right? First in the sea, then it spreads to the sky, then to the whole city. It gets brighter and brighter, till everything glows. It’s really…pretty

Lenne smiled and took a place next to him on the pier and gazed at the horizon, “It is beautiful.” She conceded, “You can’t see it so well in C-South. The smog tends to hide the skyline.”

“That’s exactly why I’d never want to live there.” He said, “In A-East you can take a deep breath and not worry about what organisms you just enhaled.”

Lenne’s laughter seemed to give Shuyin his confidence back and he let himself take in her beauty. Her brown eyes sparkled when she laughed and he noticed that she had a slight dimple in her left cheek. When her laughter stopped, she looked at him with seriousness in her eyes, “I think what you did to those girls was really rotten.” She said suddenly.

“You don’t know me at all.” He said, scooping to lift a rock from the pier and skip it across the water, “Neither does Yunalesca.” He looked at her, “You shouldn’t always believe everything she says.”

“Why not? She’s my best friend.”

Shuyin shook his head, “She just sees what’s on the outside. Yuna doesn’t take time to look on the inside of people and know the person. She doesn’t care that there is a beating heart inside. She doesn’t care about the reasons that someone does what he does. She just sees what’s on the outside.”

“So you’re telling me,” asked Lenne, “that you sleep with girls and forget their names but it’s for a good reason?” she shook her head and rolled her brown eyes, “Sorry, but I just can’t buy that.”

“You don’t know me at all. Don’t pretend that you do just because Yunalesca told you her opinions of me.”

Lenne nodded, “You’re right, I don’t know you. I don’t know you at all, but I came out here to try to.” At his questioning gaze, she smiled, “Tell me about yourself.”

“What do you want to know?” came the blitzer’s response.

“Well,” Lenne motioned to the sunset, “For starters, why do you like this sunrise so much?”

There were so many reasons why Shuyin loved this sunrise. It was quiet and peaceful; it made him feel like any and all of his problems were pointless in the grand scheme of things; it made him realize that there was a much bigger world out there besides Zanarkand; it made him want to be a better person.

All those reasons flashed through his head before he settled on the main reason he loved this place. He allowed himself a sad smile and said, “My father and I used to come here every morning before he would give me another lesson in blitzball. We’d skip rocks and discuss my plans for the day or school. Whatever I wanted to talk about. Mom would be in the house making pancakes and we’d sit out here in the quiet until she’d call us for breakfast.” He smiled at the memory and skipped a rock across the water, “Dad wanted me to be everything that I could be and to experience life from every angle. He told me that the most important thing in the world was to fall in love. He said that a life without love wasn’t a life worth living. He wanted me to fall in love – so deeply that I couldn’t get myself out of it.”

“Shuyin…”

The blond looked at the sunrise and sighed, “I don’t want that, though. Falling in love means opening yourself up for hurt and pain. I know what it feels like to lose people you love. My parents were my only family and they were taken from me. The mere thought of giving my heart to someone and then losing them…”

“Yunalesca told me what happened to your parents.” Whispered Lenne, “I’m really sorry.”

Shuyin shrugged and immediately forced his walls back into place, “Well, shit happens and there isn’t anything anyone can do to change it.”

“But that doesn’t mean that you have to shrug it off like it doesn’t bother you.”

Shuyin turned to her and squinted against the growing light, crossing his arms over his chest, “I don’t need a lecture on how to deal with the death of my parents – especially from someone who doesn’t know them and barely knows me.”

Lenne’s tender touch on his shoulder made him feel his defenses crumbling a little and he dropped his arms, “I know that.” She whispered, “I just feel like maybe if you talked about it instead of trying to act tough all the time that it might help.”

“How do you know I act tough?”

Lenne laughed, “Well, Yuna calls it conceit and arrogance, but after she told me about your parents I realized that, chances are, it was just an act. Am I wrong?”

It was Shuyin’s turn to laugh and he turned back to the skyline, “Well, I do think that I’m devilishly handsome.”

“There’s no law against stating the obvious.” Lenne said in a whispered voice. Shuyin wasn’t sure if he’d heard her correctly and turned to her with a questioning gaze but before he could ask the question he heard Yunalesca calling her from the reception hall, “Be right there, Yuna!” the brunette looked at her blond companion and smiled, “It was nice talking to you…Shuyin.” She said as she walked away from him.

Her retreating form greeted his line of vision and Shuyin’s stomach did another flip.

There was something about that girl…

He smiled to himself as he watched her walk back into the reception with Yunalesca, “Nice talking to you too…Lenne.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back